Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ When the Cherry Blossoms Bloom ❯ Struggles of the Heart ( Chapter 16 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I never claimed to own this, so guess what. I do not!
 
Summary: When faced with Love's difficulty, can three people locked in its hold push aside their fear for the sake of it? Sequel to Feel Me, Shame Me, Heal Me.
 
 
When the Cherry Blossoms Bloom
Episode 16—Struggles From Within
 
 
Winry slammed the butcher knife down on the chicken, slicing it clean in half, bone and all. She growled and pounded and chopped, building up a sweat of anger that no doubt would be followed by extreme violence - even more extreme than her dinner making seemed to be at this moment.
 
“Winry, I think it's already dead.” Alphonse said from his place at the kitchen table. He had been helping her by peeling the ends and stringing peas. He had watched her all afternoon mashing tomatoes for sauce, crushing garlic, probably imagining that it was someone's head.
 
She let out a loud sigh and turned to face Alphonse. “I know. I've been silently fuming all day, Al. Sorry, but wouldn't you rather I take my aggression out on dead meat rather than live flesh.” She grinned wickedly.
 
Alphonse felt nervous and he could feel sweat starting to trickle down his forehead from such nerves. He cleared his throat and wiped at his forehead with his arm before returning to task of pealing the ends off of peas. “Why are you so aggressive?” He asked and then rolled his eyes at his ridiculous question. `Why indeed…Mustang was residing in this very house.'
 
Groaning, Winry started to pace, knife in hand. “Why do you think, Al?!” she screeched, frustrated. “I can't believe Grandma is letting Roy stay here, what was she thinking? How could she do this to me?!” Winry felt like stomping her foot like a child and throwing a tantrum all over the house.
 
“Is it really that bad, Winry?” Alphonse asked, raising his eyes to hers. “It could be a good thing.” He was sure if it were possibly Winry's jaw would have hit the floor from the amount of shock now visible on her face.
 
“Are you insane!? Not you too?!” She groaned and spun around in aggravation before facing him again. “No good could come from this.” Winry shook her head wildly.
 
With a tiny shrug of his shoulders, Alphonse smiled lightly. “Well, he finally gets to know his kids. That's a good thing. That is what's most important here, isn't it?” He saw her brow crease slightly. “It shouldn't really bother you that the General is staying here if you don't feel anything for him, right?”
 
Winry's face flamed and she turned her back on him, facing her chicken. “Right,” She said softly. She didn't feel anything, she didn't! Closing her eyes tightly she sucked in a deep breath. “It's just uncomfortable. He's just…it's like…gah, dealing with him is hard! He makes me so crazy!”
 
Alphonse stifled his laugh, his shoulders shaking in merriment. “I don't doubt that, Winry.”
 
“You don't know the half of it, Al. That man, he talks me into corners, he's…” She sighed. Winry lowered her chin to her chest. `I missed him, so much,and he comes back now…? “It's just, not right.” She couldn't let herself fall, not again. He's only been here a whole day and already she couldn't concentrate on anything except him. “Why can't he just fall into some other woman's arms? Why does he have to come back here?”
 
“Are you sure you would want that?” Alphonse said, putting the bowl of peas on the table and getting up from his seat. He walked to Winry.
 
She had to stand firm, she was not going to let Roy back into her life like this. Turning her head, she found Alphonse's sympathetic expression. “You don't know him like I do, Al. He promised he would come back, he…” She broke off feeling her voice trembling, and fighting the onslaught of tears that were threatening her eyes. “…and he didn't keep, he… I… I was left with just cold memories, memories I don't even want! All because he probably figured his time with me was done. That he was finally tired of it, but he couldn't tell me to my face. He was never very good at sticking with one woman for long, as you and Ed well know. It's surprising I lasted as long as I did, but I knew it would eventually come, and I had always prepared myself for it. I let my guard down. I shouldn't have fallen…given…” She cradled her face in her hands, not caring if the chicken juice got all over her.
 
“How do you know what he was thinking when he decided not to return here?” Alphonse knew why, he couldn't give away why he knew. So instead, he would try to plant the idea in her own head that would make her think of it herself, that maybe the General didn't feel he was good enough for her. “You say you know him well, possibly better than anyone, considering that two amazing children resulted from how well you know him. But maybe there is something more to it than you think.” Alphonse could see that she was still terribly hurt, even if she hid it well in front of others. He had a feeling that Winry suffers silently, while she's alone. She wasn't over him, not by a long shot. But she was determined to force herself not to care about him, when she still did with all her heart. “Had he not ever once kept a promise to you?”
 
Winry took a deep breath and lifted her head and thought back, “He has never lied to me. Back when he promised he would return... that was the first time, ever. He knew he wasn't going to, he should have just told me then.” That didn't make any sense now that she thought about it. He had never lied, not once; there never had been any cause to mistrust his word. `What happened? Did he meet someone else?'
 
“Perhaps you should ask him, Winry?” Alphonse said with an encouraging smile. “Find out, don't just guess on it. You'll make yourself sick with worry.”
 
If she asked him she might not like the answer. But it should mean very little since she didn't care about him that way anymore. “I won't make myself sick with worry.” She turned back to her chicken. “It really doesn't matter anymore. I just won't allow myself to be used by him.”
 
Alphonse then smirked, “Why not? It's plainly obvious that you enjoy whatever it is he does for you.”
 
Winry whirled around and was astounded at the perverted look on Alphonse's face. “Al!”
 
He shrugged, “If you like it, why not give in? What will it hurt? It's just sex.” He really didn't feel that way, but he wanted to see what kind of a reaction out of Winry he got. He was trying to see exactly where her boundaries were concerning the subject of her and the General. He was determined to help her set herself free, to swallow her pride, and give into her feelings. It was the least he could do for his good childhood friend that had given everything that he and his brother had taken for granted over the many years.
 
Her jaw for the second time that evening dropped open. “Al! What's the matter with you? Did living in that other world turn you into some kinda pervert or something?” She saw him laughing and it did nothing to ease her shock. “Don't you know that sex leads to love which leads to broken and alone?”
 
“That's just your opinion, a rather cynical one at that.” Alphonse leaned up against the counter. “You're young still, Winry, you're only twenty two. You should be out having fun and romancing, and well, who knows what else, but you should be doing it.”
 
“I have two children, Al. I can't go doing those kindsa things.” She shook her head, her face flaming.
 
Alphonse smiled, “So what if you're a mother. You're still hot and I'm sure you make guys hot, too.”
 
Winry's face was apple red, “Alphonse Elric, I'm gonna tell your brother your being a pig! And then do you know what will happen?!” She shook her head and started separating the bones from the chicken meat.
 
“He would agree with me.” Alphonse replied with a smug expression while folding his arms proudly over his chest.
 
“No!” She growled, she still couldn't help the amused grin, “He'll beat you down.”
 
With a short laugh, Alphonse shook his head. “Not likely. If you recall, Winry, Brother never bested me in a fight. I won everything, toys, candy, you name it. He would lose and go off and sulk.” He just laughed. “I'm just kidding about all that sex stuff, Winry. I just want to see that you find something to be happy about.”
 
She smiled softly, “Anna and Brian are my reasons for smiling, Al. I love those kids.” It was surprising when after lunch the children wanted to go down to the Abbots to see the kittens and Edward offered to take them. She could tell the little ones made him uncomfortable. Maybe he wanted to get to know them and that made her happy.
 
“Well I better go meet, Brother. Who knows what he's gotten himself into involving your kids.” Alphonse snickered and placed the bowl of green beans on the counter, before excusing himself from the kitchen.
 
After Alphonse left, Winry looked up at the clock and actually dreaded the moment Roy got back, he claimed he was going into town to find out which hotel his parents were staying at. Perhaps she shouldn't have told him they were still in the area.
 
****
 
Roy stared out the window at the town below from fourth floor of an elegant room with wine colored drapes, and fine furniture of cherry wood. His arms folded over his chest. He narrowed his eyes at the passersby. `So innocent, so unknowing what terrors there are out in the world.' He turned his head finding his father preparing a glass of Sherry for his mother and handing the woman sitting in the chair the pretty crystal glass. “How dare you trick me.” He finally said to them.
 
An amused grunt emerged from the older Mustang. “I only did what I thought was necessary, and it worked. You hopped the next train and came right here.”
 
Spinning around, Roy pinned his father with a hard stare. “You had no right to meddle in my affairs like that. I will decide what is to happen in my life.”
 
Jenny smiled lightly while looking at the reddish liquid in her glass. “Why are you so angry? Wasn't it a joy to see Winry again?”
 
All Roy did was groan with regret. “Why didn't you tell me that she gave birth to my children? You have more loyalty to me, your own flesh and blood, than you do her.” He knew that sounded hurtful, and also knew how taken his mother was with Winry, that she would treat her like the daughter she never had but really wanted. “You all purposely hid that information from me.”
 
“Would you have come back to her, Roy? Or were you too self absorbed in whatever it was, shame, revulsion, self pity? Even if we had told you about the children, there was no guarantee you would do anything different.” Gerald countered, hearing his son's irritated growl. “You were behaving like a coward.”
 
“Don't you dare talk to me about cowardice!” Roy raged tightly. “That is one topic of conversation that you will not address with me, ever.”
 
Gerald sighed, “I've seen the horrors of war, Roy. Many more than you have seen. All that you've seen was tiny in comparison to my lifetime's worth. You weren't the only one to lose something, to lose their self respect and their reasons for living on. But it does no one any good to wallow in it.”
 
“You cannot say how something affects another, we've had far different experiences.” Roy looked away from his father and towards his mother. He wondered if his father was just as tainted in death and sin as he was. He took in a deep breath, “It seems I can't even follow my own advice.” He remembered back to the whole Nina Tucker incident; how he told Edward Elric to be glad that it wasn't him that was dead and to just keep moving. He couldn't even follow what he told the boy, instead he hid away, shamed and disgusted with himself for not being able to save people, innocent children, friends, no one. He had not really been able to protect anyone as all those who came in contact with him ended up in worse shape than they started.
 
Knowing what was going through her son's head, Jenny sat the glass down on the small table and stood up, walking to him. “You just need to let go of your hate, Roy. It's not healthy to be so bitter with yourself.” She grabbed his arm and she knew he let her pull him to the chair, where he sat down. “It is not a curse to be involved with you, my son.” She ran her hands through his hair that was a bit unkempt with its length. “You were my miracle, Roy. And you are so to others, only you just don't see it. That no matter what they would have stayed by your side, through everything.” She smiled lightly as her son lifted his dark eye to her. “Winry is one of them, she loves you.”
 
Roy's brow creased, “She said that?”
 
Jenny's smile remained, “She doesn't have to say it, it's just true.” Her kind smile turned into the very smirk that seemed to have passed onto Roy. “She's no longer that young teenage girl anymore; you realize that you can now openly and in front of the whole world romance her adorable little socks off?”
 
He couldn't help it a small smile curved the side of Roy's mouth. “She does have adorable ankles to go in those adorable socks.” He recalled the many times with Winry that he had always lavished extreme attention on her feet. He loved her feet, her toes, her delicate arch. If she had been standing on them all day during an Automail attachment, he was more than willing to relive the ache in them.
 
“You might have some trouble now though, Roy.” Gerald said, pulling his son out of his musings, “Since that other man resides there. You know the blonde one, about so big.” He held his hand level with his waist which made his son grunt with amusement.
 
“Yes, I know the one you mean.” Roy sat back in the chair and his mother removed her hands from his hair. “Edward Elric is nothing to worry about.” He wondered if he could lose Winry to Edward. After all, he'd been gone from her life for almost five years, and Edward has had her attention before in the past, they have been friends a long time. But did the younger man enflame her with passion every time they met up? Or did Edward only ignite her temper? He sure wished he could get inside Winry's head to see how she really thinks.
 
“I need to get her to trust me again. I know I had done the worst thing imaginable to her by not coming back. She's had so much disappointment, and mostly caused by me.” Roy let out a rough breath of air. “I can't change the past, but I can at least do something that would make her happy now. And I do need her.”
 
Jenny smiled, “Then why are you wasting your time here with us when you should be winning back the young woman you care so much for?”
 
With a smirk of his own, Gerald nodded then added, “Get off your lazy duff and do something about it. Don't let that other man take her from you. With enough coaxing he just might be able to.”
 
That was partially true, but Roy couldn't let that happen. He was tired of not living up to his own expectations. He was going to stop running away. Instead, he was going to run to her like he should have almost five years ago. Getting to his feet, Roy with an air of determination headed for the door.
 
 
Arriving back at Winry's was quicker than he thought, mostly because his thoughts were on how to gain her trust, among other things. How would he approach her without scaring her off? He had tried the direct approach before and with much success, but this isn't like those older days. This was different. Too much has happened and blackmail just wouldn't work this time. He wanted her to accept him not because she was pushed into it, but because she wanted to.
 
Approaching the front door, he knocked once out of politeness. It wasn't his house even if he was invited to stay, he couldn't just walk in without permission. The door opened and Winry stood there with her right brow arched and a multicolored striped dish towel slung over her shoulder.
 
“You don't have to knock, just come in.” She said briskly, before turning around and heading back towards the kitchen.
 
Clearing his throat, Roy closed the door behind him. The scent of pasta sauce, bread and garlic filled his senses. It was a really wonderful scent, and it made him truly regret his previous actions about how he tried to push her away. This is what home and warmth smelled like and he just blindly threw it all away. “I know this must be uncomfortable for you.” He replied, watching her stop short and turn part away around, facing him.
 
“Uncomfortable doesn't even begin to describe it.” She said slightly edgy.
 
He straightened his posture, firming his resolve in his attempt at winning her back. “I meant what I said last night, Winry. I really do want to spend time with you as well as the children. I want all of us to spend time together.”
 
Winry's hands found her hips. “What? Like a family?” She groaned. “Sorry, Roy, but that's not what this is. Family does not walk out on each other. We do not run away when things get hard.” Her tone was tight. “I don't know what you hope to accomplish by coming here now? After you…” She immediately shut her mouth, she was not going to let him see how much she had been hurt by him. Winry held her head up high. “If you want to spend time with the children then that's fine, but I won't—” she was cut off by the sudden movement of him, Roy had come to stand right before her. Winry tried to turn away from him since his close proximity made her uncomfortable and she could never help reacting to him as a woman does a man. He clutched her shoulders and turned her back around to face him. “D…don't touch me, let go.” She wiggled, trying to escape his hold.
 
“Why should I? You've always liked it when I touched you, even when you hated me.” He stared down into pretty blue eyes that were wide with fear that she was trying to disguise. “I made a mistake, a bad one, Winry. Out of everything, don't I deserve a second chance?”
 
She stopped struggling not wanting to enjoy the feel of his hands on her, even on her shoulders and she stared at the floor, shaking her head. She couldn't let him do this. “I…I can't. You shouldn't expect…It's just…”
 
He saw it then, tears sliding slowly down her cheeks. Roy never liked the sight of her tears, it made his own heart ache.
 
Winry tried to stop the flow of wetness but it wouldn't stop, she couldn't stop it. She tried wiping at her eyes but the tears still continued to fall. Unable to control her emotions, it all came rushing out. Many years of built up strong walls collapsed with in an instant and she let it loose. “Why didn't you—?” She stared up, her eyes piercing his dark one with her severely battered heart, “Damn you, why didn't you come back?!” She swung her fists at him, slapping and slugging him in the chest as hard as she could in all her pent up anger, frustration, and pain. “You, you promised me, you promised!” It felt like her heart was being torn into shreds all over again and Winry continued to try and beat him, wanting to inflict as much pain physically on him that he had inflicted on her heart. Until she felt him pull her to him and he wrapped his arms tight around her. She stopped her struggle and just fell against him where she sobbed loudly into his chest. Winry felt Roy lower his face to her neck and cuddled her so tightly while taking a deep breath. “I waited for you and you never came back,” she choked on her tears.
 
Roy swallowed hard, “I'm sorry.” he said breathlessly, resting his cheek against the top of her head, tightening his hold about her, wanting to take away her pain. “I'm so sorry, Winry.” Roy wondered if she would ever forgive him, he had hurt her so badly. His hands gently framed her face, softly tilting up so he could look into eyes that he never thought he would see again. “This will probably be the first and only time I admit to this, but I was wrong. I was wrong for cutting you off like that. I am truly sorry, Winry. Please, just don't cry. I have made you cry far more than enough through almost all of our acquaintance.”
 
Softly pressing his lips to her forehead, Winry's eyes fluttered closed in the sweet feeling it created within, her chest hitching as she tried to settle her breathing. Oh God, she had missed this, missed his scent, the feel of him. The battle inside her raged, to stay or move away. She lifted her hands to his upper arms, intending on pushing back from him, but all thoughts of moving away vanished from her mind with the soft touches he was bestowing upon her. She could hear him asking her not to cry anymore, but all she could really pay attention to were his lips moving languidly about her face, her forehead, her nose, over the wet streaks that had been left by her tears on her cheeks. “Roy,” She whispered. She brought her hands to his, her fingers spreading over his that were on her face. “I…I—”
 
His lips softly brushed hers and she took in a startled breath feeling like electricity was shooting right through her.
 
“Winry…” He said gently, his gaze holding hers. Roy cursed himself, he so longed to have sight of both his eyes. He hated this. She could never accept him this way, scarred and broken. He was about to pull away from her to not disgust her because of his own disfigurement. But she quickly reached up, her arms thrown tightly around his neck where she had crashed his mouth to hers. Roy was stunned for a moment and it was expressed in his widened dark eye. His shock was short lived as he melted against her, his lashes closed and he fell into the feeling of her, drowning in it. His arm moved around her waist and he pulled her closer.
 
Winry felt she couldn't get close enough, even as she pressed herself flush against him, wanting to feel every inch of him. She knew she had lost her senses a few yards back as she just threw herself at him like this. When she had promised herself she wouldn't fall again. It was just a kiss, yes, and those feel good, she wanted to feel good. She couldn't deny that Roy always made her feel good. A tiny voice in the back of her head told her that she was lying to herself, but she didn't want to address it now. The voice kept getting louder and louder, telling her to stop this, that she was only going to end up hurt and alone again. Don't give in. Her head was shouting that he really didn't want her, she was just an easy target, easy to control. She squeezed her eyes shut tighter intending on pushing away, but the feel of his tongue, his lips, she felt herself ignoring her rational thought for more of this feeling that tingled everywhere he touched.
 
“Winry!” The sound of shocked and angry voices barged through the blissful haze, making her draw back from Roy and turn her head.
 
“What the hell…!?” Edward fumed, glaring so hard that it very well could cause the roof to cave in.
 
Winry gasped at seeing Edward, Alphonse and her children standing there at the door Brian and Anna were looking on her in confusion, where as Edward was an angry beet red and Alphonse appeared to be nervous. Winry then looked to Roy who was staring at Edward with a blank expression before he looked back at her. She hated herself! She wanted to throw herself at him again! She had wanted it to happen and felt shame bubble in her belly. Roy shouldn't have come here, he's confusing her again. She didn't care, she couldn't, no! Instead of addressing the issue she spun on her heel, while picking up the towel that had ended up on the floor she raced back to the kitchen.
 
Alphonse hurried after her, where as Edward just continued to stare daggers at Mustang. Brian grabbed Anna's hand and pulled her to the couch where they sat down, a bit confused.
 
Edward was steaming mad, not to mention the jealousy coursing through him at an alarming rate. “You can't just come back here and do this to her.”
 
Rolling his eyes, Roy faced Edward. “What are you talking about, Ed?” He heard his competition growl.
 
“Don't play stupid, Old man! You know what I'm talking about.” Edward wanted to punch Mustang's stupid face in.
 
“This doesn't concern you, Edward. I thought Winry told you to stay out of it.” Roy's eye narrowed slightly. “Do I have to enforce your compliance with her wishes?”
 
Crossing his arms tightly over his chest, Edward tried to take a deep settling breath. “She obviously loses her head around you! She doesn't know what she's doing! I won't allow you to destroy her again!” He stomped his foot in bitter anger.
 
“I'm not here to destroy her, little man.” Roy growled with a smirk. “Maybe you should find out real reasons before you go accusing that of which you know nothing about.”
 
“Stop calling me little, you asshole!” Edward snarled.
 
Roy took a glance at the children and then at Edward, “You watch your mouth.” He said darkly then straightened his posture. “I don't want the children picking up your bad habits.”
 
“Rather mine than yours!”
 
Brian lowered his voice. “Do you think Mama likes that man?” He gestured to the dark haired man with the weird dark object on his face.
 
Anna nodded, “Mama only gives kisses to people she likes. When I asted her yesday night, she said he was a friend from long time ago and will be stay wit us for a liddle bit.”
 
“I renember.” Brian replied, looking back at the two who had begun to speak. “She say we should all be friends, that you and me should know him.”
 
Pursing her lips, Anna sighed thoughtfully. “Why you think? Maybe he own candy fatory?”
 
Brian giggled, “Or toy shop.”
 
Both Brian and Anna thought about it and then shook their heads. “Nah!” they both said at once.
 
“He don't look like he own eder a dose.” Anna leaned back in the sofa cushion.
 
“We need to figer it out,” Brian said with determination. “Aldo, Unca Edwa don't seem like him much.” He then grinned. “Maybe the uder man will help protek Mama, too.”
 
Anna's eyes lit up, “We shud axe him, when Unca Edwa is no around.” Her dark eyes narrowed in dangerous thought.
 
“Good tinking, Anna!” Brian said with a proudly raised fist. “By da way, I hab new ida for Unca Edward.” He pulled from his pant's pocket a small sack. “I gots kiddy lidder from Abbots' pace.” He grinned adorably evil while his sister giggled.
 
When Alphonse entered the kitchen he saw Winry at the counter, she was gripping the tile and staring down at it. He took a glance back towards the living room where he could hear Edward's loud verbal attack on the General. Doesn't that boob realize that he should be in here talking to Winry rather than insulting the General and saying he will defend Winry's honor so to speak?
 
Winry turned her head and was relieved that it wasn't either Edward or Roy standing there. She needed time to collect herself away from them. “I told you he makes me crazy.” She said with a forced half smile.
 
“You have nothing to be ashamed about, Winry.” Alphonse said with a kind smile.
 
“Yes I do.” She groaned and gripped the counter tiles tighter. “I told myself over and over again that I wouldn't let myself fall for any of his tactics, and I didn't. I just couldn't take it, I threw myself at him, like a…like a whore!”
 
Alphonse gasped, “Don't you dare say anything like that about yourself, Winry. Stop it.” He ordered, sternly. “Your emotions got the better of you, and I can see that not a lot of girls can resist the General. But you're different than them, because you actually care about him.”
 
“Care about him?” Winry groaned, “I don't want to care about him! I just…want to stop.” She slammed her hands down on the counter. “I have to stay away from him. I can't be anywhere alone with him, I don't trust myself. I need to resist that basic desire that needs to touch him!” She turned around and grabbed Alphonse by the shirt. “Don't you know that even being in the same room is like throwing gasoline on a pit of fire!?”
 
Alphonse blinked surprised and clutched her hands that were wrapped so tightly around his shirt and he pulled her hands from him. “I haven't heard it being described quite like that before, Winry. What are you going to do about it now? You already gave into the basic need to kiss him, you're going to crave more. You should just let go, it won't hurt.”
 
She lowered her face, her bangs shadowing over her eyes. “I will hurt, Al, you just won't see the hurt because it's on the inside. I can't let myself get hurt again, I won't. Not by anyone.”
 
“Winry, think about what you're saying. You shouldn't let one bad experience dictate your life. You are the type that loves so completely, how will you live without that feeling? You might as well just sit in a dark corner for the rest of your life.”
 
Not knowing what to say to that, Winry stiffened. She didn't want to talk about this anymore. “I'm not going to let him infect me again, I won't.” She turned back to the sauce that was still simmering on the stove. “Al, I have to finish dinner.”
 
He took this as his clue to leave. Alphonse inwardly sighed knowing that she was so determined to remain distant from happiness just because something could cause her pain. Their whole lives revolved around pain, couldn't she accept that small bit of happiness. People make mistakes, but they learn from them. Is she more upset with herself that she had given up on every one, is that what fuels her need to push all that could be wonderful away? That she doesn't deserve joy? He would get to the core of it, it would take time, but he would do all he could to help her open up to being the woman she once was.
 
Leaving the kitchen, Alphonse entered back into the ring of verbal abuse; it was starting to drive him crazy. They all had to remain under this roof and he would lose his mind if those two couldn't contain themselves. “All right! I've had enough!” He growled in severe irritation which startled his brother, who was now looking at him oddly. “Stop this, Brother. Stop accusing him of trying to ruin her, all right. Winry's a big girl she can take care of herself.” He marched over to his brother. “She doesn't need your interference!” He yelled.
 
“Al?” Edward was shocked still.
 
“Can't you see she has enough to deal with? Please stop adding more to her discomfort.” Alphonse looked at General. “Also, Sir, please, have a little courtesy, Brother is only trying to be a good friend to Winry. He's worried about her.”
 
Roy let out a frustrated breath, and gave a short nod. The boy was always a little more level headed than his brother.
 
Alphonse felt his temper settle. “Now, dinner is almost ready. I suggest we all go and clean up.” He said with a calm smile and he turned to the little ones. “Guess what, Brian and Anna? Your mom's making your favorite tonight.”
 
“Sketti!” Both Anna and Brian shouted at once in a cheer and they both jumped off the couch to go wash up.
 
Still feeling tense, Edward threw a harsh glare at Mustang before heading to the kitchen to see about dinner.
 
“Alphonse,” Roy said and the boy turned his head. “Is Winry all right?”
 
Turning around to face him, Alphonse smiled, but it wasn't a happy expression. “She's confused, which I can't really blame her for. You had really hurt her by not keeping your promise, more so than anyone. Even more than Brother and I could.”
 
Roy stared at the floor for a moment, before lifting his dark eye back to Alphonse. “I know. It's not easy, knowing all that I have done to her over the many years, a lot of it was a struggle for her. She put a lot of faith and trust in me and I completely crushed it.” He rubbed the back of his head, “I can't change what I have done, but I want to make up for it. I want her to see that I can be the person she can depend on.”
 
“How did this even happen, Sir? I mean you and her. It seemed extremely unlikely.” Alphonse asked, having always wanted to know, as did his brother, only he was better at getting information out of people since he was calmer about it and not threatening them with bodily harm.
 
With a slight tile of his head, Roy regarded Alphonse with a narrowed eye and a controlled expression that gave away nothing of how he was feeling. “You really want to know?” Seeing the younger Elric nod, Roy gestured to the sofa where they both sat down. “You won't like it.” He gently warned.
 
“Just tell me.” Alphonse turned to face him more, sitting cross-legged on the sofa.
 
Roy leaned back against the cushions, “Do you remember when you and your brother unseated the profit in Liore?”
 
“Yeah…” Alphonse's brow creased.
 
“It was at that time that Winry moved to Central so she could be with you two, to actually wait for you boys.”
 
“I remember that, we got letters from her that you passed on to us and we wrote back, hopefully you passed our replies onto her.” Alphonse replied, thinking back to those earlier days when he had still been in that suit of armor.
 
With a nod, Roy would tell the boy what he wanted to know, even if could cast him as an enemy like how Alphonse's brother saw him. He would soon to find out.
 
=======
Well that's it for this episode/chapter.  Do you think Winry will be able to resist her own temptation for long?  And what about Roy, do you think since he knows of his affect on her that he will use it to his advantage?  The answer to that is... duh, of course!
Thanks for reading!
Ryoko Blue