Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ A Fine Line ❯ Chapter 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Title: A Fine Line 9/?

Author: Gossamer Wings ( gossamer__wings@hotmail.com)

Rating: NC 17 in some parts, R overall.

Disclaimer: The GW universe belongs to someone who profits from it not me. The plot and original characters are all mine.

Parings: 1+2 (1x2 eventually), 3x4, 5+S

Warnings: Yaoi, Shouen ai, language, violence, occasional sap The story follows a long time line of over 6 months.

Archive: www.geocities.com/shinigami_heart89 and www.mediaminer.org If you want let me know, I'll probably say yes.

Chapter 9

A Fine Line

AN: I know I haven't mentioned Relena in a while, but she and Natasha have been very busy after Pagan's funeral with "preparations" for her official visit to Preventer's Headquarters. This chapter deals mainly with more of Duo and Heero and Quatre's further training at Decker Health Care.

Please let me know what you think of this. I appreciate all the reviews I received so far. I hope to continue pleasing you, but Real Life has been getting in the way of writing this year. I don't want to post if the content doesn't meet my and your expectations for this story.

Thank you all for being patient.

A Special Thank You goes to Maaya who has graciously archived my fics at her site. Please thank her by visiting her site www.geocities.com/shinigami_heart89

Gossamer Wings

*****************

The steady clink of the clock's second hand resonated in his ears as it continued its endless journey. The seconds turned into minutes, the minuets turned into an hour before Heero finally stirred from his thoughts. He had expected Duo to return. Duo was always the one to make the first move when they had disagreements, but this wasn't just any ordinary disagreement, if it was a disagreement at all. Personal space, very personal space, had been invaded. As innocent as it started out, Duo would be devastated over it, thinking it would end their friendship. He had to let Duo know that it did no such thing. The issue now was how to approach him without making the matter more embarrassing for him.

Heero took a deep breath and stood, straightening his pants and jacket before heading for Duo's surveillance center, formerly known as computer room 4. The door remained closed, a sign Duo didn't want to be disturbed. Heero raised his hand to knock. It was only right for him to make the first move to apologize this time.

"Heero, I was just heading to your office." Sally said approaching him.

Heero turned, his hand still raised ready to knock. "Can it wait? I need to speak with Duo."

"It concerns your questions about Duo. Remember those extra tests I ordered?" Sally handed Heero an envelope.

"L2." Heero murmured as his still raised hand reached for the envelope. "Follow me." Heero motioned for Sally to follow him to an unused office. He didn't want Duo to walk in on them. Closing the door behind them Heero offered her a chair, which she refused.

Heero stared at the unassuming plain white envelope as if it were Pandora's Box itself. What secrets did it hold? Would it harm or help Duo?

"It's not going to bite Heero." Sally spoke up, interrupting his thoughts.

Heero opened the envelope, removing several sheets of paper which contained the report and began to read each page thoroughly. He reread the conclusion page again, making sure he understood completely before turning his attention to Sally.

"Are you completely certain these results are accurate?" Heero asked firmly. "There could be no mistakes?"

"No mistakes Heero, this lab triple checks all their results." Sally assured him then hesitated before speaking again. "How will Duo take this information?"

"With relief, now that he will know the truth. I trust him enough not to start becoming reckless in his actions." Heero stated.

"When will you tell him? It shouldn't be put off for very long." Sally said

Heero nodded in agreement. "Yes, the sooner the better." Heero moved to the door. "He can come to you for further information?"

"Of course." Sally said as she allowed Heero to leave the office first. She watched him carefully as he knocked, and then entered the room. She thought she saw a moment of hesitation in his actions, a look of concern on his face that disappeared quickly. She shook her head no; she was surely just imagining it, projecting her own feelings onto Heero. She'll check with him tomorrow for Duo's reaction. It was time to get back to work.

Heero opened the door immediately after hearing a muffled `come in'. He could feel Sally watching him, it made him feel uncomfortable.

The room was dimly lit and it took a few moments for his eyes to adjust to the change from the brightly lit hallway. He approached the figure sitting at the console. As he got closer the person turned toward him.

"Trowa? What are you doing here?" Heero asked, expecting to see Duo.

"Duo said you might come in later looking for these." Trowa handed Heero the papers Duo had left for him.

"Ah… yes. Where's Duo? I may need to ask him for further data." Heero said.

"He left a while ago. He went to attend the PPO recruiting meeting, remember?" Trowa explained. "He said you were too busy to monitor him, so here I am. I've nothing else to do with Quatre away, unless you want to take over?"

"No, you have everything under control. I need to go over this data. Duo thought he saw something that could be important." Heero berated himself as he closed the door behind him. How could he have forgotten about the PPO meeting? Duo had depended on him to monitor the meeting and he had let him down. It was just one more item to add to his apology to Duo.

********************************

Decker Health Center

The strains of soft classical music permeated the formal salon creating a relaxing atmosphere for the slowly growing gathering of patients and staff. Trays of refreshments were served by the same group that had served lunch.

Quatre had the impression that these socials were also a form of therapy to help the patients relearn valuable social skills.

Quatre impatiently checked his watch again. Scott was late. They were supposed to arrive together. He could only surmise that Scott was chasing after Nurse Catherine again. She had a most congenial personality but Quatre was sure she could draw the line if Scott went too far. She had to be strong in order to work with difficult patient problems that arose in a place like this.

"Quatre, may I introduce you to Rolf?" Catherine's voice came from behind him.

Quatre turned coming face to face with Rolf, who stood between Catherine and Scott, his hand awkwardly outstretched for a welcoming handshake. Quatre recognized Rolf as the orderly who had showed them to their rooms. Now, no longer dressed in his white uniform, he looked a little different, more nervous.

"Good evening Rolf. It's good to see you again." Quatre said as he shook the offered hand.

"The pleasure is all mine, Mr. Winner. I trust you were able to settle in." Rolf said as he quickly pulled his hand away and began to rub it against his jacket.

"Yes, we have. Your instructions were very helpful." Quatre replied, as Rolf continued rubbing his hand on his jacket.

The information from Rolf's file came to Quatre immediately. Yes Rolf, a patient who had been readmitted repeatedly despite the behavior modification programs and medications. Rolf was still unable to cope on his own, plagued by the rigidity of the endless routines of his obsessive compulsive disorder. His failure at several attempts at independence had led Decker to provide Rolf with permanent employment in capacities that incorporated the weaknesses of his condition.

"Rolf was telling me how much he enjoys working here at Decker. Weren't you Rolf?" Scott said, nudging the conversation along. Scott gave Quatre a signal to open his senses toward Rolf.

"Um… ah… yes." Rolf began as his fingers started to fasten and unfasten the three buttons on his suit jacket. "I've been employed by Decker for five years now. It's a wonderful place. It's like having a second family."

Quatre concentrated and let his mind search through Rolf's emotions. The feeling of stress was overwhelming almost painful, underlined with fear. It wasn't a fear of the unknown. He knew that all too well himself. No, it was fear mixed with frustration. It seemed directed at Quatre himself and Scott, frustration and disorder. That was it. Quatre and Scott did not fit Rolf's expectations of someone who should be at Decker. Disorder must be prevented at all costs. Routine must be maintained, must follow the routine and all order will return.

Quatre closed his eyes tightly and counted backward from ten, closing down his connection to Rolf. When he reopened his eyes he saw the concern on Catherine and Rolf's faces.

"I'm sorry, just a slight headache starting. If you'll excuse me?" Quatre politely excused himself. Scott followed after him giving his own apologies.

"Quatre, are you alright?" Scott asked with real concern.

"Yes, no real headache, just a little excuse to get away and clear my mind." Quatre answered.

"Are you sure you want to continue?" Scott asked.

"Yes. It was just not what I expected to feel from someone with OCD. I'll filter the emotions a little tighter from now on." Quatre assured Scott as he absently rubbed his sweating hands on his jacket. "Let's get something cold to drink. It has gotten a little warm in here."

The evening progressed more smoothly after that. They met briefly with all the requested subjects. Quatre was now more careful in his sampling of emotions. He became a Gundam pilot again. He was on a mission to obtain information. As important as the information was, it was imperative not to damage the pilot. Without the pilot remaining healthy, the information was useless and the mission a failure.

Throughout the evening Catherine introduced them to Tess, who suffered for chronic depression. She had returned to Decker for a trial of new medication. She had gone through many different kinds with limited results.

Penelope was introduced several times during the evening but as Leslie, Cathy, Johnny and Little One on each new introduction. Multiple personalities were truly rare and often misdiagnosed, but Penelope was the real thing. They were getting closer to integrating and seemed eager to cooperate for that goal.

Gundren seemed on the verge of tears all evening. She assured Quatre it was only temporary until the proper dosage of Lithium was reached. Manic depression could be so exhausting with its periods of highs and lows and normality in between.

The gathering wound down as staff led patients back to their rooms and the gentle music ended. The kitchen staff efficiently cleared away the food and dishes.

"I hope you enjoyed your evening meeting our special clients?" Catherine asked Quatre and Scott. "The clients really do enjoy applying what they learned in therapy to realistic situations."

"So you also go on outside adventures with them as well?" Quatre questioned.

"Of course, therapy wouldn't be complete without group and individual activities outside of Decker. The town is used to our comings and goings."

"Lindsey wasn't here tonight. I had expected to see her here also." Scott said with disappointment.

"She was….uncooperative during therapy today, so was denied the privilege of the social tonight." Catherine offered as an explanation.

"There will be time to see Lindsey before we leave Scott. I thing we've accomplished a great deal tonight." Quatre said, to divert Scott from becoming confrontational.

"We should be saying good night as well. It is getting late and breakfast is early here." Scott said apologetically. "See you tomorrow then?"

"Yes Scott. I'm not off until your visit is finished, then I'll start my vacation."

"Vacation, it sounds wonderful. It will be a while until I can take one." Sighed Quatre

"Well, goodnight all." Catherine said as she left them. She, going down the all to staff quarters and Scott and Quatre up the stairs to their room.

*******************

The car slowed as it approached on of the ornate homes on the tree lined street. "Is this the one?" The driver asked as he came to a complete stop in front of a house. It was a neighborhood that screamed old money. All the lights were off except for a small one above the front door.

"Yeah, that's the one. Thanks for the lift!" Duo left the car quickly gave a wave to the driver and made his way to the house. Unfortunately, the driver was staying put, watching his every move. Duo casually reached into his pocket then unlocked the door, waving again before closing it behind him and turned off the light.

Duo sighed with relief as the car finally pulled away. He waited a few more minutes to be certain the car didn't double back before leaving the house. He fingered the lock pick in his hand before placed it back in his braid.

Old skills should never be forgotten. They just might save your life someday and maybe tonight they did. He couldn't think of anything he said or did that could have aroused suspicions. He'll have to discuss it with Trowa in the morning. He may have picked up on something from monitoring the meeting.

Duo stayed in the shadows of backyards and alleys until he felt he was sufficient enough distance from where the PPO member had dropped him off. Duo passed on taking the bus home; it was too risky to take a chance of being seen by someone who was at the meeting. Besides, the walk would give him time to think about certain events from earlier in the day. As much as he tried to push the thoughts away, they kept creeping back for his attention.

By the time Duo reached the apartment complex he knew his luck had run out. Soft light flickered from the open window as the warm night breeze ruffled the sheer curtains. Heero was still up; hopefully not waiting up for him. Duo did not want to face Heero now to talk about the afternoon's incident under the desk. All the way home he had dwelled on what to say, but whatever explanation he thought of just didn't feel like the truth. If he himself couldn't believe the reasons that popped in to his head how could he expect Heero to?

Heero hadn't planned on waiting up for Duo but here he was. There was too much that had happened today to let his mind rest, much less go to sleep. He needed to talk to Duo but where to start and when? The office incident? Sally's blood tests? The PPO meeting? The communication data? All were important and all needed equal time.

Heero picked up the remote for the vidset and resumed surfing the channels for something to help him relax. With over 200 channels there should at least be a few choices. In the end he settled for an ancient Japanese monster movie with really cheesy prop monsters and awful English dubbing. He had to admit the current scene of the main character holding a bird cage with two miniature women singing a song to call the monster for help was different from what he expected.

Duo was surprised to find Heero so engrossed with the vidset that he didn't hear him come in. This could be his chance to avoid Heero tonight if he could sneak past him. Duo padded softly toward his room until he saw what Heero was watching and started to mouth the words to the song the miniature women were singing.

Heero felt a presence behind him and turned his head. "Duo, I didn't hear you come in." Hero interrupted Duo's attention from the vidscreen.

"Hey, isn't that the movie Mothra? I didn't know you liked this ancient stuff. I forgot it was Japanese Monster Week on the Classics channel." Duo said as he slid onto the couch next to Heero and reaching for the vid listings, the earlier concerns over confronting Heero suddenly forgotten. "Yup, they're playing all the classics too. Godzilla, Son of Godzilla, Mothra. Hey they even have the one where a group gets ship wreaked on an island, eat fungus and all turn into murderous mushroom people. Cool huh?" Duo asked Heero with a huge grin.

Heero's eyebrows rose in disbelief. "You mean there are more of these with similar bad acting and dubbing and cardboard sets?" Heero asked incredulously.

"Hundreds Heero, there's even sequels!" Duo started to count out on his fingers. "There's Mothra, The Rebirth of Mothra, Rebirth of Mothra I, Rebirth of Mothra II and Rebirth of Mothra III. You also forgot to mention the rubber monster suits." Duo snickered. "You wouldn't believe how many times they had to destroy Tokyo to make these." Duo kidded with a wink then stood up and began to stomp around monster-like roaring and waving his arms around. "I'm an angry sea monster and must stomp on fake buildings and toy trucks. ROAR!!!"

"Duo keep it down, you'll wake the neighbors." Heero cautioned.

Duo continued to stomp from the couch to the coffee table and then lost his balance, falling to the floor in a giggling heap. "Ugh! You got me!!" Duo gasped, feigning a monster's demise. When he opened his eyes he was pleased to see a smile on Heero's face instead of a scowl. Duo smiled back.

Duo rolled over to push himself up putting his hand on loose papers he had knocked to the floor. Picking them up to return them to the table, he noticed his name on them. "What's this all about?" Duo asked, as Heero automatically tried to pull the papers from Duo's grasp.

"No I need to explain about those!" Heero said anxiously, his voice tinted with uncertainty.

"Please do. Why are you looking into my medical information?" Duo countered, hurt showing on his face quickly erasing the happiness it contained just a few moments before. "Are you afraid I'll give you the L2 plague too?!" He spat.

"No Duo." Heero pleaded as he still held onto the papers with Duo. "Just the opposite."

Duo stopped struggling for a moment but not enough to relax his hold on the crumbled pages. "You have 30 seconds to explain or I'm out of here." Duo stared at him with a conviction Heero knew all to well.

"Duo… I wanted to prove to you that your idea of being a carrier of the plague is wrong. I wanted to clear your conscious of all the self recrimination you put yourself through and the guilt you feel about your past." Heero halted for a moment, searching Duo's face for a change that showed acceptance. "I asked Sally to run some extra tests. She thought I only asked because of the mission; so you wouldn't be distracted." Heero swallowed hard, his mouth becoming dry. "I've seen you suffer like no one else has. I hear your nightmares. I… I just…" Heero stopped for lack of the words he needed to say but eluded him.

Duo's eyes and grip on the papers softened. "You were just acting like a best friend should Heero, wanting to help knock some sense into my thick skull." Duo released the papers and Heero took them, smoothing the wrinkles out on the table. "Is that why you're still up?"

"There were other reasons." Heero answered softly, avoiding Duo's gaze for a moment. "But they can wait."

Duo eased himself back onto the couch not wanting to show his nervousness. He licked his suddenly dry lips before speaking. "Well… what did you find out?"

Heero separated one sheet from the rest, leaving the majority on the table before turning to face Duo. "Most of it is the same tests Sally ran on all of us. Yours are all normal. This sheet has the extra tests that were run.

Duo took the paper hesitantly and began reading as Heero began to speak.

"Sally reassured me even before the tests were done that there was no way you could be a carrier. The virus is never dormant. But you weren't vaccinated against it either. How you managed to escape infection…."

"What is this CCR5 positive?" Duo asked. (1)

"That, Duo is what will free you of your fear of developing or spreading the L2 plague. " Heero said.

"Explain." Duo asked cautiously as his nervousness caused his stomach to turn somersaults.

"You have a mutated gene CCR5, referred to as delta 32." Heero started.

"A mutation. From being born in space?" Duo interrupted.

"No. It's a common mutation found on Earth. But only in regions of Europe that had been affected by Bubonic plague and in America which had been for the most part settled by European survivors and their descendants." Heero began to explain.

"I inherited this from my parents?" Duo whispered as a faraway look formed on his face.

"Yes, you have a double gene sequence. From what Sally researched, both of your parents were probably completely protected as well as their parents. The trait is known to prevent infection from Bubonic plague and HIV and now somehow the L2 plague. (2) It in no way makes you any sort of super human. You have probably been infected with minor illnesses and never realized it. You'll also notice that you tested strong positive titers for all the usual child hood immunizations plus numerous other Earth diseases."

Duo nodded as he looked over the paper in disbelief. "From this information it seems it would take an unusual combination of events to make me ill."

"I wouldn't say that Duo. You could come down with the flu tomorrow and be just as sick as any one of us. You're not immune to everything." Heero insisted.

"So I'm not a Gutter Rat after all." Duo said softly. "That's why I got so upset the other night when you called me a drowned rat." Duo hesitated, closing his eyes tightly at the memories. "You see, gutter rats are dirty and disgusting. They scavenge in the filth of garbage and sewers for anything to eat and survive. They spread disease and death. The human kind as well as the four legged kind. Us street kids were thought of that way, but not all of us were. Solo made sure of it, he… he made sure we survived every day. Until the plague came." Duo hugged himself tightly, his body shook as he relived that awful night in his mind. Fighting the pain and heartbreak of long ago, the heat of forming tears burned his eyes as he squeezed them tighter to prevent their flow.

Heero was uncertain what to do, this information was supposed to bring relief for Duo. Instead it was causing him pain, a pain even Heero could feel, stabbing like searing hot knives piercing his heart.

"When Solo died…. I made him a promise." Duo said, breaking the uncomfortable silence. "I promised to survive. I wouldn't become like the other street trash and gutter rats." Duo raised his head slowly and turned towards Heero. "I kept my promise, didn't I Heero?"

"You did more than survive, and I'm so very grateful that you did." Heero reached out placing his hand on Duo's back. Duo automatically leaned against him, the tension within him easing. They maintained the semi-embrace in silence.

"I don't know what you think of me…" Duo started.

"It doesn't matter Duo." Heero tried to reassure him.

"I don't understand why…what happened today…I…" Duo tried to continue.

"I said it doesn't matter Duo." Heero repeated. "Unexpected events occur. No one is perfect, including me." Heero paused a moment. "Even I have weaknesses."

"Yeah" Duo replied as his fingers traced the multiple scars of varying size that crisscrossed Heero's forearm. "Always putting others before yourself. Other people don't see it Heero, but you have a heart of gold under that rough exterior you show everyone."

"So you think you have me all figured out?" Heero asked.

"Nah" Duo yawned. "You're like an onion. An onion has many layers before you get to the center. I figure I only peeled the first layer." Duo paused again. "Thanks for what you did; just give me a few days to really come to terms with it all."

"I'll be here if you need me." Heero offered.

"I know." Duo said as he reached for the vid controller and unmuted the volume. "Wanna finish watching Mothra?"

"Why not." Heero answered giving a slight squeeze to the shoulders his arm still encircled. Duo unconsciously settled closer. By the time the end credits rolled by they had both fallen into a comfortable sleep.

TBC

Well I hope that gives everyone my theory on how Duo survived the L2 plague and heals quickly in this story. Yes CCR5 is real. Here is where I found the info.

1) www.pbs.org: Secrets of the Dead: Mystery of the Black Death.

It is really very interesting.

2) I speculated here on that subject. I may have gone to far here since I compared the L2 plague with Ebola which infects the body differently. But I had already described it before I found out about CCR5. But who knows what research will find out in the future.

Let me know what you think. Please review, it gets scary not knowing what people are thinking.