Fire Emblem Fan Fiction ❯ Fire Emblem: POR~Funny That ❯ Funny That 5: The First Prompting Lesson; So What's With The Swords? ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Fire Emblem: Path Of Radiance~Funny That
Genre: Romance/Humour/Drama
Pairings: Ike+Elincia. Slight Ranulf+LetheBoyd+Titania
 
I haven't done a Fire emblem fic before, so I just figured, hey, why not?
Disclaimer: Well, if I owned it there would be lots and lots more classes than there is : D
 
Stefan might decided to do a little…tweaking shall we say with the lesson time table now that Shinon and Gatrie have arrived. I can't say what kind of tweaking, but I suppose you can guess…Hee hee, I had fun writing the Lethe and Ranulf bit in this : )
 
Funny That 5: The First Prompting Lesson; So What's With The Swords?
So, where we left off, quite a lot of people were falling asleep in their seats, two were snickering and being smug, one was in a rage and one was…well, getting rather beaten up. After all that melodrama passed, there were two new recruits to the lesson…Shinon, being Rolf's bodyguard had enrolled in Mia's class and any upcoming lessons. Gatrie had followed him after being smacked by the peasant girl Andrew had gone after. He had bypassed said prince, whose hand was planted on his left cheek, obviously hiding something.
 
Ike mumbled something as he stretched. He wouldn't be half surprised if everyone one of the Greil mercenaries ended up joining in. Lethe against Titania, who was dragging the majority in would be rather heated as Lethe did not like getting told what to do…and then there was Mia herself. She had proved that behind that innocent childish exterior, there was a…tantrum based childish interior, so therefore would also prove to be quite hard to bring into the class. Well actually, she'd probably find the idea fun and join in willingly, without being a bodyguard, being all Sensei like, being slapped or dragged in. Hmm, it would be a first. Titania prevented anyone who came into the room from leaving, so that would explain the two lance guards sitting at the table, twiddling their fingers. They were supposed to be on duty, but were stuck listening to Mia go on about team spirit and how in dire situations we should always support each other. It made sense, but if she didn't halt with her team spiritedness they would be spirits…lucky them, ne?
 
“Someone knock me out,” Ike grumbled silently, causing Titania's ears to twitch, “I'm trapped with childish fools, my sister, Stefan, bow equipped Shinon, two over obsessive females…”
 
He was cut off when a fist slammed down on his head. Everyone jumped, save for Boyd who was in a very deep sleep. Sweating, they turned their attention to the KO'd lord and the balled up fist belonging to a certain red haired paladin. Well, the term be careful what you wish for certainly applied here… Stefan whistled tunelessly at Ike, before flicking his green haired fringe from his eyes. It was always the males that got hit, except for Shinon, though he did some of the `getting his hands dirty' anyways…
 
Gatrie had been pelted with arrows, Ike had been bonked, Boyd had been whacked by Titania at some point in the lesson for drooling in his sleep and Stefan had been beaten within an inch of his life, chased, restrained and forced to sit through lessons…now, Rolf had been whacked over the head with a sword, but at the moment if you remember, we're referring to the males that got hit, not any other gender…
 
“Hey,” Gatrie whispered to Mist, “doesn't assertive Mia look very…hot?” Mia slumped in her chair, rolling her eyes. Gatrie beamed and gazed dreamily at her. “I mean, I always have loved spunky her too…”
 
“Really?” Mist replied sarcastically, brushing hair out of her face. Gatrie began to frantically nod his head, before turning back to face the babbling Mia and rested his chin on his knuckle, letting out a content sigh. There was another eye roll from the preteen. Considering he was always encased in his armour during the day, it was supposedly a relief to have such a light and mindless head…
 
“Hey,” Rolf said in a hushed tone to Stefan, “I'm…sorry.” Stefan blinked in a confused manner, before his lips curved up in a smile.
 
“Oh, no, don't worry Rolf, you're forgiven…”
 
“Ooh! Sensei Mia! Stefan's just spoke to me!”
 
Sweat sped down his face. Mia paused and glowered dangerously at an affronted Stefan. Recovering from the post shock, Stefan wanted to get his hands firmly around the boy's throat…but Shinon was evidently…sitting next to him. Yes, Rolf was on Stefan's right and Shinon on his left. Why? Because of Mia's screwy seating plan or she was not innocent and wanted Stefan to suffer.
 
Though, deep within his heart, he knew there was no point in trying to convince Mia Rolf was just as guilty as he himself was. She would say something like `Ya think I don't observe things now?' Or what not, but it was still unfair. Well, there HAD to be something Rolf had done wrong, just something…
 
“BAKA! YOU DIDN'T WAIT FOR MIA TO ANSWER!” Titania screamed. Titania herself was sitting opposite Rolf and hands slammed on the table, their foreheads were touching, gritted teeth from her as well as an angered face. Rolf looked pleadingly to Shinon but the sniper simply shrugged, signifying he had got himself into trouble this time…and proving he was smart enough not to interject while a red in the face Titania was an inch away from him…
 
“Hey Titania, lemme deal with Rolf and Stefan,” Mia told her, “I can do fine.” Titania gave Mia a half hearted glare.
 
“Well, you didn't help when you answered him.”
 
“Well, yeah I suppose…”
 
“And Stefan and Rolf always fight so immaturely..,” mental eyeroll from Stefan, “Why place them together? What in all 7.8 hells possessed you to do it?” Mia appeared thoughtful, before she beamed at Titania.
 
“I was hoping that would help them sort out their differences.” Mia explained, her usual smile gracing her features.
 
“Hardly.” Rolf and Stefan chorused, crossing their arms and looking in the opposite direction of each other.
 
Titania shook her head in dismay while Mia merely blinked. And then slowly but surely, a grin made its way across Boyd's face and then the slumbering boy's head shot up, startling most of the group. He waved at them all, before rubbing his eyes and raising his hand. Mia blinked, before she nodded at him.
 
“I've got an idea. Make them sort out their differences by fighting.” Ike woke up and whacked Boyd upside the head. Boyd rubbed his sore spot, glowering at Ike. “What the hell did'ja do that for?” He barked.
 
“Well, if anything happens to Rolf, Mist sure won't heal me if ya know what I mean…” he muttered. Boyd blinked, before sighing and patting Ike sympathetically on the back.
 
“I know, I know…I got a snotty little tattletale for a brother and you got a temperamental sister…”
 
“Hey!” Said snotty little tattletale brother and temperamental sister argued back. While the siblings argued about names, Mia transferred herself into a state of deep thought, while Stefan yawned loudly. Then, Mia snapped out of her deep thought a pure smile on her face.
 
The squabbling between the four was abruptly halted when two medium sized swords were dropped upon the table, clattering upon contact. Stefan glanced over at them curiously, eyes intent upon the blades. Rolf, startled, gawked in an incredulous manner at Mia who grinned and crossed her arms.
 
“What's with the swords?” Shinon enquired in an uninterested tone, though he was bursting to know. Mia gaped at him.
 
“The idea Boyd just said.”
 
Half the people there fell face forward anime style, while Boyd, clearly surprised, pointed to himself in a similar way Ike had done before.
 
“Someone actually listened to my idea?”
 
Mia nodded, glancing to and fro Stefan, who were still marvelling over the swords placed upon the table. They looked quite new and glinted in the sunlight that seeped in through the windows. Rolf stared at Mia, took in a deep breath and then exhaled quickly.
 
“So, let me get this straight…you want me, a twelve year old bow user to use a sword miles to big for me against a swordmaster with a sword?”
 
Mia nodded dumbly, wondering what all the fuss was about and Stefan smirked smugly. He looked superiorly over to Rolf, whose response was an enraged scowl back in his direction.
 
“Don't you think it's a bit much?” Shinon chided, making Rolf nod his head frantically.
 
Mia shook her head this time, patting Shinon on the head. He recoiled and hissed at her. Mia picked up the sword and waved it in front of Rolf's face, who in turn visibly paled. A little archer against an experience sword master…hurmph…
 
“So c'mon. Are you gonna do it Rolf?”
 
“Of course I am n…”
 
“Chicken…”
 
“…OT going to back down STEFAN.” Rolf snapped back, glowering at Stefan. Mia clasped her hands together and beamed at them, dropping the sword so it fell onto Rolf's lap. She picked up the other one and handed it to Stefan who took it with a gleeful one which read in-between the lines of `Oh I'm so happy' and `I get to kill Rolf!'
 
Rolf gulped when he realised what he had gotten himself into.
 
Why did he let his pride get in the way?
 
In fact, whenever did this pride accumulate?
 
He stole a quick glance at Shinon, before making his mind up.
 
He'd have to sue Shinon for allowing his persona to rub off on him.
 
Funny That 5: The First Prompting Lesson; So What's With The Swords?
 
“Rrrriiiiiiiggggghhhhhttttt. And now I suppose you're going to tell me that the sky is green?”
 
“Oh shut up.” Lethe snapped back, whacking Ranulf upside the head. The male feline sighed, rubbing the place she had whacked and closing his eyes, a thoughtful expression sliding into place.
 
Lethe was so embarrassed. She had no idea what had possessed her to write it down on a piece of paper anyway. Maybe for not telling Ranulf it was a more secretive way to get it off her chest? But she had left the paper. Why had she been carrying it with her? Why did she have to lose it at that time and place? Like Ike had been complaining about, she felt the kamis aspiring against her. At first she thought he'd had too much strain, but now she was rethinking that theory…
 
Now at this particular moment in time, she was trying to convince Ranulf, whom she had known all of her life, that it was not her handwriting and he wasn't buying it. She really didn't blame him. A part of her was actually worrying about the fact that if he did, his mind may have been severely damaged at some point.
 
“Look Lethe. I KNOW that was YOUR handwriting. Nothing you do, say or attempt is going to change my mind.”
 
“Not even an attempt to kill you?” She replied in a somewhat snake like tone.
 
“Nope.” He stated, shaking his head.
 
Lethe felt her muscles tense up. She should have figured she wasn't going to get out of this. Ranulf knew her very well, which was kind of scary; because Lethe didn't usually let beorc or laguz, save for Mordecai get too close to her and she was finding Ranulf too close for comfort…it was really not a good thing for her health. Stress could cause wrinkles…
 
“Ok look Ranulf,” she sighed, tucking her hair behind her ear, “I just didn't want to show you in case it put you…in an uncomfortable position.” Ranulf scratched his chin tentatively, before he grinned.
 
“Why would it make me uncomfortable?” He queried.
 
“Gah! It was implying we were the two cat lover's baka!” She exclaimed, her outburst grabbing the attention of a person lurking in the shadows. Ranulf blinked again, before an odd look graced his features.
 
“Does it bother you that much?”
 
She froze, gawking at him in surprise. Her mouth hung open and she was about to speak, before a figure walked into the scene. Soren nodded at the two, red eyes observing them quietly. Lethe shivered and glanced to and fro them, before nodding as an acknowledgement of a goodbye and speeding off. Soren looked over his shoulder in confusion, but looked back to Ranulf when he reached his feet sighing. Soren, expression once more impassive, rose his brow towards his laguz companion.
 
“Do I want to know what your problem is?”
 
“You don't.” He grumbled, casting his gaze to the ground. Soren's other brow rose.
 
“Which means I do.”
 
“You don't need to know.” Ranulf growled, trudging past the branded. Soren looked on after him, feeling a bit perplexed. Ranulf was not usually one bothered, but his spirit seemed down and hampered with. Decidedly, he should not have interrupted at the time when Lethe was going to speak. So he began to wonder what exactly was going on between Ranulf and Lethe, he heard muffled sobbing.
 
Soren blinked and his feet absentmindedly led him to the source of the noise. He entered a room with the door slightly ajar to find a figure slumped on the floor. The figure turned out to be…Lethe?
 
Her body suddenly jerked and she gaped at him, though the look was also vice versa from Soren's point of view. Soren could not believe this. Lethe crying? Something was definitely wrong.
 
“What are you doing here?” She snapped in a croaky voice, trying to still the tears running down her face. Soren flinched at the venom in her voice. Firstly, if a male sees a female crying, they have to comfort her, right? Well, Soren was not very good at that kind of thing…secondly; this was not some damsel in distress. This was Lethe…he pictured if he dared even touching her shoulder he'd end up with no hand. But then again, the poor female looked so fragile and he had messed things up by coming in when she was speaking to Ranulf.
 
The sage sighed and knelt down, staring at Lethe cautiously. He gulped and reached out to her, placing his hand on her shoulder. She blinked and snarled at him, feeling sweat gather on her face. He gulped and laced his hand on her other shoulder. (A/N: And no, there is no SorenLethe romance : | ) She narrowed her eyes at him, but he just rolled his eyes and drew her into a hug. She immediately stiffened. The sage glanced around warily, stroking her back in a comforting way. He had finally figured though psychically tough, when it came to emotions she was unfamiliar with, she was extremely shy and vulnerable.
 
“Ok, ok. I am not good at these kind of comforting things, but I suppose you should just…you know, cry your worries all out or something like that.” She then told herself to relax and her body complied as she clutched the sage's cloak, sobbing it. Soren felt extremely violated. His cloak was getting drenched and it took ages to dry the thing. Oh well. This was the price of being the nice guy.
 
Lethe's sobbing subsided to only sniffles as he continued to rub her back. He was glad Lethe didn't cry for too long, but he has figured she was alien to the word tears. Ah well, laguz or beorc, beorc and laguz emotions are one in the same…
 
There was a loud crashing sound, and Soren whipped his gaze over to the doorway to find…Ranulf there! Soren paled, gritting his teeth. He just knew he had been somehow caught up in one of those cliché story lines…
 
“Oh ah…sorry to bother you. I was just getting…things.” He remarked, tone ringing with jealousy. Soren inwardly walloped himself and quickly released Lethe. Ranulf scowled. Whoopsie. That looked like Soren was trying to weed his way out of hugging Lethe just because Ranulf was there. The sage made a mental note not to ever comfort someone again if these were the consequences. If he found someone was writing this drama, he'd definitely magic their heads off. (A/N: Le gasp! I must run for shelter)
 
Ranulf turned to the side, beginning to rummage around for some kind of item he had just decided to find to preoccupy his anger. Meanwhile, upon Ranulf's entrance, Lethe had gone stone rigid. She also knew the male laguz had gotten the wrong idea, but what shocked her was the amount of jealousy in his eyes and voice. But why was he jealous? Was it possible that he..?
 
No, no. That kind of feeling from Ranulf was impossible…right?
 
Soren knew he had to fix this right now, otherwise the awkwardness between Lethe, Ranulf and himself would be very overwhelming. He left Lethe's side and went to Ranulf's. The laguz ignored his presence as he shifted a large block in an attempt to find anything.
 
“You know, you can stop looking for the thing you are not trying to find.” He stated coolly. And, to the mild surprise of Soren, Ranulf did stop and turn to face him, yet he and Soren's eyes interlocked. Ranulf's glare pierced Soren's cool and collected look, making him shudder. He had never before seen such jealousy, anger or on and off flicker of possessiveness at the same time in the same place. (A/N: Right…this is getting a tad too dramatic here. Let's just cut it sort, ne?)
 
Before Soren could explain the circumstances this situation revolved around, Ranulf turned around on his heel and stormed off, slamming the door behind him. Soren stood in silence, before whacking his hand to his forehead. He hated clichés.
 
Funny That 5: The First Prompting Lesson; So What's With The Swords?
 
Sweating, the young boy raised the blade, studying it carefully. Stefan grinned merrily, taunting Rolf by spinning his blade with professional ease. Boyd had been bribed into being the referee, in exchange for being taught how to write poems for a very secret purpose CoughcoughImpressTitaniacoughCough. Shinon had a wary look in his eyes; Gatrie was telling Mist about how fascinating he found Mia while the girl herself sunk into her chair, wanting the torture to stop. Ike was watching with an intrigued look and Mia was clapping. Titania just smirked, crossing her arms.
 
“Y…you know you can back out at any time.” Rolf squeaked out, earning a brow raise from Stefan. The green haired master halted with the swinging of his sword, grinning madly at the quivering little boy.
 
“I'm gonna cut you up…”
 
“Boyd!” Rolf exclaimed in terror, staring at his brother pleadingly. Boyd blinked and stopped to think. He did suppose Rolf needed some help. The poor boy was frightened enough right. And, it wasn't like Stefan had a murder intent (you see, Boyd is very blind) so there was no problem. Besides, Boyd was still cheesed for Rolf ruining what Boyd had constructed over a month for Titania. He simply shrugged and beamed at his brother, giving him an encouraging wink.
 
“C'mon, don't be scared! Show us you're a man!”
 
“I'm twelve!”
 
“Then you've got an early puberty!”
 
“Enough dawdling!” Mia cut in booming, an ecstatic expression lingering on her face, “It is time to start!”
 
Rolf centred himself while Stefan impatiently rotated his arms. The archer finally raised the sword, pouting in a `You can't beat me' way. Stefan grinned, raising the sword and pointing it at Rolf. Mia looked over to Boyd, and he nodded, raising his hand. He held his fingers and thumb up and lowered one of them each time he spoke.
 
“One, two, three, four, five…GO!”
 
Stefan wasted no time charging at Rolf who seemed frozen there with the jitters. Shinon bit his lower lip while Mist's face creased up in fear. Ike seemed to be too tired to take any notice and kept on nodding off. He failed to go to sleep because whenever he was on the brink of it, Gatrie either sneezed or yawned terribly loudly.
 
When Stefan was about to thrust his blade down, Rolf yelped and dropped his sword, dodging out of the way. Stefan's forehead creased in anger and in a frenzy he began swiping at the boy, who frantically dodged each swipe. Stefan could not believe his luck. The munchkin just HAD to be swift on his feet. Was it not fair that revenge seemed to always be out of his grasp?
 
He grumbled something and lowered his weapon, glowering at the sweat ridden boy who had tripped over his own feet who was now staring up at him, panting like there was no tomorrow. Rolf blinked up at him and his eyes widened when Stefan dropped the blade. It landed onto the floor and it was momentarily forgotten as Stefan helped Rolf up. The boy was in pure shock at why Stefan didn't chop him up into a million pieces. He knew Stefan had the chance a second ago but he had refused it. Rolf gulped and smiled uneasily at him and he smiled back more casually.
 
“Look kid, because I know you only do it for attention seeking, we'll call a truce, k?” He stated, waiting for Rolf's answer. The boy, still sweat dropping, began to nod his head frantically, nervous smile still evident. Stefan laughed and patted him on the back. “Besides, I know you couldn't take me.” Rolf scowled at him.
 
“At least I get better academical grades.”
 
“Listen Rolf, don't push your luck.” Stefan uttered through gritted teeth. Rolf sighed and waved at Stefan before making his way back to his seat. The green haired swordmaster laughed heartily before taking his own seat again. Mia was a tad disappointed there had been no real right, as she loved seeing blades in action, but she cheered up when she realised that.
 
“We still have an hour of lesson left yay!”
 
A collective group of exhausted moans followed that claim from practically ever tired and poor soul in the class. The funny thing was, Gatrie had stopped blabbering onto Mist, and she, when the others moaned, whooped.
 
Funny That.
 
Funny That 5: The First Prompting Lesson; So What's With The Swords?
 
End
 
Tsuzuku
A/N: I've just realised Mia's lesson is going to be three part O.O Ah and as for the drama of Soren, Ranulf and Lethe, I myself got attacked by plot bunnies and they forced me to add a problematic twist! ><(
 
So eh…next chapter is some more of Mia's lesson and uh…
 
The dreaded thing known as….
 
TENSION!
 
Ooh : )
 
Bye!