Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ The Cat And The Mouse ❯ Uneasy Questions ( Chapter 17 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Chapter Seventeen
Uneasy Questions

The day had begun with such promise, but ended with failure. Here Yuki was, alone and depressed. Ever since Shigure wordlessly agreed to help them with the Akito problem, Yuki has had a burning question for Kyou. But being how important it was, he couldn't ask at just any old time. The perfect opportunities had presented themselves, but he had failed miserably. Each carefully planned atmosphere was quickly destroy before Yuki had his chance. He sighed remorsefully and painfully reminisced on the past attempts of the day.

-Flashback-

Yuki was groggily brought from his sleep by the morning sun. Reluctantly, he sat up in bed, wiping the heavy sleep from his eyes. Luckily it was Saturday and he didn't have school. A pleasant smile found its way to his face with this realization. He hurried from bed and quickly got dressed. He cheerfully left his room and stunted down the hall.

"Morning, Yuki." Tooru remarked politely coming from the kitchen. "You certainly seem happier today."

"That I am Ms. Honda." Yuki replied, giving her his signature smiles, causing her to blush deepy. "Oh, where's Kagura?" He asked noting she wasn't in the kitchen, which was where she usually was, helping Tooru.

"Kagura is getting ready. We're going shopping today." Tooru grinned excitedly. "So I hope you guys can survive without us making breakfast and lunch."

"What?! You mean we have to make it?!" Kyou quickly interrupted, stomping down the hall as well. "Why do you think we let you stay here, Tooru? To cook and clean, remember?" Kyou pointed furiously.

"That's rude, Kyou!" Kagura was quick to slapped him in the back of the head as she also came into the room. But forgetting her strength, she had accidentally knocked Kyou to the floor with that one hit. "Oops, sorry. But you do deserve that. How dare you be mean to Tooru, when all she does is put up with your stupidity!"

"What?! Now your taking her side! What happened to, 'stay away from my Kyou! Or, you better not touch him!'" Kyou mocked childishly.

"But you're not my Kyou-wou anymore, you're Yuki's. Which means I can be mean to you without having a reason." She grinned devilishly.

Yuki laughed as Kyou pouted in self-reflection, crossing his arms and perking up his lips. "It's delightfully amusing, watching my kitten pout in frustration." Yuki whispered seductively, leaning in close to the cat's ear. Kyou's whole face turned red at this remark and he was at a lost for words.

"Well, we will be going now!" Kagura yelled quickly, rolling her eyes at the boys display. She grabbed Tooru's hand and quickly dragged her out of the house and down the path.

"That certainly got rid of them quick." Yuki smirked, wrapping one arm around Kyou's waist. "Or would you rather have made a show for them?" Kyou shock his head bashfully.

"Now what are we going to do about breakfast?" Kyou mumbled. "Maybe we can ask Shigure to get take-out."

"Sorry, no can do. I'm out." Shigure rushed in the statement before heading toward the door.

"Hey, where are you headed!" Kyou caught the dog just before he left.

Releasing a frustrated sigh, Shigure looked back. "I'm going to Akito's, have a problem with that?"

"No." Pouted Kyou. "But I hop you're not up to something else. You didn't get back from there until late last night. I was worried if Akito had killed you are even worse...molested you."

Shigure laughed relutctantly, sweat dropping. "Oh, so little Kyou-wou was worried about me. That's so sweet-but I think Yuki would be furious with an affair." He snickered.

"I'm right here, Shigure." Yuki said coldly, glaring angrily at the dog. Pulling his cat closer to him, "just get going, mutt. Another comment like that and I castrate you." Yuki's tome had caused Shigure to shiver with fear, scaring him easily from the house and out the door. "That's much better." Yuki smirked. Looking back at the cat in his arms, "now we have the whole place to ourselves, my kitten." He only received a nervous look from his lover. "Kyou..." He loosen his grip around the cat and looked into his eyes deeply. "I've been thinking of something very important lately, but I just don't know how to put it into words..." He blushed. "You know how much I love you, and that I will do anything for you. But it not enough to just love you. I want to...have you. I want us to be together everyday, without fear of something or someone coming between us. So, will you-"

Just as Yuki was about to finish, how else would be there to ruin the moment?

"Oh, Yuki! My brother! I came as soon as I heard the news!" The silver haired snake himself had no doubly snuck in and threw himself dramatically in-between the two boys.

Yuki's eyes widened with hatred. "Ayame. What are you doing here? At at this moment of all times!" Yuki had to force himself to hold his anger and not straggle his brother, but the fury still escaped in his voice.

"Oh, my brother. You don't sound happy to see me." Ayame embraced the foaming mouse, affectionately. "But don't worry my brother, I will make it all better! Rumors are going around the Sohma's that you and that revolting cat are an item. But why brother, tell me it isn't true! There was so much hope with Tooru." He exclaimed, falling to his knees.

"Hey! I'm right here you stupid snake!" Kyou hollered, his presence still being ignored.

"You're such a drama queen." Yuki murmured as he glower at the young male at his feet. "As much as I would love to tell the truth and destroy your hopes and dreams easily..." He smirked evilly. "It is none of you damn business."

"Brother, how can you be so cruel?! I'd tell you anything! Please, brother tell me, I must know if you are really infatuated by this mangy flea-bidden feline." He pointed to Kyou as if he were a putrid smelling pile of garbage.

As much as he was happy Ayame finally acknowledged his existence, he was infuriated by the comments said about it regardless. "Shut up, you damn snake! I ripe you head off, fry you up and then serve it to the stupid girl, saying its a present for surrendering my Yuki!" Kyou blurted out in anger.

"So it is true, my brother! I can't believe you! Why this thing?!" Ayame wept graciously at Yuki's feet. "If you are to love men, why not me!" He cried. "At least let it be someone worthy of your beauty and intelligence!"

Yuki was easily disgusted by the offer and kicked the snake. "Don't even consider that a possibility. I'd rather kiss Akito than have a crush on you!"

"Yuki!" Kyou yelled, sadness in his eyes.

"I'm sorry, my kitten. I didn't mean it." He rushed to his cat's side and comforted him in a warm embrace.

"No!" Ayame exclaimed. "Why Yuki! Why not Hatsuharu, he already likes you? Or even Momoji, he is certainly adorable enough to match your beauty. Anyone but that, my brother!"

Yuki growl menacingly and quickly punched the snake. "Come on, Kyou." He pulled his love out of the house before Ayame gained enough strength to follow.

"That damn snake is always ruining everything. And he's always so dawn dramatic." Yuki complained, walking hand in hand with Kyou.

"Yuki..." The cat muttered sadly, drawing the mouse's attention easily.

"What is it, Kyou? You don't really believe any of that stuff Ayame said back there, do you?" He looked worried and fear held in his voice.

"No...its just if your own brother can't accept us...then maybe we shouldn't-"

"What are you talking about?! I've always hated my brother, and so have you! Why does it all of a sudden matter what he thinks or says?" Coming to a halt, Yuki pulled the cat back into his arms. "I told you kitten...I don't care about anyone else. The only people that matter are you and me. I don't need anyone's approval to love you, not even Akito's. Though it would be grateful if he accepted us, but I will love you regardless of his opinion."

"Thank you, Yuki." Kyou smiled painfully, but knew Yuki meant every word.

"I don't want you to be ashamed of our relationship, Kyou. Of course I'm not ashamed one bit. I'm proud of the one I've fallen in love with. I'll do anything to prove it. That is if you allow me to. Will you...will you allow me prove how much I love you? Will you-"

"Hey! Isn't that prince Yuki, over there!" A high pitch voice exclaimed, loudly.

"Yeah, I think it is. Why is he over there with that other boy?" Another high pitch voice remarked.

Yuki turned around irritated by the constant interruptions. He glared creepily at the girls who were unmistakably apart of his fan club from school. It seems they have managed to ruin another precious moment in his life.

The girls were frightened by Yuki's hateful glare and ran for the hills, screaming about Yuki being possessed and how poor Yuki is being controlled.

"Umm...Yuki?" Kyou broke Yuki's death glare with the running girls. "What's going on?"

"Nothing." He sighed sadly. "Let's just go get some breakfast."

"Really? Great!" Kyou cheered excitedly. "But no leeks, or else!" He quickly added as he followed a depressed Yuki toward a restaurant.

***

"This has been the worst day ever." Yuki groaned, lying on the floor helplessly. He had tried another time at the restaurant, but just as he was about to ask, the waitress came with their food. Then again he tried after they ate, but failed when they had a stare run in with Tooru's weird friends on the way home. They were concerned about Tooru living in the same house with people she loved but could have because of their relationship. Luckily, Yuki had managed to convince them, Tooru was happy with just being apart of the family without being in a relationship.

When everyone started to come home, besides Shigure, Yuki moved out onto the roof to avoid listening to more Kyou and Kagura arguing.

-End Of Flashback-

"Why can't I just ask Kyou? This shouldn't be so hard." He moaned, looking hopelessly at the night stars. "Its like everyone doesn't want us together..."

"If its such a problem, then why do you stay with me?" Kyou suddenly joined the mouse on the roof. Yuki nearly jumped off by the sudden entrance.

"Because, I love you!" He rushed in and said, so that Kyou wouldn't get the wrong idea.

"I know. But I love you enough to know that I can't have you like this." Kyou sighed and sat down beside his lover. "Everyone's opinion is driving me crazy. Of course I know they don't matter, but I still don't like having to spend most of my life worrying about what they think. I mean Yuki...there will always be people to hate this relationship. You have so many admirers..."

"I don't give a damn!" Yuki yelled, scaring Kyou. "I don't fucking care about them. They could all go to hell! I just want you!" He face redden with anger and frustration as he tried to get his point across. "As long as you approve of our relationship, I can be happy. But lately its what they think, with you. And it truly makes me doubt..."

"Yuki..." Kyou mutter softly, looking at him with admiration.

"I've been trying to tell you all day, so here goes..." Yuki took a deep breath. "Will you marry me?!" He ended up yelling for fear that yet another interruption would ruin this gracious opportunity.

Kyou's amber eyes widen in astonishment. Maybe if he wasn't so thick headed, he could have figured out what Yuki wanted to ask him earlier, and it wouldn't be such a surprise. Kyou smiled after a moment of silence, a single tear ran down his cheek. "Why would you think I'd say anything else but yes?" he jumped his love and kissed him. "Of course I will, Yuki!"

Yuki gave his truest smile, so maybe this day wasn't a complete failure.