Fan Fiction ❯ MGS: DOA ❯ Chapter 8

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

----------------------------------------------------------------- ------
CHAPTER 8
The rain had become steadily worse as the river tossed her onto the shore. Gasping for breath, Kasumi shakily got to her feet. After leaning against a tree and catching her breath, she looked upriver. Not realizing how far she had come, she immediately sprinted back along the water. She knew she shouldn't be worried about Ryu, but something in her mind was frantically trying to get back, screaming at her to help. As she raced through the trees, the rain running down her face began to taste of tears, and for the first time, she feared for his life, not knowing why.
Nearly a half-hour had passed when she finally reached the shrine once more. She stopped and listened, praying for a sound, any sound except the pouring rain. But nothing broke the pounding of the downpour. Rushing to the stairs, she froze again. There was still a stream of blood running down the steps. Now gasping for breath, she ascended the stairs cautiously, not sure what to expect. The few shoji screens that remained standing were stained with red, the rest were ripped and splintered. As she entered the shrine, her eyes automatically flickered from patches of blood, to the gashes in the wood, to the bullet-holes and embedded shurikens as she pieced together what had happened. She could almost see Ryu charging across the room, his sword flashing through an attacker, then his kick sending a second through the wall. As she paced about the room, she could hear the gunshots and feel the endless onslaught of bullets. But of Ryu there was no sign, nor any bodies left to speak of how the fight ended. She knew that Ryu wouldn't have moved the bodies of his assailants, which meant… “he ran. He must have run…” Even as Kasumi whispered this she knew it was not true. He would never run, he was to stubborn, too… proud. But if he didn't run, that left only one choice, which was even more unbelievable. “He… they couldn't have…” As frantically as she tried, she couldn't come to any other conclusion. Ryu had lost.
She couldn't keep from sobbing, and thoughts of their last conversation came flooding back to her. Then her tears stopped. She said a short prayer for Ryu, then stood up and faced the door. “They were here for me.” Her whisper was quite but strangely cold, as though spoken by someone else. “If I'm the one they want, then they'll get me. I swear to you Ryu-chan, they'll get me, they'll regret it, and then they'll die.”
 
“So, Ayane, right?” She hadn't moved for almost ten minutes, Snake thought maybe she'd gone into shock. “I don't suppose you could fill us in on why DOATEC was so intent on finding you and Hayate?” At first she seemed to be ignoring him, then she turned slowly and glared at Snake. “You will address him as Hayate-sama, do you understand?” Not in the mood to argue, and not in the mood to start a fight, Snake corrected himself. “Hayate-sama. I see.” Bayman had gone to look for a place nearby where the chopper could land and Helena was resting by a tree. “Do you know what interest they have in Hayate-sama and yourself?” After standing up and brushing herself off, Ayane stepped up to Snake and stared straight into his eyes, as if trying to read his mind. “What business is it of yours?” “Well,” Snake shifted a bit uncomfortably, “let's just say I've got some unfinished business with them and your names showed up in the middle of it.” A thought dawned on her and she grinned. Snake found this to be scarier than when she was looking angry. “So you're the one. Tell me then,” she began to pace back and forth, “why did you break her out? Is she you're `unfinished business'?” She nodded towards Helena. “No, it wasn't intentional.” Helena looked up, “And I'm sure he's regretting it, aren't you.” She smiled and dozed off. “Sometimes.” He knew that sounded stupid, but the words were already out. “But” turning back to Ayane, “how'd you know about that any- wait, never mind. You must be the spy that Hayate was… Hayate-sama, was talking about.” Ayane flipped her hair around, “It seems you were paying attention after all.” Then walking up to him again, she began walking her fingers up his shoulder, “I have no idea why they came, I was hoping you could tell me.” Snake grimaced, “Stop that.” Ayane lifted her hand, acting indignant, “Now is that any way to treat someone who saved your life?” “Somehow,” Snake cooly answered, “I got the feeling you wouldn't have bothered if you hadn't been ordered to.” “Hmph.” She began to stalk off when Bayman returned. “Snake, I've found a spot and called in for an evac.” “Good, but we still don't now where to go from here.” “Oh?” Ayane chimed, “there were other names on your little list, weren't there?” Now she was acting coy. `Jeeze', thought Snake, `how many moods can this girl go through in two minutes?' “If you want,” she said as she kicked some stones around, “I know where to find them.” “Who asked you for help,” Bayman spat, but Snake held his hand up for quiet. “Both of them?” he asked cautiously. “Yes,” she answered slyly, “but if you don't mind, we can start with Kasumi?”