Fan Fiction ❯ The Light of destany ❯ The past ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Sky: Ah, I'd nearly forgotten about this old story, sorry about that. *Cough* Let me find the disclaimer under all this dust…*Cough Cough* Okay, here we go.
 
Disclaimer: Destany is © to Me, Kitsune Lore provided by sites on the internet and Jake King
~~~
 
Destany found herself in a large cavernous hallway, lit by torches that as she passed, lit with blue flames. Along the walls, she found statues of kitsune, the myoubi, kyuubi, and other higher kitsune, and beneath them sat vases of flowers and incense sticks, all the same kind, making the hall smell like spring. As she walked, she couldn't help but notice that there were a few people in the hall aside from her, humans, at that, that looked like ghosts, praying to a statue. She'd stop once or twice, staring at them, but they didn't respond to her stare or anything. Finally, she got to the end of the hall, where there sat a statue of a young girl, the flowers had long been wilted in the vases, and the incense had burnt out; no one seemed to care for this child.
 
“So sad, isn't it?” A voice sounded, this voice being deep and harsh, the mere sound of the voice made Destany jump, “Yes…it is…”
 
Her own voice sounded like it belonged in someone else's mouth, that it wasn't hers. “They've forgotten you, so long ago, you were worshiped like one of us, they used to come to pray to you too, to stop the Queen's reign before it was too late…it's still not too late…but we must act quickly.”
 
Destany sighed. “It seems I'm always in a rush, but…I don't know how quick I am to catch on to things…” By this time, she'd turned around to find no one there.
 
“My dear, you don't know how wrong you are, it took you one time, hearing this language, that you picked it up.”
 
“What?”
 
“If you can pick up a language this quick, it won't be long before your memory is restored.” By this time, a small Asian dragon had squirmed its way from behind the statue, sitting on it's hinds with a chuckling glance. “Turn around and look down.” The small dragon said, while it put in some new incense, and lit it. This smell added a new smell to the aroma, that of peach blossoms hit the air, and a few people looked up from the other statues, toward the new source of the incense, but looked back down to where they were at moments later. “So…they still remember, somewhere.”
 
Destany did as she was told, looking down. “Oh my, such a little lizard has such a big voice!”
 
“LIZARD!? I'm no lizard. This is just the form I take when I'm in this place, MUCH easier to light the incense from down here.” It huffed. “Let us get out of here…we're disturbing the prayers, and perhaps, at the end, I'll show you my true form.”
 
Destany knelt down, offering her hand to pick the little creature up, but instead, it hopped away.
 
“So…what is this place, exactly, and who am I speaking to?”
 
“The hall of prayers...is where we are…All of these statues are of the kitsune that protect humans, and when someone prays to them, their prayers are divided up depending on region, to the kitsune that have devoted their lives to protecting them. Some people ask for protection, others for wealth or power, or a bountiful harvest. As for who I am…you've come here to see me, so you should already know who I am.”
 
“A little lizard like you is Susanoo? I expected someone…bigger.”
 
“I thought I told you that I'm NOT a little lizard? Eh, well now…we're here, let's begin.”
 
The pair found themselves in a doorway of great proportions, there was a throne at the end of the room, but on the sides, there were small tables, and sitting mats for people to rest and have tea. In the center, there were two more sitting mats, and a pack of incense.
 
Susanoo was the first in the room, leading the way, “Please, have a seat.”
 
Again, Destany followed, and took a seat on the sitting mat, sighing softly. “So, where to begin?” A soft smile crossed the muzzle of the dragon.
 
“Where it all began…your spiritual change,” A cough, and a scroll appeared behind him, tapping it with his tail, he opened it to the first part, and stepped away.
 
“The reason, you weren't there, when the people called you, is because we had to find your soul, for one, and then, for another, you had to be changed, my child…This process caused many deaths for the kitsune…but to bring you back, we thought it was worth it. Your soul, had to be combined with many of ours…but we kept yours on top of all else. You have all the abilities that they did, and all the knowledge, as well as your original abilities…which, to any extension, was being able to understand any language, as well as many other things that you will soon discover. Those though…have to come after your past.” A pause, “Which, I think you know some of.”
 
“Well, I know one part of it…my…death…”
 
“ Alright, then we'll start at the very beginning. You weren't born as royalty, but in poverty, your mother was alone, and could only raise you until you were past being nursed, and left you on the doorstep of the palace. The current queen there, being moderately nice, took you in. You were older than her daughters, and her son was much older than you. As you grew up, you loved the music that was around you, harps, violins, even the French horns from the trades; none of the nonsense that is palace these days, but you probably didn't hear any of that. people would come to you with their arguments, you seemed to have a talent for fixing them, and as time grew, you began to see the spirits around you, kitsune and lupine. Some of them were there because they wanted help, others, as you found, wanted you to die, and tried to make it happen.”
 
“So…that lupine...from my dreams-”
 
“Is one that wanted to kill you…and from the looks of things, he might have, had the gods not been watching over you. I'll tell you what; today's been a long day for you. Sit in here; meditate for a bit, I'll make sure that nothing disturbs you…as long as you're here.” With that, he lit a stick of incense, and scampered off, leaving Destany to think. Her eyes closed, breath slowed, and as she began to remember, her body gave way and she began to sleep, sitting up.
 
~~~
Sky: That's all for this chapter, sorry it's not longer, but yeah, not bad for a `welcome back'.