Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Shadowed by Fame Shattered by Fear ❯ The Rocky Road ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A/N: Hello! Yes I realise that I left a pretty nasty cliffhanger last chapter. And that you probably all hate me a little bit right now, right? Lol, okay well this is gonna be a big chapter when Tohru does all the explaining and hopefully things will be clearer to you now. Other than that, I hope you enjoy it!
 
 
MTR (Messages to reviewers):
 
FF

Nekokazam- Thanks a lot, I hope you like this one too!
 
Mysticwaterfall- Yes I believe you Miki, I know you're not a random hacker okay LOL Well thanks for reviewing, and yup, cute endings are well known in my dictionary XD

sakura-chan1345- Hehe sorry the update took a while, but hope you like it
 
Rin916- Haha I think most reviewers now know me as “the evil author who always leaves cliffhangers every month she updates.”

Mischievouz Angel- Yea he does sound like a two-timer but really, he's not, I guess he's just a confused young teenage guy, well…back then he was lol. Thanks for reviewing Kimi.

moonflower- Yea sounds like you've been busy too. I've got exams coming here and there but it's okay really. Wow, happy birthday!... for whenever your birthday is XD. Thanks for the kind review!

30 seconds to your mom- Haha yea it sounds a bit funny, Kyo falling in love with Tohru for the second time lol. Well thanks for the review.

RinHaru4ever- I thought my chapter needed a bit of laughter before it got into the whole sad bit. And I just HAD to use Yuki and Ayame lol… Thanks for the great review!
 
Disfiguredlaments- Thank you. It took a while for me to think of that line lol

Lily Evans Potter Black Lupin- Well all I can say right now is that Miya was one evil biatch. Excuse my language!! You'll find out later in this chapter.


MM

sakura-bell- Well I hope you enjoy this chapter ^_^
 
Anna May Dreamer- Well I think I've explained mostly everything in this chapter, but if you have any more questions, ask away. Thanks for the review.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
SHADOWED BY FAME SHATTERED BY FEAR
By Angelite Phoenix// Dark Angel of Mystery
 
CHAPTER 9: Xx- The Rocky Road -xX
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
At the park….
 
Tohru continued to run, her legs aching as she felt millions of tears run down her cheeks. She could not believe how cowardly she was, running away from what she feared. The truth, about Kyo's past.
 
No!…why am I doing this? I thought that keeping secrets from him would keep him safe, but I was wrong, I'm only hurting him more. I have to go back, I just have to.” Tohru thought to herself as she tried to turn back, but somehow her legs wouldn't let her. They felt like jelly yet they wouldn't obey her thoughts.
 
Tohru soon heard a voice, Kyo was chasing after her and he had caught onto her arm, which was shaking like mad. Her legs suddenly stopped as she breathed in the air and tried to speak, but no words came out.
 
“Tohru…I need to know…I'm so confused, I just don't know who I am anymore, you're the only person I can turn to because I know that you have something to tell me, please, don't abandon me. I can't live like this anymore without knowing what's going on.” Kyo said, his voice desperate.
 
“S-S-Sit….down….” Was Tohru could manage to say.
 
“Oh….ok…” Kyo dragged her to the nearest bench.
 
“Kyo…I just want you to know, that whatever happens, you just have to stay calm…okay?” Tohru asked.
 
“Ok.”
 
“About 5 years ago… when you were just 17, you moved from Kyoto and attended a school named Kaibara High and…you were also in an arranged marriage to a girl named Miya Hayashi. She was from Italy but she was Japanese, I guess…you just didn't seem to mind too much about the engagement after seeing how beautiful she was, although you weren't too happy about being in an arranged marriage at 17. And she was overwhelmed with happiness about being your fiancée. You two got along pretty well but I'm not sure if you really loved her or not, it wasn't something you would discuss with other people. Two months later, you realised that I existed, well I was in your class, but you never really paid attention to me since you only arrived at Kaibara High that year.”
 
“Damn, I was engaged to a criminal?”
“Hold on, I'll get to that bit…later.”
 
“Sorry.”
 
“Umm…so yea, it was in science actually, we were assigned to be lab partners and we would work on the projects together. So you could say that the time we spent together…was a lot. And then it just started, we became…really…good friends. I would convince you to take cooking classes with me on the weekends and plus your fiancée was back in Italy for her last year of school. Three months passed by and we had both developed a crush on each other without realising. Then one day, you asked me to go to the prom with you since we both had nobody to go with. I was thrilled and I even went through so many dresses just to find the perfect one that you might've liked. And the day I visited my mother's grave, you finally confessed your feelings for me and I returned them without hesitation. I was so happy, we started dating and you had forgotten about your real life with the whole fiancée situation.” Tohru took a deep breath and continued.
 
“Then the day of the prom and graduation came closer and closer. Your parents had found out about our relationship and they were pretty mad, they talked to Miya's parents and a week later they arrived in Japan. You were informed that you were going to move to Italy as soon as you finished Kaibara High, your parents also asked you to stop seeing me. On the night of the prom, I asked you if you would stay by my side forever, you replied yes, and you promised me that… only because you thought you could run away from your life and be with me after graduation. But unfortunately, it didn't work out. I still had no idea about your engagement and you had gone home after the prom to tell Miya that you were going to leave her. You thought that you would be able to trust her to be cooperative; you thought that she would help you, but you were wrong. You didn't know Miya enough to predict her actions.”
 
“What happened after…Tohru?”
 
“She pretended to smile and help you out but inside, she was planning revenge on the both of us, but most of all she wanted to kill me. In her eyes, she saw me as a nobody coming into your life and taking you away from her. So yes, she was really really….angry, and she had a plan for the night of graduation.”
 
“At the dinner party, you told me everything about your engagement and your plan, and how you intended to runaway from everything, so you could be with me for the rest of your life. I knew it was bad, but I didn't stop you because I wanted you to be happy. I knew that being forced into an arranged marriage would've been horrible for you especially if you loved another. So I chose to go with your idea since I had no family left of my own, I felt safe being with you, I really didn't mind going wherever you wanted to go. Yea…I was a lovesick teenager, we both were, which led to crazy things and mistakes that I've regretted ever since.”
 
“Wow Tohru….that's a hell of a story.”
 
“After the graduation party, you and I were going to get everything ready for the plan. It was the night that we were to going to runaway, but then…unexpectedly, Miya betrayed you. She lied to you….and it changed the lives of both of us. We were walking slowly hand in hand on the street when her car came out of nowhere. She had just turned a corner as if she had the perfect timing; she was aiming to kill me by running me over. You soon realised that it was Miya and that she was up to no good. I guess the shock just made you do something crazy. I didn't know what was going on, I've never met your fiancée before so I thought it was just a crazy drunk driver. She was speeding down the lane and it was all too fast. A few seconds later, you had pushed me hard onto the concrete pathway and….and….”
“Tohru….did she….hit me?”
 
Tears once again, trickled down her cheeks.
“Y-Yes...there was blood everywhere, I was trying to revive you, screaming your name. And then I spotted Yuki outside the school gates, who had seen the accident. I got him to call an ambulance and you were put into intensive care. Miya had fainted after seeing who she had hit and the police arrived, taking her away. You were in a coma for 2 weeks and you had lost your memory for the past 3 years. You couldn't remember the engagement, entering Kaibara High and you didn't remember…Me…..It was just so sudden, everything changed, I ended up in so much despair, My good friends Arisa, Hana, Yuki and Momiji had to take care of me. Momiji offered me a place to stay; Arisa and Hana did the cooking and cleaning for me for a month! And Yuki paid all my bills. I truly owe them my life, none of them asked for anything in return, they knew how much I loved you, and how much pain I was going through. But it was truly a nightmare for me since my mother died from a car accident, it felt like it was all happening again. So you can see how afraid I was that you were going to die at that time. I blamed myself for everything, for making that decision, for not stopping you about the plan, and last of all, I should've been the one to be hit by Miya, not you, after all she was aiming for me. Miya was in jail, she was also…mentally shocked and she felt so guilty about what she did. The rage she felt from wanting revenge on me was so intense that it led to her jail sentence. And you, moved to America where you somehow got into drama school. I guess you should remember from there onwards…right? I mean….after a year, I was just starting university, I found out about you and your acting in a magazine. I was so surprised, proud of you and so….so sad to see you that you didn't remember anything about me. You know…When I arrived in America with the job, I realised that I was still somehow…in love with you, I just couldn't bear with the fact of letting it all happen again. Kyo, you have a fiancée now, I can't let anything happen to you. I have to accept the fact that you have now gotten a new life, and you should appreciate it.”
 
“Tohru…I can't believe this….I-.” Kyo started to speak but Tohru interrupted him.
 
“A few weeks ago, I thought you had really changed Kyo, I thought that the brainwashing had given you a total personality change. But I was wrong, the truth is, I just never got the time to know you better Kyo. Before I could live my life with you, it just…all fell apart….”

”That Bitch Miya…”
 
“Kyo….please, even though she betrayed you, I do realise that we made a mistake by falling in love while you were in the whole engagement situation. In a twisted way, I do feel that she had a right to be angry with me, to want to kill me. So…I just want to leave this all behind, I don't want to hold a grudge against her and nor do I want you to.”
 
“Tohru! How could you just forgive her? She ruined the lives of both of us!!”
 
“I don't completely forgive her…Inside, I still hate her for nearly killing you, but I want to forget it all. Leave it all behind, move on with our lives.”
 
“I just….I can't believe all this; I don't remember a damn thing!!! Why did this have to happen to me!! Why did it have to end like this?” Kyo stood up and clenched his fists.
 
“Kyo…”
 
“I….I just need to go home, get some rest, clear my head.” Kyo blinked back a few tears and walked off as Tohru watched him silently.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Kyo arrived home an hour later and crashed onto his bed, cursing under his breath as a mixture of visions and memories flashed in his head. He had the worst headache and he felt sick, knowing that the truth was too hard to bear, too unrealistic to believe. Kyo turned on the tap in his bathroom and splashed his face with icy cold water, when he heard the door creak open.
 
“KYO HONEY I'M HOME!”
 
“No….Not now….” Kyo said biting his lip as he felt Kagura's arms fling around his waist.
 
“Why didn't you come to the airport? I was expecting you! You know if I hadn't missed you so much, I'd be beating you to a pulp right now!” Kagura stated as she hugged him tighter.
 
“Kagura….I need to be alone.”
 
“What's wrong Kyo? You don't even seem excited to see me.” Kagura pouted and dragged him into the bedroom.
 
“Can….can you just leave me alone for a while.”
 
“But Kyo…”
“LEAVE!!!!” Kyo shouted as his temper rose giving Kagura a fright.
 
“What the hell is wrong with you?” Kagura argued back as she pinned him against the wall and stared at him coldly.
 
“Don't you get it Kagura!!!! I….I don't love….you….I never did!!” Kyo admitted as he felt her grip loosen.
 
“W-W-What did you just say?”
 
“I wanna call off the engagement” Kyo replied.
 
“This is not funny Kyo, stop kidding around!”
 
“Kagura, the only reason why I married you was because you resembled and reminded me of the love of my life!!! Tohru!” Kyo wanted to say, although he felt that it would be too harsh.
 
“I'm not joking, you….have to take me seriously….” Kyo answered bluntly and turned his back on Kagura as he couldn't bear to see the reaction of her face.
 
“W….Why K-Kyo? Did I do anything wrong? Is it because of how I look? How I act? How I haven't been here for the past 2 weeks? I need to know!!! Tell me!!!!” Kagura spun him around and looked into his eyes.
 
“It's got nothing to do with you Kagura; I just…don't love you.” Kyo spotted the engagement ring on the bedside table, grabbed it and handed it to Kagura.
 
“I'm…. s-sorry…I just can't.”
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Rin knocked on Haru's door as she waited for a response. Their flight to Hawaii was in 3 days and she had all her suitcases ready and packed with stacks of cash and stashes of beauty products and designer clothes.
 
“Come in…” Haru's voice sounded low and dry.
 
“Uhh….Haru? Why haven't you packed yet?” She gasped when she entered his room to find his suitcases still empty.
 
“I'm not going Rin.” Haru crossed his arms.
 
“What?” Rin frowned.
 
“Why are you doing this to yourself?” He asked.
 
“Doing what Haru?”
 
“You know perfectly what I'm talking about. I thought it was a little weird when you randomly asked me to go to Hawaii so suddenly. And now I know why.” Haru walked towards her.
 
“Haru…what are you talking about?” Rin took a step back nervously.
 
“You've been hiding this from me, you wanna run away from your life, pretend nothings going on when you know you can't face your fear.” Haru pulled her sleeve up and on her arm, revealed numerous large bruises.
 
“Haru…let me explain…”
 
“The doctor called me this afternoon, told me how you needed treatment A.S.A.P; how could you do this to yourself? And not tell me anything about your encounter with leukaemia.”
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
A/N: Yes umm….a fairly sad chapter I think.
 
Well hope you enjoyed it…in a twisted way lol. If you have any questions or constructive criticism or…compliments, just feel free to say it all.
 
Angelite Phoenix//Dark Angel of Mystery