Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Zodiac Mysteries ❯ surprises ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]
AUTHORS NOTE: Hey there! I'm back to make the next chapter of Zodiac Mysteries. This chapter will be funnier than the last one and a few more characters will be introduced.
Disclaimer: All characters that can be recognized are owned by the author of Fruits Basket, Natsuki Takaya. Other characters are owned by moi.

If Only It Was A Normal Day

"Hurry up Lucy," Katelyn yelled up the stairs where Lucy was getting ready.
"I'm coming, I'm coming,"she yelled back.
Natalie and Katelyn watched as Lucy ran down the stairs to get her shoes on. They were waiting outside. Natalie checked her watch and watched as Tohru left for work. They waved before heading out to the shopping area.
"Let's see...we need to get our uniforms today....oh and we need to get some stuff for dinner," Katelyn said excitedly.
"Yep, don't forget the ingredients for Nat's cookies either,"Lucy replied.
"What do you want for dinner tonight," Natalie asked the other two, not realizing they had stopped until a man with long silver hair was in front of her.
"Would you like to come see my shop? It has dresses for every occasion," he asked, getting in her face.
"N-no! Sorry we don't have the time," Natalie said quickly backing away. He's scaring me.......
She then saw him lurch forward and fall to the ground. Behind him was Yuki holding a bag with two heavy, leather bound books. Lucy and Kate stood there shocked.
"I apologize for his behavior," Yuki said gracefully."I have no control over what my brother does."
"He is your brother," asked Katelyn in amazement.
"Unfortunately, yes. He's worst than my cousin Shigure."
"You are nothing alike, except you both resemble each other in a few ways. Not many though," Lucy said as she checked her watch.
"And for that I am thankful."
"Well we still have a busy day, so we must be going," Kate said after checking her watch.
"Very well. It was nice to get to speak to you again," Yuki replied.
Natalie pushed them past Yuki before they had a chance to ask him anything for the time being.
"Really now, we have to go get our stuff for school and I need to get ingrediants to make dinner-"
"And your cookies!"
"What do you mean Lucy? Don't we still have quite a bit left after the big batch I made before we first got here in Japan?"
"You didn't," Katelyn said in anger.
"You know her cookies are addictive!"
People began to stare at the three american girls as two of them were arguing. Natalie tried to hide her face in embarrassment. After a while Katelyn and Lucy settled down and made plans as to what Natalie was going to make when Tohru and the rest of the Sohma family came over for dinner. Natalie found the store that Hatori had marked on a map. As dependable as he was, he had put down how it was written in japanese and english so that they could find their way easily. Natalie left Katelyn and Lucy in the magazine aisle as she went around getting the groceries.
"Hey Nat, are you done yet? We're ready to go get our school stuff," Lucy said as Katelyn followed behind her.
"Yeah almost finished, but since you're here you can help me carry all the groceries I needed to buy since I have to feed us and our guests Saturday," she retorted mildly as she handed a couple bags to Lucy and Katelyn. They sighed as they each took a bag and headed out the door.
Natalie looked off the map to see where they had to find their uniforms. It turned out that they had to go the school store to get a few of them that was pre-ordered.
"Arigato," said Katelyn as they were handed their uniforms and given their schedules for school.
They all bowed and let the building and headed to the house that they were staying in.
"Oh, me and Kittie have the same classes!"
"Lu, I told you not to call me that in public," Katelyn said with threatening fist.
"Guys, really. We need to get home in one piece so I can host a german dinner."
"Geez, Nat. Chill, we're trying to get you to be social. You were an outcast for a long time before we came along," Lucy replied.
"You're not making me feel any better about myself."
"She telling the truth you know."
Suddenly Natalie froze. Yuki's older brother was heading toward them. He had a big smile on his face and walked elegantly toward them.
"I had no idea that you three were the ones that Akito had mentioned in the school transfer organization. Please forgive me for my behavior earlier. My name is Ayame."
"I forgive you. I'm Natalie, this is Lucy and she is Katelyn. It's a pleasure to meet you."
"Indeed it is. Oh, and I will be coming to the dinner that Shigure mentioned."
All of the girls's faces lost color at this claim.
"Well, we have to go so..........Bye," said Lucy as she nudged Natalie in the side.
Natalie acted quickly and bowed. Then she left along with Lucy and Katelyn.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Saturday

"It's mine," claimed Lucy as she ran around the house, Katelyn close behind her.
"You ate almost all the cookies, I haven't had one yet!"
"Your own fault, you should've gotten to them sooner."
Natalie was cooking schnitzle and a few other recipes that her mother had given to her before she left the U.S. She turned up the music on the radio and tried to drown out their arguing over the last cookie in the jar. She shut off all access to kitchen so that they wouldn't come in and mess up everything that she had already prepared. Dishes from her fresh batch of cucumber salad sat in the sink and the rest of the meal was almost finished. She heard the doorbell ring a few times and thought that Lu or Kate would get it. After a few more knocks she assumed that they were still fighting and walked out of the kitchen.
"I told you already, it's mine!"
Natalie saw they each had each side of the cookie and was pulling. Finally, Lucy's fingers slipped off the cookie and she lost her balance. Natalie was just about to get to the door when Lucy's butt landed on the back of her head and made her smash face-forward onto the hard, wood floor. Lucy quickly got up and pulled Natalie up with her then she went off to the bathroom to get something to stop up Natalie's bleeding nose.
"Sorry to make you wait, we had a few accidents," Katelyn said as she greeted Tohru, Shigure, Yuki, Kyo, Ayame, Hatori and a short blonde boy.
"Hallo! Ooh, das richt guht!"
"You were injured? Allow me to see it Miss Sathe," Hatori said after he had noticed that she had been holding a towel over her nose.
She winced as he prodded it gently.
"Well, I would like to know what had happened, Miss Sathe," said Hatori after he had got up to wash his hands.
"She landed on my head and smashed my face onto the floor."
He immediately looked at Katelyn. Then Katelyn and Natalie pointed at Lucy, who tried to look innocent.
"So She fell on your head. Just try not to rough house too much."
"I'm not the one doing the rough housing, though. I'm just a victim of their cookie fights."
"Dinner's ready," said Lucy as she came out of the kitchen carrying the schniztle. Kate was behind her, carrying all the side dishes. Hatori finished taking a look at Natalie's red and swollen nose and sat in an isolated spot. Momiji took one look and started to pile his plate.
"Wow, this is delicious," he said after he had swallowed one bite. "You made this? It really tastes like authentic german food."
"I agree. It is even worthy of me, Ayame Sohma!"
Natalie stopped eating for a moment and stared at the two. "Uh, thanks I guess," she said in embarassment. For once Shigure was quietly enjoying the food and Tohru was already asking for the recipe from Natalie.
"What is the matter you stupid cat?"
"I'm just asking what that green goop is- wait, I'm not a stupid cat you idiot rat!"
"Green goop? That's called spinach and it took me forever to find some. I slaved in the kitchen all morning to hear you insult my cooking, didn't I?!"
Kyo shut up after what Natalie had just said.
"Now,now Kyo. She never said you had to eat it," Shigure tried to console Kyo. "Besides I think it's delicious."
"Oh, that's because I added garlic butter sauce to give it more flavor just like my mom did."
"Perhaps I can get the recipe. It might do Akito some good," said Hatori.
Yuki's eyes clouded with hate and coldness at the mention of the head of the family. Lucy felt like it was fast becoming a down party so she decided to present the desert. Natalie nodded when she made this gesture and started to pull away the empty dishes and take them from the table. Lucy came out carrying a big german chocolate cake and Natalie followed behind with desert plates and a knife to cut the cake with. After setting it down Natalie served it to the guests.
"Danke!"
"You've really out done yourself! I never had a german chocolate cake with this much flavor," Yuki commented while Kyo argued with Katelyn.
"So you have school coming up soon," Hatori asked the three girls. "What do you plan to do your first day?"
"Well, we plan to get to the bottom on some of the rumors," Katelyn replied. "Especially the ones about the Prince Yuki fanclub girls."
"They had a fanclub for me when I was at school. However, Hatori scared those poor girls away," Ayame added.
"There are very specific reasons as to why I had to."
"Oh Haa-san you are so mean to us," Shigure and Ayame said at the same time.
"I can see why. You two are kind of 'out there'," said Lucy.
"Well school will be in about two weeks. I wonder if you three will be in a class with me, Yuki and Kyo," said Tohru after she had pushed her empty plate away.
"Actually, Nat is will be graduating this year. She's in a grade higher than us," Lucy said as she gathered plates and put them on the counter in the kitchen.
"Really? So she's older than you," replied Ayame. "After she finishes school I can possibly secure a job for her at my dress shop."
"Sorry, my best profession is writing. And I don't do well with dresses."
"Oh well then I can introduce you to-"
"Don't even. You torture that poor woman enough by not delivering your manuscripts on time," glared Yuki," Sometimes I find her on the verge of committing suicide."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~

"It certainly nice to meet you all. Have a nice evening," said Natalie, Lucy and Katelyn all at the same time.
They bowed and watched as all of them managed to fit in Hatori's small car. They could hear Yuki and Kyo already start to fight within minutes and waited till the car left to close the door.
"Man, that was a madhouse with all those Sohmas around," Natalie sighed.
"You can say that again, Nat," Katelyn said as she gathered what left of the dishes and finished washing what was left of them. Natalie and Lucy had already done most of them during the conversations.
"We have school next week. What are we going to do till then," asked Lucy.
"I was thinking of finding a job. One of us is going to have to get one since I don't want the Sohma family to take care of all of the expenses," Natalie cut in.
Lucy and Katelyn quickly pointed at Natalie. Natalie sighed and threw a pillow at them.
"You guys suck, you know that don't you?"
"But we know you love us for that," Katelyn said as she tossed it back.
"I get first dibs on the bath," blurted out Natalie and she rushed to the bathroom and locked the door before the other could get it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~

first morning of school
"Yuki, Kyo and Tohru," called out Lucy as she abandoned the other two to join them.
"The short one has betrayed us," said Natalie.
"We must punish her for it later," replied Katelyn. Then they both burst out laughing as they thought of the best way to get back at her. Natalie told Katelyn about how Ayame Sohma had allowed her to take the job despite the fact that she was still in high school. Her first day was a bit trivial because Ayame couldn't focus on what she needed to know.
As soon as they came to the school Natalie and Katelyn could feel the evil glare from the Prince Yuki fanclub girls. Natalie threw a glare their way that sent them away. For a short time anyway.
"Hey Uo, hey Hana!"
"Oh hey Tohru. So those are the American Exchange students? You didn't have any trouble with them did you," Uotani said as she made a fist.
"Of coarse not. They're really nice."
"They have that same waves as the Sohma's only slightly different."
"Where those girls the Yuki fanclub girls," asked Katelyn pointing to where they used to be.
"Yeah, it seems that they don't like you walking with the Prince," Uo said absently.
"Doesn't matter. If they even try to do anything they'll meet my five friends," threatened Natalie.
"I usually threaten them with a rusty pipe."
"How's their reaction?"
"Sometimes I wished I had a camera for that."
"Well, it seems like Natalie and Uo-chan is getting along already. Yuki, I'll see you later. I'm going to take them to the principal office."
Natalie, Lucy and Katelyn were led by Tohru to the priciple's office and Tohru left shortly afterward to take care of a few things while they were getting situated.
The principal explained a few of the rules and provided them with a map marked with their classes on it.
Natalie had already left for her classes and had left Katelyn and Lucy to fend for themselves.
"Yep. I can feel the evil aura surrounding them."
"I wonder. Do you think they have a club room?"
Katelyn laughed moniacley and heard the Yuki fanclub girls gasp in horror. "You bet. I'll be the lookout today. Tomorrow it's your shift."
"Agreed. I'll inform Natalie after she gets back from work tonight."
Natalie sat in the class. Immediately she recognized the fanclub leader. She had seen her earlier with her little ducklings and had eavesdropped on them a little. So you're the leader of the pack. I'll have you terrorized in no time. Natalie turned and focused on the pompous teacher in front of her and took down notes.
It wasn't until after school was over for the day that Natalie had noticed that the fanclub girls sneaking off. Ooh let's spy on the girls, she thought as she followed them. She saw them sneak into a room that was not used because it was too small for the classes now. It had no window so she couldn't peek into the little gathering. Lucy and Katelyn found her in the hall and approached her.
"Hey N-mmf!"
Natalie pulled them behind a wall and they heard the door open. One of the fangirls looked out and called out false alarm to the rest. Katelyn and the other two smirked evily. They snuck out of the school building and met Tohru out in the courtyard.
"So how was your day," asked Tohru.
"Very productive," replied Katelyn.
"As soon as I get home I gotta get dressed and go to work today," Natalie told the other two so that the knew they had to eat leftovers.
"Okay, we still have some stew left. We can fix that today," Lucy said as she looked at her school schedule.
Katelyn and Tohru began talking about what had happened in today's class.It had turned out that Lucy and Katelyn got the same class as Tohru, Kyo, and Yuki. What problems they had consisted mainly of the fanclub. Natalie looked at her watch and realized she was going to be late unless she ran to the house and got ready. She sprinted past the others and disappeared in a matter of seconds.
"Wow, she's really fast," exclaimed Tohru as she stopped in shock.
"That speed is nothing. You should she her when it's cold and she's late," Lucy told her.
"True. She's alot like a roadrunner."
at Ayame's shop
"Sorry I'm late sir."
"Oh that's alright," Ayame said as his assistant was fitting a wedding dress on him.
"................," Natalie stood in shock and disgust. She couldn't feel anything but horror.
"Here's your uniform," said the assistant. "You can change in the dressing room."
"It's a maid outfit."
"Yep that's the uniform here. Unless you want to wear a frilly, poofy yellow dress."
Natalie blanched. "I think I prefer the maid outfit," she replied to the other outfit suggestion.



A few long hours later.....................
Katelyn and Lucy turned around to see Natalie came in the house. They instantly hid the takeout they had ordered instead of eating the leftovers that she had left before work. She gave them a wry look and trumped off to the bathroom so that she could take a shower.
"I think she already knows."
"We are going to pay later," Lucy said as she finished what she had left.
"I wonder how it feels like working at a shop owned by Ayame Sohma."
"It's terrible."
"Oh Nat, you're already done with your shower? So tell me how your new job was," ordered Katelyn.
Natalie picked up something black, white and frilly. Lucy and Katelyn burst out laughing and couldn't stop.
"Haha-you mean you-Heehee hahaha- actually wore that?!!!!!!!"
Only Katelyn could speak at all. Lucy had rolled through the open patio door and off the patio. She still laughed despite the pain in her chest and head. Natalie grabbed the nearest pair of rolled up socks and stuffed them in Katelyn's mouth. It burst out like a cannon and Katelyn laughed harder.
"You guys are ridiculous!!!"
Natalie left for her room and tossed the outfit into the wash on her way there. She had another shift to go through the next day. After another hour of endless laughing the other two went to bed.
The next morning they discussed their plans of going into the fanclub's room.

It was early in the morning when they got up. For the past few days they were watching when the fanclub left their little club and picked up their usual schedule. At the beginning of their fifth week they decided to go with the plan. That morning they hid a few large empty bags and decided on where to hide them after they got the stuff from the fanclub room.
"I can't wait to see the president's face," Katelyn said as she checked around the corner at lunchtime.
"Well right now they should be outside making sure Tohru doesn't do anything to their 'Prince Yuki'," Lucy scoffed.
"We'll hide the stuff up in the trees until we can get them and take them to the house," Natalie exclaimed.
"Ooh, good idea."
They snuck over to the clubroom and went inside. There they found everything from sculptures to his second grade school drawings. They blanched.
"Good God, this is very disturbing," mumbled Katelyn.
"Soo creepy. How the hell do you think they got this stuff," asked Nat.
"I don't want to know," replied Lucy as she stuffed the items in the bags.
It took them several minutes to get all the things and to heave them up in a tree. They also had to make sure nobody saw them. After the bell sounded they walked as if they did nothing to class. They waited and waited until it was time for lunch. Lucy and Katelyn kept glancing at each other as they waited. Natalie just looked out the window, not really seeing anything at all. Natalie was the last person out of class when the teacher released them. Natalie, Lucy and Katelyn were gathered on the lawn eating lunch when they heard screams. everyone stared at the school building and the other fanclub girls ran like mad into the building. Many of the other students mumbled quietly.
"...those girls are crazy anyway. I heard they made one of the first-years leave."
"Man, I'd hate to be that Yuki guy. I saw him trying to get away from those fanclub chicks."
"I saw the yankee threatening them after they went after her friend."
The club president stomped toward the three exchange students and everyone wondered what was up.
"YOU, YOU DID THIS TO US!"
Natalie looked wide-eyed. "What did I do to you?!"
"You went into-", she shut her mouth. It was supposed to be a secret hiding place and other fangirls might try to steal their stuff. She turned red and left.
"I wonder what that was about," asked Lucy innocently.
"That was very rude of her to do that," retorted Katelyn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~
After school

"Ayame gave me the day off, so let's wait till the fanclub chicks leave and we'll get the stuff," Natalie told them quietly.
"Can we black-mail them with this crap?"
"Katelyn, we really shouldn't do that. They'll know we took it and say we are totally insane for Yuki," Lucy reprimanded.
"And turn it against us," Nat added.
"What's so important about Yuki anyway?"
"Remember when we read about fanclubs? It's true that some girls form clubs for the best-looking guys and are total freaks," Lucy said quietly.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~

At the Sohma House

"Wow, I never thought there was stuff like this at your school, Yuki," Shigure said in awe.
"Eh, Oh my gosh! Is that why those girls were screaming?!"
"Tohru, why are you freaking o-, ha, haha, hahahaha," Kyo began as he came in the house.
"Tohru, what's for din"
"Just thought you might like to see this Yuki," Katelyn said as she showed him a picture one of the third drew of him in a dress.
"ner?"
"Wait let me see that," asked Shigure as he reached for the picture.
"BURN IT ALL I DON'T CARE WHO IT BELONGS TO, JUST BURN IT!"
"Hahahaha. What does it matter? You've been in a dress before!"
Yuki punched Kyo and sent him through the door.
"Looks like they drew you in gothic lolita this time."
"Besides, we can't burn it, we have to take it back or we will have problems as long as we attend this school," Natalie said as she examined a sculpture of Yuki naked.
There was a couple of knocks at the door and Yuki tried to snatch the sculture out of her hand.
"Whoa! Oh no you don't!"
Nat got up and raced to the door to get away from Yuki's grasp. Before she opened the door she spun to keep Yuki from getting the statue from her. The door opened and Hatori stepped in just in time to have Natalie fall onto him.
Lucy got up to try and catch her, however, instead she ended up bumping into Yuki.
"Not again!"
Katelyn covered her eyes in embarrassment and fear. But she didn't hear two poofs as her friends would transform.
"What the hell? I didn't turn into a snake," Natalie asked as she got off of Hatori. Hatori was stunned.
"And I didn't transform into a sheep?"
Yuki and the rest of the present Sohmas were in shock. They were asking themselves if any of the bloodline could have made it out of Japan but they had kept track of the bloodline and there was
no way it could have come from their family, so the only explanation was that there was an american version of the zodiac animals.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~

The Following Day

After they had tossed the stuff back into the fanclub room they went into class. They didn't care if the fanclub girls tried to get them. They had already had a nightfull of surprises finding out that they weren't the only ones who turned into animals if they touched the opposite sex. Kate took to clinging to Kyo whenever his guard was down and she picked on him alot. Lucy and Nat just avoided talking to Yuki for the day. What will happen next? Just wait till I write the next chapter!

Authors Note: sorry it took so long!