Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ When the Cherry Blossoms Bloom ❯ Behind Closed Ruby Red Doors ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I never claimed to own this, so guess what. I do not!
 
Summary: When faced with Love's difficulty, can three people locked in its hold push aside their fear for the sake of it? Sequel to Feel Me, Shame Me, Heal Me.
 
A/N: Yes I will be keeping with the new government when it gets to that point in the story. And I was sure it wasn't a democracy, but rather the new government gave the power to Parliament which is set up like England, rather than the Dictatorship that the government was before. I hope that answers your questions.
 
 
 
When the Cherry Blossoms Bloom
Episode 2—Behind Closed Ruby Red Doors
 
 
Edward couldn't believe what he was looking at. It really was Hughes, and he was standing there as if he wasn't dead. He even looked happy! The man was still tall, dark hair with a kind golden gaze that always held a hint of humor and mischief, which were still framed by glasses. He was wearing a green shirt and dark slacks. “Aren't you dead?” Edward asked, his eyes narrowed slightly in disbelief.
 
Maes grinned, “As a doornail.” He looked to the teenager beside Edward, “You two look alike.” He said to obviously Alphonse. “I had gotten so used to you as that giant suit of armor that it's pretty wicked to see you looking like a young man.”
 
Feeling a little embarrassed, Alphonse felt his cheeks heat, “thanks, I guess.”
 
Blinking quickly and wanting to rub his eyes but resisting the temptation, Edward took a step forward. “What are you doing here?”
 
“We are your guides.” Maes replied.
 
“We?” Alphonse looked around expecting to see someone else standing here.
 
Maes nodded, “Yes, you see there are others besides me. They all can see and hear us, so they know what to expect when you finally pass all the way through this first level or layer you could say. We were summoned from our restful afterlife to help guide you. But first things first,” Maes gestured to the bright jewel blue sky, “Look there.” He snapped his fingers and a giant picture of Elysia appeared and she was hugging a stuffed bunny and smiling. “Isn't she so beautiful!? Look how big she's gotten.” He gushed, his eyes filling with happiness at how his now nine year old daughter was growing up.
 
For the first time since Edward has known Hughes, he wasn't annoyed with the man's exaggerating behavior when it came to his family. The man was dead and had missed out on so much. “Yeah, she looks great, Hughes.” He smiled lightly, looking up at the gigantic still picture of Elysia smiling down at them.
 
With a deep sigh, Maes continued to smile as he snapped his fingers and the picture of his daughter disappeared. “All right back to task.” He snapped his finger again and a picture of Winry appeared, she was smiling brightly, half her hair was up in a pony tail and the other half framed her face. “This is your heart's worst fear.”
 
“Winry is?!” Both Alphonse and Edward shouted at the same time and they both gave Hughes a shocked look. Out of everything they've been through Winry was Edward's heart's worst fear?
 
Maes grinned, “Yes indeed. Unfortunately this was the last time I saw her, so my memory of her is back when she was sixteen and visited my grave. So that mental image is the one I am showing you.” He then put his finger to his chin, “Knowing you though, Edward, I figured your heart's worst fear would be something…I don't know more terrifying.”
 
“Girls can be terrifying.” Alphonse offered, “Have you ever seen Winry angry? She swings that wrench around practically knocking our brains from our heads. And boy can she get a potty mouth on her that would rival sailors'.”
 
“I don't think that's what he meant, Al.” Edward said with a sigh, he stared up at the large image of Winry and his eyes narrowed in concentration. He could see how she would be his heart's worst fear; it actually made a lot of sense. Chloe was right, the emotions and struggle he felt concerning Winry was not in his control, so yes that was something very frightening. He was one that was used to having control over the things even when fighting for his life; he was in control of his body and determination. One thing he did not have control over was his heart and how it made him feel.
 
Crossing his arms over his chest, Maes watched Edward's expressions. He had better warn him. “Edward, there is something that perhaps I should tell you before we move inside the first layer of your heart's fear. Just so you can prepare yourself.” He took a deep breath. “When Winry was living in Central City years ago, she and Roy—”
 
“—It's a lie.” Edward interrupted darkly, turning a deep, bitter scowl to Hughes. “There's no way, it's not possible that she and Mustang were…closer. It's all lies; those visions in the crystal ball were lies.”
 
His dark brow arched and Maes couldn't help the smirk that curved against his lips. “It's not a lie. It's true.” He tried to be careful and ease Edward into this information, but the way he was acting was a little humorous. The young man was determined not to believe it.
 
“No it's not.” Edward said shaking his head, closing his eyes and taking a deep breath. “Lies, all lies.” He did not want to believe it; it had to have been tricks. There was just no way that it was true.
 
Alphonse put his hand against the side of his mouth and leaned closer to Hughes, “Don't mind Brother, he's in denial.” He said with an easy tone.
 
Edward cleared his throat, “No I'm not. It didn't happen.” He folded his arms over his chest and looked up towards the crystal bricks in the pathway
 
Taking a step closer to Edward, Maes leaned forward a little trying to catch his eye. “I saw it myself, Edward.” He waited as Edward lifted his head, looking upwards, still avoiding eye contact. “I actually caught them going at it or it was post coital, whatever it was. I was witness to something.” He saw the young man stiffen and shake his head wildly from side to side that his thick blonde braid moved back and forth with his force. Maes really didn't want to have to resort to this, “I'll show you proof.” He quickly snapped his fingers and in the direction Edward was looking - Roy was breathing hard, his face nestled in the crook of her neck while her arms and legs were wrapped tightly around him. He lifted up a little; looking into her beautiful eyes where he smiled lightly, Winry only tightened her hold about him, squeezing him in her warm afterglow. She was so lovely and he was going to tell her that. The sound of his office door barely registered in his mind, but the mortified and very male sounding, “Oh my God!” Certainly did and Roy's head snapped sharply as Winry at the same time tilted hers back.
 
“AHH!!” Edward had snapped his eyes closed tightly while at the same time covering them with his hands. “What the hell's the matter with you?! Do you want me to go blind!?” He grunted. That was completely revolting and it would be forever seared into his mind.
 
“Do you need more proof?” Maes asked. “Because I have more.”
 
“Nonono,” Edward's reply was fast as were his wild hand movements up in front of his face. “That's quite enough of that!”
 
Maes snapped his fingers and the images disappeared. “Look, Edward, it's not going to be easy, but this is what you have to face. I'll be in there with you as the support and guide you need to help you along. It's easier to face a fear when you have friends by your side.”
 
“That sounds like something Winry would say.” Edward replied still staring downwards.
 
“That's because it's a true phrase,” Maes replied kindly. “So, are you ready?”
 
With a deep sigh and a shrug of his shoulders, Edward let out a puff of air. “As ready as I'll ever be.” He really did not want to face this. It was the one thing that had him worried. “Well, let's get this over with.” He said in irritation while he turned and faced the doors as did Alphonse and Hughes.
 
The doors, Edward noticed, were made of thick ruby with handles of white marble. The doors started to part where both Edward and Alphonse took a deep breath before walking through them with Hughes.
 
The ruby doors closed and disappeared.
 
It was bright. Edward blinked, trying to get used to the brightness and finally he could see clearly as the brightness faded to reveal where they were. He looked around at where he was and heard two women talking and recognized the voices of Winry and Hawkeye, the sounds of train wheels turning on a track. Hawkeye was sitting across from Winry and in the process of checking her weapon out and making sure it was in working order as Winry was asking her questions.
 
“Winry,” Alphonse said and noticed she didn't respond to him. He went over to her and waved his hand in front of her face, but she just continued her conversation while ignoring him. He noticed that she looked a little unhappy.
 
Maes put his hand on Alphonse's shoulder, “No one can hear or see you Alphonse, none of these figures can. This stuff has already happened, you two weren't here for it.”
 
Crossing his arms over his chest, Edward walked forward. Hesitantly, he dropped his arms and reached out to touch her hair, but found his fingers to pass right through her and he sighed. “We can't touch them either, I take it.”
 
“Right you are, Ed.” Maes grinned.
 
Edward returned to paying attention to what Winry was saying.
 
“…worth protecting?” Winry tilted her head slightly and was watching Riza carefully; she supposed the woman actually wanted to be her friend since she said she could call her by first name. It was always a little tense between the two of them.
 
Edward saw Hawkeye's mouth open but heard not a word she said, and he sat down on the bench next to Winry and saw her glance down. It was probably a good idea to hear both of what they had to say and not just Winry, because this one sided conversation was starting to annoy him.
 
“Don't you still feel that he is?” Riza asked with a slight smile, `you told me yourself to protect him, and I have been.'
 
“Of course, I mean, how could I not?” Winry sighed and leaned back in her seat, resting her head back. “What happens when he no longer needs you?”
 
Riza stood up and sat down next to Winry, which it seemed like she had sat in Edward's lap as she just passed right through him.
 
Edward had jumped up and launched himself to the other bench across from them. That felt weird! He leaned forward looking between Hawkeye and Winry.
 
“This isn't about Colonel Mustang, is it?” Riza asked carefully and saw the young woman shake her head and drop her chin to her chest and sigh deeply.
 
“It's Ed and Al.” Winry admitted, “Ed was mad at me again, but then it seems like he's always mad at me, always yelling at me and stuff. I try to make him think it doesn't bother me by giving it right back to him.” She sighed and felt a wave of sadness rush through her. “He said he didn't want me there. I swear that if it wasn't for what Al said… I was sure Ed hated me.”
 
Edward's eyes widened. “No! That…Winry, I don't hate you. I just didn't want you to see me like that! I was hurting people!” He said to her, wishing that she could actually hear him.
 
Winry looked at Riza, “Al explained to me that they might have to do terrible things like take lives. I don't want to be around stuff like that, and yet, I wanted to stay with them. But it seems they don't need me anymore.”
 
“I don't think that's true.” Riza had a soft expression in her eyes, “You know them better than anyone. Doing what is necessary in front of the people they love might hinder the outcome. Isn't that why you really left Central, because you knew that if the Colonel had to do something that was absolutely necessary that he wouldn't be able to do it in front of you?”
 
Winry nodded, “He needed to concentrate.” She suddenly smiled, “That had to be the way Ed and Al felt too and why I couldn't stay with them.”
 
“Those boys will always need you.” Riza said kindly. “Now the Colonel might not always need me, and that's all right. I will be there as long as I can for him; I will keep him as safe as possible, even if what he is trying to do is a bit reckless. But I will help in any way that I can. Just as I am sure you would do the same for him and the same for Edward and Alphonse.”
 
Feeling her cheeks heat, Winry folded her hands in her lap. “How is he?” Her eyes shifted to the left for a moment.
 
“The Colonel?” Riza asked, and saw the girl nod. “He's really focused. Not much distracts him these days, except for maybe an occasional woman, but then he's never with the woman longer than his usual and he's back bright and early the next day at Headquarters.” She leaned back against the seat cushion.
 
Winry giggled lightly, “That's so typical of him. That pain in the ass.”
 
“You're not upset?” Riza asked a little confused at the lightheartedness of Winry's expression and attitude.
 
Turning a kind expression to Riza, Winry continued to smile. “No, I'm not upset at all.” She saw the disbelief on Riza's face and it made Winry laugh a little more. “I know it seems strange to you that I'm not upset, it's just I understand him. Sure, he likes girls, but having gotten to know him like I had… his mind is always so troubled that he needs to feel something other than grief, guilt and pain. And that is really the only way he can. It's better than going numb and self destructing in the form of hard liquor and playing with firearms at the same time. So this is okay, it's not like he's developing some kind of meaningful relationship, it is just for a little while in the warm body of some woman that he won't remember her name the next day.”
 
“You're a lot more understanding then I ever gave you credit for, Miss Rockbell.” Riza said with a sigh.
 
With a smile that would shame the stars in the sky, Winry turned that very expression to Riza, “You can call me Winry. Also, you don't have to tell him that I'll be in Central. I'm not going to be staying that long, just kind of a stop over to visit with the Hughes's for a day or two before I head home.”
 
Riza didn't answer, she just hid a smirk. `If I didn't tell him I knew you were in town he would get pissy when and if he found out. So I'm not going to keep it from him.' “Winry, I think he'd want to see you.”
 
Winry felt her heart race, “He's probably already moved on.” It was best not to get one's hopes up. He was an important man, always busy and never alone. Lots of women to pass in and out of his life, she doubted she made any kind of impact on him at all. “Which is what's for the best.”
 
Wanting to grab the young blonde girl and shake her, Riza felt her hand twitch. `He loves you! He has not moved on.' But she restrained herself from such an action. “Wait, did you say you were going to visit the Hughes's?”
 
“Yeah, why?”
 
Letting her head drop a moment before she gathered her thoughts, Riza felt the air grow tense and she glanced up at Winry's suddenly worried expression. “Winry, there's something that you should know, about…” Before she even got to it, she saw Winry's face pale. “I know you are close friends with Maes, and I'm sorry to be the one to tell you, but he's gone.”
 
Winry looked away from the intensity in Riza's mahogany gaze, “gone…gone where? On vacation?” her tone elevated and was laced with forced sweetness. She knew that's not what Riza meant, and she felt her throat coat in sorrow as her eyes were filling with tears.
 
“No, Winry. He was killed.” Riza saw crystalline tears escape Winry's blue eyes and slide down her cheeks and she immediately covered the younger girl's hands with her own. “It was a big shock to everyone, especially the Colonel who was in fact on his way to Central at the time. When we got here...” She watched as Winry closed her eyes and more tears leaked out.
 
“Mr. Hughes is dead…I…I can't believe it.” Winry stared at her lap, drops of wetness landing on her thighs. Out of everything that he has done for her, been there for her when she needed a friendly ear and he even helped save her life. She suddenly straightened her posture and sucked in a deep breath, willing her tears to stop. What will Ed think of this news, how is Mr. Hughes's family handling this…and poor Roy, his life long friend was killed, her heart was breaking for him as he lost someone he loved, someone he trusted… “How did it happen?”
 
“He found out something that he shouldn't have and was silenced permanently on purpose.” Riza said staring out the window. “I promised myself right after the funeral that I would do everything in my power to help Mustang achieve his ultimate success, no matter the cost. If Maes could do it, knowing how dangerous it was, then so could I.” Her eyes narrowed slightly, “I had never seen Mustang cry before, it was the first time he let any emotion show besides arrogance, conceit and sarcasm. It was one of the times when I stood there watching him that I wished you were there with us, you often provided him a comfort that no one else could.”
 
“I'm sure whatever you said or did was enough.” Winry took another deep breath trying her hardest not to let her tears flow. “It's not hard to be a friend when he needs it most.”
 
Riza nodded, “I tried to think of something similar to what you would say as I remembered the conversation you and I had after the Walker incident in Mustang's flat.”
 
Edward growled, he hated hearing this. It was driving him insane, he started trying to tune out what they were talking about when it was positive about Mustang, that dirty bastard, how dare the man use depression tactics to sway poor Winry into thinking him some kind of needy fellow. There was no way the man was like that, for all the time Edward has known him, he was always such a smart ass and very proud of himself. And what about the fact that he killed her parents? Shouldn't she be angry about that and hate the man.
 
Maes felt bad, he never meant to make Winry upset. She was such a good young lady that it hurt him how she found out about his death this way. “I'm sorry.” He said to Winry's profile.
 
“What are you sorry for?” Alphonse asked Hughes sitting down on the bench next to his brother.
 
“Death is never easy for the ones that are left in the land of the living.” Maes said with a half smile. “It's always harder for them to move on. I've hurt my friends this way, even if I had no control over it. I still feel terrible. Poor Winry, I cared about her like she was my own daughter. She and I became good friends while she lived in Central for those months. And Roy, man he is hurt from it. He and I have been friends since we were little.”
 
“Envy was a right shit.” Edward said, frowning. “He got what he deserved, but I still felt a bit sorry for him.”
 
“Then you haven't truly lost your heart or soul, feeling sorry even for your enemies, to understand them makes you that much stronger and better than them.” Maes said with a confident expression.
 
Edward shrugged, “If you say so.” He looked away and towards the window. This really wasn't so bad. If this was the extent of his heart's worst fear then this could be easily breezed through. Sure, hearing Winry talking about Mustang like this is making him uncomfortable, but since this was it. He could surely face this with no problems.
 
It was very bright again, Edward and Alphonse had to cover their eyes with their hands.
 
“What's going on?” Edward complained roughly.
 
Maes laughed, “I think we're changing locations, it'll happen suddenly at times, or when you think you're having some kind of revelation. Remember, this is your own heart finding the pieces in time that you would fear the most.”
 
Edward and Alphonse lowered their hands from their face as it was no longer bright. It appeared they were standing in the office floor of Military Headquarters.
 
“Ah, HQ, it hasn't changed at all.” Maes said with a grin. “Except for maybe Roy there being not in his own office like he had before, looks like he's gotta share with the rest of the class.” He snickered while glancing at Falman, Breda, Fuery and Hawkeye.
 
Groaning, Edward wondered why they were standing in here. He noticed Hawkeye was looking out the window behind Mustang, who sat in his chair looking board but reading a newspaper.
 
Riza turned part way around, “What's eating Lieutenant Havoc?”
 
“He probably got dumped again.” Roy said calmly, still glancing at the article.
 
Turning all the way around, Riza looked at all of her fellow officers, but mostly staring at the back of Mustang's head in annoyance. “It's hard balancing this job and a relationship. You have no time, and good luck meeting someone worth while here.” She took a quick glance in Kain Fuery's direction, who did not meet her gaze but looked just slightly to the left.
 
Roy did not even look up from his paper, “Please, a man should be able to handle his job and his women. I do.” He heard some mumbling from Breda but ignore it, as he thought about what he said, something started to nag at him concerning Havoc. “Hey, wait. Grief affects his performance which affects me. Hey, one of you guys find a girl for Havoc.”
 
“But I'm a highly trained office.” Kain nearly shouted in panic.
 
“I can't find one for me!” Vato's voice was panicked.
 
Breda just looked annoyed, “Just toss him one of yours, Colonel.” He said sounded irritated.
 
Roy blinked, then his eyes narrowed, “What's that?”
 
The military men all replied with a nothing…and grumbled.
 
Feeling a little annoyed, Roy still did not remove his dark gaze from what he was doing, “I don't guess any of you know what he's looking for in a woman, do you?”
 
Vato recalled something, “Well, while we were drinking he mentioned wanting a cute, smart, funny girl that wasn't likely to cheat on him.”
 
Roy once again looked at his paper, appearing very disinterested, “Right, Falman scour the city for a cute, smart, funny girl and introduce her to Havoc.”
 
With his jaw dropping, Vato couldn't believe what he was hearing, it was like an impossible mission. “You want me to what?!”
 
Again with the bored tone, Roy never took his focus off his newspaper. “You heard me. That's your new mission.”
 
Mentally complaining, Vato left the office in search of this so-called, cute, smart, funny girl. What a disaster this was going to be.
 
Clearing her throat, Riza folded her hands behind her back. “Speaking of handling your women, Sir,” even though he appeared not to be listening to her, Riza knew that he would hear every single word. “I think I should inform you that a certain someone is back in Central for a little bit.”
 
“And just who do you mean?” Roy asked.
 
Riza watched him carefully, “Winry Rockbell…” She saw the paper crinkle under his now tightened grip and she hid her smirk, “…is back here for a few days. She rode back with me on the train. She said she was going to visit with the Hughes's before she headed home.”
 
Winry was back for a few days? Was this true? Roy felt his heart swell and he let out an unnoticeable breath. He realized what he was doing with his hands in crushing his poor newspaper. He loosened his grip and snapped his paper out, seeming to be more interested in it. “And this is supposed to mean what exactly?”
 
“She knows about Maes' passing. I had to tell her before she got there and received quite the shock.”
 
Roy grunted his approval of that situation. “I see. Not that it matters that she is in town of course.” His gaze shifted to the desk top. The feeling to suddenly bolt up from his chair and rush to wherever she was, was invading his nerves. But no, no, he couldn't do that. He hasn't succeeded yet, he wasn't worthy of her yet… still would it hurt to see her… just once?”
 
“She'll be at Gracia's until Wednesday.” Riza said calmly, looking towards him.
 
“For what reason are you telling me that?” Roy appeared to be uninterested and he could feel Hawkeye's firm gaze burning holes in his back.
 
With a slight shrug of her shoulders, Riza walked away from the window. “No reason at all, it was just a fact. I thought maybe that she could be the cute, smart, funny girl for Havoc and he could…” She heard Mustang's low growl and it inwardly made her laugh. “In fact I think he's always liked her. She's what sixteen now? She might just be the one he's looking for.” She looked over at Kain and saw him trying to stifle his laughter, but his shoulders shaking was giving him away as he nodded. They all failed to notice how extremely irritated and furious their commanding officer was getting at this continued suggestion of Havoc and Winry.
 
Until he couldn't take it a moment longer!
 
“Absolutely not!” Roy shouted, standing sharply that his chair knocked back. He watched with narrowed eyes as everyone turned and looked at him.
 
“I don't think she was serious, Sir.” Kain said, feeling completely intimidated by the dark aura the Colonel was giving off.
 
Roy took a deep breath and grabbed his chair bringing it back, and reclaimed his seat pulling him into his desk. “Better not have been,” He grunted in irritation. “In fact, just to make sure none of try something as stupid as setting Winry up with Havoc, I should go and see her myself to inform her of your idiotic plot of setting her up with him.”
 
Edward wanted to punch that stupid face of Mustang's. How dare he want to even go and see her. He felt ill to his stomach that it was almost painful. “You stay away from her, do ya hear me!?” He threatened while shaking his fist at the man who couldn't see or hear him.
 
“Brother, don't you recall what Hughes here said? This has already happened.” Alphonse tried to reason with his brother, and then he looked at Hughes who simply shrugged as if he were innocent.
 
“Shut up! I don't want to hear that, Al!” Edward stomped while pacing.
 
Crossing her arms over her breasts, Riza walked closer to Kain and looked back at the Colonel. “Anyway, you can't go and see her. She told me not to tell you she was even in town as she wasn't going to be staying long.”
 
`She didn't want to me to know?' Roy felt slightly irritated by that, `how could she not want to see me?!' He stared harshly at his desktop and did not notice when his subordinates left the office. Leaning back in his chair, he rested his elbow on the armrest while placing his finger against his chin while he thought about it. `I will see her anyway, but perhaps not today. If I went over there right now she'll know Hawkeye told me she was in town. Better let it rest until tomorrow.' Yes that was a good plan, that way he could perhaps come up with some kind of plausible excuse as to why he knew she was here.
 
Roy opened the top left side drawer and pulled out a sheet of paper and placed it on the desk. Reaching over, he picked up a pen and wrote three words and signed his name. He smiled lightly at it. Blowing on the wet ink so it wouldn't smear, he placed the pen back down on the desk while at the same time picking up the paper and tearing off the small piece where his note was. He folded that in half and put it in his pant's pocket.
 
“Tomorrow, I will see her sometime tomorrow.” Roy said with confidence, twirling around in his chair to glance out the window. It's been long, long months since he's even seen her and he knew she had a birthday. She was already sixteen. He wondered if she changed at all, or was she just the same as she ever was? He leaned his cheek on his hand, resting his elbow on the armrest in soft contentment of the fact that she was close by. Yes, indeed, he would find out tomorrow.
 
=====
What did you think of Episode two. Haha yes I took scenes from FMA eps and hopefully I made my added scene flow nicely with it. I hope it feels like it very well could have been part of the show, but ended up cut out heh, heh. Let me know if it doesn't flow well. All right? If you think Ed is uncomfortable now, just wait till you see episode/chapter 3 `snickers'
 
Thanks for reading,
Ryoko Blue