Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ G-men ❯ Reactions ( Chapter 18 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Category: Yaoi, AU Gundam Wing
Pairings: 1x2, 3x4, 5+6
Warnings: shonen ai
Author: Arigatomina
Email: arigatoumina@hotmail.com

G-men

Part 18: Reactions

"No."

"What do you mean 'no'? Aren't you even going to consider it? The idea...has merit."

Heero's eyes moved over Duo, taking in his disgruntled expression but he also saw relief not quite masked in those violet eyes. "I take it this was Trowa's idea?"

"It doesn't matter whose idea it is," Duo said quickly, frowning, "I want one reason why you said no, just one. What am I supposed to tell Trowa? Heero won't let me?"

"It's dangerous and unnecessary." Turning in his chair, Heero pointed to the blueprints on the screen of his laptop. "This isn't far from where we picked up Zechs. There's a chance this is where Treize ran to."

"Hey, we're not done discussing this." Duo's gaze turned dark as he frowned.

"I'll give these to Quatre," Heero continued, "but if I find fault with his plan, I want *you* to tell him. If it comes from me he'll feel bad about himself."

"Damnit, Heero. You're not even going to talk about it?"

Heero turned to him and stood. "No, I'm not. You didn't see Trowa when he lost control. If you had, you wouldn't even think about fighting him with nothing more than a useless gun. It would take more than that and then *he'd* be in danger." Moving around the chair, he put his hands on Duo's shoulders, gripping them lightly. "I know *why* he thought of it, kill two birds with one stone, but it's too dangerous. You wouldn't stand a chance."

Duo flinched and got angry a second before he sighed and dropped his gaze. "I appreciate that vote of confidence," he said, sarcasm dripping from the words.

"Duo--"

"No, it's okay." Shaking his head, the boy gave a weak smile. "I actually told Trowa about the same thing when we first talked about it. I mean, what good is being invisible if the opponent can read your mind and know where you are, right? But how else am I going to learn?"

"Don't worry about it. Come on, let's show this to Quatre."

It wasn't hard to find the blonde boy, since they could hear him from the hallway. The fact that Wufei, Zechs, and Relena were also in the hall and staring at the closed bedroom door helped, and Duo drug Heero to a halt when the Japanese boy started to knock. Eyes wide at the muffled yelling, he shook his head and pulled Heero back. He gave a quick glance to the others and took another sharp step back when Quatre suddenly jerked the door open.

Stopping abruptly, Quatre's glare cooled just a bit before darkening again as he looked at the staring eyes. "He's pissing me off."

"Quatre?!" Duo's eyes widened as he looked at the normally soft-spoken boy in surprise.

Throwing a cold glare over his shoulder when Trowa came out of the room to stand behind him, the blonde turned back to the others. "First he's afraid to drop his control because he might hurt me, and then he decides, 'Oh, it's okay, I'll just hurt Duo instead.'"

"Quatre..." Green eyes moving around the hall, Trowa looked decidedly uncomfortable. "Can we talk about this?"

"No!" The small boy turned to glare at him for a moment. "You said you were sick of me doubting myself. Then why is it okay for *him*," he pointed at Duo who took another step back, eyes even wider than before, "to take the risks and not for *me*? It's stupid."

"I agree."

Quatre looked to Heero in surprise, then a wide smile slowly claimed his face, a smug one that stayed as he folded his arms over his chest and faced Trowa. "See?"

"Okay." Shaking his head, Trowa raised his hands in defeat. He'd never imagined the sweet boy had such a temper. "You win, all right?"

Nodding sharply, Quatre beamed and wrapped his arms around the tall boy's waist, not caring that the others saw him. "I knew you'd see it my way."

Letting out a laugh, Duo froze when Quatre raised an eyebrow at him. "Hey, cool it. I already got a lecture for my little part in this." He wondered how Trowa was taking the complete rejection of his plan, but a glance to the tall boy's face revealed nothing but relief as Quatre continued to hug him.

"I have something to show you, Quatre."

Glancing at Heero, Duo smiled as the dark-haired boy wasn't at all bothered by Quatre's explosion. "Yeah, mission."

With a final sweet smile at Trowa, Quatre slowly released him. "Okay, what have you got?"

* * *

Leaving the kitchen-turned-base-of-operations, Duo smiled. Quatre was as good as Zechs has said, and he was happy with his upcoming role. Once again, he'd be on the forefront, rather than just infiltration. Equipped with a silencer, he'd still have the element of surprise on his side, but he'd be right there with Heero instead of sneaking around and clearing the way. Catching sight of Relena leaning against the wall, he gave her a smile.

"Did things go well?" Duo nodded and she straightened, following him down the hall. "So where are you attacking? I hope it won't be too dangerous."

"Don't sweat it," Duo smiled, "It's a small base about two miles from the last one. We're hoping to find Treize there." He noticed that a frown crossed her face and paused. "It won't be that dangerous, we have the layout and shift change times."

"You do? How did you manage that?"

"Heero. He's great with computers."

"Oh." Smiling, she tilted her head to the side. "I guess with him for a leader, everyone will be okay. When are you going? Not tonight, it's so late..."

"No. We intercepted a message that there's going to be someone arriving tomorrow, so we're scheduled to attack after that. It's easier to go in at night."

"I understand completely. Are they finished making plans then?" She glanced back down the hall before giving Duo another smile. "I'm rather thirsty."

"Sure. Come on," he turned to walk with her. "I'm sorry Zechs made you wait outside, but I'm sure a pacifist wouldn't be comfortable hearing our plans."

"Yes."

Pushing the kitchen door open for her, Duo found himself watching the way she smiled at everyone. She didn't seem to be the brat Zechs had warned them about, in fact, she was acting rather pleasant. Thinking back, he couldn't pinpoint a single time she had behaved with anything other than politeness. //Why was Zechs so worried? She hasn't even complained about our fighting. I guess she's not as much of a pacifist as he remembers. I for one don't mind at all. I hate it when some fanatic tries to push his ideas to everyone else. But her, not once has she complained.//

* * *

"You know, you were right about Quatre."

"Wufei?" Stopping short, Zechs looked around before catching sight of the Chinese boy in a tree to his left. "What is it with you boys and trees?"

"Climb on up and I'll tell you," Wufei smirked, watching the man eye the tree with skepticism.

Walking to the tree, Zechs looked up at the boy and shook his head. "Actually, I was looking for Relena. I thought she came out this way."

"She did. She said she was going for a walk. There's a nice field not too far from here, it should be safe."

"Oh. Well, in that case..." Smiling at the boy's smirk, Zechs climbed into the tree, perching a bit uncomfortably on a limb near the black-haired boy. "Okay, tell my why you like trees. As far as I can see, it's not very comfortable."

"No, but look around. It's better in a taller tree, but this isn't too bad." Wufei leaned his back against the trunk, his legs stretched out on the limb as he looked over at Zechs. "There's something about being up, off the ground. As if you're separated from things, beyond them. Of course, there's also the fact that you can see more which makes a tree a good vantage point for me to fight from. I don't know about the others, but Duo feels the same way."

"You should hang-glide sometime," Zechs murmured, staring upward as he tried to feel what the boy had described. "Or maybe Trowa could fly with you."

"No thanks," Wufei said quickly, a slight smile curving his lips. "I don't want Quatre mad at me *or* Trowa. I don't think Trowa could handle it."

"He was so angry this morning. I had no idea he had such a temper, do you know what that was about? I know he said something about Duo being in danger, but I think I missed something."

"Yeah, well Duo explained it to me. I guess he and Trowa were planning to have some sort of mock-battle and Quatre was angry because Trowa wouldn't let down his guard with *him*. It's like you said," Wufei nodded, "He's afraid Quatre won't be able to handle the anger. He thinks he'll end up hurting him."

"Oh. Well, Quatre certainly calmed quickly enough."

Wufei smiled a bit as he remembered how fast the boy had gone from enraged to sweet. "It's better than if he stayed angry about it." Remembering what he'd said earlier, Wufei nodded. "You were right about Quatre being a good strategist. I know Duo's happier being up there with Heero and Trowa. And you'll come in handy too."

"Well thank you," Zechs smirked, looking at the boy's serious expression, "I think."

"Really. With Trowa inside, Quatre can still work as a mediator and I won't be left out of the loop with you there. Not that we didn't do all right before, but I can't have Quatre with me when I work and he can't read me."

"That's been bothering me," Zechs frowned, "Why couldn't Quatre join you?"

"Come on, Zechs," Wufei muttered, looking down at his crossed arms. "You read my mind before, so I'm sure you know."

"Oh." Wincing slightly at his own lack of tact, Zechs nodded. He hadn't missed the boy's strong sense of pride and he knew that other than Duo, the boys weren't aware of how tired he was after he used his powers. "But my being there won't bother you?"

"You already know," Wufei said sharply, "Besides, you know better than to give me sympathy. Quatre's too sweet not to let his concern show and I don't want that."

"You don't think I sympathize with you?" Zechs asked, his voice sounding sarcastically concerned. "Poor Wufei..."

Turning sharply, Wufei's eyes widened and he stared at the man for a minute before glaring darkly. "Funny, but Duo's better at teasing."

"Oh well," Zechs shrugged, still smiling at having gotten a rise out of the boy. "I had to try."

* * *

"I don't hear any typing." Not moving from where he lay on his back in the middle of the bed, Duo smiled but didn't open his eyes. He'd spent the last hour listening to the sound of Heero's fingers flying over the laptop with soft clicks, but it had been silent for the last couple of minutes. "Are you still here?" Not receiving an answer, he cracked open an eye and looked toward the desk, his smile widening when he saw Heero turned in his chair so he faced him. "What're you doing?"

"Watching you," Heero shrugged. "You look different when you're relaxed. No smile."

"Well, which do you prefer?" Duo asked, blinking his lashes at Heero. "Smile or no smile?" The Japanese boy shrugged again, his expression unreadable. "Don't feel like talking? Okay, why don't you come over *here* and watch me." Heero stood and Duo grinned as he sat up, eyes shining when the boy sat on the bed. Leaning against Heero's back, he let his hands trail lightly over the boy's chest. "You know, I wouldn't mind watching *you* sleep...if you ever slept."

"You weren't sleeping," Heero said, turning his head so he could see the boy.

"No, I was trying to figure out what you were typing. I don't know, guess I was bored but not tired." He gave a small smile as he pressed his palms flat against Heero's chest, arms tightening as he pulled the boy back against him. Cobalt eyes glinted and Duo kissed him teasingly. He'd just pulled back when they heard something and both stiffened and turned as the door was opened and Relena stepped into the room. Blushing, Duo quickly released the boy and sat back on his heels. "Relena? What--"

Blue eyes moving from Heero, who was glaring fiercely, to Duo, Relena's eyes narrowed suddenly and her arm lifted.

Staring at the gun, Duo's breath caught and he froze in complete disbelief. Then she fired.

* * *
TBC