Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Our Brothers ❯ Types of Love ( Chapter 22 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Our Brothers
By: joyfulmusic
 
I do not own Fullmetal Alchemist. None of it… Ain't that just so sad?
Warnings: A few small spoilers. There are some thoughts of suicide, and there will be an eating disorder... or two.
 
 
Chapter 22: Types of Love
 
Edward laid me gently on the bed, in the room I had stayed in as a child. I opened my eyes as I felt the softness around me. Looking up into his eyes I saw pure love, but a fear gripped my heart. I put out a hand to his chest, “I want to wait, for marriage.”
 
He gave me a wary grin before kneeling down beside the bed. He took my hand in both of his and kissed it gently. “I had no intention of doing otherwise.” He moved a hand to stroke my face. “I would never do anything like that. I can wait.”
 
I smiled a little and touched his cheek. “What makes you so sure you'll be the one? You never know, we may not make it that far.” My body was tired but I didn't want to let the moment go. I forced myself to stay awake.
 
His eyes sparkled with that knowing look again. He leaned over me and kissed my lips lightly. Then he backed away, letting his hand stroke my hair, his own had come loose, encircling his face like a hallo. It looked simply heavenly in the moonlight that poured in through the open window.
 
“Like I said, I can wait.” He touched my lips with his fingers, tracing them lightly. “We'll go slow and easy. We'll take our time, let Emery and Al get used to the idea.” He grinned again. “Then I'll ask you to marry me. You'll say yes, and we'll raise our children right here.”
 
I cocked an eyebrow at him. “Oh, so that's how it's going to be?” I giggled a little. “You've already decided? I don't even get a chance to turn down the proposal?” My hands traced gently across his masculine chin, making him shiver a little. “Is that how it's going to work?”
 
Ed smiled and took hold of my wrists. He brought my hands up to his lips, kissing each of them. Then he let go of a long drawn out sigh. “You can't turn me down before I've asked you. But you won't when I do.” There was that knowing look again, but this time I didn't mind it at all.
 
My eyes shut, my body trying to force me to rest. I breathed slightly as Edward laid my hands against my stomach. I heard him move as he retrieved a blanket that had been hanging across the footboard. He brought it over me, tucking it in close. His lips pressed against mine before he turned away. But prior to shutting the door I heard him whisper, “Good night my love.”
 
That night the demons showed themselves in my dreams. But always when they would, Edward was there, protecting me with all his might. His love was enough to ward off their cruel words. I was actually able to rest, for the first time in a long while, I got a good night's sleep.
 
 
The next morning when I woke up I felt refreshed. I walked down the stairs to the large kitchen. There Edward stood at the stove, spatula in hand as he flipped a pancake over. The smell made my stomach cringe but when he turned that smile on me it calmed.
 
“Morning Ona, you look like you slept well.” His voice was light and kind. The sun shown through the windows, causing his braided hair to sparkle. It looked like strands of gold flowing from his head. His eyes seemed to be lit with the fire of love I'd felt the night before. He looked simply heavenly.
 
“Where's the boys?” I questioned moving to sit on one of the stools that stood around the island cabinet. On it sat the package of pancake mix, a bowl half full of batter, along with the other ingredients. I folded my arms and rested them against the marble counter top.
 
He looked back over his shoulder with a grin. “They're gone to help Winry. She needed someone to help move stuff around. They'll probably be gone all day.” He turned back to what he was doing before the pancake had a chance to burn. “That means we'll have the house to ourselves.”
 
 
That afternoon we were in the living room just enjoying the time we had alone. I was lying on the floor as he leaned beside me, propped up by one elbow. His eyes were looking down into mine. His smile was that of pure content. I moved my hand up to his face, gently stroking a hair out of his eyes.
 
His voice was soft as he whispered to me, “Maybe I should have it cut. Then it wouldn't get in the way.” I frowned a little at him causing him to lean down closer. “What's wrong? Doesn't it bother you?” His breath was warm against me. “I could've sworn Emery said you didn't like guys with long hair.”
 
I grinned. “I didn't…” Reaching around I pulled the rubber band from its place. Then I unraveled his soft tresses, allowing them to spill over his shoulders, down toward me. “But that was a lifetime ago. Before I met you.” I ran my fingers through his hair, letting it tangle around them. My eyes following my hands. “This is the new me, with a new life.” My eyes returned to meet his. “And I love your hair.”
 
He came down slowly as I pressed my hands against his head. I closed my eyes and lifted my head slightly, our lips coming together in a passionate kiss. As he backed away my eyes opened. He seemed to embody everything I wanted in a man. I saw myself reflected in his eyes. “Good.” He breathed before kissing me again.
 
“Hey! There's children in here you know!” My eyes grew wide as I pushed Edward away. Rising up quickly I could see Emery standing in the doorway. He had a stupid smirk on his face. I could see the laughter in his eyes, though he was working hard to keep it from coming out.
 
Alphonse walked in slowly behind him. “What happened? What's going on?” His face was confused as he glanced between the three of us. I was sitting with a red face while Ed had stood quickly upon being interrupted. Apparently he hadn't seen anything, and I was glad of that.
 
We hadn't been doing anything other than kissing, Emery could see that. But it was still embarrassing having my little brother walk in on us. I stood slowly, trying to regain my composer. I looked at him, “Emery, what are you doing back so soon? Shouldn't you still be helping Winry?”
 
He couldn't hold it any longer, he began laughing hard. Alphonse had to explain. “We finished early. I don't get it… Emery, what happened? What's so funny?” He glanced up at his new brother who still hadn't quit laughing. The teen just shook his and led the boy from the room. Thankfully I knew he wouldn't tell him anything.
 
“Well.” Ed moved to loop an arm around me and watch our brothers go. “This house seems to be smaller than we need.” He grinned at me, thinking of what had happened the first morning he'd spent at my home in the country. “But at least you weren't wearing a towel this time.”
 
I slapped his chest lightly. “That wasn't funny!” But I couldn't help but giggle with him. His arms pulled me close again. I felt so content just to be with him, knowing I had my family with me. Most of all, it meant a lot that Emery hadn't gotten mad. I'd worried about what his reaction would be. But he seemed to be taking it just fine.