Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ A Fine Line ❯ Chapter 10 ( Chapter 10 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Title: A Fine Line 10/?

Author: Gossamer Wings (gossamer__wings@hotmail.com)

Rating: R over all, NC17 for chap. 7 and later chapters

Pairings: 1+2, 1x2(eventually, have patience) 3x4, 5+S

Warnings: Shouen ai, Yaoi, language, violence. Character death chap. 6

Disclaimer: GW belongs to Sunrise and others. Plot and original characters are mine.

AN: Thanks to all of you who have continued to follow this fic. I'll try to answer all your reviews as they come in. Hope this didn't make you wait to long.

Archives: www.geocities.com/shinigami_heart89/index

www.mediaminer.org type in Gossamer Wings

If you want it ask so I know where it goes.

Chapter completed August 2003

Chapter 10

The week dragged on endlessly as the four Preventers slaved away gathering data from computer and paper files, all to please Relena while hopefully saving the Preventers and the peace at the same time.

"Hey Trowa, isn't Quatre supposed to be back tomorrow?" Duo asked. "I need to get back to my own work."

"They should be in by late afternoon. According to Une, he said it has been an interesting experience, but will wait until we're all together to tell us everything."

"Well, I'm sure up for a party. What about you guys? It's been all work and no play since I got here." Duo complained jokingly.

"Duo, I do not think this is the proper time for a party. There is much work to be done yet." Interjected Wufei.

"I didn't mean a *party* party Wu." Duo emphasized by making quote marks with his fingers. "None of you are party animals anyway. A night of pizza and stories, maybe a movie." Duo's voice trailed off. "It's been a while since we were all together, that's all." Duo finished dejectedly.

"I'm sure Quatre would like that. When we arrived here and ran into Heero, he did suggest we all get together." Trowa said.

"We'll be there Trowa, just tell us when." Heero stared down at Wufei. "Quatre will still be giving you and Lady Une the official report as well as his trainer."

"Probably over the weekend then, I'll let you know." Trowa said with a faint smile on his face.

"Great! I'm just about done with my list anyway. What about you Heero?" Duo asked hopefully.

"Just one more item." Heero answered.

"Two or three for me." Trowa added.

Wufei looked at the papers in his hand in disbelief. "I still have two whole pages."

"Guess you've been spending too much time with Sally, huh?" Duo nudged Wufei.

"Maxwell! It is obvious that whoever divided up the list gave me a few extra pages. It was divided evenly for the three of us before you joined the group." Wufei waved his list at Duo.

"Hey, don't blame me Wu, I didn't divvy up the list." Duo crossed his arms in front of himself in defense.

"Stop calling me Wu! It's *Wufei*, Maxwell, *WU* * FEI*"

"And I have a first name too, *WU*. It's DUO if you've forgotten* D U O*!" Duo stressed as he started to stand.

"Wufei! Duo!" Heero shouted. "Now is not the time for this petty infighting. The information needs to be compiled before Relena arrives. Arguing amongst ourselves won't accomplish that." Heero's eyes spoke volumes more left unsaid.

"I divided up the lists Wufei." Trowa spoke up. "Give us some items off yours and we'll all be done. Quatre would be very upset if we failed to work as a team at this point." Trowa extended his hand, waiting for Wufei to make a decision.

"Take the last page, if you need more let me know and…" A persistent knocking on the door interrupted Wufei mid sentence. "Enter" He called out.

Vivian entered timidly. "Mr. Chang, Lady Une instructed me to give you this message personally. She wants a reply right away."

"Thank you Vivian." Wufei said as he read the note. "Damn it! Relena is arriving next week! That is ahead of her scheduled arrival. We won't be ready for her."

"This is unusual for her not to keep to her prearranged schedule." Heero commented. "Especially with Pagan so recently deceased."

"Oh great, there goes the party idea out the window." Duo sighed as he slumped in his chair.

"Miss. Relena is coming here?!" Vivian exclaimed excitedly. "How wonderful, I haven't seen her in such a long time."

"You know Relena Peacecraft?" Wufei asked in surprise.

"Why yes, we both went to St. Gabriel's until my father was transferred to another embassy. Our fathers both being in government employ. Mrs. Darlian and my mother are distant cousins. Until the world found out she was a Peacecraft Princess, I always thought of us as related." Vivian giggled then continued to reveal her knowledge of Relena.

Duo leaned over and whispered to Heero. "If she didn't move, you might have had two stalkers"

"We both have one. Vivian is stalking you now." Heero replied, the only emotion showing was a mischievous twinkle in his eyes. Duo refrained from making his next comment.

"She would write and tell me all about her adventures during the early part of the war. You were all so brave. I wish I could have helped you like Miss. Relena did." Vivian continued.

"Thank you Vivian. I'm sure you will have a chance to meet with Relena sometime during her visit. We're very busy here and have quite a number of files to locate before her arrival." Wufei said trying to dismiss Vivian.

"Could I help you? I started in the research library. I know the filing system upside down and backwards. Duo, you said something about missing a party. I wouldn't want that to happen." Vivian flashed a hopeful smile at Duo as she picked up papers from the table. "Are these all that's left to do?" She scanned the list quickly comparing it with the computer screen. "Oh dear, this can't be right."

Wufei fumed at Vivian's impropriety until he heard her last statement. "What do you mean Vivian?"

"Well, the list is long and the file numbers all seem different but in actuality you only needed to do about a third of this list." She stated matter of factly.

"What do you mean, Vivian?" Wufei asked again.

"Hey Wu, your repeating yourself." Duo smirked.

"Well, the filing system has a double redundant backup. Each record has two electronic and two paper backups. One set of each is only accessible by high clearance and the other is available for agent use, in case files get lost or destroyed. You're really done with your list. I guess whoever made these requests didn't know the filing system so probably is not a Preventer." Vivian finished with a pleased smile.

"Wa Hoo!! The Party is on!" Duo shouted heading for the door. "I'll pick out the movies you guys pick up the pizza. I can't wait to hear all of Quatre's stories."

"Maxwell, stay here. Vivian you can go now." Ordered Wufei. "Thank you for your assistance."

"Anytime Mr. Chang. I'm always available to do my best for the Preventers. I'll do anything to get away from the reception desk. I feel like a real agent now." Vivian practically floated out the door.

"She rambles on as much as you do Maxwell." Wufei said shaking his head. "Are you *sure* you don't have any relatives?"

"If you're implying I'm related to Vivian, I'm positive I'm 100% orphan." Duo insisted. "She might have had a flash of inspiration here but she's not always the brightest crayon in the box."

"Heero you've been working on the computer system since you've been here, didn't you know about the filing system?" Wufei asked with a growl.

"I only worked on internal surveillance and external search programs as well as help Duo with the PPO assignment." Heero countered. "You've been here longer than we have. She said *any* Preventer knew how the records were filed."

"Maybe we've all gotten a little lax since the end of the war." Trowa interrupted the heated exchange. "Remember that is the way it was supposed to be, living real lives, not soldiers and spies. Let's just go through everything and weed out the duplicates so Lady Une will have them by tomorrow. At least we don't have to explain the contents.

"You're right Trowa. I apologize for my lack of knowledge on that matter. Let's put this argument behind us so we can go home. Agreed?"

Hours later they had finally finished and dropped the information at Lady Une's office, along with Vivian's explanation for the reduced number of files.

"Is the commissary still open? I could use a snack." Duo asked.

"I don't know how you can eat like you do and still stay as small as you are, Maxwell." Wufei commented.

Duo stopped dead in his tracks. "I was told it was because I was malnourished as a kid." Duo said sternly, the strain showing in his voice.

"Oh Duo, Mr. Yuy, Mr. Barton, Mr. Chang, wait up! I have something for you." Vivian's voice defused another potential argument.

Turning toward the voice they saw Vivian walking quickly to catch up to them while balancing a large tray. As she came closer something slid off the tray. Vivian tripped and lost control of her burden, its entire contents sailing their way. The group scattered like a flock of pigeons as the clang of metal rang out.

"AW FUCK IT ALL!!" Duo yelled out as he slipped and slid trying to get up from the floor. He was covered from head to toe in multiple hues of white, browns, red and blue. "What the hell is this shit!?"

"I'm sorry!" Vivian said as she knelt to pick up items from the floor. "I meant it as a surprise to thank you for letting me help you today." Vivian started crying. "It was make your own sundae day in the commissary." She sniffed and wiped her eyes.

"Ice cream?" Duo said as he wiped a finger across his face and tasted. "Yup, sure is." He looked down at his ruined uniform. "Damn, what a waste of good ice cream."

Heero offered Duo a hand getting up as they tried to ignore Wufei's uncontrolled laughter.

"Whatever look you were going for Maxwell, you sure missed." Wufei said as he tried to control himself.

"I'm so sorry Duo. Can I get you a towel?"

"No Vivian!" Duo snapped with an angry look at Wufei. "Come on Heero let's get out of here."

"Mr. Chang." Vivian started hesitantly as she watched Duo leave with Heero. "Will Duo stay mad at me? It was an accident."

"Accident…yes, right, an accident Vivian." Wufei tried to answer as he held back further laughter as he walked away.

"Don't worry Vivian." A soft voice said behind her. "Duo's anger is usually short lived and I'm sure he's not upset with your good intentions." Trowa said to comfort her. "But it might be best if you keep your distance for a while."

"Thank you Mr. Barton. If you'll excuse me. I'll call for clean up now."

*************

Geneva

"Has there been any reply from them concerning my early arrival Natasha?" Relena asked wryly.

"Not really, only a formal acknowledgment from Lady Une that all would be ready for your arrival as you requested." Natasha replied as she poured a cup of tea for Relena.

Relena took a long sip of the tea, savoring it's sweetness before she spoke. "Really now. I'm surprised they are that efficient to have collected all of the information. Are you sure you made the list long enough Natasha?"

"Positive Miss. Relena. I requested a variety of subjects. There will have to be errors and omissions." Natasha took a sip of her own tea. "You can say they were hiding information from you if that is the case."

" Heero is there, if he had a hand in the data collection it will be accurate." Relena pointed out.

"Ah yes. Heero Yuy, your former Chief of Security. The young man always did seem to throw himself into his work body and soul." Natasha sighed as she put her cup down.

"Always obsessed with work and procedure." Relena sneered. "He never made time for the more pleasurable things in life. Not that I didn't try."

"Then Mr. Yuy didn't know what he was missing Miss. Relena. It is his great loss."

"Natasha, you've become a good friend these last few months. I don't know how I could have managed without you. When Heero quit and now poor Pagan…." Relena paused in remembrance of the dear man.

"It's a pleasure serving you and I value our friendship." Natasha smiled sweetly as she patted Relena's hand. "I have some correspondence to take care of and the finalization of our schedule for our Preventer visit." Natasha stood and collected the tea cups and tray. "I'll bring the final draft for your approval later."

"Keep me informed if anything new comes in before we leave." Relena told her as Natasha left her alone in the study. Relena smiled to herself, pleased that she would have the upper hand in dealing with Heero and the Preventers. She will enjoy the looks on their faces when they hear her plans for their worthless organization. It was she and her ideals of Pacifism that saved the Unified Earthsphere. The Preventers have nothing to show for their efforts to maintain the peace. Their time had come. It was time to rid the government of the last reminders of the last two wars.

**********

Decker Health Center

Quatre stretched the kinks from his muscles before he rose for the day. The week at Decker had gone much better than he had expected. He was able to differentiate the subtleties in the many disorders he had been allowed to evaluate as well as a few unauthorized patients he had met on his daily travels through the facility. He was feeling quite confident in this new phase of his abilities. What was once a curse for him was finally becoming a useful talent. Of course he wouldn't have been able to have progressed this far without Scott's valuable training and guidance. But that guidance he had depended on had been faltering the last few days. Scott remained infatuated with Nurse Catherine. He left Quatre on his own so often that he became irritated when he needed advice in a few situations. Maybe it was just Scott's way of letting him know he was good enough to be on his own. Scott certainly wouldn't be around to hold his hand when Relena arrived. So, Quatre concluded, it was all for the best.

Their time here was almost finished. Today would be the last full day with a brief final meeting in the morning with Dr. Billings. After that they would be on their way back to Preventer Headquarters and Trowa. He felt a little guilty that Trowa had crossed his thoughts very little the last few days. He just attributed it to his concentration on the training and set that thought aside as he continued dressing for the day.

"Quatre, are you up yet?" Scott's cheerful voice came through the door accompanied by his usual musical knock.

"Yes, come in Scott." Quatre called back.

Scott entered with a large, cat that just ate the canary, grin on his face "Wonderful news! We will be attending Lindsey's therapy session this afternoon. It took a little more pressure on my part, but they finally stopped stalling."

"It may be that she was too unstable until now Scott. The patient's health is the first priority here." Quatre said, offering a plausible explanation for their not seeing Lindsey at all. "And it should be ours as well."

"But it would have been perfect for us to see her in all the different frames of mind she's been in all week. You need to see the extremes of a condition to fully understand it Quatre." Scott insisted.

"It's more important for Lindsey to regain her mental health Scott. If we missed our chance with her I feel I've learned enough to detect abnormalities in Relena."

"The session starts at 1500, we're free until then." Scott turned to leave. "I suggest you use the time to prepare yourself with clearing and meditation. I expect this to be your most challenging experience yet." Scott left the room never really listening to Quatre's protestations.

Quatre shook his head in frustration over Scott's obsessive insistence on meeting this poor child Lindsey. What more could really be gained from one more therapy session. If it wasn't already arranged he was ready to pack his bag and leave. Quatre inhaled deeply then exhaled slowly. It was time to put aside the frustration and distractions. He had a job to do, he was a professional and it was time to be one with a calm and cool head to focus on today's main objective.

******

Quatre spent the day alone, keeping his distance from everyone as much as possible. He refrained from using his abilities throughout the day to prevent other emotions from intruding on his mind. Quatre decided it was now best to leave the building and all people completely. He needed a quiet location for his meditation. It was the part of his training he enjoyed the most. It created the most relaxing and refreshed feeling he ever experienced in his whole life. If he had failed at everything else Scott taught him, he was grateful for mastering this one technique.

Walking down the stone steps from the back portico Quatre made his way to the beautiful landscaped gardens he first saw on his arrival. It was like entering another world. The sounds of the soft warm breeze rustling the leaves of the trees, a distant call of a hawk above him as it glided on the air thermals in search of a meal, the buzzing of bees as they visited flower after flower in their quest for nectar. The sounds of life were all around him.

Quatre chose a comfortable grassy spot under a towering willow next to the reflecting pond. Its long flowing branches would protect him from anyone approaching and disturbing him. He settled into a slow rhythmic breathing and began to let his thoughts come and then discarded them until his mind became empty and free.

"Oh, hello." A timid but surprised voice jarred Quatre from his meditation. "I didn't expect to find someone under my tree."

Quatre blinked several times to bring his vision into focus until he saw the face of the voice's owner. A slight wisp of a young woman stood before him with medium length pale blonde almost white hair that fluttered in the breeze. Her eyes were an almost transparent gray.

"Your tree?" Quatre questioned.

"You must be new here. Everyone knows when I'm out this is my tree." The girl said seriously.

"I'm sorry. It was such a perfect place to be right now. I needed a quiet place." Quatre replied.

"Since you put it that way, I can sympathize with you newbie." The girl said as she settled down on the ground in front of him with her arms resting on her crossed legs. "So, how long have you been here? Don't think I've seen you around." Her pale eyes seemed to drill holes thru him even as her face warmed with a pleasant smile.

"I'm Quatre and arrived earlier this week." Quatre offered, expecting the girl to reply similarly.

"Well, nice to meet you Quatre. I'm Lindsey and I guess you could say I'm an old timer. Seems like I've been here forever. As long as Dad wants to pay the bills they'll keep me until the money runs out." Lindsey cocked her head to the side with a thought. "Did your parents stick you here too?"

"No, it's nothing like that." Quatre tried to explain but stopped, thinking it better for Lindsey to think of him as just another new patient.

"Bet they didn't like the friends you hung out with or was it a girlfriend they thought wasn't good enough for you and the family reputation?" Lindsey tried to pry into Quatre's history.

Quatre chuckled at her question as he thought of his Father's reaction to his participation in the war with the other pilots, who were now his best friends, or what his Father would have thought about his relationship with Trowa.

"Was something I said funny?" Lindsey asked.

"No. Now that I think about it, my Father greatly disapproved of my friends and he most certainly would not approve of my boyfriend." Quatre continued.

"Boyfriend?" Lindsey asked, surprise then disapointment showing on her face. "Damn, all the good ones are always taken or gay." She said with a sigh. "Then that is why your family put you here, to change your *attitude*."

Quatre let Lindsey believe what she wanted. He would be gone tomorrow and this was a good opportunity to observe her alone without any staff interference.

Lindsey picked at the moss on the ground with a faraway look on her face. "I had a boyfriend once. We wanted to stay together forever but Dad must have found out about our plans. One day Logan was telling me of his undying love and the next he just suddenly disappeared. Rumor had it he ran away. But a few other people I knew just disappeared that summer too. One was my best friend Ginny. She knew how much I loved Logan. Not a trace was ever found of either of them. I really miss them."

Quatre mentally compared Lindsey's version of her life with her file and hid his shock. How could someone block out such events. He knew it happened but seeing someone in such denial.

"That's enough of that." She said with a bright cheery tone. "It's hot out here, let cool off a bit." She stood pulling Quatre with her, leading him toward the reflecting pond. "Come on, take off your shoes and socks." Lindsey slid out of her own shoes and began rolling up her pant legs to her knees. "Well?" She asked as Quatre stopped staring and began to mimic Lindsey's actions and joined her in the cool clear water.

This could not be the same Lindsey whose report he had almost memorized and overheard staff speak about. Now would be perfect to probe her emotions before she saw him as another observer or rather intruder would better describe what he would be doing. Slowly he let his defenses down, layer by layer.

Quatre observed Lindsey as she splashed and danced playfully in the shallow water before she ducked under the rhythmic spray of the fountain. Lindsey's laughter echoed around him. Slowly Quatre began to meld with her. She felt so much different than the others. His body became warm with acceptance and friendship. Quatre felt safe and probed further. He felt light as a feather about to float away; a sense of freedom he never felt before. Quatre held on; savoring the feeling of freedom, the lightness of it, its sweet taste flooded his taste buds, the freshness of Spring rain filled his nostrils. He had never felt emotions in this way before. The air around him hummed and vibrated in a melodious symphony of its own. It was wonderful, addicting. It was something he had wanted his entire life. To become this way forever was…. so… tempting.

"Quatre…. Quatre…. Can you hear me?"

Movement…. Shaking…... A booming voice echoing in his ears.

"Quatre, snap out of it!" The voice demanded

He was falling, falling back in slow motion, suffocating darkness began to swallow him. He needed to save himself from drowning in the darkness. He reached out trying to find a stable surface.

"Trowa! Are you out there?" His mind screamed while not a sound escaped his lips.

Quatre's hand grabbed tightly around something large and warm. Was he home? The movement had stopped, he could feel the solid earth beneath the bare soles of his feet and daylight crept into the darkness and suddenly blinded him. His surroundings returned as a multicolored blur at first than came into slow focus. A pair of emerald green eyes with a wisp of brown hair. A familiar voice brought him back to reality.

"Trowa? Trowa, when did you get here?" Quatre asked as he rubbed his eyes.

"Quatre, look at me. How many fingers am I holding up?" Scott asked anxiously.

"Two fingers, I see two fingers." Quatre answered correctly then scrutinized the faces in front of him.

Scott knelt in front of him with extreme concern on his face. Catherine was on Scott's left worry showing in her eyes. Lindsey stood silently behind them, her expression unreadable.

"Scott, Catherine, what happened?" Quatre asked in positive recognition.

"I think you experimented a little too far on your own Quatre." Scott admonished him. "We better get you back to your room to clean up before the session.

"I'm sorry Scott. I won't let it happen again. Guess I still need training wheels." Quatre joked as Scott led him inside.

Catherine followed behind with Lindsey in tow. "How did you get outside Lindsey?" Catherine asked. "Everyone worries about you."

"Will Quatre be alright?" Lindsey asked. "He seemed so happy until that man pulled him out of the pool. Did that man bring him here to get him away from his boyfriend? He said his Father didn't like his boyfriend." Lindsey continued to question Catherine when they separated from Scott and Quatre.

"Lindsey, you know we can't talk about the other clients here. It's against the rules. Catherine reminded her. "Keep moving. You need to dry off and change before your session."

TBC