Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ The Lone Wolf ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Okay, this is my first Furuba fic. I've only read books 1-6, so I only have half of the information, but I thought it was enough for now. LOL Read and review, please???? Thankies!!!!
 
Disclaimer: I don't own Furuba or any of the songs in this chapter. Although I wish I owned them… but I don't!!!! So you no sue!!!! Hahaha!!!!
 
 
 
Chapter One
 
 
Tohru was in the kitchen making breakfast when Kyo stomped glumly down the stairs and sat at the table. Tohru looked at him strangely for a moment before she turned back to the food. She thought Kyo looked more depressed than usual.
 
Over the last few days, almost all of the Sohma family has been depressed, she thought. Even the happy-go-lucky Momiji had been sadder than usual. Hana-chan said something the other day about their waves being sadder. I wonder what's wrong.
 
Shigure walked in and sat down at the table as the half asleep Yuki stumbled in and joined his cousins at the kotatsu. Tohru handed each person their food and sat down to join them. They ate in a slightly awkward silence until Tohru spoke up.
 
“Kyo-kun, what's wrong???? You seem to be really sad this morning,” Tohru said. Kyo didn't answer nor look up at her.
 
“Well, you know how today is the fifteenth of March????” Shigure asked, earning a nod from Tohru in reply. “Well, four years ago, a young girl went missing from this area. Her name was Sayuri, but we all called her Saya.”
 
“Today would have been her sixteenth birthday,” Yuki said sadly. Shigure nodded, and all the men at the table were plunged into memories of the girl.
 
“Wow. She must have been important to you guys,” Tohru said.
 
“Saya was important to most of the Sohmas, especially Kyo. You see…” Shigure started, but was cut off by Kyo.
 
“Shut up, Shigure. I don't want to talk about it,” Kyo said irritably. Shigure scowled, and Yuki just watched this exchange.
 
“Tohru-kun has a right to know what happened to Saya-chan,” Shigure reasoned. Kyo stood hastily.
 
“I said I don't want to talk about it!!!! It was a long time ago!!!!” he yelled as he ran up the stairs and slammed the door to his room. After a minute, you could hear a homemade CD blaring out some song. She noticed it sounded like American music, so she listened intently. She understood the lyrics completely, since they had to take English in school.
 
I never could have seen this far
I never could have seen this coming
It seems like my world's falling apart
Yeah
Why is everything so hard?
I don't think that I can deal
With the things you said
It just won't go away
 
In a perfect world
This could never happen
In a perfect world
You'd still be here
And it makes no sense
I can just pick up the pieces
But to you this means nothing
Nothing at all
 
I used to think that I was strong
Until the day it all went wrong
I think I need a miracle to make it through
Yeah
I wish that I could bring you back
I wish that I could turn back time
Cuz I can't let go
I just can't find my way
Yeah
Without you I just can't find my way
 
In a perfect world
This could never happen
In a perfect world
You'd still be here
And it makes no sense
I can just pick up the pieces
But to you this means nothing
Nothing at all
 
I don't know what I should do now
I don't know where I should go
I'm still here waiting for you
I'm lost when you're not around
I need to hold on to you
I just can't let you go
 
Yeah, yeah
 
In a perfect world
This could never happen
In a perfect world
You'd still be here
And it makes no sense
I can just pick up the pieces
But to you this means nothing
Nothing at all
You feel nothing
Nothing at all
 
Nothing at all
 
She heard Yuki and Shigure sigh. “He's playing their mix again,” Yuki said sadly. Shigure shook his head and turned to finish telling the story to Tohru.
 
“The reason he's so upset is because Saya was his girlfriend when she was kidnapped,” he stated simply. Tohru's eyes widened in surprise.
 
“But doesn't that mean she knew about the curse????” Yuki nodded and continued where his cousin had left off.
 
“Yeah. Remember that American family we told you about a long time ago????” Yuki asked.
 
“The family whose members turned into animals when they had an emotional overload???? Yeah, I remember.” Tohru thought back to the time when they had told her of the cursed American family.
 
>>>>Flashback<<<<
 
“Is your family the only one cursed like this????” Tohru asked. She was sitting at the kotatsu with Shigure and Yuki. Kyo and Haru were outside fighting… again. Shigure shook his head and made sure that Kyo was still busy.
 
“No. Don't tell Kyo or anyone else outside this room I told you this. Promise????” Shigure asked, and Tohru nodded. If Shigure didn't want anyone to know besides her, then she wouldn't tell anyone. “Okay, well, in America, there's supposed to be this family that's cursed similar to us. When one of the cursed members has an emotional overload, like if they keep all their emotions bottled up and they come surging out at one time, they'll transform. Not into the Chinese zodiac, but into American animals. There are thirteen, I believe.” He looked to Yuki, who sat down his tea and continued the story.
 
“The main twelve are the bear, hawk, deer, squirrel, panther, eagle, raven, fox, coyote, raccoon, turtle, and owl. The thirteenth is the wolf. The thirteenth cursed person is supposed to change the fate of that family, so they normally shun the wolf. I don't know where or when their curse originated or why they were those thirteen animals. I don't think anyone, even the members of that family, knows,” Yuki said. Tohru nodded, and they sat in silence.
 
>>>>End Flashback<<<<
 
“Yeah. Well, remember how I said that the wolf was normally shunned or disowned from the family to keep them from changing the way things had always been for them????” Yuki said, and Tohru nodded.
 
“Saya was the wolf, but in her case, she wasn't shunned or disowned. They just preferred violence to keep her in line. She had run away and gotten help from a social worker to come here where her family wouldn't find her. She was six when she came here, and she had moved in down the street with part of the non-cursed Sohma family. Remember Shishou????” Yuki continued, waiting for Tohru's response.
 
“Yes, I remember him,” she replied simply, waiting for Yuki or Shigure to finish telling her the story.
 
“Saya spent most of her time at the dojo, which is where we met her. She stayed here for six years, and we had all become friends with her. Even Haru, and she helped him control his Black side. Then, one day, she just stopped coming to school. We asked Shishou, and he hadn't seen her at all, and when we asked her foster parents, they said that she had gone to school that morning, and she hadn't come back yet, and this was late at night. We all put out missing posters, but we never heard anything. That was four years ago. Today would have been her sixteenth birthday, as Yuki said earlier,” Shigure finished. Tohru nodded sadly and noticed that a new song was coming from Kyo's CD player.
 
You don't remember me
But I remember you
I lie awake and try so hard
Not to think of you
But who can decide what they dream?
And dream I do…
 
I believe in you
I'll give up everything just to find you
I have to be with you to live to breathe
You're taking over me
 
Have you forgotten all I know
And all we had?
You saw me mourning my love for you
And touched my hand
I knew you loved me then
 
I believe in you
I'll give up everything just to find you
I have to be with you to live to breathe
You're taking over me
 
I look in the mirror and see your face
If I look deep enough
So many things inside that are
Just like you are taking over
 
I believe in you
I'll give up everything just to find you
I have to be with you to live to breathe
You're taking over me
 
I believe in you
I'll give up everything just to find you
I have to be with you to live to breathe
You're taking over me
 
You're taking over me
Taking over me
 
Tohru looked at the clock and noticed that it was time for them to leave for school. She stood and looked up the stairs to see if Kyo was going to come down.
 
“Stupid cat. He should know sulking won't bring her back,” Yuki said as he stood and they said goodbye to Shigure as they left. They met up with Saki and Arisa on the way to school, and continued their day as usual.
 
Whenever Tohru passed by any members of the Sohma family that day, she noticed that they all seemed a little down in the dumps, and she remembered that Shigure had said that they had all been friends with Sayuri and today would have been her birthday, and she thought that may have been the reason. They all went through the day as usual, or at least tried to, for the Sohmas' parts.
 
After the last period bell rang, Yuki told Tohru that he had to stay after for a student council meeting, so she headed home with Uo and Hanajima. After the three of them had split up to go home, Tohru decided that she would sit in the park for a bit. It had been a while since she had been there. She walked over to the swings and sat down on one and pushed herself forward and back a little. She closed her eyes and thought of everything that had happened since her mother's death. She had met the Sohma family and she had come to live with them, and many of them had become her friends. She was pulled out of her thoughts when she heard a familiar song drifting on the wind.
 
You don't remember me
But I remember you
I lie awake and try so hard
Not to think of you
But who can decide what they dream?
And dream I do…
 
I believe in you
I'll give up everything just to find you
I have to be with you to live to breathe
You're taking over me
 
Have you forgotten all I know
And all we had?
You saw me mourning my love for you
And touched my hand
I knew you loved me then
 
I believe in you
I'll give up everything just to find you
I have to be with you to live to breathe
You're taking over me
 
I look in the mirror and see your face
If I look deep enough
So many things inside that are
Just like you are taking over
 
I believe in you
I'll give up everything just to find you
I have to be with you to live to breathe
You're taking over me
 
I believe in you
I'll give up everything just to find you
I have to be with you to live to breathe
You're taking over me
 
You're taking over me
Taking over me
 
She looked around and saw a girl about her age perched on the back of a bench. The girl looked sad, but Tohru also noticed something. The girl looked at her surroundings with a sense of familiarity in her eyes that could only have been there if she knew the area. The girl sighed.
 
“I guess I can't remember how to get there from the park,” Tohru heard her say to herself with a wry smile on her face. Tohru walked up to the girl and decided to introduce herself. She noticed that the girl didn't look Japanese, but she couldn't place it.
 
“Um, hi. I'm Tohru Honda. Are you lost????” Tohru asked, startling the girl. She whirled around with wide eyes, and when she saw Tohru, she relaxed.
 
“Uh… kinda. I used to live around here and I can't remember how to get to a friend's house from here,” the girl said sheepishly. “Oh, by the way, I'm Sayuri Raleigh.”
 
“Do you need help finding your friend's house???? I'll help you,” Tohru offered. She now knew that the girl was an American, since she spoke her flawless Japanese with a slight accent, but it was barely noticeable.
 
“I don't want to inconvenience you, but if you don't mind…” Sayuri said.
 
“Oh, I don't mind, Raleigh-san.” Sayuri cringed.
 
“Please. Call me Sayuri. Or better yet, Saya. That's what all my friends around here used to call me,” Saya said with a smile.
 
“Oh, sorry, Saya-chan,” Tohru said with an apologetic smile. Wait, where do I know that name from????
 
“It's okay, Honda-san,” Saya replied.
 
“Since we're on a first name basis, you can call me Tohru.”
 
“Okay, Tohru-kun,” Saya said happily.
 
“Now, where does your friend live????” Tohru asked Saya. Saya thought about it for a moment before she stood and began to dig through her pockets until she pulled out a scrap of paper.
 
“They live at this address,” Saya said as she handed the scrap of paper to Tohru. Her eyes widened when she saw the address.
 
“You know the Sohmas????” Tohru asked. Saya looked around before answering.
 
“Yeah… long story there… I'll tell ya one day, `kay, Tohru-kun????” Saya said. Tohru's eyes looked over the strange girl.
 
Saya had straight black hair that was layered with her bangs falling around her chin and the rest of her hair was pulled into a ponytail at the nape of her neck. There were highlights in her hair that appeared a silverish color, and her eyes were the same color. She wore baggy jeans and a black spaghetti strap shirt. Around her neck was a dogtag necklace that had a rose etched into it, and on each wrist was a hair tie. She wore black sneakers and small silver hoops in the lower piercings in her ears and in her left cartilage was a black stud. She wore black eyeliner, mascara, brown eyeshadow, and clear lipgloss. What Tohru noticed more than the girl's appearance was the bruises on her arms and cheek.
 
“Okay. Let's go before it gets dark,” Tohru said as she turned in the direction of Shigure's house.
 
“Thanks, Tohru-kun. I really appreciate it,” Saya said as they began to walk in the direction she could only assume was the right one.
 
“No problem,” Tohru said with a smile as the two of them walked off into the sunset towards Shigure's house and towards the new surprises that await them.
 
 
Okay, that wasn't so bad, was it???? Now, if you will, REVIEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Note: The more you review, the sooner I post. Not write the chapters, but POST them. LOL Just tell me what you think, whether you think it sucks or it rocks. Hey, it's your opinion. Opinions are like elbows- everyone's got some. LOL REVIEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!