Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ A Fine Line ❯ Chapter 11 ( Chapter 11 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 11 A Fine Line

By Gossamer Wings

Duo gazed out the apartment window at the morning haze that hung over the landscape like a blank canvas. Soon, the heat of the rising sun would begin to slowly burn the mists away to reveal a newly painted scene of a new day.

He sat at their small dinning table, which lay hidden under layers of printouts and data disks, absently toying with his braid.

Confusion swirled in his thoughts like the shifting mists outside, especially when it came to Heero lately. His swift adjustment to civilian life had surprised Duo at first. Heero was trained to adapt when the situation called for it; so his adjustment really wasn't a real surprise in the end. But now, Heero was displaying the caring and kind person that Duo knew was hidden deep beneath the stern exterior he wore like armor. It was a side he rarely showed. A few times during the wars that armor was set aside. Duo was one of the few chosen to see a hint of the real Heero. When Duo was captured by the enemy and Heero came to him, he was willing to accept his fate of being silenced for the cause. But Heero rescued him instead. At the time Duo thought his rescue was a result of Heero's soldier mentality. He was a skilled pilot and still needed in the war effort. Now he saw those actions as an expression of friendship and loyalty between them.

His thoughts wandered again to the other night when they had fallen asleep on the couch. Heero had given him information which had answered questions that had hounded him for years. Duo had never bared his soul like that to anyone before, not even Solo. The whole experience left him feeling raw and exposed. They were both so emotionally drained that they fell asleep watching an old movie.

The sound of static from the television had slowly roused him. Still half asleep he knew he should turn it off, but he felt too warm and comfortable to move. He snuggled further into that warmth when his blanket moaned and tightened its hold on him. Wide eyed, Duo tried to turn his head. A next to impossible feat since an iron fist had a firm grip on his braid. From what he could see and feel, he had somehow stretched across Heero's lap. Heero was in a half sitting, half lying down position against the end of the couch; the end arm becoming their pillow. Heero held Duo against himself like a life size Teddy Bear. The rhythmic heat from Heero's breath against his skin sent chills down his spine. It was not the chills of fear that he felt. He tried to move again. Heero pulled him closer, nuzzling his face into Duo's hair.

That is when confusion raised its ugly head again. As much as he knew he should extricate himself without waking Heero and causing further embarrassment. The situation was not entirely unpleasant; it almost felt familiar. Wrapped in a Heero cocoon, he was warm, comfortable and unexpectedly felt safe and protected. He didn't really want to get up and leave this haven of security.

Duo relaxed and felt Heero's body relax in return, his tight grip easing. In the glow of the television Duo studied Heero's face; relaxed contentment accompanied a deep sigh. He watched the tiny eye movements of dreaming under heavy lids and long soft lashes. A smile bloomed on Heero's lips that took Duo's breath away.

Duo silently searched for the remote with a free hand and finally succeeded in turning off the set. Heero's smile disappeared as his hold on Duo tightened again. Duo deserted the idea of escaping, settling back to sleep next to Heero.

"Why did I do that instead of going to my room? It wasn't because I was tired," He had to admit he liked how it felt being held by Heero and he had stayed awake at least another hour watching him sleep. When he woke again he was cold and alone on the couch with the smell of breakfast drifting in the air.

The aroma and steam of fresh hot coffee floated under his nose, dragging him from his memories. Accepting the warm mug with a grateful smile he inhaled deeply before taking a first sip. "Ah, pure ambrosia," he sighed deeply.

Heero raised an eyebrow at Duo's comment. "So, I've found the appropriate nectar for The God of Death," Heero sat down opposite Duo with his own steaming mug. "I wasn't aware you knew any Greek mythology."

Duo gave Heero a puzzled look. "What does Greek mythology have to do with coffee?"

"You said the coffee was `ambrosia'. Ambrosia….the food of the Gods. Coffee…..you're The God of Death," Heero explained.

"Oh….I get it. I think," Duo scratched his head in thought. "Ambrosia, that's a dessert Hilde used to make with crushed fruit, marshmallows and whipped cream. It's great with hot coffee after dinner."

Heero contemplated Duo's explanation for a moment and smiled shaking his head in amazement. Heero picked up a paper from the table and changed the subject before Duo could reply with one of his sly comebacks. "What have you dug up on the local PPO members?"

"Some interesting backgrounds, but it's what's hidden between the layers that's more interesting," Duo shuffled through some papers then handed Heero one. "This Anthony Sumners, he's more than just a member. He's the chapter's treasurer. It's not a big leadership role, but what's that old saying? `He who controls the purse strings'. He has experience in money; he's a financial adviser with some well-connected clients. I've tracked recent transactions and came up with some interesting stuff." Duo handed Heero a set of files.

Heero read over the short list. "An interesting list of clients and investments, most are pacifist families with philanthropic organizations. I can see where proceeds are used to help reconstruct damage from the wars," Heero looked at Duo questioningly. "Am I missing something here? Relena would know some of these families and support some of the same charities they do."

Duo took the paper and pointed to a few names. "These clients are in speculative trading markets. That's a totally different ballgame, pretty risky really. They deal in raw materials and food stuffs."

"And how would this have anything to do with Relena and our current problem?" Heero thought aloud.

"I don't know," Duo threw his hands up in frustration. "There are other data bases to try. I have one that marketers track customers purchases for direct marketing promotions," Duo shuffled a few pages. "I ran your name through to see what it had."

As he read his marketing profile, Heero's eyes widened in surprise. "Now you know why you keep getting coupons to all the sushi bars in the colonies," Duo chuckled.

"It was easier than cooking for myself on most trips for my business," Heero replied indignantly. "How is this useful for the PPO people?"

"Well, Mr. Sumners likes traveling to L4 colonies a lot. Granted, Quatre's colonies always leaned to the pacifist side. L4 is the main resource satellite mining area and he has clients who deal in that stuff. Research trips I guess, but I'll have to dig some more."

"What's this one?" Heero reached for a paper with another familiar name.

"No Heero!" Duo cried out. Heero held the paper teasingly out of Duo's reach.

"Interesting, if I say so myself," Heero scanned the list of purchases.

"Come on Heero, I was saving that to use for blackmail if Wufei gets on my case again."

"Do you think Sally is aware of Wufei's `shopping' habits?" Heero grinned evilly.

"It would be fun to find out," Duo's eyes twinkled with mischief at the possibilities.

"We could work it into conversation when we get together when Quate returns," Heero suggested.

"Maybe, but I'll hold onto this trump card until I really need it," Duo slouched into his chair. "Wufei really is a very honorable man. I wouldn't like to cause any hint of disgrace for him. I've kidded him a lot over the years; maybe I deserve this attitude from him."

"He has been under a lot of pressure to prove himself worthy ever since he joined the Preventers," Heero let out a sigh before returning the paper to Duo.

"Your right. So, for now, I'll just put up with being Wu's pressure relief valve until all this is over," With firm conviction, Duo tore the paper to shreds.

Heero felt proud of Duo for not taking the low road in dealing with Wufei. Heero should have known better himself for even suggesting it. Wufei was not the only person with honor. Duo led his whole life with honor and loyalty, and had witnessed it on more than a few times during the war. But was this feeling more than feeling proud of a friend's actions. He thought it was. They were the emotions he has been feeling since Duo came to Preventers; stirrings of emotions that left him confused but wanting more and at the same time embarrassed to even acknowledge what those emotions were leading him to. They sat there in silence, each to their own thoughts.

Heero drifted back to the other night when he gave Duo his blood test results. It seemed like the weight of the world was lifted from his shoulders. He saw Duo at his most vulnerable that night with all his defenses down. His heart ached for him. Eventually they had fallen asleep on the couch. Heero remembered vague dreams of Duo that left him feeling happy, but the details eluded him. When he woke in the morning Duo was draped over him. It was not quite dawn and the room was lit by dim gray light. Duo looked serene in sleep, his features smooth and relaxed. Such a contrast to the animated face he watched daily. He ran his fingers through Duo's bangs then let his hand run down the softness of Duo's hair and braid, wishing that the braid was loose and free again like another night Duo lay sleeping in his arms. Heero traced Duo's high cheekbones reveling at the softness of his skin. He stopped as Duo stirred slightly but remained asleep. Carefully, Heero eased himself from under Duo's body without waking him. He didn't want to embarrass him again like the other day. It would be best to wake him some other way that was more to Duo's liking. In a short while Duo woke to the smell of waffles with syrup, bacon and eggs and his favorite hot mug of coffee.

"Heero, Earth to Heero," Duo shook Heero's shoulder again.

"Huh?" Heero replied.

"Where did you drift off to? We're going to be late. And I do not want Wufei angry at us again for being late; especially when it's not my fault this time." Duo handed Heero his Jacket.

"Sorry, just trying to piece some things together," Heero put the jacket on as he rushed past Duo to the door.

"Well let me in on it when you get the answer will ya?" Duo closed the door behind them, still muttering to himself, as he followed Heero to the car.

****************

Decker Health Center

The heavy wooden door opened slowly; its hinges crying out as if in pain. The woman sitting behind an ancient desk looked up from her work, irritation shadowed her face. "Come in Lindsey, you're late. Take a seat so we can begin."

"I'm sorry Dr. Ying. I met a new friend while out in the gardens and we lost track of the time," Lindsey slid into an overstuffed chair in front of Dr. Ying.

"I was apprised of the situation," Dr. Ying leaned against the high back of her leather chair. "What would you like to talk about today, Lindsey?" Dr. Ying's eyes darted briefly to the ornate mirror on the wall than back to her notebook. Quatre and Scott were supposed to be in the room with them during the session, as they had with all the others, but Lindsey had already met Quatre and assumed he was also a patient. It would destroy the milieu of the session if they were present now. Dr. Ying insisted they remain in the observation room this time.

Lindsey looked much younger than her stated 23 years. Small and waiflike, she sat with her legs bent and feet on the chair cushion; her arms wrapped loosely around them with her chin resting on her knees. "I'd like to talk about Quatre."

"Who?" Dr. Ying hid her recognition of the name with a well practiced questioning look.

"The boy I met today at the gardens," Lindsey responded. Dr. Ying remained silent allowing Lindsey to continue.

Behind the mirror Quatre and Scott kept their conversation to soft whispers and short written notes. Even with the sound proofing it was best not to take the chance of disturbing this last important session. Scott raised his sandy eyebrows in question. Quatre shook his head and wrote `I only went along with her idea of why I was here.'

"What did you find that was so interesting in him, Lindsey?"

"Well….he was very nice and polite," Lindsey paused and chewed on her lower lip in thought. "He even played in the fountain with me. He seemed to be having a lot of fun until…" a prolonged silence filled the room as Dr. Ying patiently waited for Lindsey to continue. The youthful girl stared into the mirror that graced the wall.

Behind the mirror Quatre's eyes met Lindsey's; staring at each other as if they were in the same room. Seconds past until Quatre lowered his barrier of control over his empathic abilities, to connect with Lindsey again; being careful this time not to lose total control.

"Until what, Lindsey?" Dr. Ying pushed her to continue.

Lindsey continued to gaze at the mirror. "Nurse Catherine and some man Quatre knew came to get him for a session," Lindsey twisted her hair around her finger in thought. "They didn't treat him badly, but I knew what that man really felt about Quatre. It still burns in my mind," She closed her eyes and shook her head as if to clear away the thoughts.

"Now Lindsey, we've discussed this many times before," Dr. Ying interrupted.

Lindsey's eyes narrowed in contempt. "I know Doctor, you always insist what I see and feel and hear are just hallucinations created by my illness. But I know the truth."

"Let's get back to Quatre, you both seemed to be getting along very nicely," Dr. Ying redirected her back to their original subject.

Lindsey's expression changed instantly to relaxed contemplation, the underlying tension suddenly gone. "Poor Quatre, he has a boyfriend you know. The family disapproves of course. Isn't that how it always goes. You find the love of your life and there is always some one ready to take them away from you, betray you," Lindsey's hands clenched and unclenched nervously.

Dr. Ying leaned toward Lindsey. Could she dare broach the subject now? "Do you see Quatre's situation as similar to yours, Lindsey?"

Lindsey tilted her head slightly in thought. She seemed to be studying the Doctor. "Quatre? The same as me? In what way do you mean?"

"You said that you both had boyfriends your families disliked…"

"Logan was not disliked!" Lindsey's voice rose in pitch. "We loved each other very much; we had plans for a wonderful future together. Ask Ginny. I confided all my dreams, everything to her," Lindsey fidgeted in her chair.

"Ginny isn't available Lindsey. Why don't you tell me what you talked about?"

"Of course Ginny isn't here; traitor that she is. Lying traitor," She spat venomously. "She told everyone she knew of our plans; it got back to my parents. They tried to stop us, but I couldn't let that happen. We needed to be free.

"Yes, free to spread our wings and leave all the ugliness of that wretched little town behind us. They were always watching and whispering about us. We couldn't be ourselves there."

Lindsey continued to ramble on as Quatre lightly tasted her emotions which changed as quickly as her words. She still felt different than any of the others. He just couldn't put his finger on why. It was almost like being at the fountain again. Even with a tighter control over his reception, he still felt like he was experiencing what she was thinking, not just feeling. How could this be possible? The quickly changing flow was starting to give him a headache. Was Scott feeling this in the same way as he was? He needed to concentrate more to keep control.

Lindsey was pacing around the room now; like a trapped animal, her eyes darting around the room looking for an avenue of escape.

"Ginny is your best friend, Lindsey. She was a friend of Logan too," Dr. Ying pushed. Lindsey had to accept her denial of the situation and finally admit to the truth of what really happened.

"Yes, they were friends; we were all friends!" She emphasized. "Sometimes we played games, you know, fantasy games."

"What kind of fantasy games, Lindsey?"

"It's forbidden to tell. We all agreed. We all believed and couldn't doubt or we had to face the consequences. Eyes were always watching us. Our silence had to be heard or we met with the universal justice."

"Something went wrong; didn't it Lindsey?"

"It couldn't be helped. It was the only way to return to the place of innocence. To stop the eyes from watching."

Hearing Lindsey attempt to explain, for the first time, what had happened brought the images of mangled and mutilated bodies, recorded in the detailed narrative from the police report, to Quatre's mind. He could feel each violent and vengeful stab and cut. His headache grew worse as the minutes passed. He wanted it all to stop. His mind screamed out in pain.

"Yes, their eyes. The eyes are the mirror of the soul; are they not Doctor? Love and hate, it's all there to see and feel," Lindsey's knuckles turned white as she griped tightly onto a small chair against the wall by the mirror. She stared intently at her reflection, she seemed distracted. "Who said that? Can't you hear him Doctor? He's crying out, it hurts, stop it!"

Dr. Ying stood, fearful that she may have taken Lindsey too close to the truth. Before she could say a word or move toward her, Lindsey screamed.

"Someone is watching! I can feel them! Stop watching me!" Lindsey swung the chair with strength that didn't match her small frame, smashing the mirror to pieces.

Even though it only took moments, everything seemed to move in slow motion. Quatre sat mesmerized, unable to budge as the chair moved toward the glass barrier. Scott attempted to place himself between Quatre and the mirror. Two large orderlies rushed into the room and restrained Lindsey immediately and dragged her from the office.

"Traitor! How could you! I trusted you!" Lindsey screamed. Her faced lined with anguish, her eyes wild as she continued to look at Quatre and Scott as she struggled to free herself from her captors.

"I'm terribly sorry gentlemen Are you alright?" Dr. Ying asked nervously, her shaking hands attempting to smooth her hair and clothes. "She has never been this violent in a session before," Her voice remained shaky as she tried to maintain her composure. "I'm not exactly sure, but she was so close to accepting the reality of what she did; almost a breakthrough really. It is something I can build on."

Scott and Quatre stared at the Doctor in disbelief as they brushed shards of glass from their clothes. "Dr. Ying, I believe you are one of the most incompetent doctors I have ever seen in my career," Scott's temper was at a slow boil now; a feature that Quatre had not witnessed before. "You have totally misdiagnosed this poor creature! I'm sure Quatre will agree with me on this."

"Excuse me! You have no right to criticize; what credentials do you have to pass such judgment." Dr. Ying continued in her outrage.

"This girl is not a schizophrenic. She is mentally ill, but she is also an empath," Scott turned to Quatre for confirmation. "You felt it too."

A light turned on in Quatre's mind. "Yes, that's what has been confusing me about her; why the emotions were so strong. She was projecting actively; it was more than just me reading her."

"What are you two talking about?" Dr. Ying's confusion showed on her face.

"What you thought as the classic hallucinations of schizophrenia were, in fact, the budding abilities of a very powerful empath, Doctor. It appears that her friends' hidden feelings for each other could not remain a secret from Lindsey, no matter how they tried. It all drove her over the edge. Unrequited love turned to hatred, revenge and murder."

"Lindsey is an empath," Dr. Ying shook her head in disbelief.

"As are Quatre and me," Scott revealed. "I'll set up a contact for you with someone in the field who will help you treat her properly," Scott turned to Quatre. "Our work here is finished, let's go." Scott turned abruptly and walked toward the door, Quatre followed, as if on cue.

They left Dr. Ying muttering to herself.

*****

Quatre continued to rub at his temples as they neared their rooms. Catherine appeared from behind the nurses' station. "Quatre, are you alright? News travels fast around here."

"Yeah, just a headache that won't go away. Do you have any aspirin?"

"Coming right up," Catherine disappeared and returned with a glass of water and a small paper medicine cup. "Are you alright Scott? I heard you really gave it to hard ass Ying."

Scott let out a loud laugh at Catherine's comment. "What? You haven't seen her in action before. She is one of those women doctors who think they always have to prove they deserve to be a doctor."

"I've known a few people like that," Quatre added. "If you'll excuse me, I think I'll skip dinner for now. I'd like to lie down and get rid of this headache."

"Sure, Quatre, I'll make sure a tray is saved for you. I'll see you in the dinning room Scott," Catherine gave a little wave and left to finish her duties.

*******

Quatre crossed his room and quickly closed the blinds against the brightness of the setting sun. The glare caused the incessant throbbing in his head to increase. He decided to do one more thing before retiring. He picked up the small plastic placard, reopened the door just enough to place the `Do Not Disturb' sign on the door knob.

Quatre settled onto the bed and tried to find a comfortable position. He needed his body to relax and dissipate the built up tension. He began to breathe deep and rhythmic breaths, concentrating on each inspiration and expiration, letting his mind drift to more pleasant thoughts. Thoughts of returning home to Trowa.

He hadn't realized he missed Trowa so much until now. He pictured how Trowa looked the last time they were together, the contented smile on his face as he slept in the early morning light of their room. Quatre smiled to himself remembering their lovemaking, after which they confirmed their love and trust to one another. A knock on the door barely registered during his musings. There were the sounds of voices and laughter, but they soon disappeared and Quatre drifted off to sleep with images of Trowa dancing in his head.

*****

Catherine and Scott walked along the corridor talking and laughing. Scott carried a dinner tray for Quatre. Stopping at Quatre's door, Catherine gently knocked before noticing the small sign on the door knob. "I did tell him we'd leave him a tray."

"I'll put it in the staff refrigerator. You are off duty now, are you not?" Scott headed toward the staff lounge.

"Yes, I am," Catherine walked with Scott and smiled coyly.

"I believe you still owe me a tour of the gardens," Scott replied with a seductive smile of his own.

*****

It was close to midnight when the couple returned from the gardens. The dimmed hall lights reflected the relaxed atmosphere of the Center's sleeping clients. Their conversation remained soft in tone due to the lateness of the hour.

"I think we should check on Quatre to make sure he is alright," whispered Catherine.

Scott stopped by the door and noted the sign still in place. He decided not to knock, but to just peer inside instead. He found the door locked when he tried the knob. "I'm sure he's fine. A good night of undisturbed sleep is just what he needs after what happened today."

"Then I'll say good night, Scott. It's been a pleasure assisting you and Quatre."

"This has been a most interesting adventure. I'm sure we may meet again, sweet Catherine," Scott lifted her hand and placed a kiss upon it. Catherine's cheeks burned crimson.

"I had better go," Catherine turned and walked quickly away.

Scott's emerald eyes twinkled with mirth as he watched until she was no longer in site.

Scott entered into the darkness of the room, his hand searched along the wall for the light switch. As he delved further into the darkness, the door suddenly slammed closed behind him. The slight breeze it produced sent a chill down his spine. He heard it before he felt it, the whooshing of something heavy coming toward him. But it was too late, his attacker was swift and Scott fell to the floor, his vision blackened matching his surroundings.

Scott's perceptions slowly returned. His head throbbed where a lump has appeared on his skull. He squint his eyes in pain, as sparks of light invaded his sight when he tried to lift his head slightly. He let out a moan, as he let his head fall back against the pillow.

A pillow, his mind registered. He was in a bed, so someone must have found him. He tried to sit up but found he was unable to move arms or legs. Opening his eyes to the dimly lit room, he realized he was tied down. "What the Hell?" He heard movement beyond his line of sight. "Who's there?" Silence was his answer. He opened his mind up, reaching out to whoever was in the room. He felt a tortured mind, a mixture of the known and unknown. He was certain the person was a patient. He had touched so many this week; which one? The only right answer would be Lindsey after today's events. How could she have gotten out of lock down?

"I know who you are," Scott spoke softly, trying to maintain calm. "You can untie me now, then we can get Catherine to bring you back to your room. I won't lodge any complaints."

Out of the corner of his eye Scott could just see the person sitting on a large chair in the far corner of the room. The light from the bedside lamp obscured their face and any other features. The person was just a shadow.

A low laugh came from the shadowed figure.

"Show yourself!" Scott yelled out in irritation as the mocking laugh continued. The soft gauze that held his hands and legs tightened with each movement as he twisted in his restraints. "I demand that you release me at once. If you cooperate, I'll make sure you aren't disciplined," Scott tried to bargain.

"Discipline, I find that term very appropriate," The mysterious figure spoke.

"Quatre?" Scott asked in disbelief.

Quatre leaned forward, his face revealed in the lamp light. "Who else would you expect in our bedroom?"

"Our bedroom, what are talking about?" Scott asked in confusion.

"Why Trowa, did you think I would let you run off and leave me for Catherine that easily?" Quatre said, mockingly.

"You've been bad, Trowa. I trusted you and gave you my undying love all these years and this is how you repay me?" Quatre stood, inching closer to the bed as he talked. "Having an affair with Catherine, a person you've told me was like a sister to you?" The mattress sunk under Quatre's weight as he sat on the bed next to Scott, close, but not quite touching. "I can feel your lust; it's burned into my mind. I've lusted myself, but he only had eyes for someone else. In the end, it only made me desire you even more," Quatre edged closer. "I've been so lonely without you, Trowa. I can't sleep anymore."

Scott's thoughts raced in a million directions. He needed to escape, which was doubtful with the skill which Quatre had tied him. He needed to get help. His eyes searched in the dim light for some way he could signal for help at this late hour. He needed to get Quatre's head back on straight. It was obvious now that Lindsey's empathic abilities had affected him again, but to what extent? The ramifications of Quatre's experiences here did not bode well for his intended use against Relena.

"Lets play the game, Trowa, fulfill all my forbidden fantasies," Quatre's face filled Scott's field of vision, warm breath touched his skin as Quatre's hot lips surrounded his own; his tongue demanding entrance. Scott struggled to release himself from Quatre. He stopped, frozen with shock as Quatre's hand cupped his groin and began to massage his flaccid organ to life. "Oh Trowa," Quatre moaned into Scott's mouth.

Scott forced his head to the side and spit out the taste of the mixed saliva. "Quatre, stop this right now. Remember where we are; why we are here. I'm Scott Crotty; we're members of the Preventers."

Quatre closed his eyes; an angelic smile graced his lips. "Ummm, a new name, I like that," Quatre almost hummed in anticipation. His fingers crawled upward to unfasten Scott's belt. "I've gotten so tired of playing circus."

"Tell me where we are Quatre," Scott tried again to focus Quatre on reality, so far without success.

"I'm here and….somewhere else…." Quatre paused, trying to grasp a fleeting thought. "No, it's nothing, just a crazy thought," Quatre's fingers lowered the zipper of Scott's pants.

"Quatre, stop this now," Scott squirmed, trying to avoid the intimate contact. "You have to get Catherine; she will understand and help without causing any trouble."

The smile disappeared from Quatre's face. Anger flashed in his darkened eyes. "Catherine, it's always Catherine. What is it about her that fascinates you so? Does she play the game better than me? We've all played the game together, Trowa, why is it so different this time?" Quatre hissed in disgust.

Scott stared into eyes that lacked a soul and tried to sever the connection between Quatre and Lindsey, but it felt like he was hitting a brick wall. He continued to twist his wrists in an attempt to loosen his bindings until he was able to slide one wrist within the slack he caused in the gauze.

Quatre's voice came soft and menacing. "I can look into your heart, Trowa. I can see into your soul. Tell me what you're looking for," Quatre slid his hands beneath Scott's shirt, easing his fingers up Scott's chest. "Is it pleasure without love? I can give you that, Trowa," Quatre began to play with Scott's nipples, bringing them to a quick hardness. "Or, I can give you pleasure with PAIN!" Quatre twisted Scott's nipples, evoking a scream from his victim.

Scott arched up from the bed in anguish, his limbs strained against his bindings. For a fleeting moment, he felt something trace along his palm. Breathing heavily, Scott tried to control his thoughts and emotions. There was no telling how Quatre was interpreting the emotions he was receiving.

"Quatre, please," Scott choked out. "You have to let me go," This rationalizing was getting him nowhere. Surely someone heard him cry out.

"Play the game, Trowa, that's all I ask. Play the game," Quatre begged as he slowly unbuttoned Scott's shirt, exposing his heaving chest.

Yes, play the game, Scott thought. I need to keep him occupied until I can release myself. "Tell me what to do, Quatre."

Quatre's eyes lit up with pleasure. He adjusted himself on the bed and straddled Scott's hips, pressing his hardness against Scott's. Quatre's fingers slid up and down his flanks as he fluttered light kisses across his chest. Scott swallowed hard, not wanting to reveal his true emotions to Quatre. He twisted his loosened hand again, searching for what had crossed his palm earlier. After several more attempts, he had it in hand and pulled as hard as he could on the emergency cord. The small click was music to his ears.

"Oh, Trowa, can you feel it? Ahhh….I feel danger…..I feel…….obsession." Quatre continued to writhe against Scott's body. "I…I see love….passion. I hear a voice who says…. I love you," Quatre's movements stopped suddenly as if on command. Scott was unsure what Quatre would do next. He could hear Quatre's raspy breaths in his ear. "It's Catherine again, isn't it? Don't play games with the one who loves you." [1]

Quatre slowly raised himself above Scott's body. Scott felt the pillow beneath his head move slightly. Quatre's eyes flashed with instability that Scott knew meant that Quatre's sanity hovered near the edge. Scott held his breath as he tried to remain motionless.

"TRAITOR!" Quatre screamed as if in pain. "I knew you both would betray me!" Scott felt a sharpness press into his throat. Small drops of blood formed along the edge of the scalpel blade.

"Scott, are you alright? Open the door!" Catherine's voice came through the door as she pounded on it.

Through clenched teeth Quatre growled. "Look into the mirror of your soul. Love and hate are one and all. Sacrifice turns to revenge and believe me; you'll see the face who'll say….I love you. I'll kill you. But I'll love you forever." [1]Quatre raised the bloody scalpel above Scott's face. In a few simple motions it would all be over. Scott closed his eyes as the pounding on the door continued. Too late he thought.

Everything moved as if in slow motion. Catherine and several orderlies crashed into the room. Quatre was subdued before the scalpel could hit its target. Catherine released Scott from his bindings.

Scott brushed her aside to reach Quatre. "Don't sedate him," Scott insisted, as Quatre struggled against his two large captors, crying out like a wounded animal.

Scott grabbed Quatre's face with both hands, forcing him to look directly in the eye. "Quatre, listen to me and do exactly as I say."

Quatre continued to struggle. "I'll kill you. Let me go!"

"Hold him tighter, don't let him move," Scott shouted at the orderlies. The smaller of the two lay across Quatre's lower body and legs while the larger sat behind him holding his arms in a lock hold. "Quatre, look at me," Scott slowly lowered the controls he had held tightly over his emotions. He opened himself up to Quatre. "Quatre, reach out to me, tell me who I am."

Quatre refused to speak. His harsh breathing slowed as he stopped fighting against the orderlies. Scott voice became a low whisper, musical and fluid. He began the guided imagery instructions from the meditation routine he gave Quatre during their first session together. Time seemed to pass slowly as nothing seemed to be happening. Quatre's face slackened, his muscles relaxed and became almost flaccid. His breathing became slow and even, matching Scott's, while they still maintained eye contact. Except for Scott's gentle voice the room was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. Quatre's lips moved in silent words that became a low whisper. "Scott….Scott, Lindsey….she needs our help." The only coherent words Scott had heard uttered from Quatre's lips in the last hour and he speaks of Lindsey. Quatre's eye lids closed and he remained motionless, not another spoken word. Scott knew that he had fallen into Alpha sleep.

Scott instructed the orderlies to bring Quatre to his room and guard him and notify him when he had awakened.

"Scott, what the Hell has been going on here?" Catherine demanded. "The director is going to want a full report. Especially after what has happened to Lindsey tonight as well."

"What about Lindsey, you mean about her session this afternoon?" Scott settled onto his bed, still shaking inside.

"No, a few hours ago Lindsey went manic in her room. She was still agitated from the session and her usual medication wasn't working on her. Her night nurse left her for a few moments to get an order from the house doctor for something stronger. When she returned, Lindsey was huddled in the corner and blood was on her hands and the floor. When she turned Lindsey around…." Catherine sat heavily on the bed next to Scott covering her face with her hands. "Some how she had managed to obtain a sharp object; it was one of those combs with a long pointed handle. Oh God, Scott, she gouged her own eyes out!"

Scott pulled Catherine to him and held her tightly as she buried her head into his chest. "Just like she did to her friends before she killed them," Scott finished for her. He could feel her start to cry.

They sat there in silence until Catherine regained her composure. "I need to speak with Dr. Billings immediately," Scott said.

"I'm sure he is probably here by now. He is alerted when anything of this nature occurs," Catherine responded.

"Then inform him I want to meet with him in his office in fifteen minutes," He instructed Catherine. Scott left her sitting there and went to Quatre's room.

Quatre was still asleep as if nothing had occurred in the last few hours. "Gentlemen, you are to stay with him until I return. I can assure you he won't wake unless I tell him to." Scott tuned to leave then stopped. "While you're waiting, please have our belongings packed and put in our car. We will be leaving as soon as I meet with Dr. Billings." Scott continued on his way.

Fifteen minutes later Scott entered Dr. Billing's office. Raised, muffled voices could be heard, then silence. Ten minutes later Scott returned to Quatre's room, finding all in accordance with his instructions.

He stood beside Quatre's bed and began speaking in the low fluid voice as before. Quatre slowly awakened and stretched out his stiff muscles. "What's going on, Scott? It's the middle of the night."

"Answer me a few questions first," Scott said. "How do you feel?"

"How do I feel? Tired of course, you just woke me up," Quatre answered as best he could.

"Anything else?" Scott asked.

"Scott, what is this about? You wake me up in the middle of the night during one of the worst nightmares I've had since the wars ended and you ask me how I feel?!" Quatre became irritated.

"That's good enough for now. I'll explain on our trip home. Get dressed; we're leaving in ten minutes."

****

During the long trip home to Preventer Headquarters, Scott told Quatre what had happened. Quatre was obviously shaken and upset that his nightmare was real. He apologized profusely over and over again to Scott.

"What about the Center and Lindsey's family?" Quatre asked.

"It's all been taken care of. Lindsey's injuries would have occurred whether we were there or not. She was at the turning point of her therapy anyway. What I'm concerned about now is how you may react if you try to evaluate Relena when she arrives. If she may indeed have some sort of mental disorder similar to Lindsey's, I fear for your safety Quatre. I will present my report to Lady Une as soon as we get back. I'm sorry, but I will recommend that your abilities not be used at all on Relena during this investigation."

"I understand, Scott, and agree completely," Quatre said sadly as he stared out the car window watching the landscape fly by. "Will I be able to use my abilities at all after this?"

"I don't know Quatre. Only time will tell." Scott continued to drive in silence. They stopped for brunch at a small restaurant. After they were seated and waiting for their orders, Scott excused himself to use the restroom. Quatre sat in silence wondering how he was going to explain all this to Trowa.

******

Back in the Sank Kingdom, Relena hung up the phone following a pleasing conversation. Natasha entered the office and handed her their itinerary for their visit to Preventer Headquarters. She looked over the items then took her pen and added an item to the agenda for their meeting with Lady Une.

"So, I see you have found who you were looking for." Natasha said.

"Yes, he was most eager to accept my offer. Thank you for the suggestion. I never would have thought of him for the position. He does make a perfect fit, if I say so myself," Relena said smugly. "Shall we be off? I can't wait to begin."

"Go ahead to the car; I forgot something in my room. I'll be right with you," Natasha ushered Relena toward the door.

*****

In a secluded room a secure communications port opened. After several long moments, the audio link kicked in; the voices of the participants digitally altered to hide any chance of identification. "Your report, what is the status of our plans for the Preventers?"

"On schedule, Sir, they should be unprepared. Our subject seems unaware of us and our purpose. The subject is isolated and totally under my control. I have their full confidence in all matters. I've worked long and hard for this, Sir. I won't fail."

"Make sure you don't. Our plan can not succeed without that control."

"Understood."

[1] Dialogue used by Lindsey and Quatre in this section was found on the CD Love, Sensuality, Devotion (LSD) the greatest hits by Enigma. Some lyrics are word for word others inspired by the CD. It just put me in the right mood. Let me know what you think.

TBC