Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Predetermined ❯ Day 10 ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

It was two days later and storming hard. The afternoon could have been a premature midnight as roiling black clouds tousled against the ice grey sky. I was taking my dinner and planning time to stay home and try and get this man off my mind. Lying on my bed, staring out the window at the dark sky, it was muggy and damp in my apartment, the saturation from outside permeating my room. The air conditioner had broken for the second time this month, but despite the thin shroud of sweat on my skin, I was quite comfortable. I had taken off my jacket and tie from this morning, my white shirt unbuttoned down the chest, and my usual navy blue pants were traded for black jeans. The rest of the late afternoon and evening I wouldn't budge, just try to sort out things—until there was a loud knock at the door. Ignoring it until there was an insistent third knock, I reluctantly got up and took my dear sweet time opening the door. If it was anyone from ShinRa I would shoot them and throw them over the railing into the rain.
 
Except Vincent. After staring at his drenched form a moment, he spoke.
 
“Will you let me in? I would like to talk with you,” he said softly, the pummel of rain nearly drowning him out, raven hair dripping. I stepped aside. Suddenly my brain kick-started, but my voice failed me. Silently escorting the Turk, I went through my bedroom to the bathroom, finding a few towels for the sodden man to use. He thanked me as I handed him the towels and proceeded to dry himself as best he could. Back in the kitchen I flicked on the lights and set water on the stove to boil for tea.
 
“You'll have to excuse me but I don't plan on staying so long,” Vincent explained when I asked his preference of tea. “I appreciate it, but really I don't have time. I know the other day when you snuck into the lab you overheard me arguing with Lucrecia. I ask you not to look further into this matter. You know something that no one should know, and given the information leaked, ShinRa would at the least have a damaged reputation. I don't agree with what Hojo and Lucrecia are doing, but my job isn't to stick my nose in their business; merely to protect them, as you are well aware.”
 
I watched Vincent as he looked at me, surveying me with wary eyes, the towels folded over one arm.
 
“What happened?” I blurted out before I could stop myself. Why was I having so many Reno moments? Vincent looked quizzically at me, his slighted eyebrow the only gesturing suggesting his questioning look. “I mean, between you and Lucrecia. And your father?” I was digging into something I shouldn't be. His face grew pursed and steely, his countenance straightened and somewhat stiff at this forbidden mention.
 
“I told you that is something not to go looking for. Whatever you overhead is all that needs explaining; nothing more.” There was an uncomfortable silence as the storm blew on, the water just only beginning to boil.
 
“I've come mostly on account to ask you to stop pursuing me. I have little interest in you Tseng, and although I find your antics amusing in the way of friendly competition and concern for a comrade in arms, that is all. I ask you to please stop thinking of me in ways you shouldn't and start concentrating on your work more. You'll fall behind if you start chasing distant fantasies.”
 
He looked at me with a steady gaze as he said this, leaving me dumbstruck. I knew I was rather obvious but I didn't think it was <i>that</i> blatant. He nodded at me, draping the towels on the back of a chair.
 
“I've made enough excuses to the President about your lack of attention and detail in your work. You're becoming lax and absent-minded, Tseng, and if I'm the cause I will remove myself from your vicinity and relation as much as possible. Good night.” The kettle sang as Vincent departed.