Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Acting ❯ Act 2 ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Hello folks!!!
 
Ok, I admit that I've done basically nothing that's related to writing for a while. My only excuse is college. I tried to write more for this recently but only ended up changing this chapter a bit. I will, eventually, finish this story. With luck I'll even manage another chapter or more before my break is up. I can't abandon this story because it was one of my first and I more or less know the end.
 
 
Chapter 8: Act 2
 
Kyo and Yuki stood outside the drama room, which was connected with the back of the theater, still a bit hesitant about this latest twist of fate.
 
“There's nothing for it but to go in.” Yuki said.
 
Kyo grunted irritably.
 
Not that I'm looking forward to this either. Yuki thought to himself.
 
Kyo opened the door, held it for Yuki, and then followed him into this newest torment.
 
Someone really hates me. Kyo grumbled mentally.
 
“Kami.”
 
The strange voice resonated strongly within his mind.
 
Who?!
 
But there was no answer.
 
Great! Now I'm hearing voices in my head.
 
But Kyo got no more time to mope because the club members had noticed them.
 
“Welcome to the club!!!!” The president, Rina Kabota, a second year, exclaimed excitedly, “Thank you so much for joining our club.”
 
Kyo decided to keep his mouth shut.
 
“We're happy to join.” Yuki said politely, “Is there anything we should know?”
 
Rina consulted with the Vice-President, Karin Sabana, and the treasurer, Hide Tsubasa, briefly.
 
“No, don't think so.” She said.
 
“You two can act, right?” Hide asked cheerfully.
 
“Yes.” Both Yuki and Kyo answered.
 
“Oh good, then it seems that Rina and Karin will get to have their way.” He said pleasantly.
 
“What do you mean?” Kyo asked, somewhat worried.
 
“Our esteemed leaders want to do a `proper Shakespearian play'.” One of the club members said sarcastically.
 
Kyo and Yuki exchanged a worried look. They both knew what that meant.
 
“Yeah, proper dress and all and with this play…” another member started.
 
“…there are even some leading roles that most of us are trying to avoid!” a third finished with a laugh. That set pretty much the entire club laughing.
 
“Aw, come on guys! We told you we'd make sure you looked really good. The audience won't even be able to tell you're not girls!” a female member, and as such part of the Backstage for this play, managed to say through her laughter.
 
Many of the boys with lighter builds or more feminine faces pulled looks which just made the girls and the rest of the guys laugh harder. A few mock-sympathetic pats were given for those who had made faces.
 
After a few minutes the laughter died down to an occasional chuckle.
 
“Who decided on the play?” Yuki asked, still endeavoring to be polite as possible.
 
“It was a vote and a draw!” someone called out.
 
“Yeah, a vote to choose what kind of play we wanted to do and then we picked a name out of a hat to decide who got to decide.”
 
“We weren't too worried when Shakespeare was chosen, but after Hide's name came out of the hat I know I started to worry.”
 
“But Hide always makes such interesting choices!” exclaimed the vice-president and several others. Kyo noted that many of them were girls.
 
“We had been short a few actors and been debating placing some of the girls in even though many liked the idea of a `proper Shakespearian play' for some reason, but we had to wait for any additional 3rd year students. And as it turned out, we got the perfect number.” Hide said, smiling innocently.
 
“Don't trust the smile!” several members cried at once and the entire club dissolved back into giggles. It was obviously some kind of inside joke.
 
“Alright, alright enough distractions!” Karin exclaimed joyfully, “Now let's start deciding positions.”
 
The boys found seats and steeled themselves for what would come next.
 
 
Shigure was working up to the big climax in his latest novel when he heard the door slid open and two pairs of feet enter. Somehow the way they were walking sounded shocked.
 
What ever could have happened to them? He wondered.
 
When he heard them go into the family room rather then their bedrooms he went to check on them. He really was quite curious. When he got into the room, the boys were staring at the table as if it could tell them some big important secret that they really wanted to know.
 
And what caused this?
 
Shigure cleared his throat to get the boys attention. Neither one looked up.
 
“And what happened to you two? You look like Akito told you he was getting married.” He said pleasantly.
 
“We went to our club meeting today.” Yuki told him, still in shock.
 
“And?” Shigure prompted.
 
“We got our parts.” Kyo went on.
 
“Doesn't sound so bad yet. What play?”
 
“A Mid-Summer Night's Dream.” They answered simultaneously.
 
“The President and Vice-President are insane.” Kyo hissed with venom.
 
“Don't forget, the treasurer is a demon in disguise.” Yuki reminded him in an icy tone.
 
“Oh? What are your parts?” Shigure asked innocently.
 
Both boys' mouths moved but no sound came out. Shigure waited while they continued to try and tell him what their parts were. Finally Yuki managed.
 
“He's… Oberon and I…I am…” He couldn't say it.
 
“Titania?” Shigure ventured as something of a joke.
 
Yuki nodded.
 
“I'm going to guess that it's only male actors?”
 
They nodded.
 
“Wow! That sounds fun! Maybe we should invite some of the other zodiac members when your play goes up. Yipe!” Shigure yelped when Kyo leapt at him, or at least attempted to. He scurried out of harm's way.
 
“Come, come! No need to be like that!” he said cheerfully. “How bad could it possibly be?”
 
They both just stared at him like he was asking the stupidest and most obvious question in the universe.
 
“Honestly, you two. It's not going to be as bad as you think! Though I am curious to know how the two newest members could end up with two of the most important parts. It seems unusual.” He said thoughtfully.
 
“Kyo got his by showing a fairly large knowledge of the play and seeming to have exceedingly good acting skills for someone who has a limp and cracked ribs.” Yuki explained.
 
“And Yuki got his by demonstrating a range of different types of characters, soft spoken and not and the like, and by just looking exceedingly fair for one who is confined to crutches. Plus I think some of the female members were just this side of being `PYFC' girls themselves.” Kyo finished.
 
Shigure nodded sagely, “I see. So in other words, you simply had no idea how well your own newly won acting abilities measured against someone who has been acting for years and overdid it.” He seemed very sure of his rather blunt statement.
 
“I guess.” Kyo growled. “And we couldn't even use our injuries or newness to the club as an excuse. It didn't help that most of the ones good enough for those parts were trying to get out of them.”
 
“Yes, yes, the world is completely against you both and you must brave cruel hardships that you can tell none but a few for fear of it ruining what frail progress you have wrought.” Shigure cried dramatically.
 
Yuki just stared at him with a cold, blank expression.
 
“Would you just go finish whatever book you were working on?!” Kyo exclaimed.
 
“My sympathy has been thrown back in my face.” Shigure declared in a wounded tone of voice.
 
“I will throw something at him if he keeps this up.” Kyo growled.
 
Shigure chuckled good-naturedly and retreated to his office.
 
“That's over, what now?” Kyo muttered. He wouldn't admit it but his ribs ached from so much shouting.
 
“I'm honestly not sure. We can't really fight the play so I suppose we shall just have to do our best; though I loathe the fact that I shall have to wear a dress again.” Yuki scowled at the thought.
 
“You'll be lucky if it's an actual dress.”
 
Yuki groaned, “Please don't remind me.”
 
“Unfortunate truth, sorry.”
 
“Why do you know so much about this play?” Yuki asked suddenly.
 
Kyo groaned and buried his head in his arms, “I was forced to read it for school once and then we kept going back to it and then Kagura got all into it and it was about all I heard for a year. It's involuntary recording!”
 
Yuki raised an eyebrow, “Involuntary recording?”
 
“Shut up.” Kyo huffed.
 
 
So there you go. Like I said, I'll do my best to get another chapter out before the end of my break. Having my Mom (MomsDarkSecret ^u^) here will help a lot!