Fan Fiction ❯ ShadowBaby ❯ The Quest Begins ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter six The Quest Begins

All was calm, and all was quiet. All was still, and all was dire. Nobody stirred within the house. Nobody stirred amongst the house. The woods were peaceful, and everyone was asleep. Everyone except Anna and Andrea.
Anna sobbed quiet sobs as Andrea helped her search for the necessities she would need.
“Now, now,” Andrea said, “everything will be alright. You are going to have such fun on your journey. Let’s see…you’ll need this, and this, and this, and…oh you’ll defiantly need this.”
Anna wiped the tears from her eyes and managed to choke out, “Where am I suppose to go?”
Andrea continued to pack and finally said, “I don’t know my child. It’s wherever the wind carries you I guess. My master is in search of his body. The world he use to live in has changed dramatically over the years. For all we know his body might be next door, or across the plains. Don’t worry though my lady, he’ll be able to sniff out his body.”
Anna continued to sob, “Great, I’m on a hopeless quest. How does he expect me to get around? Does he expect me to walk?”
Andrea chuckled, “No, I don’t think he does. Remember he has been studying the human culture through your eyes. I bet he’s picked up a thing or two along the way and has it already planned out.”
Just then John fazed through the wall and said, “Hurry up, we don’t have much time. Andrea don’t pack so much.” He was holding a book behind his back. It was covered up by some torn sheets, so Anna couldn’t figure out what it was. She had learned it was better not to ask questions though.
Andrea bowed with acknowledgement and said, “Yes your grace.”
John ran over to the luggage and began to throw practically all of Anna’s clothes back into the closet. When Anna’s eyes were distracted her shoved the book inside and covered it up.
“What are you doing?” Anna asked as she ran over to pick them up, “Do you honestly think I can wear this outfit everyday?”
“No,” John snapped, “I plan to get you new ones on the road.”
Anna threw them back down and sat on the floor. John threw several items into the closet. Anna climbed in after them and began to hang them back up.
“What are you doing?” John asked with irritation.
“Well I want to give the look like someone abducted me. So they won’t think I ran away.”
“Why,” John asked.
“Because if you run away in this day and age, they can send you off to some boarding school or even juvenile to straighten you up.”
“Juvenile?” John questioned.
“It’s like prison, only it’s for kids and teenagers.”
John began to throw a tantrum. “This world is so pitiful,” he yelled, “back then we…”
“We’re not your era anymore.” Anna said as she hung the last of the shirts up.
“Damn it,” John shouted as he slammed his fist up against the wall inside the closet. In doing so some nails flew out and a piece of wood slammed down onto the floor.
“God,” whispered Anna, “that scared the piss out of me.” It took her a second to catch her breath and then she whispered, “For peek sakes, you need to learn how to control that blasted temper of yours. I’m gonna get caught before I even step foot out of this house it you keep that up.”
John wasn’t listening though. He had ventured over to the spot where the piece of wood fell from and peered inside. “Hey,” he called, “there’s something in here.
Anna joined him and looked inside. “It looks like a shirt,” Anna said as she picked it up. Several bugs fell from it and Anna instantly threw it down. “Nasty,” she muttered as she picked it up again and held it toward the light. “It,” she stated, “it can’t be.”
“What?” John asked, “What is it?”
“It’s my,” she started and looked it over more thoroughly, “it’s my, my mother’s jacket.”
“Huh,” John questioned, “that thing is to small for that wide load downstairs.”
“No,” Anna snapped, “my real mother. This is what she wrapped me in before she…”
“Before she…” John pondered awaiting the rest of the sentence.
“Before she gave me up.” Anna muttered softly to herself.
John looked appalled. He knew that those people she lived with weren’t her real parents, but she never mentioned what happened to them. He couldn’t even read her memories to find out for himself. She never really liked the subject whenever he brought it up. This was a major improvement though.
“Why did she give you up?” he asked as he stood in front of her.
Anna refused to talk about the subject anymore. So she changed the subject. “Don’t I have to finish packing?” she asked aloud as she carefully placed her mother’s jacket in the small suitcase.
John sighed with annoyance as he finished helping her pack. “There,” he stated, “all packed.”
“What’s our transportation?” Anna asked as she picked up the light weighted, small, red suitcase.
John smiled and said, “Why don’t you look outside.”
Anna walked casually over to the window. Her eyes widened with excitement as she saw a brand new motorcycle outside. ‘Ahhhh!’ he mind screamed, ‘My own motorcycle…how did he know?’ From her window she saw that seated two people and had a luggage holder for her suitcase.
John smiled and said, “It wasn’t easy grabbing this bad boy. It was worth it though. I’m a man of style and high class, and this baby has me written all over it.”
Anna smiled and started to run towards the door.
“Don’t run!” John said, “They’ll hear you.”
Anna stopped running and began to fast walk down the stairs and out the door. ‘Wait,’ she thought, ‘I don’t know how to ride this.’ She hesitated about getting on and soon she backed away in fright.
“What’s wrong,” John asked, “I thought you liked motorcycles.”
“I do,” Anna stuttered, “but I’ve never been on one. Hell I don’t even know how to drive.”
“I know,” John said as he motioned his hand, “that’s why I brought a professional to teach you…or rather possess you until you learn.”
Anna climbed up onto the bike and looked over all many wanders it had.
That’s when a rough looking biker stepped out from the woods. He matched the stereotype of bikers. He lingered over towards Anna and said, “Name’s Earl, Earl Lite. I’m, or I was, an experienced hog rider. I was the leader of the West Side Eagles. Old Johnny boy here says you need help in learning how to ride one of this.” His hand smacked the motor cycle, but instead of a clank sound his hand went right through it.
“I can teach ya, no sweat.” he stated as he pretended to spit a loogie, “He’s also givin me permission to inhabit ya body until you learn how to handle it yourself. Many thanks darlin, I miss the old feel of the wind at your back. Don’t worry though little missy, I won’t drain ya.”
Anna gulped and said, “Thank you…Mr. Lite.”
“Please,” he said, “call me Earl. I ain’t gonna back, so you don’t need to be all jumpy.”
Anna smiled weakly and said, “Okay.”
Earl glanced at John and said, “You got yourself a nice fine looking vessel there Johnny boy.”
Anna blushed and looked away. John coughed and said, “I guess so.”
Earl laughed, “Don’t be so modest, You don’t meet to many of them that like ride motorcycles anymore. Nowadays they want them there frilly pink Beetles, or them there ugly PT Cruisers. All they want is a cute looking thing. Well there’s nothing cute about a Harley Davidson.”
John smiled and said, “I guess you’re right.”
Anna still didn’t dare to look at them.
“So when are’s ya leaving?” Earl questioned as he thoroughly inspected the motorcycle.
“Now,” John said as he floated up beside Anna. He’s psychic ability aloud him to mentally pick up Anna’s small suitcase and place it inside the luggage holder. He tide it down to make sure it wouldn’t fall off.
Earl laughed, “Alrighty little missy. I’m gonna possess ya’s body. It might tickle a little, but don’t worry I ain’t gonna hurt ya.”
Anna gripped the handlebars with a viper’s grip as Earl plunged into her body. He was right it did tickle, but she also felt really cold when his sub zero temperature fused with her thermal heat. When it was all over John asked, “How’s the transfer?”
Anna looked at him with a lost gaze. Before she could answer though she felt her lips move at their own accord. A voice, not of her own, spoke. It sounded like Earls.
“Ten four good buddy,” Earl said as his psychic energy swept through Anna’s body. She felt like a puppet o strings as she watched herself start up the motorcycle and kicked the brake up. Her eyes lit with excitement as her body shifted and the motorcycle took off onto her driveway. Soon it was on the open road. No one was about and she felt glad. In a way it was creepy, but she focused more on the road then her mind.
‘How ya liken it so far,’ Earl asked her inside her head.
‘I love it,’ Anna shouted back to him.
Earl laughed with enthusiasm and said, ’Knew ya would.”
John, who was floating beside them the whole time shouted, “Our first checkpoint is Knoxville! We should get there in about an hour! That’s where we’ll stop and rest!”
Anna shouted back, “Where exactly do you plan for us to stay at?”
“I already sent scouts in search of a location!” John shouted, “I plan for them to possess some dweeb into giving us some room keys!”
“Gotcha!” Anna shouted as she exited off onto the interstate. There were some, not a lot, cars on it. Anna swerved in and out of them with ease. John shouted with enjoyment as he said, “Wahoo, I’m back baby!”
Anna couldn’t help but smile and shout to him, “You’re only halfway back!”
John ignored her though and continued to shout, “That’s right, John Spelling is back.”
Unbeknownst to John though, when he said his name it echoed amongst the astral plane. The vibrations carried it to a psychic of astronomical proportions. She was in the middle of a séance at the Livingsworth’s Mansion. They had reported that poltergeist was terrifying them. The psychic was asking the spirit to contact them and tell her why it was so angry. While her mind was picking up the psychic channel though she faintly caught a man yelling, “That’s right, John Spelling is back.”
The psychic’s eyes instantly flew open. Panic was written all over her face. “John Spelling,” she whispered as she slowly raised up.
“John,” Mr. Livingsworth asked, “is that the name of the ghost?”
Mrs. Livingsworth was eager to find out.
“No,” the psychic said, “this being is far worse.” The middle-aged woman ran throughout the house. A cross in one hand and a vile of holy water in the other. “Where are you,” she cursed as she barged into the master bedroom.
A small shiver went up her spine and the hair on her neck began to stand straight up. “Spirit,” she commanded, “I command you to show yourself. I have more important entities to catch now.”
The ghost did as she said and appeared out of the blue. It was an old looking woman. Sickly but wise, she looked.
Mr. and Mrs. Livingsworth happened to barge into the room at the time. Mrs. Livingsworth fainted when she saw the ghastly being.
“I know all about your new task,” the ghost said, “you wish to find the son of Eris.”
The psychic held up the cross and said, “Tell me where he is. Tell me where that demon child is.”
The ghost cackled, “Far away from here.”
“I have no patience for these childish games. I came to help you find peace and leave this poor people alone, but now I have a different purpose for you. I advise you to cooperate with me.”
“Do not threaten me,” the old woman warned.
“I am not threatening,” the psychic said, “if you were still able to remember how to be a living person you would help me.”
“Feh,” she scoffed, “I wouldn’t help you.”
“If you were still alive you would be able to see through my eyes. You would have sided with me instead of HIM!” she shouted.
“True,” the old woman said, “but I’m dead. I have no remorse for what will happen. You cannot expect the dead to betray the one they serve. Unlike the living we are extremely devoted to one person.”
“But what will happen to your descendents? Don’t you care about your beloved master killing them?” the psychic asked as she stepped toward the old woman.
“I do,” she said, “but they’ll soon join me along with you. If you were dead you’d see it from my point of view.”
“And if you were still alive you’d see mine.” the psychic sighed as she pulled out a small corked bottle.
“You wouldn’t,” the old woman gasped.
The psychic uncorked the bottle and said a small chant. Then a mist enveloped the old woman. Her spiritual powers were sucked into the small bottle. A shriek escaped her lips as the psychic shoved the cork back into the bottle.
“Mark my words,” she whispered, “I will seal you back into the pits of Hell.” The psychic finally exited the house and walked over to her car. She grabbed her cell phone and dial a number.
*Ring, Ring, Ring* An insane ringing sound was heard inside the Mount’s household. It was late and he couldn’t figure out who would be calling at one in the morning.
“I’m coming,” Mr. Mount hollered as he ran down the stairs. He finally reached the phone on its seventh ring and gruffly asked, “Hello?”
“Ben,” a woman’s voice asked, “Ben is that you?”
“Yeah,” he answered, “who’s this?”
“Ben, it’s Holly,” Holly said as she placed her cell closer to her face.
“Holy,” Ben questioned, “oh Holy, hey how have you been?”
“Good,” Holly said as she started her car up and pulled out of the Livingsworth’s driveway.
“Hey,” Ben whispered, “I thought we agreed not to call each other unless it was important.” He smiled as his lovely daughter, Melinda, passed by. She looked at her dad in a strange matter, but ran off down the hall and into her room. “Look,” he whispered, “none of my family knows I’m a psychic alright. I’d appreciate it if you didn’t call this number again. If it’s important or something, call my work number or my mother’s phone.” He was about to hang up until he heard Holly shout.
“It is an emergency,” Holly shouted, “someone has resurrected him.”
Ben casually put the phone to his ear and said, “Him…who’s him?”
“John,” Holly muttered, “John Spelling.”
There was a pause on the other end. “John Spelling?” Ben questioned, “Why does that name sound familiar?”
“Oh my god,” Holly groaned, “you can’t even remember him. He’s Eris’s son nitwit.”
“Eris,” Ben stuttered, “you don’t mean that ruthless kid that killed for fun?”
“I do,” Holly said.
“It can’t be.” Ben stuttered.
“it is,” she said, “I heard him say it himself. I was doing a séance when I heard his voice. It was faint but I heard him say his name and that he was back.”
“This is bad,” Ben whispered as he sat down on his black leather recliner.
“Gather as much of the others as you can,” Holly demanded, “I’ll gather as many as I can too.”
Ben agreed and asked, “Where did the voice come from?”
“It was faint,” Holly said, “I couldn’t read it, but Jin should be able to. She can decipher messages like that.”
“How will she be able to decipher it when she didn’t hear it?” Ben asked as he went to the fridge to get himself a beer.
“That’s where Tory comes into play. He can tap into people’s minds and send them to anybody of his choice. We all have special gifts, Ben. I need your ability to sense through touch to help track down his trail.”
“We’ll need Marge,” Ben said, “she is able to astral project herself and lock onto any given energy signal. Marge can help figure out where he is.”
“Only one problem with that theory,” Holly said, “we don’t know who he’s inhabiting at the moment. He can possess anyone at any given will. If we do manage to track him down, he’ll just pass his soul onto the next person he sees.”
“Right,” Ben said, “but it could help us once he finds his body.”
There was a long pause before Holly finally said, “If he finds his body…we won’t be able to stop him.”
“He’s that strong?” Ben asked aloud.
“Yes,” Holly said, “he’s vulnerable while he’s a ghost. He has to feed off of human life to live. Once he gains back his body though he’ll have no weaknesses and he’ll have the un-limitless power of the afterlife.”
“Wow,” Ben said, “this guy is unstoppable…but we are the followers of Melissa, we should be able to take him down.”
“No,” Holly muttered, “Melissa had every psychic ability known to man. She wasn’t just a powerful psychic, she was a goddess. It took an enormous strain on her body when she sealed him away. Hell after the seal of truth, she wasn’t able to perform her psychic duties any longer. We are novices compared to Melissa.”
“I know,” Ben sighed, “but when Melissa banished him to the deepest pits of Hell, she proved he could be stopped. If we combine our power we should be able to destroy him once and for all.”
“No,” holly said, “the only one who could do that would be Melissa’s descendent.”
“Right,” Ben sighed as he popped open his beer.
“We could channel our energy and find her. We could teach her the ways of Melissa, but it might take years before she is able to face him.”
“We don’t have that kind of time,” Ben muttered, “once John finds out that Melissa’s blood still flows throughout somebody, he’ll surely seek him/her out and kill them.”
“Right,” Holly said, “but Melissa’s descendent is our only hope…once he finds his rotting corpse of a body. Only she/he can destroy the army of the living dead. Only she/he can return John to the deepest pits of Hell. The only thing we can do is bid some time and seal him away in his book, if he’s still a spirit.”
Ben nodded and said, “I know, I know, so…when do we leave?”
Holly thought for a moment and said, “Call up everyone you still keep in touch with. I’ll do the same. We will rendezvous sometime tomorrow. Ask if they can meet us somewhere in Knoxville.”
“Will do,” Ben said as he hung up the phone. He then hesitated before he picked it up again and began to dial another number. It rang several times before a giddy female voice picked up and said, “Hello.
“Hello,” Ben said, “Is this Marge?”
“Who may I ask is speaking?” she asked.
“It’s me Ben, Ben Mount from Clarksville. Sorry to call you so late.”
A long pause occurred before she screamed, “Ben, oh my God, it’s been ages. How are you?”
“I’ve been better.” he stated, “Are you busy tomorrow?”
“No, why,” Marge asked.
“Well we kind of have this problem and we need to gather everyone from the old gang.”
Marge’s voice clamed down and she asked, “What’s wrong?”
“You remember Mr. Clone reading us the story of Melissa?”
“Yes,” she answered.
“Well do you remember the part where she battled a vile demon named John?” he asked.
“Uh huh,” she stated as her ears perked up.
“Well you remember how the book described him, don’t you?”
“Uh huh,” Marge said, “he was a vile creature that killed innocent people for fun. He was more powerful then Melissa, but luckily she found a way to bring him down for good. That story gave me nightmares for weeks.”
“Well prepare to start having them again.” Ben said as he sat down his beer.
“What are you talking about,” Marge asked.
“According to Holly she heard him.”
“What!” Marge screamed.
“Believe it,” John said, “she heard him though her psychic channel. He said his name and that he was back.”
“No,” Marge whispered.
“Marge,” Ben whispered, “we really need your help on this one. He’s still vulnerable while he’s in his ghost faze. We need your ability to channel in on his psychic energy and track him down. Holly is rounding up some of the old gang herself. Marge, we need you.”
Marge began to choke on her tears. “I’ll do anything in my power,” she cried as she heard Ben say, “Thank you.”
Ben whispered encouragement to her and said, “Don’t worry, you’ll do great.” The lines were both cut off after Ben told her where to meet him and Holly at.
Meanwhile Anna was still riding along the interstate. The wind was furiously swiping along her face. Her hair blew every which way.
Anna yelled, “John!”
John looked over and yelled back, ”What!”
“I can’t stand this wind!” she yelled.
John noticed that her hair was a wreck and her eyes were squinting. “Alright,” he yelled, “next exit pull of and I’ll swipe you a helmet.”
Unfortunately the next exit was a good five miles.
“Never mind,” John shouted, “I’ll swipe you one now!” He flew off ahead of Anna. After five minutes he returned with a floating helmet trailing behind him. They were both flying at a rapid speed. “Here,” John shouted as he placed the helmet on top of her head.
“Thanks,” Anna shouted; she no longer felt the harsh wind suffocating her face.
Earl laughed to her, ‘Most people can’t handle the wind. It’s nothing to be ashamed about.’
Anna smiled and said to him, ‘I’m not ashamed.’
John soon got bored of flying next to Anna and decided to sit right behind her. His eyes glanced over at all the cars as they passed. Some of them glanced over at Anna and whispered to the other people that were inside. He could read their lips and found them talking about how late it was, how that girl over there should already be home, and how there was a sale at Goody’s later on in the day.
Finally they reached the exit for Knoxville. Anna gulped as she turned off, with the help of Earl still, and rode off onto the main exit road on I 40. When she finally reached the boarder line of Knoxville she happened to glance around. She was somewhere downtown. There was a bunch of homeless people walking around the bridges she went under, and many buildings that seemed to date back to hundreds of years ago. When the street sign came into view, Anna squinted her eyes to read the sign. It read that she was on a street named…Gay Street. An inward chuckle tingled on her closed plump lips.
“It’s just up ahead!” John shouted as they passed by the Tennessee Valley Theater. The motorcycle reeved up its engines and turned right near a closed Café shop. That’s when they finally saw the hotel in which Anna would be sleeping at.
It was a grand looking place. From the old fashioned street lights to the old fashioned pillars. It had a lot of elogance and old fashioned taste, but it was a beautiful sight. Old world houses often are a lovely sight. Anna yawned as she parked her motorcycle in the parking lot they had behind the hotel. It was a small parking lot, due to the size of the buildings around it.
Anna kicked the brake down and took off her helmet. Next she carefully got off and removed the keys to her new motorcycle. Then before she could start walking toward the hotel she felt a sudden jerk. Her whole body froze up and a shock went up her spine.
Earl reemerged from her body and gave out a loud grunt. “Man,” he said, “what a ride. You have to ride this baby more often. I could use the stretch every now and then.”
Anna sighed with relief and said, “I don’t know, my body still isn’t use to this whole possessing thing.”
“Don’t worry,” John said, “after a few more days of Earl possessing you, you’ll get use to it.”
“I hope so,” Anna said as she stretched her arms.
“Now,” John said, “the game plan is this. I will possess the hostess and make her give you a room key. Then once you enter your room, I’ll contact Andrea and she’ll fly up to see us.”
“Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa,” Anna interjected, “I thought that when you possess people you make them go into a coma.”
“Uh,” John muttered, “yeah, but I don’t think me inhabiting her for more then five minutes will kill her.”
Anna sighed with annoyance and said, “Alright, but try not to drain her to much.
“Wouldn’t dream of it,” John said as an evil smile graced his lips.
As she was drifting off into sleep she heard Andrea’s voice say, “Sweet dream, my lady.”