Gensomaden Saiyuki Fan Fiction ❯ Crimson ties ❯ Train Ride ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Excuse me. Sir? Sir! Excuse me, sir!”
 
Hakkai jolted awake and glanced up at a store clerk. She didn't seem too happy with him. Hakkai looked down and found that he had fallen asleep in a book. Once again. He smiled sheepishly at the clerk and rose from his chair.
 
“I'm sorry, sir. We're closing. Please take any purchases to the front counter. Thank you for shopping Book World. Have a nice evening.” The woman rattled off before turning heel and leaving him alone.
 
Hakkai sighed as he picked up the books he had been looking over. He set them back in their appropriate spots before leaving. Before he left, he took two of the books and purchased them. He walked down the moist pavement into the cool evening. He hadn't felt this at peace in a while. Hakkai stopped off at the store to get groceries needed for dinner.
 
Hakkai carried the bags to his apartment. It was along the outskirts of the city but it was quiet. Hakkai had hated that mansion with a passion. It was sold to some upper crust aristocrat a few days later. That was over three months ago, though. Then, he moved back into his apartment in the Honshu (1) area. Even though he was close to the old capital (2), he still felt a certain amount of peace there.
 
Unfortunately, he had found that certain things began to plague him. He had a recurring dream of his time at the mansion. The time when he exchanged blood with that mysterious man with blonde hair. Many of his coworkers at his job had told him to ignore it while others told him to get a dream dictionary because it was a sign from the heavens. Either way, Hakkai didn't lose any sleep over it except when he slept.
 
He switched the bags over to his other hand and fished around in his pockets for his keys. He cursed when he came up with nothing.
 
`Oh dear. This is quite a predicament.' Hakkai mused in his mind as he caught the train. He set the bags down on the seat and settled in. The train gained momentum and soon they were on their way.
 
Hakkai sat quietly and watched the scenery pass by. He smiled at sight of a slowly dying town and relaxed.
 
“How peaceful.” He mumbled to himself.
“The charm of a small town, eh?”
 
Hakkai turned abruptly and his vision was assaulted by red. He looked up and found soft red eyes staring back at him. The man's lips curved into a smile as he glanced over Hakkai slowly. Hakkai swallowed softly as he watched the man. His lean frame made the man appear taller. The fact that Hakkai was sitting down was also a factor. The man's crimson hair created a veil around his face as he leaned in close to Hakkai. The red eyes seemed to bore into his own as he smiled at Hakkai. Hakkai smiled back at him weakly, not really sure what to do.
 
“Hey… Mind if I sit here?” he drawled softly, his warm breath tickling Hakkai's ear.
 
Hakkai shook his head in consent and moved his things over to make room for the man. The red head smiled and unceremoniously flopped down on the seat. Hakkai shook his head softly before turning his attention back to the window.
 
`Well…. He's a cutie… I think I'll enjoy this very much.' The man thought, smiling softly and putting an arm over Hakkai's part of the seat.
 
Hakkai jolted alert when he saw the red head's hand. He turned to him, receiving a soft smile from the man.
 
“So… My name's Gojyo. Do you have a name or will I have to keep calling you `you'?” he laughed lightly, staring into his eyes again.
“It's Hakkai. Cho Hakkai. A pleasure to meet you.” he smiled, offering his hand to Gojyo.
 
Gojyo took and shook it gently. His hand lingered there for a while before he placed it back on his lap. Hakkai raised an eyebrow skeptically before shrugging off Gojyo's behavior.
 
“So… Tell me. What's a guy like you doing on a train like this?” Gojyo chuckled, grinning at him.
“That lines been used before, you realize. I'm on my way home. I live in a suburb near Kyoto.” Hakkai explained, rolling his eyes at Gojyo.
“Oh… I see. Anyone there waiting for you?” he asked, adjusting his position.
“…No, not really.”
“Ah… You work in Kyoto or something? I don't know maybe you…”
“You really are a nosy character, aren't you, Gojyo-san?” Hakkai posed to him, looking him square in the eye.
“Not usually. You intrigue me. Not only that, but small talk eases the tension between people. You probably knew that though.” Gojyo countered, giving a dazzling smile to prove his point.
“We've only just met and already I intrigue you? A bit odd if you ask me.” Hakkai sniffed lightly, arching an eyebrow at him.
“If it makes any difference, I knew you long before I met you…” Gojyo whispered softly, leaning in closer to Hakkai and wrapping his arm around Hakkai's shoulders.
“What are you doing?!” Hakkai stammered as he tried to push Gojyo away.
“Nothing, really… Just this…”
 
Gojyo leaned down, kissing Hakkai gently before deepening it. Hakkai struggled against Gojyo but Gojyo held onto Hakkai, biting into his lip until he tasted blood. Hakkai bit down hard on Gojyo's lip, glaring death into surprised red orbs. He pushed his attacker away. There was blood on his lips but he wasn't sure if it was his or Gojyo's.
 
“What the hell is the matter with you, you freakin' spaz?” Gojyo panted, glaring at Hakkai.
“Me? What about you?! You're the one trying to kiss me!!!” he yelled at the red head.
 
By now, everyone was watching this scene with a mixture of surprise and confusion. Murmurs of `lover's quarrel' and a few remarks of `noisy couple' soon began to fill the quiet car. Gojyo leapt up and covered Hakkai's mouth, slowly moving him to the next car with his bags. Once in the vacant car, Hakkai punched Gojyo in the stomach and pushed him, causing him to trip and fall onto the floor. Gojyo lay on the floor, coughing and panting for breath.
 
“Shit! What did I do to you?” Gojyo gasped, clutching his stomach.
“You kissed me and made a fool of me in front of those people! Believe me, I have plenty of reason to do what I did.” Hakkai snorted, picking up his bags and walking back to the previous car.
“You mean, you don't know? I thought he told you.” Gojyo inquired.
“Who is he?” Hakkai shot back, feeling frustrated by the entire scene.
“… Wait a minute…”
 
Gojyo pushed up Hakkai's left shirtsleeve and scrutinized it carefully. The blood drained from his face and his lips twitched slightly. He backed away from Hakkai, cursing fluidly in a tongue Hakkai didn't understand.
 
“I-I'm so sorry… I thought…. Shit. I thought you were already marked. He's going to kill me… Forget. Forget this moment; forget me, and everything that happened between us. I would really appreciate it. Well… Later.” Gojyo stammered, heading for the door.
“What? You just kissed me against my will and you want me to forget? I have half a mind to report you to the police.” Hakkai shot back at him, his anger slowly reaching the boiling point.
“They won't believe your story… Besides, I'm the least of your troubles. I'm sorry. Really, really sorry. I'm going to give you a piece of advice, though. Think of it as a parting gift.” Gojyo told him, smirking at him.
“Oh really? And what might this advice be?” Hakkai countered, approaching him.
“Don't trust easily of others. But you already knew that. Right, Mr. Mystic?”
“What? Mystic? What on earth are you talking about?”
 
Gojyo smiled at Hakkai and opened the door of the moving train. Hakkai moved over to him before Gojyo stopped him with an outstretched hand. Hakkai tilted his head and stared at the man.
 
“Who are you?” he asked softly.
“Who, me? I'm just your average half-breed. Take care now. Later.” Gojyo winked and jumped from the car. Hakkai rushed forward to stop him but he was already out by the time he reached the door. He looked out side the door to see if he had fallen during his daring stunt. A befuddled Hakkai stared in amazement as Gojyo stood on the tracks and waved at him.
 
`What is going on?' he thought silently.
 
 
“Last stop. Kawagashi. Last stop. All off.”
 
Hakkai jolted awake and looked around him. He was a bit bewildered and watched the other riders file out. He picked up his bags and got off the train.
 
`It… was all a dream?' he thought as he left the station and stood on a vacant sidewalk.
 
Hakkai walked absently down the slowly darkening street. He mulled over what he believed had happened on the train. By now, he wasn't sure what was reality anymore.
 
`I guess everything was just a dream. Yet, it all seemed so real. Even that so called `half-demon' Gojyo. Ha. I think I need to take sleeping pills or something. This lack of sleep is starting to get to me.' He thought as he approached his apartment building. He smiled fondly at the structure, wanting only food and sleep.
`Ah. Home. Wait… Oh dear… I'm afraid I forgot my keys inside. Great…' Hakkai grimaced as he jiggled the doorknob. The door opened slightly and his eyes widened in surprise.
`The door? But how…?'
 
Hakkai entered the apartment. He felt along the wall trying to find the light switch. He flipped it on and began to put the groceries away. Once he finished that task, he went to the living room. He blindly searched for the light switch again, smiling when found. He flipped it on and reeled in shock.
Currently lounging on Hakki's couch was the man who had haunted his dreams as of late. (No pun intended)
 
The blonde haired man looked up and smiled sweetly at Hakkai. Hakkai shivered at the smile, sinking down to his knees.
 
`This can't be happening…. Can it?' he thought quietly in his mind.
“Believe me, Hakkai. I'm as happy to see you as you are to see me.” The man sniffed disdainfully at him.