Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ When the Cherry Blossoms Bloom ❯ Yellow Flowers ( Chapter 3 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I never claimed to own this, so guess what. I do not!
 
Summary: When faced with Love's difficulty, can three people locked in its hold push aside their fear for the sake of it? Sequel to Feel Me, Shame Me, Heal Me.
 
 
When the Cherry Blossoms Bloom
Episode 3—Yellow Flowers
 
Edward was getting really fed up with the brightness every time there was a new scene for him to watch play out, and this time they were still stuck in Headquarters. He continued pacing again. “Al, why aren't you a little more upset with what has obviously gone on behind our backs?!” His voice was very hostile and dripping with betrayal.
 
With a deep sigh, Alphonse leaned against one of the desks, “I've had a bit more time to warm up to the idea than you have. And maybe there's a reason she kept all this from us, why don't you ask her when we get home?”
 
“You can count on it.” Edward said, tightening his fists at his sides, “I'll make that damn Winry tell me what the hell she was doing.”
 
Alphonse appeared to be thinking. “Even I can tell you that! She's been fulfilling her womanly needs through wild passionate sex with—” He heard his brother's loud growling and immediately shut his mouth, giving off a sheepish grin. “Oh, sorry, I was just stating the obvious for you.”
 
“Well don't!” Edward snarled and it made him feel even angrier when he heard Hughes laughing hard. “What's so funny?”
 
“You boys crack me up.” Maes was practically rolling in laughter. “Can't you see your brother is just taunting you, Edward? It's so easy to get a rise out of you.” He nudged Alphonse whose sheepish grin actually turned slightly mischievous.
 
Crossing his arms over his chest, Alphonse lifted his head proudly. “That was pay back for when you grabbed my ear earlier. I'm not the little guy I once was, Ed. You can't just boss me around and not expect me to get you back.”
 
Edward felt his face flame and tightly crossed his own arms over his chest, looking away from them, “Stupid Al.” He mumbled quietly in embarrassment. He just wanted to be away from those two who were now laughing at him. Alphonse started in on the laughter along with Hughes. Edward stomped over to the scene playing out before him, and now that he thought about it, he'd rather be laughed at than go through this! But it was too late.
 
Breda was staring in disbelief at Falman as if his friends and co-workers. “Are you serious?”
 
“As a heart attack,” Vato said calmly, even though what he and Kain saw on their way home from dinner last night was very frightening indeed.
 
Kain stepped forward looking very worried, “Those rumors aren't just rumors. They're true.”
 
Feeling a sudden sense of dread, Breda shivered, “Why are you telling me this!? I'm not going to be able to walk home tonight!”
 
“Something happen to you boys?” Riza asked them, wondering just what had them all worried like this. Especially Kain, he seemed frazzled. He really wasn't as innocent as he let on. Sure, he was always a nice young man, but he sure did have his moments of delightful wickedness. Kain was often overlooked because he never made a scene or ever thought about just himself. He was the least selfish person Riza had ever come to know.
 
Roy, who had been thinking of something…or rather someone a bit more important with long blonde hair, sparkling blue eyes and pale skin that never failed to heat to a lovely rosy hue beneath his touch, yes he'd rather still be thinking of her than these fools. Roy gave Hawkeye her answer. “They claim to have seen the fabled warehouse thirteen. Idiots.”
 
“There's nothing idiotic about it!” Breda interjected.
 
Rolling his eyes, Roy did not bother listening to them going on and on exaggeratingly about zombies and ghosts of dead soldiers, while Hawkeye just stood in the group blank faced. Roy had enough and leaned on his hand that was propped up by his elbow on the desk. “Did you ever stop to think that it's because you live in this state of fear that you imagined seeing these things. Your minds are playing tricks on you.”
 
Kain turned to the Colonel. “Does anything scare you, Sir?”
 
“Of course not,” Roy said firmly. “I'm a trained alchemist. We look at things in a rational manner and there's nothing rational about ghost stories.”
 
Stepping forward in fear, Kain felt his chest tighten at the idea of ghosts. “But we saw it with our own eyes, and we aren't the only ones. I've heard stories all over Headquarters.”
 
If Roy wasn't irritated before, he certainly was even more so now and pressed his fingers to his forehead, “What is this, a children's slumber party?” You superstitious nitwits need someone to give you a reality check, and it might as well be me.” He pointed at himself with his thumb.
 
“Wow, really, Boss?” Breda looked excited and happy, “Didya hear that guys? The Colonel is gonna help us with our midnight stake out.” He did not notice the Colonel's less than pleased expression; in fact the man's eye was twitching.
 
“He's a noble leader, always looking out for his men.” Vato praised, impressed.
 
Sighing and feeling a bit more at ease, Kain was elated. “What a relief. If the Colonel is with us, there's no way we'll be impaled.”
 
“Wait a minute! What stake out?!” Roy said feeling his temper spark as he stood. These fools were volunteering him for something completely ridiculous when he'd rather be with— His thoughts were cut off when Breda started spewing nonsense again.
 
“Our mission is to prove warehouse thirteen is real.” Breda replied sounding a bit braver now.
 
Roy was slowly growling, and having no doubt that his eye was twitching faster in anger and frustration.
 
“And you said you were going to give us a reality check.” Falman reminded plainly.
 
“Well yeah, that's what I said but…” Roy was again cut off as Fuery ran right up to his desk, the man's eyes full of fear and while clutching his hands together.
 
“But I have to go by there every night on my way home and its eating away at my insides. Please!” Kain begged as if he was begging for his life.
 
Irritation and anger raced through Roy's every nerve as he stood there lightly growling. He did not want to waste his night with these ding-dongs!
 
“Please, Colonel. Help me!” Kain whined loudly and high pitched, really worried.
 
Another burst of bright light nearly blinded Edward and Alphonse as they felt the location changing around them. Edward couldn't help but be a little pleased that Mustang was going to suffer and waste his night. The idea of it made him snicker.
 
“Serves him right,” Edward chuckled as the world around him came into focus. They found themselves at a house. It was Hughes's house. He saw Mustang at the door getting ready to knock on it but hesitating a little. “Hey, this is your house, Hughes.”
 
Maes was just staring up at the familiar bricks and concrete, the door that he just had repainted before his unfortunate end. His family was in there, his wonderful daughter and his lovely wife. How he missed them so. He felt his heart fill with grief. “I am so sorry I can't be here with you two.” He said to the door, wishing his wife and child could hear him.
 
Edward, Alphonse and Hughes approached the door as Roy stood there as if he was contemplating about knocking. The dark haired man rapped his knuckles against the solid wood. The door opened and there stood Gracia.
 
Stepping forward a little, Maes looked at his beautiful wife, wanting to take her in his arms and pull her close and never let her go. His little girl, Elysia was clinging to his wife's leg, she had gotten so big. He felt a hand on his shoulder and he looked to the right finding Edward there, it was him providing some amount of comfort. “Ah, Ed, look at me, here I am supposed to be helping you out and—”
 
“No worries, Hughes.” Edward patted his shoulder and squeezed it affectionately before dropping his hand from the man.
 
Gracia looked surprised, only she wasn't really that surprised at the man stopping by. She had a feeling it was only a matter of time knowing that Lieutenant Hawkeye was not about to keep something as important as this from him, “Oh, Colonel Mustang. What a surprise.” She smiled.
 
Roy felt funny and guilty standing here at Maes' house. He had felt it was his fault that Maes ended up dead. If the man hadn't been investigating deeply at what Roy asked him for, then he might still be alive today. It had been awhile since he paid a visit to the man's wife and child. It was difficult to set foot in this place, but Winry was here and he wanted to see her so badly. “I'm sorry for dropping by unannounced. I was just in the neighborhood.” He couldn't think of anything else to say, so much for his superior mind! `damn-it.' He was just looking forward to seeing Winry here, even if it was for a little bit.
 
“Nonsense,” Gracia continued to smile. “I appreciate you taking the time.” She felt her daughter pull on her pant leg and she looked down at her. “Elysia, you remember Colonel Mustang, say hello.”
 
Roy smiled and leaned forward a little, “Hiya, Kiddo, you've grown.” He said kindly and with affection.
 
Elysia squeaked, her cheeks heating as she hid herself behind her mother's leg.
 
Laughing lightly, Gracia lifted her head, glancing up at Roy. “I'm sorry, she's a little shy. Please come in.”
 
Feeling someone watching him from above, Roy lifted his head and lightly gasped. Leaning out the window was Winry. She was staring down at him in uncertainty and grief. He felt his heart tighten at the sight of her standing there. `God, she looks beautiful. Has her hair grown some?' Roy saw her tear away from the window, her loud rapid footsteps, and he then remembered that she really didn't want to see him. And as disappointing as that was… he did get what he came for, he got to see her. He sighed and dropped his gaze to Gracia, “I better not. I have tons of paperwork. I'll be seeing you.” He saluted, and then dropped his hand to his side.
 
He rubbed his right side pocket before slipping his hand into it. Roy pulled out his folded in half note. “Could you do me a favor and see that Miss Rockbell gets this?” He held the note out for Gracia to take.
 
“Oh certainly,” Gracia said with a smile, letting her fingers curl around the small folded piece of paper. She quickly glanced over her shoulder scanning the area quickly before taking a few steps closer to Roy and lowered her voice to that of a slight whisper. “Winry is going to be visiting my husband's grave around three this afternoon after a brief stop to the flower shop for some flowers.”
 
Roy's right brow arched. “Three this afternoon, you say?”
 
“She really does want to see you even if she denied it to me. I could tell she was hiding the truth.” Gracia replied. She knew how much the two of them cared for one another. Maes had talked about it and Gracia even confronted Roy on the issue after Winry had left town a long while ago. So if she could help push them in the right direction, she would do it.
 
“Thanks for the information.” Roy said hiding his grin. Maybe he'd really get to see her today after all.
 
Edward's eyes narrowed as he stepped inside the house. He saw Winry at the bottom of the staircase, staring downward trying to listen to what the two were saying at the door.
 
While she had been up in the guest room, Winry had thought she heard Roy's voice and being completely drawn to that deep tone, like rich melted chocolate, she looked out the window. Sure enough, he was there and she had felt her heart race at the sight of him. She had leaned on the windowsill, staring at him seeing that he was still amazing to look at. She had been wondering how he was doing. The feeling of grief finding its way through her and was visible on her face as she thought about how alone Roy must have felt with Mr. Hughes's passing. Her heart ached for him as it did for herself at the loss of the kind and noble man that Mr. Hughes was. When Roy looked up at her, she felt her heart slam powerfully against her breast and heat ripple. Would it be dangerous to see him, to want him to hold her?
 
She couldn't take it anymore! She couldn't stand looking at him without it tearing at her insides that she rushed away from the window. This was why she left the city! She needed to stay away from him! It was over with him. She shouldn't see him, she really shouldn't. As if her legs had minds of their own, Winry had found herself moving closer and closer to the stairs, just to get another look at him down there. Oh she wanted to feel him soo badly that she ached inside, she felt suffocated at missing him as much as she did.
 
Now here she was at the bottom of the stairs and doing all that she could to keep from rushing to him. Winry kept her head down and twisted her fingers tightly.
 
The sound of the door closing alerted Winry and she lifted her head finding Gracia coming towards her. “What was that about?” She asked trying to smile.
 
“Colonel Mustang just decided to pay a brief visit, just to say hello.” Gracia replied as she held out the note for the young lady. “He said to give this to you.”
 
Edward's eyes shifted between Gracia and Winry, he felt nervously ill and took a few steps closer to be able to see what was written on that horrid piece of paper that he wanted to crush.
 
Taking a deep breath, wondering what it could possibly say. Winry's pulse raced as she stared at the folded piece of paper and extended her hand towards it, taking it from the woman who now walked past her and into the living room more.
 
Winry paced a moment before resting her backside up against the wall as she stared down at her note. Flipping it open, she saw three words and his name which made her heart melt and her chest tighten:
 
I miss you.
 
Roy.
 
She leaned her head back against the wall as she held the note to her breast where her heart beat, feeling her eyes start to swell with tears. `I miss you too.' She sighed, letting her head tilt slightly to the side as she breathed in deep at the immense feelings rushing her.
 
Wanting to grab that note away, Edward lifted his hand to do just that. His fingers passed right through it, he tried it again only to have the same result. He wanted to punch a hole in the wall, he wanted to bust his hand wide open! “Damn-it!” He grabbed harshly at his hair, “Stupid, I hate this!” His stomach twisted tightly, frustration and anger igniting in his every nerve. “Don't fall for it, Winry. Just don't! You can't go for any of it!” He shouted at her, but all she did was stare over his shoulder. Edward growled and fell to his knees at her feet. Staring up at her in his sorrow, his golden eyes fogging over in despair, “Please, please hear me.” He spoke softly, his voice cracking. “You can't believe what he says or anything he does.” He lowered his hands as well as his face to the floor. “Winry…” His eyes closed tightly. “No…”
 
“Brother…” Alphonse lowered his eyes to the floor as he walked to him. He kneeled at his side.
 
“Please, Al, just leave me alone.” Edward said to the floor. “Have I really been that awful to her, to push her into the pathway of that damn Mustang and for her to believe those lines he's feeding her?”
 
“Edward.” Maes said walking to the emotionally crushed young man. “You know Winry isn't the type of person that would fall for any lines. I will say this in defense of Roy. This time it's not just lines he's using, it's how he really feels.”
 
“Bullshit.” Edward snarled low and tight. “That man doesn't feel for anyone but himself.”
 
“He cares about us, Brother.” Alphonse said, standing up and glancing down on his brother. “You just don't want to accept that there are people out there who care about us. So what if he doesn't smother us with motherly affection. He shows he cares in other ways when it comes to you and me. You're just too pigheaded to see it!”
 
Edward jumped up and turned, raging, on his brother. “Now you're defending that ass! After what he's done? Look how he's playing with Winry, like she's just some toy!”
 
“No he's not!” Alphonse yelled back, he jabbed his forefinger in the air in his brother's direction. “You're just jealous!”
 
His hands tightened at his sides, Edward stomped forward on his right foot. “Jealous! That's ridiculous! I am not jealous!”
 
Maes snickered, “Sure, Edward. You're not.” He said very sarcastically which made Edward fume even more.
 
“I can't take this.” Edward was breathing deeply and harshly. Glancing up at the clock he noticed it was close to three in the afternoon. He looked around and found Winry had gone, he didn't even hear or see her leave. The next thing he heard was her coming down the stairs putting on her black jacket. She had changed clothes and was wearing a white button up blouse and a black knee length skirt.
 
“Gracia, I'm going to the flower shop and then to Mr. Hughes's gravesite to pay my respects.” Winry said from the archway between the entry way and the living room.
 
Turning around and resting her arm on the couch rest, Gracia nodded with a smile. “All right. I'll see you later.”
 
With a short nod, Winry turned around and made sure she had enough money for some flowers and headed out the door. It was a beautiful day and she smiled up at the sun hanging in the sky. She then proceeded on her way to the flower shop.
 
Edward, Alphonse and Hughes followed after her as it was clear the location was not going to change on its own yet. It was a long walk to the flower shop, about thirty minutes but Winry wasn't even winded, she looked in very good spirits.
 
The bell on the door jingled as Winry opened the door to the flower shop and stepped inside. The pretty brown haired young woman behind the counter smiled brightly and rushed out from her post.
 
“Winry, you're back!” Grace pulled Winry into a hug. “I'm so happy to see you.”
 
Winry giggled, “I'm not really back, just a brief visit here till tomorrow afternoon. My train back to Resembool leaves around four.”
 
“We should have lunch or something tomorrow before you go.” Grace suggested with a smile.
 
“We'll see.” Winry replied with a kind smile. She started looking around the flowers. What would be appropriate for Mr. Hughes?
 
Grace was watching her closely, “What's the occasion?”
 
Sighing deeply, Winry looked over her shoulder. “I'm going to visit a grave.”
 
“Might I make a suggestion then?” Grace asked, going behind the counter and picking up the bouquet she had been working on and held it up. It had white lilies, bleeding hearts with a sprig of Babies Breath.
 
Being in the flower shop reminded Winry of a conversation she had with Roy— “I've always liked yellow flowers.”
 
“Why yellow?” Roy asked while sitting with her cheek resting against his chest as his arm was wrapped tenderly around her waist; they were on the brown leather sofa in his flat. He had imagined her liking something a bit more impressionable like roses or orchids as was the majority of favorites among the many he's been with, so imagine his shock when Winry was proving to be even more surprising at liking yellow flowers.
 
Winry smiled lightly, “Why yellow?” She saw him nod. “Yellow flowers to me are bright and bold. Take the Dandelion often thought of as a weed. But it's not, its got determination, strength, and manages to grow under the harshest conditions. It's the ultimate survivor. Buttercups and Daffodils are among my favorites, they are elegant and pretty, and brighten up any sour disposition. For me, yellow flowers mean strength of life, to be who you are no matter what and never give up. Be just like the Dandelion.” She smiled up at him as his finger now lifted, stroking the side of her face. “All right, it's my turn.” Her eyes narrowed in thought as she tried to come up with a question of her own for him. “What's your favorite time of year?”
 
“Hmm…” Roy leaned more against the back cushion of his sofa, pulling her in closer. Her answer to what her favorite kind of flowers was very inspiring. So from now on he'll keep yellow flowers in a small vase on his desk while at work to remind him of her when he was away from her. “Favorite time of year for me is…”
 
“Winry, should I wrap them up for you?” Grace asked, trying to get her attention. She noticed that the girl seemed to be dazed for a moment.
 
Winry blinked and nodded. “Sure, they're great, Grace.”
 
Maes smiled at the flowers, “Those are nice, what a sweet gesture.” He looked at Edward who had not left Winry's side.
 
Grace suddenly giggled as she walked behind the counter and cut a piece of light blue tissue paper with a pair of scissors. “You'll never guess what happened to me.” She looked up at Winry who leaned forward on the counter with a smile on her face. “I finally was able to get a grip on my shyness and go on a date with Colonel Roy Mustang.” She sighed, “it was…” She blushed.
 
Edward pointed right at Grace and looked at Winry. “See, he plays around with every pretty girl! You can't trust him, Winry. This is living proof right here.”
 
Winry giggled with a smile. “I take it that it went well.” She knew that Grace was always so shy and often dreamt about going out with the man.
 
“Oh, it went very well.” Grace's face heated so red that if it would blink it would flash warnings. “I was not disappointed at all, the man certainly does know how to deliver, if you know what I mean?” She giggled and heard Winry laugh as well. Grace then stared at the counter top. “I don't know if I want to go out with him again though. It felt like it was just a one time thing. Oh I hope you understand what I mean.”
 
With a kind smile, Winry sighed. “I understand, Grace. Relationships are complicated.”
 
He couldn't believe his ears and eyes. Edward really did not understand why Winry was so nice to this girl, and shouldn't she be jealous and angry that Mustang obviously banged the flower girl!? “Winry, have you lost your mind? You should hate him he's a cheater and an asshole! Not complimenting for snagging her for a night.” He turned to Hughes. “Does she just accept Mustang's rotten behavior concerning women?!”
 
Maes sighed, “It's complicated, Edward. I only knew about their involvement with one another when it was ending, so I have no idea what happened between the two of them. It could be the fact that Winry feels that since they are not in a relationship that they owe each other nothing.”
 
Looking over at Winry, Alphonse noticed that she didn't look angry at all. Winry had this expression of contentment and understanding when the flower girl mentioned her date and what felt like an implied impassioned night with the Colonel. “Brother, I think we've always underestimated Winry. No matter how many times you were rude to her, she always accepted you back without so much as judging you. The times she hit or threw things like her wrench at you, she was always worried about you. It never had anything really to do with wrecking her hard work; it was how reckless you were with your life. She is very strong of heart.”
 
Edward let out an ashamed puff of air as he turned his back on his brother to face Winry and the flower girl as the two continued with their conversation.
 
“It was after you left for Resembool that he started coming in here at least once, maybe even twice a week. He would always purchase a small bouquet of yellow flowers, nothing too extravagant, but they were nice. I think his most frequent purchase was Dandelions when they were in season, sometimes other small little yellow flowers in the bunch.” Grace recounted her memory as she wrapped Winry's bouquet in the light blue tissue paper. “He had then transferred east and I hadn't seen him for a long while. But about a month or so ago he came back to Central. His routine of coming by once a week resumed and so since I've seen him so frequently, I decided to be brave one day and just blurted out that I thought he was amazing and wanted to go out.”
 
`Dandelions? He bought those when he could just find them growing wild?' Winry's heart fluttered a little at the thought. “I am glad that your date had gone as well as it did.” She smiled genuinely.
 
“I'm thinking about really giving someone else a shot. I really didn't know what to think or feel so he probably felt I was playing hard to get. I was just still hung up on my crush on Colonel Mustang; it wouldn't have been fair to this other guy if I went out with him and the Colonel. This other guy is really sweet though, so maybe.” Grace smiled prettily.
 
Winry paid for her flowers and picked up the bouquet. “Well good luck, Grace. I'll let you know about lunch tomorrow, okay. I'm not sure.”
 
Grace nodded, “Oh sure, Winry. Thanks for stopping by. Its kinda been lonely around here with out you around.”
 
With a short wave, Winry turned around and left the flower shop.
 
The boys and Hughes had gone to the cemetery, following after Winry.
 
Winry had asked someone for a little direction and he sent her to the correct section Mr. Hughes's grave would be in. Holding the flower bouquet in her arms she stared sadly down at the grave. “I don't know whether to be angry with you or not.” She smiled lightly through her sadness. “You were always so reckless, just like Ed. Only I never thought I had to worry about you the same way I worried about Edward, he pisses me off so badly that he doesn't take better care of himself.”
 
Edward frowned, “I'm sorry to have worried you, Winry. I never knew.” He stared down at the grass. “Why didn't you ever tell me any of this, about how you felt!? God, Winry. Did you expect me just to be able to read minds?”
 
“Well, Brother, you were quite an ass to her most of the time. You're lucky she stuck by us with the way you constantly yelled at her.” Alphonse said.
 
“I didn't mean to be.” Edward sighed, “Maybe I tried not to let people get too close, even Winry. I was afraid of what would happen if we lost her as well.”
 
Alphonse placed his hand on his brother's shoulder, “I know, Brother. Me too.” He squeezed his shoulder.
 
“She was never afraid to get close to us, though.” Edward replied and leaned into Alphonse's comforting touch, “No matter what she was always there with her tears and hugs for us, letting us touch a part of her heart and I didn't appreciate it then. Do you remember after we rescued Winry from that murderer Barry the Chopper, when I thought I was going to die and I said that if we don't take care of each other then no one else will? I didn't realize it then because I was still basically a kid, I was only twelve… but now that I look back on it. I was wrong, Al. Ah, Hell, I was so wrong. We've always had Winry.”
 
With a fond grin, Alphonse nodded. “You're right, Brother. I didn't realize it either until you just said that. Winry… she was all that we needed and we didn't even know it. She even hugged me when my soul was attached to that suit of armor even though she knew I couldn't really feel it. It was a nice gesture.”
 
Maes looked away from Edward and Alphonse and he moved forward where he stood before Winry on his grave, “I know you're disappointed, Winry, and I am so sorry that I made you sad.” He wanted to reach out and touch her cheek, her hair, anything. “But I did what I had to. Sure, it ended up costing me my life, and if I had a chance to do it all again I wouldn't do any different. Except for possibly knowing that impersonating homunculus wasn't Maria Ross before it was too late.” He longed to comfort her.
 
She bent at the knee and sat the flowers down. “These are for you, I know it's not the most extravagant bouquet, but the death flowers are pretty,” Winry half grinned in amusement. “I hope you like them.” Rising to her full height, she folded her hands down low against her belly. “I'm staying with your family until tomorrow afternoon. You should see Elysia, she has gotten so big since the last time I saw her which was at her birthday party when you dragged me off without even really asking me.” Winry giggled, “You just told me I was coming. I swear if I hadn't of known you already, I would've thought you were some kinda nut. Elysia is simply adorable though and I hope when the time comes for me to have a family that mine are as cute and sweet as yours. It's so sad that you're missing her grow up.” She lifted her head, letting her eyes fall closed, “What a waste. Oh, Mr. Hughes...”
 
“You could call him by his first name, you know? I don't think he would mind in the least.” Said the familiar masculine voice of Roy Mustang from behind her, causing her eyes to widen slightly and she gasped. Her heart raced at the sheer silk like tone of that voice.
 
=====
This episode/chapter was getting too long so I had to divide it in half. But I hope you all liked it, and finally Roy and Winry are going to finally see each other when all they have done before is just talk and think about each other. How do you think Ed is gonna take it? Also, how did you all like the more scene from Ep 37. That is one of the funniest episodes in all the series.
 
Thanks for reading
Ryoko Blue