Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ The Cat And The Mouse ❯ Apart FromThe One You Love ( Chapter 11 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Disclaimer: I don't own Fruits Basket or any of its characters, but I would love to that way there would only be yaoi couples and maybe TooruxKyou,lol.
Warnings: This is a Yaoi/ Shounen ai fic. And I won't have it any other way. As much as it is concerned, most of the fic is PG-13 with occasional R. For mature themes/ sexual content, and language.
Note: I need a beta! So if you like the fic after just the first chapter and is online very often, then please assist!

Chapter Eleven
Apart From The One You Love
"What the hell do you mean you're staying until farther notice!" Kyou hollered jumping to his feet.
"Exactly as I said. Akito suggested I stay here and watch over you and Yuki until he relieves me."
Both Kyou's and Yuki's eye widen at the explanation. "How could he have found out? I thought we hid it rather well with the exception of Tooru." Kyou whispered to Yuki sitting next to him in the living room. Yuki nodded in agreement. He thought they kept their secret quit well. Shiguru never complained or mentioned the constant moans
and yells the two made on some late nights. Even Tooru never mentioned their relationship and they knew she would never turn them into Akito due to her kind and loyal personality. They always knew their secret would get out eventually, but they never thought it would be so soon. So far they have kept it a secret for two months.
"So...Kyou-kun, where do I stay?" Kagura asked interrupting Yuki's and Kyou's thoughts.
Both boys looked at each other in confusion. Last time she stay in the living room and Kyou stayed on the roof. But since it would be a longer stay, that may complicate things.
"I have an idea!" Tooru shouted out sounding over cheerful at the fact she had a way to settle the problem.
-Problem Solve-
Kyou laid on the couch in silence. Well, almost. He was amazed that he had never before noticed that there was not one, but two ticking clocks in his living room. He supposed it was because he'd haven't slept in the living room in a long time due to Yuki allowing him to sleep in his room. He tried to close his eyes and ignore the sound, but the ticking seemed to grow steadily louder, and it was just one more reason why he couldn't sleep.
The other reason was sleeping in Tooru's bed upstairs.
Tooru's big idea had ended up bad for his case. Kagura would stay in Tooru's room since they both were girls. Kyou suggested he stay with Yuki since he didn't want to stay in the living room again. However, Kyou didn't think Yuki wouldn't want to sleep in the same room as him, being he only had one bed. Yuki explained to Kyou in private that staying in his room would just raise Kagura's suspicions about them.
As the night went on, Kyou started to think that this was a bad idea. He was extremely bored, quite awake, and curious to see if the other house hold members were also awake. At least they could have talked some instead of just going into separate rooms. He found himself wishing Yuki would have offered to let him sleep on his floor. But Yuki being Yuki, he had just nodded in agreement when Tooru explained her plan.
It was at this point in his thoughts that he heard the door to Yuki's room open upstairs. Light feet padded their way to the bathroom. He listened intently for any sign that Yuki would come down and check on him, but he was promptly disappointed as the soft sound of feet returned to his room and he heard the slid of the door.
But it meant Yuki was awake.
Kyou promptly got up, all thoughts of forcing sleep gone, and walked as loudly as possible to the kitchen. He swung the cupboard door open, clinked all the glasses in the process of finding one, turned the water on high to fill his glass, and leaned back against the counter, drumming his fingers on the smooth tile. If he made enough noise, Yuki was bound to come and check on him.
When his glass was empty and the soft steps of Yuki were still yet to be heard, Kyou stomped over to the stairs, glared angrily up them, and sat down on the bottom step, this time bouncing his leg at a furious pace. Why hadn't Yuki come down to check on him? He was bored and in dire need of entertainment. Besides, it felt strange to be in the same house as Kagura without being in the immediate presence of Yuki himself. It was just plain weird, and Kyou didn't like it in the slightest.
A few more minutes passed. He got up and ran up the stairs, his feet sounding like thunder, purposefully passed the door to Yuki's room and retreated to the bathroom. He used the restroom even though he wasn't in immediate need of relieving himself, washed his hands with the liquid soap, which he knocked over twice, flushed the toilet and opened the door with so much force that it hit the wall behind it.
Yet even still, the door to Yuki's room remained closed.
He knew that there was no way that anyone could have fallen back to sleep after all the noise he had just made. Yuki had to be awake in there, but for some reason, he wasn't coming out to check on him. Half angry that Yuki was ignoring him and half curious as to why, Kyou walked firmly up to his door and reached out for the handle. It dawned on him then that he was most likely being foolish and that he should just leave Yuki alone, and his hand almost dropped at the thought, but he had come this far, he may as well...
The door slid open and Kyou almost ran right into a bewildered looking Yuki.
"Yuki! I, um, well, I was just..." Kyou mumbled, thrown off by the immediate presence before him, and he stumbled over his words. "Couldn't sleep..." he finished lamely.
"Neither could I." Yuki retorted wryly. It was quite dark in Yuki's room, and though he could see Yuki's eyes, he couldn't quite see their color, much less their expression. "I was just about to check on you, actually." His voice softened. "I feel a little uncomfortable sleeping in my room while you have to sleep downstairs."
A stray moonbeam illuminated a patch of Yuki's cheek, and Kyou couldn't help but notice how it grew red at his last statement. It was then that Kyou realized how close they were standing. Kyou felt himself flush a little, but made no effort to distance himself. Instead, he continued to observe Yuki's behavior. He was standing straight up as usual, but his hand was toying with the cuff of one of his old night shirts. This was a clear sign that he was nervous, and for some reason, Kyou felt the signs of nervousness flutter over him, too.
They stood there like that for a long time before Kyou realized he should do something, so he moved forward a little to let the door swing slide behind him. Yuki didn't back up, and Kyou could feel the delicious warmth of the body in front of him. He bit his lip, suddenly very glad that it was dark. There was something so right about being this close to Yuki. Something that, when he tried to think about it, just made his stomach do flips.
He wanted to touch Yuki.
His eyes slid back down to the fingers caressing the cuff of the shirt, and without thinking about it, he reached out and wrapped his hand around Yuki's nervous fingers. He wanted to be closer, and Yuki gasped as Kyou pulled his rival towards him.
They were now touching, stomach to stomach and chest to chest. Aside from the gasp, Kyou hadn't said anything, and Kyou's mind was reeling. Yuki wasn't pulling away, but then, he wasn't doing anything at all. He was just standing there, staring into Kyou's eyes with an unreadable expression. Kyou took a deep breath, and inhaled the most beautiful scent of flowery shampoo and aftershave. The scent coupled with the incredible warmth of being pressed up against one another threatened to explode Kyou's heart, and filled with need, he moved his face towards Yuki's. Still, there was no reaction, not even when he closed his eyes and pressed his lips against his.
They were soft and gentle, not quite yielding, but not rejecting. It was a small kiss, innocent and confusing, and when Yuki still hadn't returned it after a few moments, he drew away, averting his gaze. What was he doing? What was Yuki thinking?
His hand was still curled around Yuki's, and neither of them made any move to change it. But now, Kyou was deeply flushed, memories assaulting him from every angle.
Just when did he start feeling this way about him?
His actions had come from instincts, but instincts are fueled by feelings. The feelings he felt then were so similar to many of the things he encountered in his everyday life around Yuki. Similar, but not quite exact. It was everything he had always felt for Yuki, stripped of their negative aspects. It was... intimate.
He felt it well up inside him; all the feelings he'd never put together; everything he'd ignored. It felt good, so good he wished time would stop so this moment would never end.
"Kyou..." Yuki said suddenly scaring Kyou out of his thoughts. He hadn't expected to hear the rat speak, but now that he has he wondered what he could have wanted to say.
"Yeah, Yuki."
"You can't keep doing this. We have to control ourselves, at least until Kagura leaves. Even if it takes weeks, we can't let Akito find out. So we need to stay apart." Yuk explained calmly, though his cold expression showed some nervous feeling.
Those words stabbed Kyou in the heart, stay apart. How could Yuki say those things so easily. He felt as if he would cry, but he understood. "Ok, Yuki." Kyou released the boy and headed for the door. "Good night." He replied as he closed the door behind him. He leaned his back against the door and sighed. Hopeless.
"Kyou-kun?" A soft, sleepy sounding voice said from farther down the hall. Kyou jumped and looked at the head popped out from inside the other room. Kagura stared dumbly at him. "Are you alright? I heard all those noise downstairs and I thought you were having trouble getting to sleep."
"Oh, me. No. I was just messing around, you know. Curiosity killed the cat." As much as he hated that cliché' term, he could come up with nothing better to say. "I'll be quiet, go on to sleep." He smiled as he headed down the stairs.
"Kyou..." Kagura blushed, that last statement sounded nicer than usual. He wouldn't have normally care if he was deserving her sleep, than why now.
A/N: I’m extremely sorry for taking so long, I just keep getting stuck with this story. I try to stay in the original plot, but I have trouble. Oh, well at least I got this chapter written finally, cause I really don’t want to end or discontinue this story.