Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Predetermined ❯ Day 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

It has been too long, I fear. Life has gone on. I have been distracted, but still my mind wanders. I've read back through this journal and remember. Nothing has been heard from Hojo, Gast, or even Vincent as of late. Too absorbed in their work, I presume. I still plan to burn this journal, but I will use it as an excuse to slip out and see if I can't find out what these scientists are up to with the Jenova Project.
 
<i><b>Later</b></i>
 
Night has finally fallen, a cover I can easily work under. I didn't want to risk flying, although it would have been easier, but instead took the ship from Jeuno Harbor to Costa de Sol. Ah it was tempting to stay on the white sands of the beach, but at night it seemed ominous. Nibelheim was warm with the glow of lights, the night air cool, and no one was about. ShinRa mansion stood proudly, perched on a slight hill, all lights out. The well oiled gate swung open with ease and the house itself was even unlocked; whether it was a sign of carelessness of the return of someone later, I don't know. Across the Persian rug, up the ornate stairs, into the master bedroom, I crept through the dark and empty house. An owl hooted as I slid the door to the winding stairs aside, cringing at the grating sound. As I descended, my heart was in my throat. I was intruding upon business that wasn't my own, and my excuse wasn't a very solid one unless I was a convincing actor. I was down the steps and outside the lab door before I knew it. I took a short moment to breathe in deeply, the earthy air damp, luminescent in the faint lantern lights that glowed from the beams on the ceiling.
 
I was about to knock when I heard a crash of glass and muffled voices. Silence ensued. I stood outside the door, holding my breath, anticipating the door bursting open on me, but there was nothing but silence. Deciding to gather my wits for creeping in would seem obvious that I heard something, I casually opened the door and peered about as I nonchalantly strolled inside. An avid glow prevailed about the room with running liquids and burning flames, flasks, and beakers brimming with who knew what. Pages were strewn about and a table in the middle of the room was cleared. I heard arguing from within the library area and cautiously crept up behind a shelf, muffling my footsteps as best I could. I was eavesdropping, but I didn't plan on getting caught either. I rambled towards the library where I heard voices. Now, I could either hide and blow the cover of my excuse, or expose myself, give my cover-up story, and not learn what was going on. My decision was made as Hojo's voice grew louder, closer, accompanied by the muffled sounds of someone else's footsteps. A female's voice was heard.
 
“Vincent, this is a huge breakthrough! I'm willing to try this experiment for the sake of science. I know the consequences—”
 
“It's wrong,” Vincent replied firmly, repressed agitation lacing concern.
 
“It's <i>my</i> choice! Vincent, this isn't like before and I'm <i>not</i> interested in you! Things can't be the same.” There was a short pause. Something happened before between Vincent and Lucrecia, but what? Unless I hacked into ShinRa Headquarters' identification files, I wouldn't know, and even then it wasn't entirely likely that I would find anything. Hojo chuckled.
 
“Well, whenever you're finished bickering, I'll be in the lab, Lucrecia.” I had quickly crammed myself behind a stack of books and behind an overstuffed leather armchair propped in a corner. The scientist paused, the hem of his white lab coat stained blue and brown, and he looked around, as if searching for stowaways. Satisfied in his paranoia that no one had crept in to disturb his work, he left.
 
“Lucrecia, listen,” Vincent's voice was low and almost tender, “I'm not blaming you for my father's death. That's all in the past. But… to subject your body to…..<i>experimentations</i> to Jenova's cells is ludicrous!”
 
“Grimoire's death didn't have to happen. I'm sorry Vincent, but I can't have anything to do with you. Now do your job and leave me be,” the girl replied, voice wavering firmly, trying to attain stoicism. She didn't sound like the kind of pushover who would cry unless her ego was badly bruised and then—
 
“I am to keep you safe and I will not allow these ministrations. That half-hearted, misinformed, supercilious bastard has no right to try to convince you otherwise.” A sound of skin against skin was heard with a loud, thick slap.
 
“Don't you <i>dare</i> call Hojo that! <i>That man</i> is the father of the child that will soon be the first living Cetra, and above all, Hojo is a genious! That <i>bastard</i> is my soon-to-be husband,” Lucrecia vehemently spat, storming off behind the twisted scientist. I could see tears glistening in her eyes, her brown, almost auburn hair bouncing in a ponytail.
 
All was quiet with the occasional clink and shuffle from within the laboratory. Vincent sighed.
 
“Come on out Tseng.” The hair on the back of my neck prickled. Had he seen me? I felt him slump against the end of a bookshelf. He waited, and finally I decided it wasn't a ruse. Emerging from behind the books, I sheepishly stood before my comrade whose head was down, eyes closed, and was pinching the bridge of his nose. He opened one eye partially, his ruby gaze half veiled by dusty lashes.
 
“Why are you here?” he asked in a low voice, almost whispering. Before I could answer, he shook his head. “Never mind. Come on; follow me.” He slowly walked back into the library, I following behind, unsure. At one of the bookshelves in the back, behind the desk stacked with various books, Vincent revealed a hidden latch that, when loosened, allowed the bookshelf to turn around as a hidden door.
 
In silence we entered the tunnel and as we walked in the faded light, dim electric lanterns hanging on rusted hooks above our heads, the compression of silence was deafening. I could see the red patch of a hand print on his left cheek where he had been slapped. As we walked in silence, and odd thought struck me: Professor Gast wasn't in the lab. I meant to ask but by the time I thought to, the end of the tunnel was already in front of us. We reached granite steps that lead to a door in the ceiling, which led to the backyard of ShinRa mansion. Under the starlight, the velvet of night loomed ominously. At the door, on the lawn, Vincent looked down at me, shadowed face weary and distraught.
 
“Does it hurt?” I asked, indicating his cheek.
 
“Not as bad as other wounds,” he said softly. I was alone with him, and my mind was screaming but my body locked. What the hell was I doing? I wrapped his body in my arms in a close hug, my head on his shoulder. For a split second I thought he was rejecting me, trying to ignore me, but I felt his strong arms around me and I shivered. He hugged me a little tighter. I felt numb and I think my heart had stopped beating.
 
His fingers were in my hair, stroking the loose ebony strands and tangling his fingers. I turned towards his neck. He was so warm. What the hell was I doing? I felt so absorbed, so enraptured, I wasn't even controlling my own body. I wanted him and there was no way I could deny that. His skin was so smooth….
 
“Tseng.” Vincent had his hands on my hips, pushing me away. He shook his head.
“Not here.” He averted his gaze and re-entered the tunnel under ShinRa mansion, closing the door and leaving me by myself in the lonely night.