Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Our Brothers ❯ My Strength ( Chapter 24 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Our Brothers
By: joyfulmusic
 
I do not own Fullmetal Alchemist. None of it… Ain't that just so sad?
Warnings: A few small spoilers. There are some thoughts of suicide, and there will be an eating disorder... or two.
 
 
 
Chapter 24: My Strength
 
A month later when I walked into my room after having taken a shower I found Edward sitting on my bed, wearing a shirt and sleeping shorts. He was gazing down at his automail hand. The expression on his face was one of regret. He looked up at me but the look on his face didn't change. It was sorrowful and it broke my heart to see him like that.
 
I took a seat next to him. I'd already gotten dressed in my pajamas. My hair was wet and soaked through the material causing my back to become chilled. He'd taken a bath earlier so his was already dry and hanging in a braid. I rubbed my hand along his back.
 
“What's wrong? Are they back?” He knew I was speaking of the voices. They had filled both our minds for so long. It was as though they were separate from either of us. I felt almost as though mine were the same that whispered in his ear, causing him pain, forcing me to hate them. Even if I didn't hate them for causing me pain, I couldn't allow them to harm the man I loved.
 
“You're arm, it's alright?” He rubbed the scar with his left hand although it was an awkward movement. His eyes didn't meet mine; instead they looked to where I'd been cut. His look was sad and apologetic. It bothered me that he was listening to the demons.
 
I took his automail wrist and pressed his hand against my cheek. I turned to kiss it softly. I wasn't sure how much of a sensation it could feel, but he would be able to see my movements. That was what really mattered.
 
Ed pulled it back from me and held it with his left hand. He pressed it against his chest sadly. “I'm so sorry I hurt you. I shouldn't have done that.” He stopped momentarily as I put a hand to his face. “I'll have Winry see if she can do something about it. Maybe she can change the design… somehow.”
 
I moved to sit before him on the floor. My hand ran along his automail leg, feeling each of the corners. None of them were very sharp. It was a work of art, just as Al's body was. Both had been crafted by the hands of a master artist. “Don't have her change anything about it.” I pleaded, my eyes still looking at his leg. “I love you just the way you are.”
 
He slid off the bed down onto his knees before me. He held my hands in his, looking at them carefully. “I don't want to do anything that would hurt you.” His lips pressed against my hands softly.
 
“Then don't ask her to change it.” He looked up into my eyes questioningly. “She worked hard on this set. And I love it just the way it is. Beside,” I giggled shortly. “I'm accident prone, that's how I found Al. And that's why I'm sitting here with you now.” I leaned forward, kissing his forehead.
 
He sighed a little, letting me know the voices were still whispering in his ears. I pulled my hands from his and placed them on his ears. His eyes showed understanding as he nodded slowly. I pulled him forward into a warm kiss, silencing the demons which had been whispering in both our ears.
 
Ed moved his hand up to pull mine down away from his head. He looked deep in my eyes and gave me a sad smile. “Would you marry me, if I asked you?” My heart faltered momentarily. It seemed as though things were moving too fast for my mind to comprehend.
 
But for my heart, the speed was just fine. I heard myself asking, “That depends, are you asking me right now?” It sounded almost as if I were listing in. It was like my soul was speaking without asking my mind to form the words. It simply developed them sending them directly to the outside world, not giving me a chance to think.
 
He swallowed hard. “Will you marry me Ona?” He didn't seem to be sure of his own voice. I could almost hear his heart beating wildly within his chest. “Will you stand beside me, let me be with you forever?” He paused again. “Can that be the new plan? That we get married and live happily ever after?”
 
Tears fell from the corners of my eyes. My own heart was beating wildly, unable to slow itself down. His eyes shown with a love so deep, so pure, it seemed to fill the room. I nodded slowly, struggling to regain my voice. “I will… marry you.” I hugged his neck hard. “Let that be the plan forever.”
 
 
The next morning we told our brothers as the four of us sat around the breakfast table. Emery had a shocked look in his eyes. I feared things were moving faster than he'd expected. He shook his head, “But… Sis…” He shook his head again in shock. The teen swallowed hard before looking back at me. His eyes changed to happiness. “I didn't think… I was hoping but… I didn't think it would be so soon.”
 
I stood and went to stand behind him. With my arms wrapped around my brother I hugged him tightly. “You don't mind do you? We can put it off if it's too soon.” I didn't want to do anything that would upset him. I'd only just gotten him back.
 
He shook his head quickly and looked up at me. His smile warmed my heart. “Ona, you deserve to be happy.” Then he motioned toward Edward. “If he's the man who can do it, then that's all the better. Because that'll mean we can have a real family again.” He ruffled Alphonse's hair. “And we'll really be brothers.”
 
The child seemed to still be in a state of shock. But he looked up at Emery with a smile. His silver eyes lighting up the whole room. Frowning momentarily he asked, “So does that mean we'll each have our own room? Because I like having to share a room. I get lonely if I'm by myself.” Those seven years of emptiness still weighted heavily on his mind.
 
Emery frowned too. He'd spent two years alone in the orphanage. Sure he'd had to sleep in a long hall with a bunch of boys, but it wasn't the same. Then he gave Al a smirk which meant he'd thought of something. “No, it means that one of the rooms becomes a nursery!”
 
I moved back to stand next to my fiancée, who gave the boy a wary smile. Emery and Al were both grinning widely, suppressing their giggles. “What if I wanted to make it into a library? Did you bother to think of that?” He joked with the boys.
 
The teen shook his head, “That's between you and Ona. But I think sis already knows she wants kids.” He leaned back and looked at Al. “That'll make us uncles. Just think we'll have to help raise all those boys. We can have our own football team!”
 
I gave him a smug look, “Maybe we'll have a house full of girls. Then what will you do?” Ed gripped my waist tightly and kissed my arm.
 
“Wouldn't matter.” My brother told me with a laugh, “The way you fight, girls would be just as good as boys. Right bro?” He looked down to Al who nodded. Then he turned his attention back to me. “But if you do have girls, I'll have to beat up all the boys who come to the door. Only the best for our nieces!” He put an arm on Al's shoulders. “If they can get through the two of us then they'll be worthy!”
 
Edward's eyes grew concerned, “We haven't even had them yet! You can't talk about my girls going on dates! Besides…” He nuzzled me again. “I'll make sure no boy get anywhere near the house.” He stood and kissed my lips.
 
I giggled and pulled back looking around at the guys of my life. “Between the three of you if I do have daughters, they'll never even be able to date. But you wouldn't be able to keep them from guys forever.” I looked back to Ed, “They will have to go to school you know.”
 
“Home school!” Alphonse chimed in, enjoying the scenario game. “We won't let any of them go anywhere without one of us. Me and Emery will teach them everything they need to know.” The child was smiling brightly at his new brother. “We'll be the best uncles ever!”