Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Shadowed by Fame Shattered by Fear ❯ River of Memories ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A/N: Hello everyone, well it's good to be back! I just finished reading the whole fruits basket series including volume 23! And it was fabulous. Although kinda sad too since it's the very end of the series. But anyway, I hope you enjoy this chapter, It will reveal a lot more about Kyo's past and the red headed girl whom he had a connection with. Oh and if there are any Lindsay Lohan fans out there, I strongly apologise on the behalf of Hiro's mouth.
 
MTR (Messages to reviewers):
 
FF

mysticwaterfall: Thanks, I think this is the first story I've written that actually makes sense, well to me lol. And the most I enjoy writing too!
 
30 seconds to YOUR MOM: Haha, Yea I tend to do that quite a lot. Update once a month then leave a cliffhanger. Well thanks for the review!

Lily Evans Potter Black Lupin: Thanks, it's nice to know that you are enjoying it.

Micki G: My story gave you an idea for your fanfiction? Well that's nice to hear! Thank you for reviewing.

emichii: hehe your guesses were very entertaining to read, well I can tell you this, he did not get hit by a hammer lol. Thank you for your reviews, I appreciate it.
 
Rin916: Lol it's alright. It happens to me too, when an author doesn't update for ages, I kinda forget the plot of the story at first. But thank you, I'm really glad that you're enjoying the story.
 
Kimi-chan: huh? Happy endings with angst….do you mean Happy endings with angst before it or…cos then it wouldn't really be a happy ending if it was angst at the same time lol. Omg I hope she doesn't read my fanfic reviews by any chance, lol as if she would go on fanfiction lmao.

moonflower: Thank you! Yes I had a lovely trip, nice beaches, ice-skating. Things like that. And yea I do have a lot of questions to answer in this story, don't I? lol, well I'm hoping that half of them will be answered in this chapter.
 
Sakura-chan1345: Thank you so much for your kind review!

MM

Anna may dreamer: Thank you very much, and yea that's good idea, about the original and alternative endings. Thanks again!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
SHADOWED BY FAME SHATTERED BY FEAR
By Angelite Phoenix// Dark Angel of Mystery
 
CHAPTER 8: Xx- River of Memories -xX
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
2 hours had passed since the awards had concluded. Tohru lay on her bed, her head rested on the puffy white pillows. She reflected on the evening that had just gone by and stared into blank space as Momiji came in with a glass of water. He handed it to Tohru and sat on the edge of her bed analyzing her expression.
 
“I know…it's hard to accept the fact that Kyo might as well be back in your life…but maybe, it was destiny that he were to regain his memories again…who knows? As much as it pains me to say…. there is a possibility that you two have….fallen in love… again.” Momiji looked away and bit his lip. He knew that he loved Tohru but it was impossible to tell if Tohru felt the same way, after the love of her life Kyo had entered their lives again.
 
“Momiji, I just…don't understand…He can't love me, he's got a fiancée. That's who he's in love with, I can't replace her, nor do I want to right now. I mean, the last time I fell in love with Kyo, he already had a girlfriend which led to disaster. And I'm not letting that get in my way and ruin Kyo's life again. And last night, I was such a coward, fearing the consequences of Kyo getting his memory back…so….I ran away and left Kyo there confused while was struggling to deal with the nightmares that he's been having recently. When Ritsu Urashima read out Kyo's name last night, he didn't even show up…that's when I knew that I can't face him again. I'm quitting my job.” Tohru sat up and clenched her fists.
 
“Tohru, running away from this situation isn't really…gonna help solve it.” Momiji sighed.
 
“So…you think I should keep my job?”
 
“Maybe just for a little while because…I don't think you should avoid Kyo, you need to talk to him and tell him the truth about his past…He deserves to know what happened during that night. But do you think you could do that? Tell Kyo without running away?”
“Yea…I hope so…facing my fear isn't going to be easy Momiji…”
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Kyo sat at the table as his personal chef prepared breakfast. He was still wondering about Tohru's strange reaction towards his nightmare confession. He had done some research and had found out that the red-headed amber eyed girl was named Miya Hayashi. She had served a 4 year jail sentence for attempted murder and she was released from prison early last year. So according to the evidence on the photograph, he knew this girl, and apparently, he appeared to be very close to her.
 
“Here's your breakfast, strawberry crepes, vanilla yoghurt and freshly squeezed watermelon juice. Is there anything else you require?” His chef placed the breakfast tray in front of Kyo.
 
“Uhh….actually, I was wondering if you were able to make rice-balls?” Kyo asked, out of the blue as a thought of Tohru's special recipe appeared in his mind.
“Well I have tried making them before, fruit flavoured tiny rice-balls. Would you like me to serve that for lunch?” His chef asked.
 
“That would be cool, thanks.” Kyo smiled a hidden smile and continued to eat his breakfast.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
“………Yep, Lindsay Lohan has definitely lost it, walking around the place, getting drunk. She hangs out with the wrong crowd that drug deals, talk about peer pressure! I feel sorry for her family, I mean, what a shame to have someone like her live in their family, partying day to night, gaining weight day by day. Well that's enough from me tonight; I'm not wasting my time on LiLo. Well I'd sure like to hear all your opinions about these brainless celebrities so send your fan mail in if you wanna suggest anything for the show next week. I'm Hiro Akiyama, see ya and don't forget, NEVER learn from celebrities.”

”Wow Hiro, you did well today, a lot of insults comin from ya. Good one!” His director gave him a pat on the back.
 
“Yea whatever, just doing what I do best.” Hiro smirked as he made his way to the kitchen where he was in need of coffee.
 
“Hiro?” He heard Kisa's voice at the doorway as he blushed and smiled at her.
 
“Hey Kisa, what's going on?”
 
“I quit my job yesterday…” She said nervously.
 
“Oh yea…how'd it go?” Hiro asked.
 
“Although I feel a bit sad, I'm overall quite happy, because now, I have more time to spend with you Hiro-kun.” She smiled shyly as he hugged her.
 
“Thanks Kisa, I promise to look after you whenever, wherever.”
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
“Wow it sure feels good to be home, back from that boring hospital!” Haru stepped into his apartment with Rin closely behind him.
 
“I'm glad you feel better sweetie, now go and lie down for a bit, I'll go make some coffee for the both of us, then…I've got a surprise for you.” Rin smiled.
 
“I've been lying down for 4 whole days now; don't you think I should be allowed to walk around?” Haru laughed.
 
“Not yet, not till I get the surprise ready.” Rin replied as she poured the freshly brewed coffee into two china cups. She then took something out of the cupboard and walked towards Haru with the coffee and what looked like a brochure.
 
“Thanks.” Haru took the coffee and smiled.
 
“So wanna hear the surprise?”
 
“Yea.” Haru said with his face as blank as always.
 
“Here, take a look for yourself.” Rin handed him the brochure.
 
“Tropical Getaway, Hawaii…, wait, we're going to Hawaii?” Haru asked, his face puzzled.
 
“Yes!! I figured that all we needed was a one week break from all the stress at work! It's great because you can recover and I can relax. What do you think?” Rin asked as she lifted Haru's chin and planted a short kiss on his lips.
 
“It's….wow….I never expected that you would wanna go to Hawaii.”
 
“What? Am I that serious of a person to not wanna visit some tropical paradise?” Rin raised an eyebrow.
 
“No no of course not, this is great Rin…I'm excited.” Haru said in his calm but clueless voice.
 
“Good, here are your air tickets….Wait….maybe I shouldn't give them to you, you might lose them…” Rin took the tickets back and giggled.
 
“Umm….okay….”
 
“So we'll be flying out tomorrow, is that okay?”
 
“Yea, it sounds good to me.”
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
“Hey Yun-yun! Look what Machi's got for ya.” Kakeru shouted across the room as Yuki walked over.
 
“It came in the mail…uhh….sent anonymously.” Machi stated as she handed him the package.
 
“Come on, open it!” Kimi insisted.
 
“Ok.” Yuki replied as he opened the package to reveal a huge puffy purple dress, Yuki's expression suddenly turned sour as Kakeru and Kimi rolled over laughing like crazy. Machi stood there with a confused and strange look.
 
“Looks like Yunyuns got a big fan!” Kimi exclaimed as she kept laughing.
 
“That darn Ayame…” Yuki cursed under his breath.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
3 hours ago….
 
“So Hari, Shigure, since his concert is coming up soon, I have been invited as a VIP guest which I am so excited about! I decided to make a costume for Yuki so he can wear it at the concert while he is performing on stage. Do you think this will look good on my dear brother Yuki?” Ayame held up a frilly purple dress with a white lace edging on the sleeves.
 
“You have got to be kidding Ayame.” Hatori said bluntly.
 
“It looks fantastic Aya!” Shigure spoke and clapped.
 
“Thank you Shigure. I picked out this shade of purple to match with Yuki's beautiful eyes!”
 
“How thoughtful.” Hatori added sarcastically.
 
“Hari, don't you like it?”
 
“He's a guy not a girl, plus it's a rock concert, how do you expect him to appear on stage wearing a frilly purple dress?” Hatori rolled his eyes.
 
“Well I guess your right, but I'll never find out whether he'll like it or not unless I send it to him right away!” Ayame grinned and wrapped up the dress.
 
“Absolutely right Aya!” Shigure found a few ribbons and gave them to Ayame.
 
“I guess you guys never learn…” Hatori sighed.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

As soon as Kyo arrived to work he found his boss Akito waiting outside for his arrival.
 
“Mr Kurosawa?”
 
“How dare you…” Akito's face was cold and angry.
 
“What?”
 
“Do you know how embarrassed I was last night? Do you realise the humiliation you caused among our crew? Kyo! Wake up! You won an award for best actor, what were you thinking of not showing up at the stage? You had a speech to present, and you weren't even there to present it!” Akito shouted at Kyo.
 
“I….I'm sorry….but something came up…”
 
“That's no damn excuse!”
“Sorry…” Kyo had nothing else to say.
 
“Now go inside and practice reading your new script!” Akito shoved a pile of papers at Kyo.
 
“Ok.” Kyo walked into the building. `Man for a boss, Akito sure is bossy…not to mention bad tempered, but then again…uhh….so am I.' Kyo thought to himself. As soon as he reached his room he realised that he had something else to worry about, something more important. He dashed to the cleaners' room and spotted Tohru dusting the furniture.
 
“Tohru?” He said under his breath as he walked towards her.
 
“Oh…hello Kyo…umm….listen…about yesterday…I didn't mean to run off like that…”
 
“It's okay…you probably thought I was crazy or something didn't ya?” Kyo forced a laugh as he stood next to her.
 
“No no no, I didn't, it's just…”
 
“I need to ask you a question.” Kyo interrupted as he handed her the picture of her and Miya.
 
“Miya Hayashi, who is she? And why am I in the photo with a criminal?” Kyo demanded as Tohru dropped the duster and looked at the photo.
 
“H-How'd you get this?”
 
“It fell out of your pocket last night when you ran off.” Kyo replied bluntly.
 
“Miya…..you….liked her, maybe…even loved her….” Tohru said quietly after a few seconds.
 
“What? How could I fall in love with a criminal like her! I don't even recall loving anyone but Kagura! Heck, I don't even love Kagura!” Kyo blurted out accidentally.
 
“Y-you don't?” Tohru gave him a confused expression.
 
“I mean…I-…no….I don't love her, I never did. But please don't tell her that!” Kyo admitted.
 
“But she's your fiancée! Why did you get engaged if you don't love her?”
 
“Because….my love was an illusion…I thought I liked her, but I now realise that it's just impossible to marry her. I never wear my engagement ring, it's lost somewhere in my wardrobe…I don't call her nor do I get happy when I talk to her…but….what I don't understand is, why I get so excited when…. I….talk to you?” Kyo glanced at Tohru.
 
“M-Me?” Tohru stuttered.
 
“I can't lie to you anymore Tohru, I know…you're a cleaner aka university student, and I'm a Hollywood actor…but somehow, I've always felt differently about you, how you treat me like a normal person rather than a famous one…and I appreciate that, I really do. You also tend to understand me so much even though we've only met for less than 3 months, your personality is just….so familiar….I dream about you every night and I can't understand why. But every time I do see you in my dreams, you're either crying for me, or you're screaming…and I don't know what to do. But what I do know is….maybe this isn't just a dream…have you been crying Tohru? If you have, then I need to know what's been causing you this pain and what's been making me have all these visions. I have a strong feeling that you know the answer, because I have a feeling inside of me that tells me that I trust you…and that you wouldn't want to do anything to hurt me. So if there's any other way I can say that I….really l-l-like you, you can tell me how…and then maybe you'll help me with my past…answer some of my questions….please…” Kyo reached for her hand and waited for her to answer.
 
“K-Kyo? You….are you…. in love with me?” Tohru asked without making eye contact with Kyo.
 
“M-Maybe…if love means trying to avoid work to be with you everyday then…I guess so…” Kyo answered quietly.
 
Tears filled Tohru's eyes as she let of Kyo's hand.

`This is happening again, Kyo's in love with me for the second time…and he's got a fiancée….no I can't allow this to happen, I won't, I can't risk seeing Kyo get hurt because of me! Not this time!” Tohru raced out of the room as Kyo chased after her.
 
“Tohru wait! I didn't mean to scare you like that!” Kyo called out to her as she stopped.
 
“Kyo, I don't think you get it…5 years ago, Miya was your…. ex-girlfriend but…so was I.” Tohru sprinted away as Kyo stood there speechless and lost.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A/N: Lemme guess, you must be hating me right now after yet another cliffhanger!
Lol, well let me know what you think and thanks for reading!
 
Angelite Phoenix//Dark Angel of Mystery