Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Transformers Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Pandora's Box ❯ The Stocks ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: You know the drill, I don't own Inuyasha and company, I also don't own anything else unless I specify it. I do though own the character Burt Gummer (not the one from Tremors).
The Stocks
Starring:
Inuyasha
Kagome
Miroku
Sango
Shippo
Kirara
Guest Staring:
Burt Gummer (not from Tremors)
The Blunder Bros.
Krematoad
Clanktrap
Inuyasha lead the group toward a village, where they hoped to get some rest after a long journey. As they neared the village they saw many people about and as soon as they saw Inuyasha and Shippo began shouting.
"Hey you demons, get out of here, you're not welcome" shouted one villager.
"Yeah go back home, you're not welcome here" shouted another.
"And take your friends with you" yet another villager shouted. The villagers then began to throw various objects at them. Inuyasha and the others quickly left. They stopped at a small grove of trees just outside of the villager's eyesight.
"I can't believe they've thrown us out like that." Kagome said angrily.
"There is nothing we can do about it, Lady Kagome." Miroku said.
"Yeah just forget about it." Sango said, trying to cheer her up.
"Well I won't stand for it. We need supplies bad, so I'm going back" Kagome said and headed back to the village. A shadowed figure watched everything take place and headed back toward the village also.
As Kagome walked back to the village she got a number of weird looks and stares. As she walked up to a cart to buy some fruit a villager hollered out.
"Hey she was with those demons earlier, get her" as soon as she was noticed two other villagers grabbed her by the arms and hauled her off. They took to the back of an old building and promptly set her down. They then placed her feet in stocks and leaned her head and shoulders forward. They then placed her head and hands to a pillory like apparatus connected to the building.
"Hey let me go I didn't do anything, let me out." she then began to struggle against her holdings, but she soon got tired. A mob of villagers began to form nearby. The villagers then proceeded to throw various items frits and vegetables at her. Most of the throws were poorly aimed and hit against the wall of the building or the stocks. Even though the fruit wasn't hitting her, the debris from the impact, such as juices and various small chunks of the original did hit their intended target. Not less than one piece of flying food hit her in the stomach though, taking her breathe away. Suddenly a loud boom rang out and a flying lettuce head burst asunder.
"If one more piece of fruit is thrown at her, the thrower will be in need of serious medical attention." said a young man holding a very large gun to his shoulder. The villagers then dropped the remaining food items and quickly dispersed.
"Gummer, what have I told you about interfering in public matters" a short fat man asked emerging from around the building.
"Twitch, you know how I feel about your discrimination of demons and anyone associated with them."
"Look this is my village, I'm the elder, and I'll do things the way I see fit."
"And prosecute any demon and person associated with them"
"Yes, demons are not allowed in my village, I don't like them. They bring in trouble."
"And I suppose innocent little girls bring trouble too."
"They do when they're associated with a demon."
"Well then at least leave her go." said Gummer gesturing toward Kagome who had been listening to the argument.
"Now you know I can't do that."
"Then release her under my protection."
"Fine, fine she's yours, but if I see her or any of her friends in town without you, there's nothing I can do for them." said Twitch as he walked off, his right eye beginning to twitch slightly.
"Wow, thanks mister, uh, what was your name again" Kagome said politely.
"My name's Matt, but my friends call me Burt Gummer." Gummer then proceeded to draw a pistol from his belt and smashed the locks and the stocks and pillory.
"Thanks again, Mr. Gummer." Kagome said and began to walk back toward the main center of the village.
"Whoa, where do you think you're going" Gummer asked.
"Back to my friends." Kagome replied.
"I can't let you do that; didn't you hear what Twitch said? Those villagers'll tear you to pieces, they hate demons and anyone associated with them. Besides you're a mess. I'll take you back to my place. That way you can wash out your clothes and get cleaned up, you look like a walking fruit salad"
"That's it? That's your place" Kagome asked astonished.
"Yep, that's it alright." Gummer replied. Kagome couldn't believe what she was looking at. A huge mansion stood before her, all made of wood. It was humongous.
"You made this yourself" she finally asked.
"Sure did, took about a year, but considering all that it has, it's been well worth it." he replied. As they walked into the house Kagome could not believe how cool it was inside. It was after all in the dead of summer, yet this house felt air conditioned.
"Is this air conditioned" she asked, feeling rather silly.
"Yep, a neat little trick I picked up from one of the late presidents of the United States."
"Then you are from the future too." she stated.
"Yup, sure am."
"So how is this place air conditioned"
"In my basement I dug a large well with a drain. Every winter I go to the frozen lakes and cut large chunks of ice and put them down the well. A block of ice, then a layer of straw, a block of ice, then a layer of straw and so forth and so on, until the well is filled to the top. During the winter the ice keeps frozen, but when spring rolls around, then the whole house is cooled by ventilation ducts coming from the well. Thomas Jefferson used this method on his plantation."
"Wow." was all Kagome could manage.
"Bathroom's down the hall and to your left if you want to get cleaned up. Washroom is right next door." Gummer said.
"You have your own running water" Kagome asked.
"Yep, dug my own personal spring."
"Neat." Kagome said as she entered into the bathroom. A little later when she was all cleaned up she began to ask Gummer more questions.
"So what do you do for a living" she asked.
"Well I'm sort of an exterminator. I take care of any demon that tries to bring harm to the village. The same goes for any other monster that is not common."
"What do you mean 'monster'"
"Well that would encompass anything that is not human, animal, or demon. Normally though it's just a Graboid every once in a while."
"Graboid" Kagome exclaimed in shock "You mean the giant man eating worms! I thought that was just a movie."
"Nope, it's not just a movie, it's a reality. They believe that Ass Blasters are where the English, Chinese, and Japanese get their myths about dragons that breathe fire" gummer replied "Keep in mind that is just a theory."
"I don't suppose you have electricity here do you"
"No that is the one thing I am lacking in, although, I do have an underground fridge. Powered by the same method I incorporated for air conditioning."
"Where did you get all your weapons and ammo"
"The weapons I had on me at the time I came here. The ammo, well I taught a woodcrafter in the next village over about bullets and how to make wood versions that do the same as their metal counterparts."
"How did you get here, I mean in the feudal era of Japan."
"That, not even I`m sure of" at that moment Gummer was cut off by a bell tinkling.
"Uh-oh." he said.
"What's that mean"
"It means we have trespassers" he said tension rising in his voice "Follow me to the safe room."
Gummer and Kagome walked into a rather small room with a number of large wooden switches on the wall. Gummer proceeded to view through a periscope like mechanism coming down from the ceiling.
"Damn, I thought I taught those two a lesson." Gummer said annoyed.
"Taught who a lesson" Kagome asked.
"The two Blunder Brothers, Kilt and Smilt. A couple of stupid demons who couldn't find their way out of a wet paper bag."
"What are the switches for" Kagome asked.
"Those are my security system, pull that one on the far left." Gummer said pointing to the usually large switch.
"What does it do"
"Oh nothing much, just gives our friends a little bit of homemade tear gas." he replied with a smile. He turned a looked into his periscope and laugh at the sight of the two demons in their distress. “That'll teach 'em to come traipsing around on my property without permission" Kagome sat down looking a little stressed.
"You ok? Look a little weary." Gummer asked, concerned for his new found friend.
"I'm just a little nervous that's all." she replied.
"Here have a shot of this." Gummer said handing her a small squeeze bottle.
"What is it" she asked.
"Just a little something to clear your head." with that said, Kagome tilted her head back a gave the bottle a squeeze. Suddenly her eyes widened and a shocked look came across her face.
"Whoa, that was sour"
"Ha ha, a little shot of lemon juice in its most concentrated form. Not only does it wake you up, it's also good to cure a hangover." Kagome looked at him questioningly. He couldn't be anymore than 16, how would he know about hangovers?
"What? There are more people that drink in this village than meets the eye. I've had to administer that lemon juice on a number of occasions to help hangovers. It really works." he said. "So your friends are probably getting a little bit worried by now, seein' as you haven't returned."
"Yeah I guess they would be I should go to them."
"That's alright I'll go. I know where they are, I was out checking my Graboid Monitoring System when I heard you and your friends talking. That's how I knew where you'd be." Gummer said.
"Thanks, I appreciate it; I don't really feel safe going to that village again anyway."
"You won't have to worry, they won't bother you here. I'll tell your friends that you are ok, and that they are to meet us in the next village to the east in 2 days. They aren't safe here at this one anymore." Gummer said and turned and headed out the front door.
As Inuyasha and the group were patiently waiting (as patiently as Inuyasha can wait) they saw young boy approaching them dressed in 'weird' clothes. As he approached the group began to wonder who he was and what he was doing out here.
"Hello, I'm looking for an Inuyasha, do any of you know where I might find him" he asked.
"I am Inuyasha." Inuyasha said stepping forward.
"Good, I was sent to look for you I have good news." said the boy.
"Oh really and what might that good news be" Inuyasha asked growing angry.
"Hang on; first let's get your name." Miroku said before Inuyasha had a chance to lose his temper.
"Well I guess you could call me Burt Gummer, at least that's what your friend calls me." Gummer said introducing himself as best he could.
"Ok Gummer, what is the good news" Inuyasha asked again his temper beginning to flare.
"Well your friend, Kagome was captured by some angry villagers" he began as everyone tensed up.
"If they harm one hair on her head I'll kill them all" Inuyasha exploded.
"Easy let me finish, she's unharmed. Luckily I was nearby and was able to save her, they would have almost assuredly torn her to pieces. She's under my protection for the time being. She's at my house probably getting something to eat as we speak."
"Ok Mr. Gummer what do you want us to do" Sango asked.
"Please call me Burt, for right now though all I want you to do is move your camp to the other side of the hill down there, your not safe this close to the village. Legally I can't take you all under my protection, so I was going to go to a village about a day and a half's walk from here due east. I'll met you there with Kagome on the sunrise of the morning of the day after next" they all sort of stared at him for a second"If that's ok with you guys that is, I mean it's the safest place for miles..." he trailed off.
"Fine." Inuyasha said with disinterest.
"Aww, I wanted to see Kagome though." whined Shippo.
"It's ok you'll see her soon, I promise." Gummer said.
"Really" Shippo looked at him with sad eyes.
"Really, and if you don't see her in two days you can hunt me down and bit my nose off, how's that sound" Gummer said
"Deal." Shippo replied.
"He'll hold you to that you know." Sango said.
"I should hope so, I'm not about to endanger your friend unnecessarily, for any reason." Gummer said and walked back toward the village. Inuyasha and the rest moved their camp to the other side of the hill after much arguing.
Gummer walked in the house and looked for Kagome who was still exploring the large house. When he finally found her he asked
"You get something to eat"
"Yeah, I hope you don't mind." Kagome replied.
"'Course not; I keep enough food stored here to feed and supply a small army. I've got enough tricks, gadgets, gizmos, and weaponry to win a small war too, but that's beside the point."
"Hey I was wondering something Gummer, where do you keep your weapons at anyway"
"Please call me Burt; anyway I've got a gun case for them."
"Oh, I see. Say, did you ever have a computer, I mean before you came here"
"Yeah I used to not anymore though; I had to download her memory onto a writable storage disc when I found out about a virus that could wipe my system clean. I only had one choice and that was to download my memory onto the disc. Unfortunately the virus found its way to my computer, she died a horrible death, the motherboard, monitor, and CPU all fried. An unfortunate twist of fate." suddenly, a set of wooden cups on a string shook and made noise.
"What was that" Kagome asked
"Trouble" Burt replied.
"Damn" Burt swore.
"What did that sound earlier mean" Kagome asked, they were back in the safe room.
"It meant that we have intruders and they've managed to get by my first set of automatic traps." Burt said as he peered through the periscope.
"What'll we do" she asked.
"This said Burt as he moved over to the switches on the wall a pulled one. Outside a couple of demons were walking toward the house when a wall shot up, made of pointy metal objects. One called Krematoad cut right through it.
"Heh, nice shot Krematoad." said the other Clanktrap, in a deep and husky voice.
"Thank you Clanktrap now let's get this guy for what he did to poor Kilt and Smilt.
"Damned S.O.B.'s they got through my net" exclaimed Burt now growing angry. He then proceeded to pull every reaming switch on the wall.
"That ought to keep busy for a while." Burt said triumphantly. Suddenly there was a loud crash. Burt peered through the periscope again and pushed it back into place. He then opened up a small door and got out a briefcase.
"What's that for" Kagome asked.
"They've broken through all my defenses and they'll be knocking on our front door in about two minuets, it's time for plan B." he said and went out of the room and to the wall just left of the door. Opened a skinny door and stepped inside. Kagome followed him out.
"I'm going to light the fuse here, we'll have about sixty seconds to get as far away from the house as we can." Burt said.
"Why"
"Because I've had everything in the house treated with a special compound to burn in case something like this would happen. That and everything is lined with fireworks, it'll be one hell of a show."
"Get ready to run." Burt said and he lit a match. He placed the match on a line of gunpowder and shouted
"Go" Burt grabbed Kagome by the hand and led her out behind his house. A small river flowed there and went over a small waterfall and into a small lake below. The gunpowder was steadily burning away. Burt led them to the edge of the waterfall.
"Trust me about his one." he said. Kagome gave a nod and they jumped.
They landed with a big splash and as they resurfaced Burt looked up to his house just as an earth shattering explosion was heard and his house blew asunder.
"Down" he said and Kagome ducked under the water as various pieces of flying objects landed in the water. Again they resurfaced and Burt swam over to retrieve the tan hat he had been wearing, as it floated on the rippled water.
"Oh no your briefcase" Kagome said with a hint of sorrow for Burt and his loss.
"Not to worry its water proof." He then looked up and saw that there was a smoldering section of his house that still stood.
"Well huh, I wonder why that didn't go too" he questioned. As if to answer his question the small wooden structure exploded, but not before sending a black metal object hurling down the one side of the falls.
"My gun cabinet" Burt exclaimed and climbed out of the water and walked over to it. Kagome followed, carrying his briefcase. "Oh, thanks Kagome, you can set it down if you want."
"So what all is in here anyway" she asked. Burt opened the cabinet to show her.
"My Grizzly Big Boar, my automatic weapons, my side arms, my ammo." he said and pointed to each different object as he said them. "My briefcase please." he said politely. "Thank you" he said as Kagome handed it to him. He then proceeded to place several ammo clips inside of it, then placed two side arms into holsters on his side, strapped an automatic rifle to his back and lifted the Grizzly 50 cal. and hoisted it onto his shoulder.
"What's next" asked Kagome.
"Well it's time we set out to meet your friends. We're meeting them in two days at the next village to the east." he replied.
"Ok."
"Ready" Burt asked
"I guess so."
"Then lets move out" he said and the two walked east, into a situation more dangerous then anyone could ever foresee.
To Be Continued