Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ When the Cherry Blossoms Bloom ❯ In Truth We Trust ( Chapter 20 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I never claimed to own this, so guess what. I do not!
 
Summary: When faced with Love's difficulty, can three people locked in its hold push aside their fear for the sake of it? Sequel to Feel Me, Shame Me, Heal Me.
A/N: I do have myspace, I always like to meet new people so go ahead and friend me. You can find a link to my myspace in my bio page.
Enjoy!
 
 
When the Cherry Blossoms Bloom
Episode 20—In Truth We Trust 
Trying to catch her breath, Winry leaned the back of her head against the side of the house and Roy's mouth crashed to hers, kissing her hard and deep, as she unwrapped her legs from him.  His hands gripped her waist securely as she stood on her feet.  She felt him smooth her skirt down, but his hand seemed to move about her belly.
 She twisted her face to the side, breaking their heated kiss.  As much as she was enjoying it, his soft, gentle touches, she had to get him to stop this.  It was having a dangerous effect on her heart. “Roy, you…you need to stop touching me.” 
 He grinned, pressing his nose to hers.  “I like it too much.  I need to touch you, all the time.”  Roy had gone so long without touching her that he really needed to as much as he could.  Feeling her hands on his chest, she was trying to push him off her and he only leaned closer, pressing himself along the length of her body.  “Don't push me from you, Winry.  Not now.  You certainly didn't push me away last night after, I thought that maybe you were finally able to accept me back.”
 Winry glanced down at the grass and let out a long breath.  “I can't do this. I always lose my head around you. You make it impossible for me to think straight.” She felt that hand of his go between her legs again and she squealed.  “Hey, stop that,” she panted.
 Roy felt their mingled essence and he smiled lightly knowing that it she would not be able to deny her feelings.  “Stop fearing this, stop fearing me and yourself.”
 Gripping his wrist tightly, she roughly pushed his hand from her.  “You're one to talk about fear,” she snapped harshly.  Winry saw his eye narrow in anger and hurt.  “You have no right to lecture me on the subject, Roy, and you know it.”  It made her feel just a little guilty for saying that, but she still stood her ground.  It was true.  He had no right to lecture her on fear.
 He was about to comment when he heard a woman say "I hope I'm not interrupting" next to him and Winry and they both sharply turned their heads, finding Gracia Hughes and Elysia standing there who was holding two small, wrapped in green, boxes.  There was a hidden smirk on Gracia's face.
 Taking two steps from Winry, Roy put some distance between them.  He wondered how long she had been standing there.
 Gracia pointed towards the front door.  “We knocked several times but there was no answer.  I heard voices and we came around the side here.”
 With one more look back at Roy, Winry found his expression indicating that this conversation was far from over.  She then turned her complete attention to Gracia.  “The party is around back.” She gestured to back yard.  “Uh, excuse me a moment.” and Winry raced towards the house, she needed to get a clean pair of panties along with making sure that what happened just a few moments ago doesn't end up causing her to have another child.  And that left Gracia and Elysia alone with Roy.
 Gracia smiled up at Roy, who only arched his brow.  He turned to walk back towards the party with her and her daughter following after him.
 He had to remember he was angry with Gracia.  He heard Elysia giggle and run over to join the children.
 “Roy,” Gracia started to say. “I can honestly say I didn't expect to see you here.”
 He turned his head, so he could look at her and his eye narrowed.  “I could say the same thing about you.”
 She smiled, “Winry's my friend. Elysia and I have visited her from time to time over the years.”  Gracia's smile melted when he started walking away from her.  She only followed him to a table where he sat down.  “You're mad at me for something.”
 His single gaze glared up at her.  “You knew about the children, you were here with Winry when she had them.  How could you not have told me about them?”  All the times he had stopped by to see her in Central and she couldn't have found time to tell him once about this. 
 Sitting down beside him, Gracia felt a little bad.  “It wasn't really my place to.  It was something Winry asked me not to do.  She didn't want to hold you back.”
 “She doesn't want me anymore.” He wasn't just talking about sex and he was sure, Gracia picked that up.
 Gracia's right brow lifted.  “Oh, that's ridiculous. Of what I saw, there was no indication that she doesn't want to be with you. Put yourself in her shoes for a moment, try and understand what she's feeling.”
 “She keeps pushing from me.  She won't let me in.” He stared downward, his brow creasing in thought.
 Gracia looked towards Elysia and the other children.  “Prove it to her more than just with words and your usual tactics, Roy.” She smirked and looked back towards him with a smile.  “Nothing has ever remained constant in her life.   Her loved ones always came and gone, always slipping through her fingers.  Give her something to really grab onto.”  She saw his brow crease and that meant he was thinking about something serious.
 Two figures out of the corner of his eye caught Roy's attention and he looked over at his parents.  They seemed to have noticed him looking for they made their way over to him.
 “Roy,” Gerald said with an incline of his head.  He looked at the woman with short, brown hair sitting beside his son.  “Who's this?” His tone was slightly accusing and it had Roy roll his eye.
 “This is an old friend,” Roy answered.  “Maes was her husband.”
 Gracia smiled, but it lost a little of its brilliance.  She would always miss him no matter how many years have passed.  She could tell just by looking at the couple that they were Roy's parents.  “I'm just trying to give him a little boost here.”
 Wanting to avoid his parents, Roy turned his head, looking over at the tree that he had purchased.  It had been Edward and Alphonse who planted it earlier this morning when the Nursery delivered it.
 As soon as she stepped into the backyard, Roy knew it and he turned his head so he could see her.  He watched as Edward walked up to stand beside her and there appeared to be a distressed look on his face, but all Winry had done was smile and pat him on the shoulder.
 It was time for the twins to open their gifts, they received a few new toys.  Anna had gotten a new doll house, which Alphonse had picked up for her in town, that displayed little mini living scenes of families, along with another set of children's Alchemy books which was given to her by her father and she was really eager to crack them open and take a look.  She got some stuffed animals, a necklace and bracelet set, a pair of little earrings of gold butterflies and a chess set.
 Brian was happy with his birthday gifts, he had been given a huge erector set that had also been picked up by Alphonse in town, a new extensive tool set from his father.  Books on pottery and some art pencils which he would definitely use to draw up some ingenious plans, he was also given toy trucks, a new lamp since he busted his old one with a ball months ago.  A pogo stick and a checkers set.
 The twins were both very excited about when it would be time to play with their birthday presents and soon it was time for cake.  The triple layer, chocolate chunk with vanilla frosting cake was to die for.  It read in pretty vibrant colors, `Happy Fifth Birthday, Brian and Anna.'  It was decorated with strawberries along the edging.  As soon as they blew out their candles, their great grandmother started to slice it into pieces.
 Jenny walked over to Winry who hadn't so much as spoken with anyone since she and her husband had gotten to the house.  She sat down on the bench beside the young woman and handed her a piece of the cake.
 Smiling softly, Winry accepted the piece.  “Thanks.” She stared at the white frosting.
 “I can tell when something is upsetting you.” Jenny folded her hands in her lap. “Whatever it is, you can talk to me about it.”
 Sighing deeply, Winry placed the plate onto the wooden table.  “Your son knows that the twins are his.” She saw Jenny's face light up.  “I mean, I knew he would someday.  It was stupid of me to not tell him, but what else could I have done?  And now he's really confused me, all over again.” She felt her cheeks heat, “He kind of told me how he feels, but how I do know it's the truth?  How do I know he isn't just going to leave and not come back, like before? How can I trust it, trust myself?”  Leaning over she held her face in her hands and groaned.
 Jenny smiled fondly at the confused young woman.  “Roy made a mistake.  I know that he is sorry for what happened, whatever it was.  I have no idea.  Whatever it is, it should have remained between you two.  We probably shouldn't have meddled into your personal affairs, Winry.  But Gerald and I do want what's best for Roy and we are not your parents but we also want what is best for you.”  She watched Winry closely as the young woman lifted her head, looking right at her.  “You and Roy… you are good for each other.  Don't you see that?”
 “Sometimes I feel that all we are to each other is a reminder of pain, a reminder of mistakes.” Winry looked up at the white clouds rolling by.  “It was partly because of him that I was orphaned, yet, I know he's a good man.  I don't want him to end up hating me because I remind him of all the horrors of his life.”
 Taking a quick glance over at her son who was looking back over at them, “That is certainly not how he sees you, Winry.  I bet if anything you're what can heal his torment, end his pain.”
 “And what about me?” Winry said, sounding pained. “I don't want to end up hating him because I can't trust what he says when I used to so completely.  Even back when things were rough between he and I, I could always trust his word, no matter what.  And now… it's like I can't. My heart wants to, but my head won't let me.”
 Standing up, Jenny with determination reached down and took a hold of Winry's hand and pulled her to her feet.  She was sure Winry let her do that.
 “What are you doing?” Winry asked, confusion swimming in her head.
 With a smile, Jenny started dragging Winry towards Roy and Gerald.  “This is a conversation you need to have with Roy.  If you ever want to get anywhere, even if it's to bring your relationship to an end, everything needs to come out, you need to be honest.  If you're afraid, say so.  Don't hide anything.”
 Once Jenny had brought Winry all the way to the two men, she watched as Winry turned her head a little, to avoid eye contact.
 Winry barely noticed Jenny taking Gerald gently by the arm and steering him away.
 Clearing his throat and gathering what he wanted to say, Roy stared at her.  “I didn't mean to sound so pushy, Winry.  I just don't know how to get you to trust me and it's frustrating.  I want to do right by you.  Call it selfish if you want, but I want all of you, I always have and I know I always will.”
 She let out a long breath. “It's not that I don't want to trust you, I really do… is this even right?  How could you not see me as a never ending nightmare? Something to always remind you of what you lost?”  These were her own insecurities, and she could feel that it was a strong part of her that doesn't want to let go, doesn't want to fall into the emotional connection she felt with him.  Maybe she had folded into herself because she unknowingly knew she wasn't good enough for him, that she would only cause him suffering and pain no matter what he said.
 “Hating you is impossible,” Roy urged gently. “I need you with me. And you and our children do need me.”
 Winry lowered her gaze to the ground, she wanted to say that she didn't need anyone, that she was just fine on her own.  But she would be lying to herself.  She didn't want to think about this right now, this was Brian and Anna's day. A light smile curved her lips and she lifted her head meeting Roy's single gaze, where she held out her hand.  “Walk with me?” she asked, a light blush sprinkling her cheeks.
 From a few feet away, Edward watched with a powerfully pounding heart, Winry and Mustang as the man lifted his hand, with a small smile on the man's face and he curled his hand around Winry's. Edward felt his heart fall into his feet, as the two of them started walking away from the party. He was sure that Winry leaned into Mustang. He didn't like this, not one bit.    
 “Brother?” Alphonse nudged him with his elbow lightly and his brother turned his head to his direction.  “What's wrong?”
 Edward's brow creased as he tried to disguise his pain. “I don't think I have much of a chance with her, not after how that bastard is worming his way back into her head like this.”
 “Maybe this is what she wants?” Alphonse looked in the direction that Winry and the General were going in. 
 Scoffing, Edward shook his head. “She doesn't know what she wants. She's clearly lost her senses.”
 Really not wanting to start a fight here, Alphonse wanted what was best for Winry, no matter who it was, just as long as her choice made her happy. “Just let her figure out what who she wants, Brother.”
 Having a strong feeling that Winry had already made her choice, Edward's eyes narrowed with more determination.  He was going to prove that he was the better choice for her.
 “Just don't do anything stupid, Brother,” Alphonse said with a sigh.
 Edward growled and turned completely to face his little brother. “What makes you think that I will, have you so little faith in your elder brother?” He pointed at himself with his thumb proudly and he saw Alphonse's brow arch while blinking slowly.
 Alphonse snorted, trying not to laugh, “Should I even bother to answer that?”
 Huffing, Edward crossed his arms over his chest. “Oh, never mind,” he growled and looked away from him.
 ****
 It was early evening when the party guests had gone home, and Winry was exhausted laying down on the couch, her arm slung over her eyes.  She could hear Alphonse with the twins in the kitchen as he read along with Anna in one of her new Alchemy books, while Brian tinkered with his new building set. She didn't know where Edward had taken off, he mentioned something about going into town and picking up something there.  He kind of hinted at it being some kind of gift and said that she was sure to like it.
 Hearing footsteps, Winry didn't bother to see who was there.  She felt her a pair of large hands wrap around her ankles and she shifted her arm a little to see who was there.  It was Roy who had her ankles within his palms and he lifted her legs a bit and sat down, putting her feet into his lap. She moved to sit up, but he placed his hand on her knee and gave her a soft smile. 
 “Just relax,” he said in a soft tone. Roy felt her hesitate and then relax and he started removing her shoes, dropping them on the floor. Her little ankle socks were next to join her shoes on the floor. He saw her smile lightly as he pressed his fingers into the arch of her foot.  Always had he been surprised at the constant soft feel of her feet, no matter how long she had stood on them all day.  His fingers spread about the top of her foot, making small circular motions up to her ankle, where he again returned to the bottom and her arch. Most feet were just that, something to stand on and to get you from one place to another, but not hers.  Winry's were like works of art, soft, smooth, pretty. Slender toes that he traced with his forefinger making her squirm a little as it seemed her toes were a ticklish spot and he smiled at her playful reaction.
 “Why do you always spend so much time with my feet?” she asked with slight humor edging her voice.
 “They're nice,” Roy replied with confidence, maybe he did have a teeny, tiny obsession with her tootsies, but he couldn't help it. He really liked touching them. “No one else I know has such wonderful toes, or skin so soft.” Then with a smirk, he said, “They're also attached to a beautiful pair of legs.” And his fingers skimmed her calf muscle and she sighed as he leaned forward and pressing a soft kiss to the spot right where her ankle melded into her leg.
 Winry moved her arm from her eyes, so she could look at him. Would she ever find someone else who could make her feel so special like this? She pulled her ankles from her lap and curled them into her side as she sat up. Stretching her fingers forward her fingers brushed the black material about his face. “If you want me to trust you, Roy, then I want you to trust me with this.” The sides of her fingers stroked the patch there.  She saw his sharp intake of air.
 “How do you mean?” His single gaze dropped to the sofa cushion, knowing what she asked, but not wanting to comply.
 “Show me.” She smiled comfortingly, “Let me see you.” Winry ran her fingers through his hair, playing in his soft raven strands.
 Taking a very noticeable deep breath, Roy nodded once. He didn't want her to see his disgrace, his disfigurement, but if this was a step into having her accept him then he would do it. Only for her, no one else.
 He felt her fingers on his face, and he closed his eye as he felt her slowly lift the black material and pull it upwards, it moved through his hair and his shivered unpleasantly. And then nothing, it was quiet, he couldn't even hear her breathing.
 Placing the mask in her lap, she took a good look at what he was so ashamed about. It really wasn't all that bad. There were a long jagged scar going from his eye lid and slanted down to his cheek, there was another similar scar just below his eye, then there appeared to be a wide yet slender groove going right across his cheek.
 Her hand touched his shoulder and she pressed into him, her breasts brushing against his arm as she leaned closer.  The next thing he felt was her warm lips brushing across his scars and he shivered again. “Winry…” His voice was barely above a whisper.
 Winry smoothed her hand through his hair, and lightly traced his scars. “It's not that terrible, Roy. And then he opened his eye, it was gray and lifeless, but it still was not as hideous as he had thought. But perhaps that was only how he saw it, because of that had happened and he can't see it any other way. She wrapped her arms around him and he turned to her, leaning into her embrace where he buried his face against her. His hands coming up to clutch her shoulders and hold her tighter. Winry petted his hair back, letting him cuddle into her as much as he needed.
 “What I hate most about it, is the reminder of how I had been used by that damn homunculus, how ignorant I had been to what was really going on.”
 She let out a smooth breath. “You can't focus on that, Roy. You did a good thing. You should be proud of these battle scars. I am.” Tears escape her eyes, she could feel his pain, she wanted to take it from him. “You have done so much, helped so many people in removing the dangerous threat from power. You restored faith in our government.  We are not subject to constant war after war where you in a sense saved other families, other sons and daughters from losing their loved ones.”
 He lifted his head a little. “You really aren't disgusted?”
 With a kind smile and tears still in her eyes, she pressed her palm to the side of his face, her thumb brushing along his scar.  “I've never known you to be this insecure, Roy. I am not disgusted, not even close.”
 “I don't want to disappoint you,” he said honestly and lifted up more.  “I don't want to ruin your opinion of me.”
 “That's silly.” She framed his face with both her hands.  “You're silly. Don't you know me well enough to know that nothing will change my opinion of you?  You really don't need to be afraid of me?”
 “Then why are you afraid of me?” He pressed his forehead against hers.  “I'm not going anywhere, not this time.  You can trust that and you can trust me.”
 Winry inhaled deeply as she held him tightly.  Could she trust him? She wanted to, she wanted to give into her true feelings.  And maybe, her firm, hard resolve was starting to melt. It was melting for Roy Mustang all over again.
 ======
I hope you all liked this episode/chapter. Just about three chapters left till this is over. I had posted my Riza/Fuery fanfiction, it's called Rhapsody, I hope you all check it out.
Thanks for reading
Ryoko Blue