Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Our Brothers ❯ My Boys ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Our Brothers
By: joyfulmusic
 
I do not own Fullmetal Alchemist. None of it… Ain't that just so sad?
Warnings: A few small spoilers. There are some thoughts of suicide, and there will be an eating disorder... or two.
 
 
 
Chapter 23: My Boys
 
A week later we were in the downstairs study. Edward closed the door behind him and turned to me with mischief in his eyes. He moved to stand before me where I sat on the desk. My legs were crossed in front of me.
 
I sighed and gave him a short frown. “Did you hear them too?” He looked at me questioningly. “The voices, the ones that whisper in my ears. Did they speak to you, during those seven years? Is that why you know how to ease them?”
 
His eyes were concerned but then looked away, full of shame. “Yes, I'm sure they're the same.” He didn't turn to look back at me. “The ones that say you're not good enough. That tell you you're worthless. They say the worst things sometimes.” I put a hand to his chin, turning it to face me. But his eyes stayed downcast. “They spoke to me that first night too, when you were in the bathroom, and I couldn't help. They came back, I could hear them, like they'd never left.”
 
I leaned forward, resting my head against his. “Do they make you think of suicide too?” He nodded slightly so I backed away. His eyes finally moved to look back into mine. “But we won't listen… Will we? We'll stay strong, help each other. That's the plan, right?”
 
Ed moved his hand to stroke through my hair which hung loosely. His eyes never wavering from mine. “That's the plan.” A smile crossed his lips as he sighed slightly. “We'll make it through. You know, our brothers talk like this.” I gave him a quizzical look so he explained. “They've been helping each other, know how to handle us. Because we've been apart from them so long, and they know what we're feeling. They know they don't fully understand. But they're helping each other to handle it.”
 
I smiled warmly at him. I had worried about the two young brothers. They were years apart in age. It had bothered me about their having to share a room. But apparently they were using each other as a sort of support system. Between them they could talk things through. With me and Edward working together too, the four of us would be able to make this family work. It really would be alright.
 
Edward grinned at me with mischief in his eyes again, realizing the seriousness had passed. He moved for me and I smiled darting off the desk. I giggled as he turned toward me. His smile grew, “Hey, get back here!” He moved toward me.
 
Again I moved, but his automail arm rubbed against my bare skin. “Oh!” I winced at the pain. Looking down I could see where a loose screw had scratched my arm. Ed looked at the mark worriedly, noticing as a small stream of blood began to come forth. It wasn't much, but it was enough to upset him.
 
Edward frowned and took a step back. His eyes were full of regret, realizing that he had hurt me. He didn't look at my eyes but instead kept his gaze where my blood dripped from the open wound. His head shook sadly, “I'm sorry Ona, I shouldn't have…”
 
I moved forward quickly putting a hand over his mouth. “Don't.” I ordered. “Don't you dare listen to them. I don't blame you. It wasn't your fault.” I lowered my hand and he looked pitifully into my eyes. “But if you don't catch me...” I backed away toward the door with a wicked grin. “Then I'll never forgive you.” With that I was out the door and running down the hallway.
 
My laughter rang through the house as I rushed into the kitchen. He rounded the corner within a moment. His smile made the sun seem like a dim flashlight. “I'll get you.” He laughed as I ran toward the back door. Soon he followed me out and caught up with me. We fell to the ground laughing.
 
“What are you two doing?” Al's eyes were wide. He and Emery had been playing basket ball, but had stopped to watch us.
 
“Little help!” I yelped, trying to regain my breath. Edward was on top of me laughing. He'd risen up on his arms, his braid hanging down in my face. “He's trying to kill me!”
 
Al giggled and ran toward us, jumping right in the middle of his brother's back. “You can't hurt sis!” He laughed then turned over his shoulder and called, “Come on Emery, we have to save our sister!”
 
Soon all three of the boys were wrestling. As they rolled across the grass, I stood on the sidelines laughing. Within moments Edward was free and running toward me. Before even had a chance to realize it he had me in his arms, and was running across the yard.
 
Al saw what was happening and took chase. He leapt on his brother's back and held on with all his might. That gave Emery a chance to pull me free of Ed's grasp. He sat me on the ground then took my hand and off we went, running. His eyes shown brighter than they had in years. He laughed as he went.
 
Edward gave chase again but was soon under the two other boys. “I give! You can have her!” He called, laughing through ragged breath. The three split apart and lay on the grass, all breathing heavily. “You two are too much for me.” He breathed, sitting up.
 
I sat down on the grass next to my youngest brother. He smiled up at me. “We did it sis, we saved you.” His body seemed to have become accustom to its new owner. I moved a hand across his forehead, pushing his bangs out of his eyes. “I can still beat him!”
 
Emery looked up toward the boy, “Hey! I did help you know!” He was laughing a little more. Sweat seemed to pour from him. He hadn't been able to have so much fun in the orphanage. It would have been considered fighting. But today he was free of all their strict rules and regulations.
 
“You both saved me.” I said sweetly. “But now look at the three of you.” They turned to access the damage. “You're all dirty, sweaty and hot. What am I supposed to do with any of you?”
 
Edward decided to take on that question. “Love us.” He leaned forward and pulled me into a tight kiss. I pulled away slightly, “Besides, you're not exactly the picture of perfect cleanness at the moment.” He was right, I had blades of grass in my hair, and dirt seemed to cover me. Grass stains were patched across my clothes.
 
“Well.” I told him, as I stood, pulling him up with me. “I suppose I'm not. But since when do I care what I look like? It's not as though I should have to be nice and clean in front of my family.” I gave him a wicked grin which relit the fire in his eyes.
 
He pulled me against him tightly. “Then… are we going to make it official?” I put a finger to my chin and looked up at the sky thoughtfully. He gave me a quick shake to get me to look back at him. “Because that's what the new plan is.” He pulled me into a tight kiss.
 
Al moaned and flopped back on the grass. I could tell he'd turned to look at Emery. He told his new brother, with a great deal of exasperation, “So this is what we saved her for? So that they could start kissing again?” I pulled back in time to see him nod to the child. There was a satisfied smile on the teen's face. Alphonse moaned again.
 
I pulled back from Edward and frowned a little. “You know I will expect a proper proposal though.” There was that knowing look again, why couldn't he quit doing that? He nodded before kissing me once more.