Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ The Lone Wolf ❯ Chapter Two ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Okay, here's the second chapter. I don't own the quote between father and daughter, because that's from `Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children', one of my favorite movies now. LOL Okay, so you know the drill!!!!! ^.^
 
 
Chapter Two
 
 
Last time:
 
“Okay. Let's go before it gets dark,” Tohru said as she turned in the direction of Shigure's house.
 
“Thanks, Tohru-kun. I really appreciate it,” Saya said as they began to walk in the direction she could only assume was the right one.
 
“No problem,” Tohru said with a smile as the two of them walked off into the sunset towards Shigure's house and towards the new surprises that await them.
 
Now:
 
They walked on, thoughts running through both of their heads. Tohru wondered if this girl was the same Saya that Shigure and Yuki had told her about, the one that had been dating Kyo.
 
“Umm… Tohru-kun???? Can I ask you something????” Saya began hesitantly.
 
“Sure, Saya-chan. What's bothering you????” Tohru replied. She looked at Saya and saw the look on her face and became concerned for her newfound friend.
 
“Well… is… is Kyo mad at me????” she asked, a slight tremor in her voice. Tohru was taken aback.
 
“Why would you think that????” Tohru asked dubiously. Saya stopped and looked at Tohru before she began explaining.
 
“Well, today is my sixteenth birthday, and I haven't seen any of the Sohma family for four years,” Saya began. Tohru's eyes widened.
 
“Shigure and Yuki told me about you. They said you disappeared and no one knew what had happened to you!!!!” Tohru exclaimed. Saya smiled faintly.
 
“Why was it always Shigure and Yuki who always tell my story????” she asked herself redundantly. “Anyway, since you know most of what happened between the time I came here and the time I `disappeared', I suppose I'll tell you what's happened in the past four years,” Saya said, and she perched herself on top of a concrete flowerbed that lined the sidewalk. Tohru joined her and Saya began to tell the story of what had happened over the last four years.
 
“Well, first off, I didn't really disappear. More like I was kidnapped. My family somehow found out I had run away and they came after me. I was on my way to school, and I hadn't met up with Kyo and Yuki yet, so I was on my own until I got to their house. I was walking through the park where you found me when they grabbed me.”
 
>>>>> Flashback <<<<<
 
A twelve year old Saya walked through the park with a smile on her face. Today she was supposed to go to the movies with Kyo, her boyfriend of six months. She hummed a little tune that popped into her head. Suddenly, she felt strong arms wrap around her waist. She started to scream when a rough hand clamped her mouth shut tight. She panicked and began fighting, fearing for her life.
 
“Shut up and stop fidgeting,” a harsh voice commanded. Her eyes widened in fear when she recognized the voice. Oh no, she thought. This is not good. In fact, this is very bad. She bit the hand that covered her mouth and struggled out of the arms that held her. She spit on the ground as she glared at the two men that had been standing behind her.
 
“What the hell are you two doing here?????” she hissed angrily. She really didn't want any of her family to be here, especially her brothers Noah and Derrick. She knew that if they were there, at least three other family members had followed them, most likely her sister Danielle, her cousin Reagan, and her uncle Marshall.
 
“What do you think we're doing here???? We've come to take you home!!!!” Derrick yelled. Saya laughed.
 
“Take me home????” she asked mockingly. “I am home!!!! I have a family here that actually loves me for who I am!!!!! That's more than I could say for any of you!!!!! None of them ever laid a hand on me. I trained this whole time so that I wouldn't be as weak as I was before, and I'm not.”
 
She heard a sarcastic laugh and saw her father step out of the bushes. Aww crap!!!!!! This is not good in the least bit!!!!! She took a step back and tried to put as much distance between her father and herself as possible.
 
“Really??? Is that so??? Tell me what you cherish most. Give me the pleasure of taking it away,” he said, grinning evilly.
 
She scowled and took up a fighting stance, throwing her bookbag to the ground. “I pity you. You just don't get it at all.” She motioned for him to come and try to take her against her will. “There's nothing I don't cherish!!!!”
 
He smirked again and took up his usual stance. The look in his eyes sent shivers down her spine. It was the same look that he gave Saya herself before he had almost killed her back home.
 
“You know what happened the last time you tried to run away from us. I would have killed you if your mother hadn't saved you and told me that we needed you alive so that nothing would change and another exile wouldn't be born until you die, so we just decided to get rid of everyone you ever loved or had a relationship with,” her father said sadistically.
 
Her eyes widened as she realized it was true. She knew that if he knew that she had someone that rooted her to this place, he would destroy them all.
 
“So which is it, Sayuri???? Fight to try and stay here and watch everyone you care for die, or would you rather come home and spare everyone from dying by your hands????” Noah asked. Saya lowered her fists in thought. She couldn't stand the thought of watching Kyo, Yuki, or Shigure die.
 
“Fine. Bu if I go back, will you promise not to hurt them????” she asked sadly.
 
“We won't touch a hair on their heads,” Derrick agreed. She looked back at the city she had grown to love over the years and thought of the people it held within. She felt her eyes begin to water as she thought of Kyo finding out what had happened. She took a step toward the house and heard her father shout commands at her brothers.
 
“Derrick, grab her!!!! Noah, make sure the car's ready!!!!” he shouted. She heard her brothers scrambling to the places their father had assigned them. She felt Derrick's arms wrap around her waist again and she was jerked backwards. She kicked against his hold and tried to get away.
 
“No!!!!! Let me go!!!!! Let me GO!!!!!!!” she yelled. She was thrown into the back of a van and felt the car driving away. “NO!!!! YOU CAN'T DO THIS TO ME!!!!!!!!!! NO!!!!!!!!”
 
>>>>> End Flashback <<<<<
 
“Oh no!!!! That's terrible!!!!” Tohru exclaimed. Saya shrugged.
 
“I managed to make it out again and I came to the first place I thought of. No one knows I'm back yet, though, and I'm planning on surprising them.” She jumped down from where she had been sitting with Tohru. Tohru also clambered down and the two began walking towards Shigure's again. They walked in silence, each thinking their own thoughts. Soon they had reached the edge of the Sohma estate where Shigure lived. Saya turned to Tohru.
 
“Hey, Tohru. Thanks for coming with me. It really means a lot to have a new friend that's not related to the Sohmas,” she said.
 
“Hey, it's no big deal. Really. I'm heading there myself, actually,” Tohru replied, smiling.
 
“You are??? If you don't mind me asking, why???” Saya asked curiously.
 
“Well, a while back my mom died, and I was living in a tent on Sohma property, even though I didn't know it. When Yuki-kun and Shigure-san found me, they offered to let me stay with them, and they let me move in with them, so I live there now,” Tohru said cheerfully.
 
Saya stopped walking and looked at her companion. “Tell me that the attic room is still there. You know, the one with the walls covered with band posters???? Tell me they haven't gotten rid of my room,” Saya asked frantically. She laughed at her own foolishness. “Listen to me. I must sound so damn selfish right now that it's not even funny. I'm only concerned about my old room when I should be happy that I have a friend in the house that's not a guy!!!!” she exclaimed ecstatically. She hugged Tohru and jumped up and down. Tohru smiled and hugged her back.
 
“Okay, I have an idea. You head into the house like you usually would, and I'll sneak in and surprise them. But whatever you do, don't say anything about meeting me. Okay????” Saya said, grabbing Tohru's hands in her own.
 
“Okay…” Tohru said hesitantly. Saya grinned happily as she ran off towards the woods surrounding Shigure's house. Tohru watched as Saya dashed off into the woods and sighed. It wasn't every day that she met someone like that. “Oh well…” she murmured before she headed towards the door.
 
She opened the door and took off her shoes in the entryway. “Hey guys. I'm home,” she called. She heard footsteps coming from the living room and saw Yuki enter the foyer.
 
“Honda-san. We were beginning to get worried about you,” he said worriedly. Tohru blushed as she walked with him into the living room where Shigure sat reading today's newspaper.
 
“No, it was mostly you, Yuki, who did the worrying, not me,” Shigure corrected as he turned the page. Tohru saw the faint blush on Yuki's face and she smiled. “So what exactly was our little flower doing on this fine day????” Shigure asked.
 
“You were safe, weren't you Honda-san????” Yuki asked. Tohru nodded.
 
“I was just taking a walk through the park, that's all,” Tohru answered. Shigure put down his newspaper and sighed.
 
“So you weren't out spending time with any of your high school girlfriends????” he asked glumly. Tohru saw a stone fly through the window and hit Shigure in the back of the head.
 
“Ow!!!!!!” he cried, rubbing the now sore spot on his skull.
 
“Heh. You never change, you pervert,” a feminine voice called from outside the window. A slim figure slipped in from off the rooftop and landed on the windowsill. “And Tohru does have a first name, Yuki.” Both Yuki and Shigure were staring open-mouthed at the girl. “What??? Do I have a huge sign on my head that says, `Stare at me with your mouths catching flies' on it or something???”
 
Tohru just looked from the two guys to Saya and back again. Shigure was the first to speak.
 
“S-Sayuri????”
 
She smiled as she walked towards them. “It's nice to see you guys, too,” she said with a laugh. Yuki could only stare at the girl in front of him. He knew she had changed just by the way she carried herself.
 
“You've let your hair grow again,” he said softly, still in a slight shock, earning another smile from the girl.
 
“Yeah. I decided that I had to change a lot of things about me when I promised myself that I would never be weak again, and that was one of them,” she stated.
 
Shigure also noticed that she was favoring her left side and he saw the bruises covering her skin. “It looks like you've gotten into a fight recently,” Shigure said, concerned for the girl that had become like family to him all those years ago.
 
Saya laughed nervously. “It's a long story. I'll tell you when the time is right.” She walked over to Yuki and smiled. “You've grown. I can see that you've changed too. That's what hard times do to people,” she said gently. He wrapped his arms around her and smiled. She returned the hug with tears in her eyes.
 
“You have no idea what it was like, not knowing what had happened to you for all these years,” Yuki said after he pulled away. He gave her a brotherly smile. Saya smiled back at him and Shigure walked over to her and pulled her into a hug. She hugged him back with a smile, glad to be with her family again. After she pulled away, she asked the two a question.
 
“How… how's Kyo been???” she asked uncertainly. Yuki and Shigure looked at each other before they answered.
 
“He's been sulking all week, and this morning he was listening to the mix you made before you left and he refused to leave his room all day,” Shigure said.
 
“Oh… well…” Saya couldn't imagine what would happen if he saw her again.
 
“I know what you're thinking. He'll be glad to see you, I'm sure. We all know that you two were inseparable four years ago,” Yuki reasoned. Saya looked unsure, but she nodded.
 
“You're right, Yuki. At least, I hope you are,” she said nervously.
 
“Oh… and your room is still there,” Shigure said absentmindedly.
 
“Oh!!! Thanks, Shigure!!!” Saya said happily. “I'm going to head up there now. If Kyo comes down, I don't want any of you to say a word about me being here to him, got it?!?!” Saya demanded. The others nodded and she turned on her heel with a smile and headed up the staircase quietly, the booming music coming from what she assumed was now Kyo's room masking the soft pitter patter of her almost bare feet. She reached a small doorway and slid open the sliding door to reveal a small, steep staircase leading up into the attic of the house. She slid the door closed behind her and flipped on the lights from the bottom of the stairs. She noticed a set of fresh footprints in the dust that lead to and from her room.
 
She walked up the staircase slowly and softly until she reached the door at the top. She took a deep breath as she spoke to herself.
 
“Moment of truth…” she said softly as she put her hand on the doorknob. As she pushed open the door, she gasped. She'd forgotten what her room had looked like after all these years. There wasn't any dust at all, like someone regularly came in and dusted her room. She smiled faintly as her sensitive nose picked up Kyo's familiar scent. She looked around and took in her surroundings, since she hadn't been here in years. Her grayish-blue bedspread was smoothed out, the wooden floor shining, her oak desk clear and polished. On it was the laptop that she had bought with her babysitting money when she was eleven. Her stereo was on a small table, surrounded by several pictures. She looked at them all and smiled softly as she thought of the memories that went with them.
 
One was a picture of Kyo and Yuki back to back with their arms crossed. She was standing behind them with one arm over each of their shoulders, and she was happy. You could tell that the boys were having a hard time holding back a smile. She remembered that the two of them had been fighting again, and since they were almost evenly matched at the time, since Yuki was holding back and they all knew it except Kyo, and she was tired of them just sulking, so she had decided to cheer them up. That had been right before she'd disappeared.
 
Another was a picture of Kyo and Yuki dueling it out at the dojo when they were about eight. She had taken the picture from the sidelines because she had already won in the girls tournament and was waiting for one of the boys to win so that she could fight them. Yuki had beat Kyo, as usual. The match between her and Yuki had been a draw, since Shishou had had to call it off because they were perfectly matched in their abilities at that time.
 
One of her favorites was a double exposed photo of Kyo and Yuki, taken separately. Kyo had fallen asleep while he had been doing his homework, and Yuki was half asleep in his breakfast one morning. That had been when they were all about ten. She had taken both of them without either's notice, and she had always cherished it the most, because it showed her closest friends in the Sohma family.
 
She saw that there was a vase of roses next to the pictures and she wondered who had put them there. She walked over to her bed and looked underneath it. She smiled when she saw the handmade dolls sitting underneath it. There was a mouse, a cat, a wolf, a cow, a rabbit, a tiger, a sheep, a dog, a snake, and a seahorse. She remembered making one for each of her friends that were in the zodiac and herself. She pulled out the cat and hugged it. She was so caught up in the scent of the stuffed animal, since it smelled like Kyo, that she didn't hear the feet trudging up the stairs or the door open until a gruff voice called out to her.
 
“Hey!!!! Who are you and what the hell are you doing in here?!?!?!?!” the voice shouted. Saya jumped, dropping the doll as she looked up at the figure. She quirked an eyebrow in confusion, and she smiled when she realized who it was.
 
“Well, I'm not surprised you don't recognize me. It's been a long time, after all,” she said with a soft smile.
 
There's the second chapter!!!!! It's taken me a looong time to work on this chapter, because I've had writer's block. I think it's gone for now, so I'll try and work on the next chapter soon. Review. PLEASE!!!!!!!! You know you want to!!!!!! LOL