Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Predetermined ❯ Day 6 ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Okay I know this one's probably the longest but oh well…. It's fun. Especially by the end heheh it has kinda a shonen ai moment ^ ^= kawaii
 
************************
 
I was seeing more of him and it annoyed me some of the times, but the challenge it provided was always fun. Sometimes I won, sometimes I tied with him, but mostly he won. Vincent trained with me, he being not <I>that</I> much older than I was, but he was skilled in most areas more so than I, which was sometimes annoying. In a higher position, the pressure of his competition forced me to train harder to try to beat him, to learn skills that would later help me in life. Despite my regards to want to know why Vincent had been specifically asked for joining the Turks, I had yet to find out.
 
I couldn't help but think that sometimes he let me win, and that made me feel weak. How could someone who just came out of the blue already claim a high rank, without even earning it? I wanted to show him up, childishly, if only just once. My opportunity came sooner than I had first hoped.
 
“Tseng?”
 
“Yessir?”
 
“I want you and that Vincent fellow to run a request for me. Shouldn't be hard; just some negotiating,” President ShinRa asked gruffly, fingering his blonde mustache, heavy set eyes glancing from me to a portfolio. “Vincent will cover for you. I trust you two to get it done.”
 
The plump man handed me a secured manila envelope, which I accepted as we exchanged nods.
 
“You're dismissed,” he said with a wave of the hand. Politely bowing, I left the room brusquely sweeping the halls in search of my companion. He wasn't in the office, or in the lounge, or in the reception hall…but he was in the garden off an obscure path from the battle training facility. Having looked at the papers on the way here, I knew the guy I had to talk to, his cronies, any possible threat based on their reputation, as well as our situation and what had to be covered.
 
He was sitting on a bench, one foot propped on his knee, arms spread across the back of the cast-iron bench. Vincent surveyed me quietly. Throwing the folder on his lap, I pocketed my hands and waited for him to say something. The dark haired man rifled through the papers, skimming the information before standing and giving me a nod, tucking the folder under his arm.
 
“All right then,” was all he said as he walked past me, hands tucked into his own pristine pant's pockets.
 
“I'll be waiting at the car in a few moments,” I said blandly, my pace brisk as I walked past Vincent, my arm brushing his. I wanted to clear my mind and solidify the plan churning in my head; questions, answers, and back up plans. Walking through ShinRa, people mulling about and chattering, my steps ringing hollowly once I reached an empty, narrow hall. As I turned a corner I found Reno looking back and forth suspiciously, obviously on watch for someone like me who would interrupt whatever he was doing.
 
I slunk back around the shadowed corner before the redhead spotted me. He looked around once more before casually stepping forward; pivoting on his heel and whistling he pulled out a lock-picking key and vandalized a lock on a door near the end of the hall. I was about to say something and stop him, but the door opened with ease and he disappeared before I could. Surreptitiously, I followed behind him, the door ajar as I waited, allowing Reno time to take his mind off the door and attend whatever he was doing. Slipping inside, the room was dark, veiled with a dim light from several low watt bulbs hanging under tattered shades. The room was filled with boxes: we were in a small storage room. Standing behind a stack of boxes with files and credentials that were long-time expired I kept my eyes on Reno as he disappeared into a mountainous pile of moth-eaten boxes.
 
Stepping forward, I heard him crooning softly, soon accompanied by a low growl. Muffling my footsteps I carefully traced Reno's path, stopping in shock a few feet behind him. A light and heat lamp hung draped from a spilling box midst the small cove of cardboard, shining over a messy nest of newspaper and hay. Snuggled in the center was a rather large reptilious animal, something like a komodo dragon-wolf cross breed, yellow eyes flecked with red and glaring. Pine green scales glistened, merging into shaggy silver, snow-capped fur wrapping around the shoulders, down the chest and to the tail. The crooked elbows and hocks were feathered the fur tinged red from the light. The creature snapped its mouth with a chop, tongue flicking out like a purple ribbon, slick and poisonous, teeth razor sharp and hooked fangs overlapping its bony jaw. Its head twitched and the monster gave me a sideways look. Reno was still murmuring to it, reaching a hand out, slowly, as if to pet it.
 
The thing growled, then hissed as it opened its mouth, eyes still on me. Reno's hand retracted and he turned to look behind him, question dashing from his eyes as he recognized what the threat was, his eyes landing on me. He opened his mouth, trying to figure out what to say surprised that he had been followed. The creature crouched protectively, ready to pounce, hissing a grumble that turned into another growl. It didn't look happy. I glared at Reno, eyes narrowing before my gaze fell on the creature again.
 
“Reno, what is this?” I demanded, gesturing towards the reptile that hissed viciously, its head following my hand like prey. Reno stumbled for words, then finally managed, “It's a guard pet for Rufus.”
 
He crossed his arms defensively.
 
“And what are you doing here?” he asked me in turn, as if he had the authority to even ask.
 
“A guard pet? I thought a Blood Taste pup was being trained right now for him?! Reno, what on earth is this thing? It's not one of the training ground monsters,” I chastised, firm despite the hint of a complaining whine that was creeping into my voice. I really didn't want to put up with this. Reno shrugged.
 
“Hojo mated an Under Lizard with a half bred Kalm Fang and Behemoth and this is just what turned out.” I smacked my forehead, pinching the bridge of his nose. If only I could just give him one sock in the mouth, it'd really make my day.
 
“And why are you training it for a guard pet?” I was tapping my foot as Reno stepped closer the beast, off to the side and allowing the animals a clear leap towards me. The Turk shrugged again.
 
“Dunno. Just seemed like Rufus could use a playmate is all. What with you being his babysitter and all. Sorry Tseng but last thing I checked you were still boring as hell, and something tells me the little brat doesn't want to learn all this fancy mumbo jumbo to `clear his mind and be at peace.' In fact, the last time I checked, he was setting fire to a young chocobo's tail and letting it loose in the presidential quarters.” I gaped at him.
 
“Being able to think clearly is what helps you get through missions alive Reno, unlike you who seems to run in and panic,” I stated defensively. The cross-breed growled warningly at me once more as I took a half step forward eyeing it warily.
 
“Come on Reno, be logical here. If Hojo wants to create these monsters for experiments, let him. For all we know they may be useful. But don't try to coddle the damn things into being a submissive puppy. They're beasts! They can't be trained that way!” Reno's face fell and he stuck out his lower lip like a stubborn child who didn't get his way.
 
“Rex is gentle! He wouldn't hurt anyone!” Reno said, stomping his foot in a tantrum.
 
“Good lord you named the thing?” I muttered, rolling my eyes. “Come on Reno, let's get the thing back to Hojo's lab. I'm already late for a mission.” I reached out to grab Reno when the beast he had named Rex, lunged with a ferocious snarl, sinking sharp fangs into my forearm and crunching down. I howled, jerking my arm back, the creature still attached and not about to go anywhere.
 
Its hind legs stood erect on the ground, despite its anatomy, its fore-claws scratching awkwardly at my skin. It tore at my flesh, jerking back and forth like a hungry done, the bone in my arm splintering with a sickening crack. Reno was yelling and pulling at the lizard-wolf's tail, giving it commands, which it ignored. Reaching my left hand to my belt I pulled my gun and cocked it, slower than I should have because of the overwhelming pain, blood trickling and gushing down my arm in rivulets.
 
“Don't shoot it!” Reno shouted, desperately tugging at Rex's lower body, arms now wrapped around its back legs. I was about to shoot Reno in my annoyance but hit the thing on my arm in the face with the butt of my gun. The first time it snarled, hot breath on my arm, eyes like daggers as it glared, intent on chewing my arm off. After another wallop, it shrieked and let go, slithering through my legs and quickly climbing a fallen rafter up to a control box near the ceiling.
 
It opened its mouth, fangs dripping crimson, and hissed at me triumphantly. Swearing, grabbing my arm out of pain and to decrease the blood flow, I swore violently, kicking the ground once and glaring death in Reno's pale, scared direction.
 
“Wouldn't hurt anyone would he?” I hissed, every intention of torturing both Reno and his `pet' just as soon as I could, evident in my voice. Turning with a flourish, I stormed out of the room, muttering curses under my breath as I made my way to the hospital wing, dripping every step of the way.
 
 
<b>Later</b>
 
 
My arm was still throbbing. Cura had healed it for the most part but I was still a little weak from blood loss, and the signature bruises didn't help to quell my pain. The mission had gone a little rougher than it could have been, but most missions weren't that easy or convenient—even if it was just negotiating. After getting cleaned up at the hospital wing I headed out, equipping some materia at the front desk before I left.
 
“Come across something?” Vincent asked coolly, pushing his shades up his nose, starting the ignition as I took the passenger seat.
 
“You could say that,” I responded with a grunt, buckling myself in. The car pulled forward smoothly, sun glinting off the tinted windows, the overhead sky scattered with storm clouds, dark and grey.
 
Thunder sounded in the distance as our sleek black car wove slowly through a deserted section of sector three, one of the better places of the sector, albeit complex in its road system. We pulled around and stopped in a VIP parking space right in front of an abandoned work building. It was rundown, appearing to be forgotten only recently. Stepping out of the car, Vincent removed his shades and looked levelly at me.
 
“Ready?” he asked in a low tone. I nodded. A brief case was produced from the back seat before the doors were locked with a beep. Accompanying each other, I stood erect as I walked up the concrete steps and pushed my way through the smudged glass doors. The front room was a casual waiting room with a desk for making appointments, a dead tree in one corner, and dirty floors.
 
Chairs and couches had once lined the walls, but you could see where they'd been removed: the floors were cleaner and less dusty where furniture once stood. We wandered over to an elevator, but in vain as I checked the button leading up. No electricity ran through the building, or at least not to service the elevators.
 
“Here,” Vincent said, indicating an unhinged door to the stairwell. Leading the way, we traveled up several stories before the stairs ended, our flashlight being the only source of light. Luckily for us it was a fairly small building. I took a breath. Despite earlier circumstances with `Rex' I felt confident and ready. I was used to this. Knocking on the cream-white door, the brass numbers rubbed odd, I heard a murmur and a shuffle before the door opened inward. The room was dim because of the clouds outside, but a single battery powered lamp sat on a desk which held up a pair of tanned, nicely shaped legs.
 
The owner, Mina Shisakawa, sat with half veiled eyes, arms crossed and observing. Thick black hair was twisted in a knot, braids hanging down and long bangs trailing about a thin but shapely face. We entered the room, a small but brute and stocky, rather hair—if I might add—ape of a man closing the door and shuffling to stand, hunched at Mina's side. Despite the report in our possession, I was sure that the information was wrong. Mina looked too much like a woman to be considered a man. He stood, a red velvet, collared, sleeveless shirt buttoned low, reveling a flat chest. True his shoulders were too broad to be a woman's and his hips too narrow, but his face told a different story. His pouting lips were glistening with lip-gloss, and his aqua green eyes were framed with thick lashes and black eyeliner.
 
Gold glitter powdered his pretty face along his cheeks.
 
“Mr. Shisakawa,” I bowed formally. He wasn't a well-known yakuza leader yet, but he was playing his cards right, and given the chance, he'd be climbing the corporate ladder and infiltrating ShinRa before anyone knew it. He smiled, but it looked more sinister than friendly.
 
“Please, call me Mina,” he cooed, voice like silk, flowing and soft. His name certainly was befitting for his appearance. “Have a seat,” he gestured towards the couch situated in front of his desk. He seated himself on a padded chair adjacent to us, crossing his legs as we sat, stiffly, though not uncomfortable.
 
“Mina,” I tried, unsure and not like the name, “we've caught wind that you've been harassing some of our employees and even a few of them have lost their lives because of it. Quite a few have quit and ShinRa doesn't take too kindly to that.” I felt in control, dangerous and leaving no room for games.
 
The short brute cocked a pistol pointed straight at me. Mina laughed, waving a manicured hand at his crony.
 
“Now, now Buzz. Straight to the point I see.” He clasped his hands around his knee. “It's not <I>me</I> coercing your employees; it's my henchmen. And it's not work hours. The affairs off their schedule shouldn't affect you. Besides,” he said before I could comment, “they've been <I>personal</I> affairs.”
 
“Personal off the clock?” I asked, eyes narrowed, body tense. Mina nodded, having leaned forward, his head cradled in one hand.
 
“Such as hiring our services and stiffing payment on our interest rate. Petty crimes really, but my men are willing.” We knew Shisakawa ran a miscellaneous business sustaining assassinations, investigations and fraud, impersonating, and looting. Could our employees really be scandalous enough to hire for an assassination? It wasn't unheard of and the criminals we were against were rather obscure, but nonetheless, their actions brought dispute to ShinRa's promising reputation.
 
“Oh? You don't think your people would ever do something like that?” Mina asked, reading the features I blatantly hid. The pride and respect of ShinRa company was not the question at hand.
 
“We have an offer, if you'd like to name the provisions,” I said sternly, lips pursed. “Shinra would be glad to see its workers arrive safely.” Mina smiled a coy, mischievous smile.
 
“I can't <I>control</i> my men; I <I>manipulate</I> them. If you want them to stop attacking, you need to deal with them yourself. However, if you do, I might have to charge you for assault.” I wanted to roll my eyes, but the truth was, the twisted man was right—to an extent. If we had to we <I>could</I> single out Shisakawa's henchmen and assassinate them, but if even one hair was left behind, ShinRa could be found and it would be left to me to throw them off and distract them from the situation.
 
“You `own' these men, yet you allow them to commit felonies? They may act on their own free will, but your requests and influences are unacceptable!”
 
Vehemence was creeping into my voice. It didn't help that I was getting a headache from the throbbing pain in my arm either. Curaga couldn't even help that. The girly-man was leaving me with little room to maneuver, but an idea to bribe trained bodyguards into civilian duties on the street was cultivating in my head. We could hire just enough to men to observe our employees when on the streets and single out Mina's henchmen that way. If intimidation didn't work, bribery usually did. All gangs and yazuka groups needed a sufficient amount of money and they had to get it somehow. If we did end up paying Mina, we could get it back later if he decided to step up the ladder. If he did take the money and continued to target our employees, we'd have all the more reason to come in and permanently end the actions.
 
We'd see about these personal affairs.
 
“Nonetheless too many deaths from ShinRa looks as if we're irresponsible to our duties and we're <I>not</I>.” Mina sat back, stretching his legs out and placing his hands behind his head.
 
“Hmm… I think I'd like a nice hot bath ready,” he mused. Buzz nodded, eyeing us before waddling off stumpishly, grumbling. The only options were to defend ourselves or else single and take out his men. I sighed. The last thing President ShinRa wanted me to consort to was a bribe, but nonetheless it was a option less tried. I looked to Vincent for the briefcase but his eyes held warning. Was he telling me no? Narrowing my eyes slightly, dangerously with a threat of putting the older man in his place, he stood, clearing his throat.
 
“We'll look further into this matter Shisakawa, and we'll do whatever needs to be done,” Vincent said, voice low and unrevealing. I gave him a questioning look which I quickly obscured as I hastily stood, catching up to his long stride as Vincent exited the room.
 
Glancing back at Mina once to see him watching us suspiciously, I followed Vincent out the door and down the hall, passing the elevators. Before I could question him I ran straight into him. He has stopped right before the door leading to the stairs that would take us out of here. Thunder grumbled in the distance.
 
“Shhhh,” he whispered, easing the door open, shifting the briefcase to his other hand as he slipped into the stairwell. Peeved but not saying a word, I followed him, shutting the door gently behind him. It was pitch black.
 
“Don't lose me,” he whispered, barely a breath as he groped in the dark for my hand. He enclosed my fingers with his palm, his hands much warmer than mine, and held tightly as he pulled me slowly along, me keeping one hand on the wall for guidance. I felt hot as I trailed behind Vincent, brushing against him now and then as our pace was stumbling and slow, smooth transpiring to a halt. The third time I bumped into his back I opened my mouth, only to close it again as I heard a faint noise. It had started to rain outside, but the thick walls muffled the sound of falling droplets pelting the building without heed. A rasp was heard, a shuffling scrape of feet, and the dragging of something large. An odd rattling of breath escaped from something so close to me I thought I was about to become part of the wall for pressing so close to it.
 
What the hell was that, and what I wouldn't give for some light. A growl emitted from my left. There were two of these things, whatever they were. Barely nudging my head to see if I could train my eyes in the pitch-blackness of the interior of the room, I almost gasped upon seeing glowing red eyes rather bright for as dim as it was. Vincent squeezed my hand, I think more because I had been clutching it I a death grip and he was warning me not to run or scream than the fact that he might have been clinging to me in fear. The thing lumbered past, slowly, wobbling precariously, as if about to collapse, yet somehow maintained balance. It shuffled the last few steps onto the landed where a curious gurgling noise sounded. Another pair of glowing red eyes showed themselves from around the corner. We were that close to freedom with only these two things in our way. Vincent backed me up silently, slowly, as the two creatures took interest in one another. Where they came from or what they were, was beyond me. They smelled earthy, faintly of decay. They were obscured for a moment before a suctioning like noise was heard, followed by short twin cries of what was unmistakably pain.
 
There was a silence before the thing turned to us both pair of eyes side by side, swaying as they drew near.
 
“Hold this and don't drop it,” Vincent whispered, pressing something cool into my hand. “When you turn it on, stun the monster by shining the light in its eyes.” I nodded, heart thumping erratically. As Vincent slipped away from me. My eyes were trained on the duo pairs of glowing eyes, shuffling toward me. For a long moment I was paralyzed, having forgotten what I was supposed to do. My monster trained wasn't extensive enough to cover things like these, especially not in the pitch dark; I hadn't gotten to that point in my training, but nonetheless those were generally left up to hit-men and henchmen. I held up what Vincent had given me, searching for a button to turn it on, fingers brushing over cool plastic. It was a flashlight. There was no button. I swore to myself as the thing drew closer. I could almost feel Vincent's anticipation. The creature was gurgling in the back of its throats, four eyes, looking around before continuing so slowly toward me. Trying to combat the fear that gripped me and the sweat that ran into my eyes, I searched again. The thing was feet away from me. Fingers worked frantically. Where was the damn button? The thing stopped before me and I froze, fingers unconsciously twisting the flashlight in my hand. Glorious yellow-white light pierced the darkness, revealing the horrible monster.
 
The two had fused together at the torso, revealing twin heads, viciously triangular teeth. It's lanky arms hung dully at its side, much too long in proportion to its slick, skeletal frame. The thing leaned toward me, blinking and unafraid of the light. It drew closer, inches from me, breathing a rattling, rasping breath, an insane smile on its face, those eyes glowing like hot embers. Several shots rang out and the beast took them to the back of both its heads as well as its back. The now limp body lurched forward as the beast died, stubbornly despite its wounds, a purplish green colored blood spattering the stairwell from the impact of the bullets. I shuffled back, hastily trying to get away from the thing as it fell, but I only managed to trip, twisting my ankle in the process and landing hard on my butt. A shot from the monster's right sent it sprawling against the wall to its left, barely missing me but at least not landing on me. I pulled my feet in, avoiding the touch of the sagging creature's flesh, the pain in my ankle flaring up as it was jostled. Vincent took long strides to reach me, face drawn but unfazed.
 
“Are you okay?” he asked in a low voice, soft and concerned but harried at the prospect of the need to get out. The briefcase had been propped against the wall. My heart was still jumping wildly, caught in my throat as I tried to swallow to respond. I knew I was pale, my eyes wide and shocked, but light-headedness came over me, and before I could respond, I had fainted.
 
 
<b>Again, Later</b>
 
 
When I had woken, I was lying on a couch near a window, rain pattering against the glass, the sky grey with turmoil from roiling the clouds. The storm would worsen through the night. My first thoughts were confused and muddled but I was able to collect my wits and piece together what had happened. That monster had been so close. I shuddered, sitting up. My ankle had been bound, my attire slightly changed for ease. Instead of the top half of my suit I wore a small robe, tied loosely at my waist. It was navy blue with a fancy 'S' for ShinRa on the breast pocket. My shoes were missing also. Vincent walked in from his observation in the doorway, two cups of steaming tea in either hand. He smiled faintly, more so with his eyes than his lips as he handed me a cup, crouching next to the couch in front of me.
 
I took the cup with a nod, sipping gratefully. I had fainted. Me, a Turk….. had fainted during our mission. I felt bitter, then angry as I thought of why. Vincent had led us down there, and didn't even bother using the flashlight until later.
 
“Vincent,” I demanded, a little harsher than intended. Wincing at how I had addressed him, I closed my eyes to ease myself. I was too uptight and taking it out on my `elder' wouldn't do me any good. He looked at me questioningly, those red eyes soft and curious. Changing my voice to better suit a more casual conversation I asked, “What happened after……I fainted?” I said this last part reluctantly. Vincent's eyes half veiled, as if he felt my sorrow and shame for having passed out.
 
“I caught you,” he said, sipping his tea and standing with a sigh. He was controlled and calm. His emotions belied by his stolid face, an image I was always working to perfect. I was jealous of my inabilities to attain what he could so easily.
 
“I took you outside to the steps where the rain had somewhat abated,” he continued with a shrug, hands in his pockets. I took an inventory of you. You hadn't gone into shock, which was good, but your ankle had twisted.” He motioned to my bound foot, which I nodded to in acknowledgement. “So I carried you, laid you in the back of the car and took you here. The hospital wing took care of you and I stole you away.” Vincent sat next to me as I made room for him, a hand on my shoulder to prevent me from moving. I wanted to shrug his touch off but he did something I wasn't expecting. Gently massaging my neck and shoulders, he was firm enough to work my muscles loose, but gentle enough not to hurt. It felt good.
 
“I didn't think you'd want to stay in the hospital, and the ladies in the ward were polite enough to let me take you.” He continued a moment, his hands were a little rougher, though delicate. “You're much too tense,” he murmured. My face felt hot. Was I…..blushing?
 
“Do you want me to massage your back too?” Vincent asked, massaging between my shoulder blades. I couldn't respond, even if I had wanted to. My voice was lost somewhere.
 
*****************
 
 
You better review cause you DEFINITELY wanna know what's coming up =D