Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Acting ❯ The Plot Thickens ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Hello people. For the three people who are still waiting for me to update here's your reward. I actually did manage an actual new chapter. Hopefully there will be more soon to follow!
 
 
Chapter 9 The Plot Thickens
 
“This has gone far enough! Why does that cur defend our glorious prince when a month ago he fought with the prince everyday?” said an ominous female voice in the dimmed classroom.
 
“I agree! There's something going on here and I want to know what.” Another girl said.
 
“Me too!”
 
More and more voices joined this cry.
 
“Alright,” the first voice spoke up, “I believe we should create an investigation committee of our best at subtle information gathering. We will need to bring in our sisters from the other schools for top efficiency. What do you all say?”
 
The answering cry was passionate. They would find out what this suspicious feeling they had was no matter what!
 
“Alright then, I will contact our sister clubs and explain the situation in detail to them. We will decide the committee next meeting…”
 
Suddenly, the classroom door opened. All eyes flashed to the door to find a bewildered teacher standing in the entrance.
 
“What are you all doing?” He asked as he turned up the lights, “And why does it look like a council of war in here?” he continued, raising an eyebrow.
 
“Oh, we were just wrapping up our little meeting, though I have no idea why we look anything like a council of war to you, sir.” The president said, giving the teacher her very best innocent look.
 
“I see.” The teacher said skeptically, “Well, you'd better wrap it up faster. School closes in five minutes.”
 
“Of course sir.”
 
The president turned to the sea of female faces in the room. “See everyone next week!”
 
With that the club meeting ended and the members started to collect their bags and leaving. The last ones to leave were a group of three girls. They, unlike the rest of the members, were not for this plan at all.
 
“Saiyaka, Kairi what should we do? I really don't like the way this sounds.” One asked worriedly as she played with her curly brown hair.
 
The two glanced at each other then around them to make sure none other the other members would over hear them.
 
“I agree with Nita. We should spy on the people they choose for the committee.” Saiyaka said.
 
Kairi nodded in agreement. “Keep tabs on them and on the rest of the club's decisions and movements.”
 
“Yeah. The Prince has the right to make his own decision and hang out with who he likes!” Nita exclaimed softly.
 
“That and you think Kyo's cute too.” Saiyaka joked. She and Kairi giggled when Nita blushed.
 
“We will be the Prince's Knights!” Kairi declared.
 
“Yeah!” The other two cheered.
 
Even at these cries none other the other members bothered to pay the girls any mind as they continued to seethe to one another about `the cur' and their precious Prince.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------
 
“Achoo!”
 
“God damn it ow.” Kyo grumbled as his ribs protested the sharp movement the sneeze required.
 
“Kyo? Are you ok?” Tohru asked from the kitchen, worry clear in her voice.
 
“I'm fine. I ain't sick or anything so don't start freaking out on me. Just sneezed all of a sudden.”
 
“All right.” She still sounded worried.
 
“Maybe some one was talking about you!” Momiji exclaimed as he bounced in from the kitchen where he'd been `helping' Tohru with the cooking.
 
Kyo simply gave him a look. Of course people were going to talk about him. Probably those blasted fanclub girls. Honestly he was kinda surprised that they hadn't just declared all out war on him. He'd expected that back when this farce had began.
 
“Say, where's Yuki? I haven't seen him since I got here.” Momiji asked suddenly.
 
Kyo resisted the urge to snort. “He's in his room. Probably glaring at his lines.”
 
“Huh?”
 
“Nothin'.”
 
Momiji shrugged and went back to attempting to not get under foot and be in the kitchen at the same time.
 
----------------
 
In fact, Kyo's guess about Yuki were spot on. He was sitting at his desk, glaring at his packet of lines. He was still annoyed about the part he'd landed, probably would be even after this play was over.
 
`A poor run of luck, child.'
 
Yuki's head snapped up. Slowly, he looked around the room. No one.
 
What was that? I'm sure it wasn't me. Yuki thought.
 
`It seems luck has turned from me for it's twin.'
 
This time the voice echoed sadly within his mind and Yuki furrowed his brows, sure that it was no thought of his.
 
“Then what the hell is it?” he muttered.
 
After a few minutes he shook his head and pushed the whole incident to the back of his mind. If he really was hearing a voice in his head it was probably the damned curse's fault anyway. Besides, he had more pressing issue. Hatori was coming for a check-up, which in of itself wasn't bad, but he'd been having a particular feeling for a while that he got when his brother decided to drop by.
 
“I'd bet good money that stupid dog couldn't keep his muzzle shut.” Yuki grumbled.
 
It was also possible that Ayame had finally worn the doctor down so that he could visit his `poor, injured little brother.' Yuki growled at the thought. Even if that was the case and Ayame didn't know about the damn play OR his part in it, he still didn't trust Shigure to keep his mouth closed. Yuki growled again before returning to what he's been doing before all these annoying thoughts had interrupted… glaring at his line book.
 
--------------
 
Back downstairs, Kyo was staring at nothing. It was his way of passing time and it worked amazingly well. Before too long the doorbell was ringing.
 
“Kyo, would you get that?” Shigure called from his study.
 
Kyo grumbled to himself as he slowly stood and made his way to the front door.
 
“Why didn't he just come through the back?” he muttered as he reached the door. “You could have…” he trailed off and just stared. The person standing on the porch wasn't Hatori like he'd thought.
 
Why's she here?!
 
The older girl was fidgeting and starring at the ground. Kyo just stood there; hand on the door, waiting for Kagura to make the first move. Finally, Kagura opened her mouth to say something but closed it again and flushed when she tried to look at Kyo.
 
“Umm… I, uh…” she stammered. Just as Kyo began to wonder if she was trying to apologize or something she turned and fled. Kyo, still confused, closed the door and began to wander back into the house when there was a knock at the door.
 
Is she back?
 
Kyo turned back to answer the door again, but the person who'd knocked had already opened it.
 
“Good afternoon, Kyo.” Hatori said as he toed off his shoes.
 
“Kyo-kun, how are things?”
 
“What are you doing here?!” Kyo exclaimed, pointing accusing at the person who'd followed Hatori through the door.
 
Ayame huffed. “I can't stop by to see how my darling brother and his companions are doing?”
 
Kyo just growled at him.
 
Hatori sighed and moved to the living room, hoping the other two would follow quietly, which they did. When he got to the living room he wasn't surprised to see a certain rabbit sitting at the table with Tohru.
 
“Hey `Tori! Aya!” he chirped happily.
 
“Hatori-san! Ayame-san! Can I get you something to drink?” Tohru asked pleasantly.
 
“No thank you Tohru.”
 
“Can I have some tea Tohru-san?”
 
“Of course, Ayame-san.”
 
“Momiji, be useful and go get Yuki for me.” Hatori said as he seated himself. “Kyo, come here so I can check your progress.”
 
As the two boys moved to follow his instructions Shigure beckoned for Aya to join him in the study. Kyo watched him leave the room with a sense of foreboding. This wasn't going to end well for someone.
 
“So, how does your ankle feel? Still limping?” Hatori asked as he probed it with his fingers, effectively distracting Kyo.
 
“Just a bit, I've been doing better. Doesn't hurt much either.”
 
“Hmm, and the ribs?”
 
Kyo was about to say that they were fine when Momiji bounced back with Yuki in tow.
 
“He'd going to say they're fine Hatori-san, but they're actually still bothering him.” Yuki told the doctor without even glancing at Kyo, who was glaring at him.
 
“Well?” Hatori asked.
 
“Che, damn rat.” Kyo grumbled, “Fine, they still hurt. Lots of talking, laughing, walking too much, all those things make `em hurt.”
 
“I see. Well, I'd recommend a mild pain killer for the ribs and I want you to follow this physical therapy sheet to make sure that you regain a full range of motion as the ankle finishes healing.”
 
Kyo nodded and took the sheet Hatori handed him. The doctor moved to sit next to Yuki and began by checking the shoulder.
 
“This has healed well.” He said approvingly, “The rest of these bandages can come off as well. The cast will obviously have to stay.”
 
Yuki just sighed. “My brother's here isn't he?”
 
“Yep.” Kyo said.
 
“Great. With Shigure, right?”
 
“Yep.”
 
Yuki groaned and buried his head in his arms. Any second now, Ayame'd come bursting into the room and start gushing about the stupid play.
 
“If you're worried about the play, he already knows.” Hatori commented as he put away the few instruments he'd gotten out.
 
“What?!” both boys stared at him.
 
“He said he was going to control himself because you were still hurt. Frankly, I'm surprised he's managing as well as he is.”
 
As they continued to stare at him in disbelief, Tohru came back from taking tea to Ayame.
 
“Um, are you going to be staying for dinner Hatori-san?” she asked.
 
He nodded.
 
“Ok, I made chicken curry.”
 
-----------------------------
 
Later that night, after the kids had all gone to bed, Hatori, Ayame, and Shigure were talking in the study.
 
“So what did he tell you?” Shigure asked.
 
“Many things, but what I think he meant is that he thinks something's wrong and that it has to do with Yuki and Kyo. He may try to do something to them soon.” Hatori warned them as he stared up at the stars through the open screen.
 
“I was afraid of that.”
 
“Why?” Ayame asked.
 
“Because, of all the animals of the Zodiac, the Cat and the Rat have always been treated the worst and kept separate. I haven't figured out why.” Shigure explaind.
 
“But doesn't the legend give reasons? They're punished because of the Rat's trick and the Cat's absence and they're kept apart to keep the Cat from taking revenge.”
 
Shigure shook his head. “But that's just it! The legend doesn't explain everything. It doesn't mention the Zodiac curse at all. There are things we don't know and I think they're things that Akito doesn't want us to know. If he even knows what it is himself.”
 
Both Ayame and Hatori looked at him in surprise.
 
“Well, what do you think it is?” Hatori asked after a few minutes.
 
“I think… it has to do with breaking the curse.” He said quietly.
 
 
Well, what do you all think? Story still interesting? Let me know!!! I'm still determined to finish this story, `cause I know roughly how it'll end. Please review and here's hoping I'll have something for you all again soon!
 
- Riyo