Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Predetermined ❯ Day 8 ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I know I haven't written much, but there hasn't been much to say. My ankle has healed. Rude came in the next morning, making the obvious observation that I looked tired. Sleep hadn't been nice to me but eventually befell me, and my internal alarm went off at its regular time of 4:30 in the morning. He sat for awhile and asked questions with only one-word answers. Eventually he left. I wanted to see Vincent again, but then part of me was dreading seeing him next. He stopped by on a surprise visit that evening but only long enough to check up on me and make sure that if I needed anything, that I got it. I haven't seen him much the past few days; I've seen him in the hall, but I haven't found the nerve just yet to apologize.
 
It's almost killing me not to, but I agonize the prospect of doing so nonetheless. Hojo asked again about how the journal was doing again and I merely shrugged. He was too caught up in business to probe further but I wouldn't doubt if he'd find me on his own time to ask again. Rex, that…. Monster that Reno had was found by a few SOLDIER's and was shot. Reno of course was mortified and Rufus merely looked grim when he found his soon-to-be pet was dead. The monster had tried to attack one of the unwary men and out of defense he had killed the bastard. Good riddance.
 
There is one notable thing to record. I've been hearing whispers around Hojo about work from Professor Gast, a scientist who has been researching the Cetras; the Ancients. Apparently one was found in the Northern Crater, called Jenova. As far as I know the President has kept this fairly contained but the information seems to elicit a ripple of excitement and apprehension among the other scientists. The body of the specimen was moved to the lab in Nibelheim a day or so ago and I was able to meet Gast himself when I accompanied President ShinRa to meet the man at ShinRa's mansion.
 
Curiously, Vincent was there as well, grim faced beside a sweet and bubbly girl, Lucrecia Crescent. There was talk about continuing Gast's work with Jenova and that Lucrecia and Hojo would assist Gast. There were rough sketches and ideals but nothing of importance was given away; at least not in my presence. The last I heard before the President met me in the hallway to leave was, “Vincent, I know your ties with Lucrecia were never the best, and I'm sorry about your father, but I want to appoint you safeguard of this `mission.' Make sure the scientists are safe and please report to me periodically. That is all.” The burly blonde president emerged in the dank underground hallway.
 
“Hojo wanted to see you,” he said with a nod before heading toward the stairs. “Don't make me wait, I have matters to attend.” Quickly, as composed as I could, I re-entered the laboratory via a heavy wooden door to find murmurings and pages flipping.
 
“Ahh Tseng, good to see you,” Hojo mused, stroking his chin as he wandered toward me, stepping outside and closing the door behind him, my arm in his other hand.
 
His grip was strong and cold, and made me shiver.
 
“About this journal,” he inspected me with one beetle-like eye. “I will need whatever you have written within the next couple weeks. It's important before we begin all of our ….. experiments, you see. Be a good boy then. Give it to Vincent if you can't find me. I should be here. Yes… Jenova hmm…? And an Ancient…. Now then…” He released his grip, shuffling back to his lab, seeming to forget I was even there. I picked up my pace to catch up to the President before the clock started ticking again.