Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ G-men ❯ One More ( Chapter 16 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Category: AU, Yaoi, Gundam Wing fusion with the X-men series
Pairings: 1x2, 3x4, 5x6/6x5
Warnings: shonen ai
Author: Arigatomina
Email: arigatoumina@hotmail.com

G-men

Part 16: One More

//I'll never understand my own heart. Why did I let him go so easily? It's true that he is the first true friend I've ever had but he's also a very attractive boy. I could tell myself that I never had a chance with Heero as competition, especially since there was obvious chemistry between the two of them. I could tell myself that, but it's not enough. I didn't even try, hell, I pushed them together by provoking Heero like that. It was as if I *want* to be alone.// Sighing, Wufei leaned back on the steps, looking up at the stars.

It wasn't as cold as he'd thought it would be, and he was glad he'd gone outside. It was very peaceful and he'd always been more comfortable alone, away from people. As much as he enjoyed the others' company, and he did, he hadn't realized how much he'd missed just sitting alone beneath the stars. //I *do* like to be alone, but not forever. I want someone with me, just not Duo. Maybe I knew he had his heart set on Heero, though God knows why he would. Or I didn't want to ruin our friendship. I'd like to use that excuse, but it sounds so flat, even to me. I don't know. I guess the fact that he is so close to everyone turned me away. I want someone who will...see me. Just me. I don't want someone I have to be jealous of every time another man looks at him.//

Remembering the way Heero'd glared at him when he'd looked at Duo, Wufei nodded his head. //I guess I would be like that too if I had someone as beautiful as him. I wouldn't want anyone to look at him.// Closing his eyes, he let out a long sigh. Minutes passed, then he jerked abruptly as he realized he'd almost fallen asleep. //Not on the steps.// Standing, he stretched and glanced at the door. //Wonder if they're done. Damnit, I want my bed back.//

Glaring at the door, he opened it silently, listening for any suspicious sounds. Not hearing anything, he let out a soft sigh and entered the safe-house, bolting the door before heading back to the living room. Eying the couch that was just long enough for him to stretch out on, he paused. //I could always use Duo's bed. I doubt if he'll need it tonight.// Remembering the mess in the American's room, he discarded the idea quickly and sat on the couch with a resigned sigh.

* * *

"So, where do we start?" Looking around the table, Duo nodded to the strange girl who moved to sit next to the tall blonde man. //Zechs,// he thought quickly, //and she must be the girl Quatre sensed before everything happened.//

"I believe introductions are in order," the girl in question said lightly, turning to look at Zechs.

"Zechs Marquise," he said softly, nodding to Quatre before turning to tilt his head toward his sister. "And this is Relena Peacecraft."

Smiling, Relena looked at the five boys, nodding as each gave his name. She was about to say something when Duo interrupted with an apologetic grin. "That's not what I meant. It's nice to know who everyone is, but I was hoping to hear what happened last night. I don't know about you," he said to Quatre before glaring at Wufei, "but I was told I'd get a recap in the morning." Pinning the Chinese boy with his expectant gaze, he smiled suddenly, belying his pretense at anger. "Well, it's morning."

"Breakfast first."

Turning to give Heero a glaring pout, Duo sighed as he took in the boy's calm, steadfast expression. "Can't we talk and eat at the same time? After all," his eyes lit up, "It *would* be a more efficient use of our time."

Not buying it, Heero's eyes narrowed. "No. We'd talk while you ate." Turning his eyes downward to his plate, Heero took a bite of his food, the conversation-slash-argument apparently over. Hearing Relena clear her throat, his eyes flew up.

Before she could get a word out, Duo interrupted again. "How come it's okay for her to ask questions but not me? That's hardly fair."

Silence reigned as all eyes moved to Duo, then Heero groaned audibly, a hand going to his forehead as he resisted the urge to bang his head on the table. "Fine," he said, not looking up as he slowly resumed eating. "Ask what you want, but I'm not answering anything until I've eaten."

* * *

"Do they always argue like that?"

Glancing at Relena, Wufei smirked. "Worse. This isn't bad, as early as it is." Moving his eyes to include Zechs, he smiled. "Duo is *not* a morning person."

"Well, that is no excuse for such immature behavior."

Wondering why she'd followed him outside, Wufei gave the girl an irritated look. He wasn't sure what it was, but something about her rankled him. Then again, he'd never been fond of the 'weaker sex'. Deciding to ignore her, he looked at Zechs who was leaning against the post beside where he sat on the steps. Him he liked, though again, he couldn't say why since the man was a bit too passive for his standards. Remembering the man's hasty retreat when he'd woken up, Wufei fought a smile. //As if I'd sleep through that. He must not have read my mind or he'd have known I was awake the entire time. Watching me while I sleep, huh? It looks like he's got it bad.//

Smiling slightly when the tall man blinked and raised an eyebrow, Wufei turned toward the house, looking through the open screen. "I'd say things have calmed down enough for intelligent conversation now," he said, including Zechs in his nod towards the door. He didn't care if the girl came in or not, but Duo needed to hear what the man had told him. "Hope you weren't planning on running off just yet."

"Actually, that's something I wanted to discuss with you before we join the others." Seeing the boy's questioning gaze, Zechs turned to Relena. "Would you mind giving us some privacy, Relena?"

Frowning, Relena stood but made no move to go inside. "Whether or not we stay here has as much to do with me as it does with you. You have no right to decide such a thing without me."

Eyes narrowing as he saw the black-haired boy glaring at Relena, Zechs gripped his patience tightly. "I am not your guardian, Relena. The only thing that holds me to you is blood. As it is, I fully intend to see you back in Sank Kingdom before I go on my own, so the discussion does *not* involve you. Now please, let us speak in private."

Blinking, Relena looked hurt for a moment before she turned and entered the house quickly. Sighing, Zechs met Wufei's eyes as he slowly sat down beside the boy. "She's a princess, and she's used to being treated as one. I never knew she would be spoiled so badly when I left home, or I might have tried to stop it from happening."

"Why do you put up with her? Especially since she's a weakness to you." Nodding when the man looked at him in surprise, Wufei scowled at the door. "Oz used her against you. It's obvious that she's a weakness."

"She is," Zechs said slowly, glancing over the yard. "But if you had seen her six years ago, you'd understand. She was such a sweet, inquisitive child, so peaceful and caring in nature. Those traits haven't actually changed, they've just been buried under her snobbish behavior. I guess it's the memory that makes me care, makes me want to protect her."

Not wanting to talk about the irritating girl, Wufei nevertheless found himself feeling sympathetic towards the man beside him. "So long as you know your weakness, you can keep it from being used against you. Don't make the same mistake twice."

"No." Sighing, Zechs looked at the solemn boy beside him, black eyes wide with wisdom beyond his age. "But that isn't what I wanted to discuss. I'm in awe of the five of you. I'm sure you can guess what I want to ask."

//He wants to join us.// Smirking, Wufei met those pale blue eyes. "I would say yes, but it isn't my decision. We've...rallied behind Heero. Either get a majority in your favor, or convince him. It's that simple."

Frowning, Zechs folded his arms over his chest. "Why him? Although I'd rather not remind you of my crimes against you, I've looked into your minds. What I've seen tells me that Quatre is the best strategist, not Heero."

Wufei reacted as if he'd been stung, jerking away before leaning forward. "Are you certain of this? Quatre has never fought, he knows nothing about actual battles."

"You are wrong," Zechs said, shaking his head slowly. "I'm not sure why he never mentioned it, or why Heero didn't think to look into his history, but that boy has been leading troops for years. True, he did it from a distance, but he was the guiding force of his army in many battles."

"His army?"

"Maguanacs, I think he calls them. Since his father died, they have been his family, until now of course. Though I've never heard of them myself, Quatre has great self-confidence when he thinks about them. It seems they never question his orders when it comes to battle strategy. He has a very keen mind."

"I don't doubt his mind," Wufei said in his defense, "it's just that Quatre...he isn't the type to hold things back. I don't understand why he would keep such skills a secret."

"I thought it was because of Heero, but having had a glimpse of Trowa's mind, I know it's him. Mainly him, but yes, it's also the rest of you. He doesn't see himself as a member of the...team. He...thinks he's a weak joint. As I said, when he remembers his soldiers, he is extremely confident, but comparing himself to the four of you has crushed that. He's unsure."

"You saw all of this? But Trowa has the ability to read minds too, surely he would have sensed this."

"I imagine he has, but he'd no doubt hide that from Quatre since the boy obviously doesn't want you to know. It's my opinion, for whatever *that's* worth, that you need to know. It's wrong to let one of your best resources go unused, and Quatre shouldn't be left thinking of himself as useless."

Quite impressed, Wufei smiled at the man's serious expression. "Well, if you didn't have my vote before, you'd have it now. You seem to know more about us than *we* do. That sort of insight could prove very handy. As it stands though, you'll still have to talk to Heero." Seeing the man's uncertain expression, he smirked. "I wouldn't worry about that, just tell him about the possibility of Duo's having another power and he'll be on your side in no time."

Eyes widening at the implications of that statement, Zechs cleared his throat. "Like that? The two of them?" At Wufei's semi-proud nod, he managed a smile. "That explains the banter then. I take it it's a matter of opposites, yes?"

"They'll certainly keep each other on his toes," Wufei said, evil grin surfacing as he climbed to his feet. "Come on, if we don't get in there, Duo'll be dragging us in. He's waited long enough."

"You're very close to him."

Turning at the man's soft, surprised voice, Wufei met his eyes without flinching. "He's the best friend I'll ever have."

* * *
TBC