Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ G-men ❯ Revelations ( Chapter 17 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Category: AU, Yaoi
Warning: minor angst, sap
Pairings: 1x2, 3x4, 5+6 hinted at
Author: Arigatomina
Email: arigatoumina@hotmail.com

G-men

Part 17: Revelations

"You know, Heero, you weren't very nice to me considering what we did last night." Looking down at the dark haired boy seated in front of his laptop, Duo frowned.

Blinking, Heero looked at the screen for a minute before pushing back his chair and standing with a sigh. He took in Duo's worried expression as he stepped to him, one hand taking hold of his braid, the other moving around his waist. "You were being impatient, was I supposed to give in?" Shaking his head, he pulled the unresisting boy up against him, mouth moving over his. Pulling back, he met Duo's violet eyes with a nod and stepped back, releasing him.

"Mmm, much better." Grinning, Duo didn't mind when Heero gave him a light push toward the door.

"Let's go," he said, opening his bedroom door and pushing the boy into the hall. "Everybody should be fully awake now, including you."

"What's that mean?" Duo asked, frowning over his shoulder at Heero.

"You don't wake up until you've eaten. I've noticed."

"Oh."

They found Relena sitting on the couch when they entered the living room, Heero's hand dropping from Duo's back as he glanced at her. She was glaring at the kitchen doorway, her arms folded over her chest, but she smiled and stood when she saw them. "Hello, I was wondering where you went. My brother is outside."

Nodding, Heero passed her and moved into the kitchen, eyes moving over the two boys seated at the table as he sat down. Grinning as he followed, Duo shrugged. "Heero's ready to talk, so there's no time to waste." He paused in the doorway, frowning as he took in her wide eyes. "What's wrong? Aren't you coming?"

"Oh. Yes, of course."

She brushed past him on her way into the kitchen, and Duo frowned when he saw where her eyes were focused. Smirking at what he recognized as jealousy, Duo sat across from Heero, watching the boy to see if he'd noticed his new admirer. //Not that I blame her, he looks great in that tank-top. Besides, Heero's mine.// He stood again, grin in place as he walked to the door. Pushing it open, he stuck his head out. "Come on, you two, time's a-wastin'."

Turning, Zechs and Wufei nodded and followed him in, Duo holding the door for them and waving them toward the table. They looked at each other as they sat, then Zechs cleared his throat, careful not to look at his sister as he centered his attention on Heero. That boy was watching him closely, intense eyes giving nothing away save his rapt attention.

"I'm not sure where to start, but I assume you have questions."

"That's right," Duo said, nodding as his smile gave way to a serious expression. "If no one else minds, I'd like to go first." Not receiving any objection, he looked at the tall man. "First off, if you were being forced to help OZ, why'd you tell them where I was? Couldn't you have lied or something?"

Wincing, Zechs dropped his eyes to the table. "I had to distract them," he said slowly, not making excuses but simply telling it. "I knew what they'd do and it was the only way I could think of to distract them enough for me to get one of their guns. I knew I could heal you, and I thought I could kill them before you were injured too badly. I hadn't counted on Treize pinpointing you like that. I'm sorry. If I'd known, I wouldn't have taken the risk."

"How did Treize get away?" Wufei asked. "I would have thought he'd kill you before making his escape."

"He would have, but as soon as he fired he was out the door. After Quatre. That's when I killed the other two. They were checking the body--I mean Duo. I followed Treize, but he'd heard the commotion and was gone when I got to Quatre. I'd just brought him to where Duo was when Trowa showed up."

"How long were you with OZ?"

His eyes moved to Quatre and he sighed, grateful for the change in subject. "About two weeks, but they didn't have Relena for the first day or two so they didn't use me at first."

"Do you know why they've been so determined to catch me?" Duo asked, eyes hard. "It's been two years and there're still posters out for me."

Zechs glanced at Wufei, seeing the boy's nod before turning to Duo. "I know why. Duo, have you ever had the feeling you've forgotten something?"

"What? What are you talking about?"

"I've seen footage of the massacre." He winced as Heero glared at him and knew he shouldn't have used the word. Gritting his teeth, he plowed forward. "Duo, how did you get out of the church? The doors were nailed shut."

Duo's eyes narrowed as he frowned at the man, confusion evident. "What? They couldn't have been. I went out the back door, it was the closest to where I was and there wasn't time to try and sneak out."

"Yes, the footage shows you appearing outside the door, but how did you get through it? Duo, that door never moved." The boy didn't answer, eyes wide as he paled visibly, shaking his head. "Treize is convinced you either teleported to the outside or walked *through* the door. And I know you teleported, moved yourself. Because I've seen you do it."

"No...I didn't. Damnit! I remember going out that door. How could I have...done that and not remember? I remember everything about that day, I always will. There's no way I could forget. Besides, if I could do that then..." His voice trailed off, face growing paler as he suddenly dropped his eyes to the table.

"Inside the base, when Treize shot you, you did it then. It was just for a second before you lost consciousness, but for a second you weren't there."

Glaring suddenly, Duo looked around the table. "Are you guys hearing him? He's saying I wasn't in the base. Why are you looking at *me*?"

"Duo, do you remember opening the door?"

Stricken, Duo stared at Heero for a minute, hurt shining in his wide eyes. "Not you too..."

"Do you?"

Wincing, he wrapped his arms around himself before shooting daggers at Heero. "No! Okay? Is that what you want to hear? I don't actually remember going out the door, but things were happening so fast...The church only had two doors and I went for the closest one."

"Quatre, did you hear the last thing that was going through his mind in the base?"

The blonde boy looked at Zechs sharply, eyes narrowing slowly. "Yes. He was thinking that he had to get out, then..." Gasping, he stared at Duo. "Duo...he's right. I didn't have time to think about it, but I lost contact with you. It was just for a second, but you *were* gone."

"Don't feel like that." Duo glanced up, glaring at Zechs before looking down again. "You shouldn't feel like you've been betrayed, Duo."

Flinching when he looked up again to find Heero's eyes on him, Duo shook his head. "I just need time to think about this, okay? Can we talk about something else for a while?"

"Do you want to take a break? We have time."

Duo jerked, eyes flying around the table, the somewhat confused expression on Relena's face acting as a cruel reality check as he stared at her before looking back to Zechs. "No. I'm fine."

Standing, Heero nodded to Zechs. "We'll be back." He ignored Duo's protests as he pulled the longhaired boy to his feet and practically drug him out of the room. Taking him to his room, he shut the door behind them, staring at the boy.

"Heero, I'm fine. Really, it's just a lot to take in is all."

"You never lie," Heero said softly, stepping forward as he wrapped his arms around him, holding the stiff boy close. Minutes passed before Duo finally relaxed, his arms moving around Heero's waist as he hid his head against his shoulder. "Tell me."

"Heero...don't you see what this means?" Letting out a choked cry, he squeezed him tightly, "If I could do what he says then I could have saved them. I could have..."

"You were so young, and you *didn't* know." Returning the almost painful embrace, he lowered his head, cheek pressing against Duo's as he whispered in his ear. "It's not your fault. You didn't do it, OZ did. The only thing you're guilty of is being a child." Closing his eyes when the boy shook roughly, he rested his forehead on his shoulder. "Duo...please don't cry..."

* * *

"Why wouldn't he remember?" Eyes moving to Quatre, Trowa frowned. "How could he forget something so important to him?"

"I don't know," the blonde boy responded. "I guess it just happened so fast he never thought about it. Maybe his power only manifests itself when he's in danger."

"Now," Zechs agreed, nodding. "But I think he could learn to master it."

"If he can, it would be a great addition, but we can't push him. I think there's a reason why he doesn't want to believe it, and without knowing what that is, we can't push him." Smiling slightly when Zechs nodded, Wufei sighed. "As soon as they get back, we'll discuss you."

"No," Zechs shook his head, "Quatre first." Trowa's green eyes narrowed as he looked at the pale man, but he didn't speak.

"Me? Couldn't you tell me now?" Blinking when the man exchanged glances with Wufei, Quatre frowned.

"We should wait," Wufei said, eyes moving to the doorway. "Heero *definitely* needs to hear this."

"Is Heero your leader?"

Wufei looked at Relena in something akin to surprise. He'd forgotten her. Eyes moving to Zechs, he nodded before focusing on her again. "I would say he is. He's the one who drew us together, although other things played into it. We're also together because our abilities are magnified when we fight together. We compliment each other." He looked at Zechs again and smiled. "Heero wanted to form an elite team of mutants."

"Will Duo's new ability help?" Wufei glared at her and she sat back a bit.

"Of course, if he can use it."

"Why couldn't he?" Frowning at him, she folded her arms over her chest. "If it only happens when he's in danger, the obvious course would be to put him in danger." She flinched as three more glaring eyes pinned her down, but continued doggedly. "Not real danger, of course, just enough for him to use his power. Then, he'll actually see it happen and he can learn how he does it."

Zechs blinked for a minute, then glanced at Wufei nervously. "She has a point. I know you don't want to push him, but for his own safety, he should know how to do it. If he could teleport on thought, he would never have been injured at all."

"Stop it." Glaring when they looked up, Heero pulled Duo into the room. "Leave it for now. There are other things to discuss." He watched as Duo sat, relieved that the haunted look had left his eyes, then he sat as well. "What else do you have?" he asked, staring at Zechs, one eyebrow raised.

"Well, this isn't really a revelation since two of you already know, but I think you should address it. Wufei told me that you," he nodded to Heero, "have been in charge of strategy. While I admit that you have done well, I have to say that you aren't the most qualified."

Duo laughed, missing the way Heero's eyes softened a bit at the sound, and smiled. "Are you trying to get all of us mad at you? I must say, you're pretty brave."

"Actually, I don't want any of you angry with me. I'm trying to help. What I meant was, Quatre is a better strategist."

"Me?!" Pale blue-green eyes very wide, Quatre blanched, looking to Heero quickly. "Heero is much better."

"I hadn't realized how much the five of you were ignorant of each other, but you really don't know each other that well. Quatre, you know I'm right about you. You have a problem doubting yourself, but there's no reason for it. In fact, by hiding your skills, you aren't helping your friends."

"Are you a psychologist? I don't know what you're talking about, but I get the feeling you're good at manipulating people."

Zechs flushed as he looked at the longhaired boy, Duo's words affecting him badly. "I do know about manipulation," he admitted, "but that's not what I'm doing. Quatre, how many battles have you directed?"

All eyes moved to the blonde boy and his normally pale face grew white. "It's not the same," he said, eyes dropping to the table. "Those were during a war, they weren't like our battles. I don't know anything about attacking bases the way the others do. Remember, I've never attacked OZ."

"Enough," Trowa said softly, a hand moving to the boy's shoulder. "He's right, this should be addressed. I've known about your skills, Quatre, and I've kept quiet for your sake. But I don't," his eyes narrowed, "like the way you put yourself down." He met Heero's frowning gaze steadily, not removing his hand from Quatre's shoulder. "The base he was in when you met him belongs to a group called the Maguanac Core. Rebels, they fought together and Quatre led and directed them. And he was excellent at it."

Duo couldn't help smiling at how proud Trowa was of the blonde boy. "Wow, Quatre. Why didn't you say something?"

"He's intimidated."

Duo's eyes widened in disbelief. "By me?!"

Snorting, Wufei looked away, eyes moving to Quatre. "If you have doubts, put them aside. We're...friends. Each of us excels at certain things, one of your skills is leadership. Just accept it."

"Quatre, what would you do if you were in charge of our missions?"

Eyes wide, the blonde boy shook his head quickly. "No, Heero. It's true about the Maguanacs, but that was different. I'm not qualified for this."

Heero stared at the boy, drilling him with an intense gaze. "I believe Trowa. He knows you better than any of us. Actually, I have no qualms at all. I play by the numbers, a different view can help."

* * *

"Could I speak to you for a moment?"

Quatre turned in response to the soft request, eyes catching Relena. "Of course. Is something wrong?" Heero and Wufei were speaking to Zechs in another room, so he gestured toward the empty kitchen.

"Actually, I'm worried about what's going to happen to me. My brother is planning to send me home. But what's to stop OZ from simply kidnapping me again to use against him?" Blinking at Quatre's concerned expression, she sat at the table. "I don't know what to do to keep that from happening."

"Isn't there some way you could be protected?"

"I had guards in the Sanq kingdom, but they were no match for OZ, especially when they knew exactly where I was. I don't understand why I couldn't stay here." She saw the boy frown slightly and looked down at the table. "I'd be much safer with you and I know Zechs wants to join you. I'd hate to be used against him again."

"Yes..." His eyes moved over the girl and his frown deepened. "You were lucky to have gotten away uninjured. I don't know if it will help, but I'll talk to the others for you. You really would be much safer here."

Smiling, Relena stood abruptly, taking the surprised boy's hand in both of hers. "Thank you. I knew you'd help me."

* * *

"I have no objections," Heero said evenly, staring at Zechs. "A healer would be invaluable. That, combined with your psychic abilities leaves me no reason to object. However." He shook his head slowly, eyes glinting dangerously. "You are the only one of us with someone who can be used against you. We can't let that happen again."

"I'm glad you realized that." Smiling from the doorway, Quatre nodded before entering the room. "It seems to me that the best solution would be to keep Miss Relena in a safe place where OZ can't find her. And to make sure she's protected and thereby protect ourselves as well."

"But where?" Zechs frowned as he looked to Heero, taking in the boy's dark gaze. "I'd planned to send her home, but I have to admit it's a bad idea, stupid really. It would be easy for OZ to go and get her again. It's a pacifist nation, you see? They're practically defenseless."

"Aren't you the heir now?" Not blinking when the blonde man turned sharply, Wufei raised an eyebrow. "I'm surprised you would let your country go unprotected."

"I was disowned, privately, but I've no love for the title."

"What about the people," Wufei said softly, recognizing the man's anger as an attempt to hide his pain. "Did they play a part in it? Should they be held responsible for something your father did?"

"If they knew I was a mutant, I'm sure they'd react the same way he did. No, Relena would make a much better ruler...if she could forget about herself long enough to think of the kingdom and the people. She was very good at keeping the peace when she was a child, she did it naturally. I believe those traits are still there."

"Until you decide how to protect her in the nation," Quatre said, "I suggest we keep her here with us. It's the safest alternative."

"You don't know what you're getting yourself into," Zechs said softly, glancing up at the boy from where he sat. "But you're right."

* * *

"I'm not a coward, and I'm not afraid of pain, but I don't want to die." Giving Trowa a weak smile, Duo chewed on his lower lip. "What if it doesn't work and my power doesn't manifest itself? You could end up killing me. I mean, being invisible isn't going to help when you know exactly where I am, and I can only run so fast. You can fly."

"I wouldn't know *exactly* where you were, just an approximation. I know I can't control my powers, but I *don't* believe I'd kill you. I did stop when Zechs had Quatre, so I must have some bit of control." Glancing down at the ground beneath the limb he sat on, Trowa shook his head. Having found the boy in a tree behind the safe-house, he'd decided to take advantage of the fact that they were alone. "With Zechs's abilities, any injuries can easily be healed."

Glaring at the boy, Duo made a disgruntled sound, leaning back on the limb he was reclining on. "So you say, but the healing hurts almost as much as the injury. I don't know, Trowa. I mean, what if it doesn't work? After all, if it's my subconscious that triggers the power, it may not work if *you* are the threat. Besides, I can't see as how I'd be much of a threat to you. Wufei could be a good sparring partner for you to test yourself on, but without a gun, I'm more of an infiltrator than a fighter. Man, that sucks to say." Trowa glanced up and he grinned. "No one said the truth had to be nice."

"Use a gun then."

His mouth fell open and he nearly fell out of the tree as he jerked away from the green-eyed boy. "Are you nuts?! Shit, I don't care how fast you fly, I never miss a target." Blinking, he tilted his head to the side as he saw the boy's lips twitch. "What?"

"I don't have Heero's speed, but if you noticed, I didn't get shot in the base. I can't really remember much when I'm in that state, but surely one of the guards I took down got a shot off first. At close range."

"Are you saying...what? Bullets don't hurt you?"

Trowa shrugged, eyes blazing. "I don't know. That's just one more reason for me to learn to control my power so I can use it. You also have a power you need to learn to control. I can't see any of the others voluntarily injuring you, or even threatening you to the point that your life is in danger." He looked away abruptly, his voice soft. "I wouldn't do it voluntarily either, but if I don't restrain myself and you threaten me, I'll react accordingly."

"I'd say let me think about it, but I guess time's not something we have a lot of."

"No. It's likely that they'll try to use a mutant again, they almost got us this time."

"Doesn't look like we have any alternative. But still, I don't like the idea of shooting at you. I mean, it's dangerous." Smirking when Trowa raised an eyebrow, Duo let out a soft laugh. "Right. Since when is anything we do *not* dangerous."

* * *
TBC