Gensomaden Saiyuki Fan Fiction / Saiyuki Reload Fan Fiction / Saiyuki Reload Gunlock Fan Fiction ❯ Episode1: Truly,Madly,Deeply ❯ Ungrantable Wish ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

XVII. UNGRANTABLE WISH
 
In which Gojyo unwittingly brings disaster upon the ikkou when he chats up the kid that he saved from thugs in the marketplace.
 
 
A.
 
Nani?! Hakuryu's sick?
 
Yeah, she has a fever, too.
 
Maybe she caught a cold?” Goku kneels worriedly beside the mini-dragon.
 
“Maybe she has a hangover from all the bars she visits…”
 
Hakkai glares at Gojyo. The kappa shrugs. “You ought to break her out of that habit, Hakkai. Seriously.”
 
Hakkai sighs. “Ever since she tasted those alcohol-filled chocolates from Befanini Magazine***, she thinks she can find them at every bar…”
 
(***A/N: See Saiyuki Boys, Bared, by same author. Available at FF.net.)
 
“Anyway,” Gojyo says, “She has to rest.
 
Well, Sanzo, is it all right if we stay in this town for a few days?” Hakkai consults their leader.
 
Aa. We won't get too far on foot, anyway. We don't have a choice.
 
Yosh!” Hakkai beams. “So…” He holds up a piece of paper in front of Gojyo's nose.
 
What's this, then?” Gojyo blinks suspiciously.
 
A shopping list, of course.” Hakkai smiles serenely.
 
Gojyo scowls. “Oi, come with me, saru…
 
Nope. You two always buy things we don't need.” Hakkai wags his finger. “Like firecrackers and chocolate-flavored bath bubbles…”
 
“Eh, Goku's firecrackers, maybe, but me and my baby, we *need* the bath bubbles…” Gojyo grins.
 
“Nonetheless!” Hakkai barks in his sternest schoolteacher tone.
 
“Okay, okay…” Gojyo mutters. He pauses by Sanzo's chair, kneading Sanzo's nape. “Ikuzo, sweets…”
 
Golden eyebrows levitate. “You know I don't stoop to doing domestic chores, love,” Sanzo drawls sweetly. He holds up the gold card instead. “Get me some cigarettes too…
 
Gojyo scowls.
 
“Oh, go on and hurry back,” Sanzo orders impatiently. “Get us some new *flavors*, then we'll try them out… charge it on the AnEx.” Sanzo grins.
 
Gojyo's eyes light up. “You nasty priest…” he growls.
 
“You dirty water imp…” Sanzo growls back.
 
They stare at each other. Then the chair crashes to the floor as the kappa and the priest stumble to the bathroom, mouths locked.
 
“OI! I need those groceries by 5 pm!” Hakkai calls.
 
“We'll just be an hour,” Sanzo mumbles against Gojyo's lips. The kappa kicks the door shut.
 
“Yare yare…”
 
 
B.
 
Gojyo walks the market lanes, laden with shopping bags. “That sneaky buttercup… blinding me with passion…” he scowls. “I'm STILL not their errand boy, dammit!
 
He spies a commotion in the corner. He walks over absent-mindedly. “And they ran out of bubble bath, too…”
 
The kappa raises a long, long leg and sends the thug sprawling on his face. “And what's with him beeping my pager every ten minutes? Why can't my angel trust me for once?” His eyebrows knit. “Trust is the foundation of a true, meaningful, loving relationship, that's what Dr. Phil says on Hakkai's favorite TV program…” He deftly avoids a fist aimed at his face. “On top of everything, my angel *still* refuses to grant my wish of having his baby…”
 
I'll KILL you!” the other thug snarls.
 
Gojyo slowly turns his head and gives the goon a cool stare. “Really?” He arches a crimson eyebrow. “Let me tell you first, I'm in a *really* bad mood right now…
 
 
C.
 
Here. Drink up.” Gojyo hands the kid a can of soda. “Why aren't you with your mom and dad anyway? Are you alone?
 
The blue-eyed, blond-haired, angel-faced little boy shakes his head. “My parents died…” he mumbles.
 
Gojyo feels his heart pound. Maybe *this* is Tenkai's answer to his prayers! Adoption!
 
… I have a twin brother, though. We're *best* friends!” Kinkaku beams.
 
Gojyo's eyes widen. Maybe Ginkaku is a redhead with an impish face and wine-colored eyes! Just perfect! Gojyo sighs blissfully as he loses himself in his fantasy.
 
Kinkaku tugs at the hem of his jacket. “Ne, onii-chan! You're really strong! You beat those three guys up all by yourself!”
 
Heh. That's nothing compared to these guys I'm traveling with…
 
Your friends?” Kinkaku asks innocently.
 
Er… I wouldn't exactly say *that*…” Gojyo fumbles for the right words. “Let's see… There's this bakazaru with a stomach for brains…” Goku's whining face pops into his mind. “Then there's this nagging guy like a mother hen…” A vision of Hakkai reprimanding Gojyo for using an empty beer can for an ashtray floods his mind. He scowls, the bad mood descending again.
 
And then there's this arrogant High Priest…” Gojyo sighs. “The love of my life…”
 
BEEP! BEEP! Gojyo frowns and withdraws his pager. He reads.
 
`You better not be flirting around, you goddamn kappa. Where are my smokes? XxxOOOxxx GS.'
 
“Hmm. Seems like your sweetie is a jealous type of guy,” Kinkaku comments, peering at the message.
 
“Ano… Hehehe…” Gojyo laughs weakly.
 
You don't like them very much, do you?
 
Eh? It's not that I don't *like* them—
 
But they make you go shopping…” Kinkaku gestures to the numerous bags. “And seems like your lover doesn't trust you very much.” Kinkaku nods. “They're *bad* people.
 
Ano, that's because - er—I'm not really a *good* person myself,” Gojyo mutters. “I haven't really given him much reason to trust me,” he says shamefacedly. But suddenly his face lights up. “But I bet all that will change, if you agree to my plan…”
 
“Huh?”
 
“It's like this…” Gojyo begins happily.
 
D.
 
He's *late*!” Sanzo scowls, drumming the tabletop with his fingertips. Goku lies on his back, tossing the supposedly-sick Hakuryu. (Harahetta!)
 
Hakkai sweatdrops. “Ah… Maybe I shouldn't have let him go alone… Hehehe…” (Harahetta!)
 
'Ch.” Sanzo tilts his chin defiantly. “I don't give a damn. I just want my cigarettes!” he growls, violet eyes murderous. (Harahetta!)
 
“Demo, Sanzo, I'm *sure* Gojyo has a good reason for being delayed so long…” Hakkai tries to defend the poor kappa. (Harahetta!)
 
“None of your business!” Sanzo hisses, images of Gojyo barhopping and flirting with pretty ladies and hunky guys dancing in his head. (Harahetta!)
 
Knock-knock!
 
Hai, hai!” Hakkai goes to the door. (Harahetta!)
 
THWAK!
 
“URUSEI! You're getting on my already frayed nerves! “ Sanzo spits. He glares at Hakuryu too. “And *you*, I thought you were sick? You're well enough to play with the idiot monkey but not well enough to travel, is that it?!?”
 
“Kyuuu…”
 
Meanwhile, Hakkai kneels and smiles at Kinkaku. “Are you here to see us?
 
“Hai!” Kinkaku beams. “Gojyo-chan said Sanzo-chan would adopt us, then nobody has to get pregnant!”
 
Sweatdrop. “Er…”
 
Goggle. “Eh?”
 
Squeak. “Kyu?”
 
TWITCH. “NANDA TO?!”
 
 
E.
 
Shit, it's late…” Gojyo jogs. “I had to go to the next village to find the bath bubbles… My baby is gonna *kill* me…”
 
He throws open the door. “Honey, I'm home!” he trumpets, then stares. The bags fall unheeded to the floor. He shakes his head in denial. “Korewa… korewa yume da…” (“This is a dream…”)
 
He staggers over to Goku and Hakkai, shaking them gently. “Hakkai… Goku…” he gasps, eyes stinging. He turns glazed eyes to Sanzo, stumbles over and falls on his knees. “Baby…” he breathes brokenly. “Iie…”
 
They were bad people after all, just like I told you!
 
Gojyo whips around and sees a pouting, sulking Kinkaku. “You said Sanzo would welcome me with open arms! You said he would be *delighted!*” Kinkaku accuses. “Instead he threatened to shoot me for being so p… pre… p-r-e-s-u-m-p-t-u-o-u-s,” Kinkaku spells with difficulty.
 
“I can't believe you did this,” Gojyo says, still shocked.
 
“Oh, I had a little help from Ginkaku…” Kinkaku grins evilly. Ginkaku steps out from the shadows.
 
Gojyo goggles, all his fantasies of a sweet, impish, redheaded little boy dashed. He gnashes his teeth, as he realizes how he's managed to royally screw up, yet again.
 
Yup… I've killed the people you didn't like… `A bakazaru with stomach for brains'… `The nagging mother hen'…and `The arrogant High Priest'. It's what you wanted, isn't it?
 
Gojyo runs his hands down his face. “Why. WHY do people always put words into my mouth? Nande???” Gojyo grips Jakujou. “You little brat,” he spits.
 
Ginkaku charges. BANG! He gets a bullet to the shoulder.
 
Sanzo!” Gojyo gasps. ”You're *alive*…” He moves to hold Sanzo in his arms, but…
 
“*I* get the pleasure of killing him, not you!” Sanzo informs the huge youkai. Sanzo glares daggers at Gojyo.
 
“O-oi…”
 
 
F.
 
Oi. Where the hell do you think you're going?
 
To clean up my mess… First thing to do is to find that kid…”
 
Matte.” Sanzo gets up and walks over.
 
Sanzo…” Gojyo sighs, closing his eyes and pursing his lips for a goodbye kiss. But a cool breeze wafts past him as Sanzo brushes past.
 
I'm going with you.
 
“Sanzo…” Gojyo's eyes shine.
 
“…I won't have you flirting around with every goddamn barmaid and bartender in town…”
 
“So sweet…” Gojyo snickers.
 
Sanzo pins him with a frosty glare. “Save it. I'm *done* with you.”
 
“H—huh?”
 
“I'm only doing this for Goku and Hakkai.”
 
“No!”
 
“Can you spell D-U-M-P-E-D, kappa?”
 
“NO!!!”
 
G.
 
Bar. A stony Sanzo and a miserable Gojyo get information from the barkeep. Gojyo beseeches Sanzo, but the monk remains steely.
 
“Your story about adopting those kids is total bullshit.”
 
“No it's not, dammit!”
 
“Huh.” Sanzo quotes icily. “'Damn, it's a kid… I wanted a *pretty lady* to thank me with a kiss…'”
 
“Are!?” Gojyo goggles, flabbergasted.
 
Sanzo arches a golden eyebrow coolly. “How? Buddha told me,” he spits.
 
“K'so…”
 
They thank the barkeep and stand up. Wolfwhistles surround them.
 
“Oi, redhead, that's a *pretty* girlfriend you've got there...”
 
“C'mere, Beautiful…”
 
Gojyo glares murderously at the thugs, but Sanzo gnashes his teeth. “And exactly why am *I* the girlfriend, pray tell?”
 
“Who knows… Might be those robes, or maybe because you're acting like a goddamn snow queen at the moment?”
 
Say that again if you want to see hell, kappa,” Sanzo dares coldly.
 
I'll gladly go to hell if I get to go with a *pretty lady*, you arrogant priest!” Gojyo taunts, still stung by the monk's accusation.
 
BANG!
 
Huh! I know how you move, baka!” Gojyo glares. “In bed and out of it!”
 
You haven't sense enough to tell I missed you on purpose? Fool!” Sanzo snarls.
 
“I should have known from the start that Sagittarians and Scorpios aren't compatible!” Gojyo bites out. “I never got along with you from the start!
 
Urusei! That's *my* line! If not for the Sanbutsushin's orders I never would have gone on a trip with a horny water beetle like yourself!
 
Well, why don't you examine yourself?
 
Let's go outside and settle this once and for all!”
 
“Let's go *upstairs* and settle this once and for all!” Gojyo glares, nose to nose with Sanzo. The perpetual, volatile chemistry crackles and sparks between them.
 
“Fine!” Sanzo snaps, and walks off.
 
Gojyo pauses at the bar to rent a room for an hour.
 
The thugs gape. “They really *are* lovers…”
 
BANG!
 
“Urusei!!!”
 
“…Or… or maybe not? … Hehehe…”
 
 
H.
 
A rumpled Gojyo and a disheveled Sanzo start up the path to the mountain. Gojyo wears a sated, smug grin. “You know what angel, you're so HOT when you're angry…”
 
“I'm *not* your angel anymore,” Sanzo growls.
 
“Eh, you've said that before…”
 
“I mean it this time,” Sanzo warns. “If you try anything stupid, I'll kill you.
 
Well, that's encouraging…” The unquenchable kappa grins saucily.