Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Our Brothers ❯ The Very Best ( Chapter 25 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Our Brothers
By: joyfulmusic
 
I do not own Fullmetal Alchemist. None of it… Ain't that just so sad?
Warnings: A few small spoilers. There are some thoughts of suicide, and there will be an eating disorder... or two.
 
 
 
Chapter 25: The Very Best
 
For the next two months everyone seemed to be making plans for the upcoming event. Lori and Winry would be my bridesmaids. The triplet girls would get to be flower girls. Edward was worried about who to choose as his best man. The Fuhrer would be there, but only requested a front row seat.
 
I sat at the kitchen table with Ed looking over the names of people who wanted to come. Still I could feel that the list wasn't what was causing him to worry. He had his head in his hands, looking down at the list. I rubbed his back gently, a sigh escaping his lips.
 
“Ona.” I looked up to find Emery and Alphonse standing in the doorway, modeling their new tuxes. “Do they look alright?” He was pulling at the collar and giving me a wary look. He hated dressing up, as did the younger boy who was tugging at the bowtie.
 
“You don't have to wear the ties.” I told them smiling. Both gave a sigh of relief and took them off quickly. “You don't mind, do you Edward?” He glanced at me and shook his head. His normally bright eyes were full of worry.
 
“Brother.” Al spoke up, moving forward. “You still haven't made up your mind on a best man, have you?” His eyes looked somewhat hopeful, though I wasn't quite sure why. I assumed he wanted to be picked for the job.
 
Edward sighed heavily. “No Al, I haven't.” His hand squeezed mine as he looked up at Emery. “I still haven't made any definite decisions.” He hung his head again, trying to look like he was concentrating on the paper in front of him.
 
“Well then we have a request.” Ed and I both looked up as Emery cleared his throat. “I know you're worried about hurting mine or Al's feelings. That's why you haven't decided yet, correct?” My fiancée nodded. “Well then, I want to be the best man.”
 
“And I want to be the ring bearer!” Al added cheerfully. “The best man doesn't get to do anything. But I'll get to hold them on the pillow. But…” He looked up at his new brother. “Emery doesn't mind just standing there. So that way everyone's happy. Right brother?” His hopeful eyes looked at Edward.
 
I could hear as he swallowed hard. I saw the tear that was hidden in the corner of his eye. “Yes.” He said, when he was able to. “That would be wonderful.” I felt as the weight was lifted off his shoulders. He stood and moved to hug Al. “It's perfect.”
 
Emery stood by and watched them pleased. Then Ed let go of the child. I watched as my brother reached out a hand for a shake. My heart leaped as Edward accepted it, and then pulled him into a brotherly hug. Emery seemed surprised for a moment, but quickly settled in, grateful for the acceptance.
 
My boys. I thought to myself. My three wonderful boys. My family… A tear began to slowly creep from the corner of my eye. I moved to brush it away quickly as their embrace ended.
 
Then Edward turned to me. He held out a hand so I moved from my seat to stand next to him. He wrapped an arm around me then kissed my cheek. “How about these brothers of ours? Aren't the perfect?” I nodded as he ruffled Al's hair.
 
“Sis, I was wondering…” Alphonse looked up at me with bright and hopeful eyes. “If we could have chocolate chips in the wedding cake?” He grinned slightly. “So it'll be the very best ever.”
 
Emery put a hand on the boy's shoulder then looked at me. “I tried to explain that at a wedding it's typically a white cake. But he thinks it would taste better if we added chocolate chips to it.” His smile was one that told me he remembered adding them to cakes when he was little.
 
I bent down to be eyelevel with the child. “Well… they are supposed to be plain white. But…” I looked up to Edward who was smiling and gave me a little nod. I turned my gaze back toward Al. “This is defiantly the finest family ever, and it's going to be the greatest wedding ever. The best man and ring bearer will be the unsurpassed.” I sighed a little. “I suppose that the cake should have chocolate chips, so that it will be the very best ever.”
 
The child's eyes became brighter than ever. He jumped and put his arms around my neck, squeezing me tightly. “It'll be the very best! You'll see! And everyone will say so when they eat it.” He backed away slightly, his smile matching the sparkle in his eyes.
 
 
“Is the bride and groom that sit atop the cake really that important?” I asked, tired of looking through the photos Lori had brought over from one of the bridal shops. “I mean, it's not really that big of a deal is it?”
 
She gave me a wry look. “It's suppose to symbolize your and Ed's life together Ona. It needs to be perfect.” She turned through a catalog, trying to find one that looked like myself and Edward.
 
I sighed, rolling my eyes and dropping my head to the table. This is getting out of hand. Maybe we should take the boys and elope instead. Then we could come back and have a small party here at the house.
 
“What's wrong honey?” Ed walked through the door into the living room where we sat amidst all of the papers and booklets. He'd been in town checking on some paperwork for the Fuhrer. “What is all this?” He picked up one of the photos to look at it. “Doesn't look much like us.”
 
“That's exactly what I've been trying to tell Ona!” Lori seemed to overestimate his reaction. “This is the one thing that symbolizes the two of you as you begin your new life. It has to be perfect.”
 
I looked up to Ed who had an eyebrow cocked. I watched as he moved one of the multicolored plastic vases to set on the middle of the table. It was one of the many samples which I was supposed to choose from for the flowers to set in. I raised my head with interest as he moved the papers to clear a spot on the table.
 
He gave me a wicked grin as he clapped his hands together. Touching the vase a light flashed and there was a small crackling sound. As the light faded, there on the table sat a topper for our cake. “Oh Edward.” I breathed moving to take a closer look.
It was me in my wedding dress, holding a bouquet. He stood by my side looking perfectly exquisite.
 
“But Ed.” Lori gave an exasperated sigh. “You can't put it on the cake like that.” She closed her eyes shook her head as if the reason should be obvious.
 
“Why not?” He countered, crossing his arms and looking at his work. “I think it looks exactly like us. Isn't that what you wanted? For it to be a perfect representation?”
 
Winry walked in and looked down at the topper he'd just made. “It does look like exactly like you Ed, but…” She pointed to it. “There's only supposed to be two of you on top of the cake.”
 
I smiled, “Well I like it. This is a new life for all of us.” I picked up the replica of us he had made. There were the two of us, in our wedding attire, but there were also two other pieces.
 
Standing in his tux, without the tie was Emery, holding half a heart archway. The other was Alphonse, holding a pillow with two rings in one hand, and holding the other half of the heart archway with the other. When the set stood together, Emery was at my side while Al was at Edward's side. The two of us stood beneath the heart archway. “I love it.” I stood and kissed Ed. “It's our wedding and we decide what we want. This is perfect.”
 
 
A week before the wedding Edward and I sat on the couch. I was in my pajamas, snuggling closely to him. He was wearing a loose tee-shirt and pajama pants. “If we do have girls, I want them to be just like you.” His voice was wishful and soft. “They'll be just as beautiful as you… Only more graceful.”
 
A small giggle escaped me. I sighed deeply. “Yes, much more graceful.” I tuned to look at the way the light shined off his hair. I tugged at the rubber band, letting it fall to the floor. He shook his head a little, causing it to come undone. My hands ran through it, I loved the way it felt between my fingers.
 
“I've been thinking about changing how I wear it.” He pushed close as I moved to lie down on the cushions. “Maybe wearing it in just a ponytail. Then you wouldn't have to take it down all the time.” He smiled at me teasingly.
 
I ran my hand through it again. Then I looked deep into his eyes. But this is the way I like it… flowing, free. “That would look good. But…When it's just us, I like it down.” I pulled him into a passionate kiss which lasted until I needed to breathe again.
 
He pressed his lips against mine once more, harder this time. “Why?” He mumbled, leaving a trail of kisses alone my neck.
 
I gasped a little, feeling my heart racing. He was going too far, we weren't married yet. “Because.” I mumbled pushing him back a little. “It's wild, free. It's… more… intimate. You don't take it down for anyone else, it's like you're doing it, just for me.”
 
I struggled to sit up then moved to hand him the rubber band back. “So leave it up… until our wedding night.” He nodded, knowing we had started to go farter than either of us had planned to. He sat up with a slight sigh, and then started to braid it. I stopped his hands. “Let me.” He turned his back to me and I wove the locks into a tight braid, then I fastened the end.
 
I leaned forward and kissed the skin on his shoulder where it met steel. “Then you can let it down…” I kissed his neck slightly. “Just for me.”