Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ A Fine Line ❯ Chapter 8 ( Chapter 8 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

A Fine Line 8/?

By Gossamer Wings

Rating: NC 17, R over all

Warning: Shouen Ai, Yaoi, violence, language

Pairings: 1+2, 1x2(eventually), 3x4, 5+S

Disclaimer: The usual GW stuff. Original content and characters belong to the author.

Archive: www.mediaminer.org If you want it let me know.

AN: This is a `get 1+2' together story with a whole lot more thrown in. I just didn't know what I got myself into when the muses started telling me what to write. This takes place after Endless Waltz and is expected to go beyond 10 + chapters.

Chapter 8

The pitch blackness of the night sky was made more ominous by the bolts of lightning, which accompanied thunder as loud as artillery, before the rain came pouring down in sheets against the window pane. It was becoming more than a typical summer shower, Heero thought, as the glass rattled from the strong gusts of wind.

Heero checked his watch again. Duo said it would take him no more than an hour to place the surveillance devices, plus check files and databases. Duo had already looked the place over earlier in the afternoon while people were still around. Duo should have been back by now, if he had gotten in before the storm hit.

The apartment door crashed open against the wall, just as thunder and lightning began their dance again.

"God Damn weather! It can be said Earth has a lot of nice features, but it's unpredictable, unscheduled weather, is not one of them!" Duo screamed, as he entered the apartment. His boots squished with each footstep, until he stopped in front of Heero, who was making the strangest noises. "And what the Hell is your problem?" Duo asked irritably.

There Duo stood, clothing soaked through to his skin, his wet, disheveled hair plastered to his face and body, as a good sized puddle formed around his feet on the carpet.

"You look like a drowned rat." Heero snickered.

Duo's mouth moved without making a sound, while multiple emotions crossed his features.

"RAT!" He spat in disgust at the term. "How dare you call me that!" He sneered in anger, with a pained look in his eyes. "I didn't expect that to come from you." Duo said, turning to leave.

Heero's laughter quickly died, confusion showing on his face.

"Duo, I don't understand." Heero said, as he reached out to stop Duo, but had his hand shrugged off. "I only remarked about your appearance."

Duo stopped short. Turning to face Heero, he caught sight of his reflection in the hall mirror. Heero watched in silence as Duo stared at himself, raising his hand to touch the stray clumps of hair pasted to his face and clothing. The blankness of his usually expressive face worried Heero. Several long minutes passed and the rolling thunder of the dying storm faded into the distance. Duo shut his eyes tightly, his mouth a taught line across his face as his body began to shake. The sound was almost imperishable at first, and then grew louder until the soft laughter reached Duo's face, his lips forming an almost sad smile.

"Duo, are you alright?" Heero asked cautiously.

"You're right you know. About looking like a drowned rat." Duo answered softly, still looking at his reflection. "Sorry about my reaction." Duo turned to continue to his room, but stopped again. "I'd explain, but it's something I'd rather not talk about just now."

"That's alright; you better get out of those wet clothes." Heero said, acknowledging his friend, but not wanting to pry any further. "When you're ready, I'm willing to listen."

Duo nodded as he walked away. "Sure Heero, but remember, the offer goes both ways.

****

Lady Une's office the next day.

Are Quatre and Scott on their way for the next stage of his training?" Lady Une asked.

"Yes, they left at 0500. They should be there by now. Scott said he would check in after their arrival." Wufei said.

"You are aware that no further communication is allowed until their return. Scott wants no distraction or interference during this critical learning experience. Quatre has to know exactly how each condition would feel like, in order to help us diagnose Relena." Sally informed Wufei.

"He will notify you if anything goes awry? I'm still not 100% convinced Scott and Quatre will succeed in this endeavor. It doesn't give us enough hard scientific evidence to give to the ESUN Security Council." Wufei said.

"Short of having our hands on solid proof that she has been or is under psychiatric care, our hands are tied Wufei. Our best efforts have come up with only routine health exams since she was adopted by the Darlians. Anything from the Sank Kingdom was destroyed and at the young age she was at the time, there being any problems would be highly unlikely." Sally sighed as she sipped her coffee.

The phone on Lady Une's desk rang briefly before she answered it. "Bring it in immediately Madeline."

Une said.

Madeline entered the office carrying a newspaper that was precisely folded to a particular section. She handed it to Une. "I trust this may have an impact on your current work, Lady." Madeline said as she eyed Wufei up and down.

"Thank you, Madeline. I may have further instructions for you later.

Madeline nodded respectfully before leaving the room.

Sally and Wufei watched with increasing curiosity as Lady Une read. Lady Une's eyes widening the further she went in to article.

"Is it the PPO again?" Wufei asked.

"No." Lady Une placed the paper on the desk where they both could see the mysterious article. Their faces showed similar surprise as the bold print of the lead in was revealed.

Sally began to read aloud.

"Commander Arthur Pagan, age 75, died yesterday at the Peacecraft Memorial Hospital following a sudden illness. A life long resident of the Sank Kingdom, Cmdr. Pagan began his career in the Palace Protectorate. He climbed through the ranks achieving the highest position of Commander, where he dedicated himself to the protection of the King of Sank and the Royal family. Following the disastrous demise of the Sank Kingdom, Cmdr. Pagan risked his life to enable the escape and survival of the Crown Prince Milliardo and Princess Relena. During his remaining years, Cmdr. Pagan was the personal assistant and confidant of Princess Relena until his death. He left no survivors. Cmdr. Pagan will be forever loved and missed by all who knew him. Burial will be conducted at the Sank Kingdom Cemetery with full military honors, as decreed by the Princess Relena, in accordance with the late King's wishes."

Silence filled the room as everyone's thoughts centered on the Pagan they thought they knew.

"I always thought there was something strange about him." Wufei said, breaking the silence. "It's no wonder Relena always seemed to know how to find Heero. She had her own personal intelligence office for a butler."

"We can all be grateful for him. Without Pagan there wouldn't be a renewed Sank Kingdom and this new era of peace." Lady Une reminded him.

"Relena must be heartbroken. He has always been by her side. Do you think she'll cancel her visit here?" Sally asked. "If she does, all our plans have just gone up in smoke. We'll probably never have such an opportunity again."

"Let's just hope it will only delay her arrival. We could use the extra time. I'll see what I can find out with her rental accommodations, they may know of her date of arrival." Wufei said, getting up to leave. "Are you coming Sally?" Wufei stood expectantly.

"I'll meet up with you at lunch, Wufei." Sally answered curtly.

Wufei acknowledged her with a grunt and a quick nod before leaving.

Une looked at Sally questioningly. "Something happen last night?"

Sally pondered a moment before answering. "Let's just say it's something that didn't happen and leave it at that."

"Alright." Une agreed.

"That is highly irregular and improper!" Madeline's sharp voice came through the door. Sally opened it slightly to see what had upset Une's secretary this time.

"But Madeline, they bring out the beautiful color of your eyes." A familiar voice replied.

Madeline sat at her desk trying to push away the small container of flowers, in a reverse tug of war, with Duo Maxwell.

She stopped suddenly in the battle of wills. "Do you really think so?" Madeline's face cracked a small smile as her cheeks showed a blush.

"I believe Duo could charm the scales off a snake." Lady Une said softly to Sally, not wanting to interrupt the scene before them.

"Ah, you're free now." Duo said, noticing them at the open door.

"What can I do for you, Duo?" Lady Une asked.

"Wufei has been stonewalling me on my request for exclusive use of one of the computer rooms. I need it for the PPO surveillance." Duo said, as he rushed into the office.

"I'll leave you two to iron this out." Sally said, smiling as she left. "Madeline, what beautiful flowers."

Duo closed the door behind him. "I have all the surveillance devices in place. I need to calibrate them with our equipment here before I attend their meeting this week." Duo insisted. "I need someone monitoring when I can't. Once Relena comes, I doubt Heero will be available." Duo finished.

"Slow down, Duo. I'm sure what you need can be worked out. Which room did you want?" She asked.

"Room four. Heero and I have been using that one since I've been here." Duo explained, as he unconsciously played with the end of his braid.

"The room is yours Duo. We need to know if there is any connection between the PPO and Relena's visit." Lady Une assured Duo.

"Great! I'll get things set up right away." Duo said, turning for the door. "Oh, will I be able to have complete tracing abilities on all of their electronic communications?"

"If you need it, you'll have it. Just find me that connection." Lady said.

"If it's there, I'll find it." Duo answered confidently, turning for the door.

"Madeline's favorite flowers are carnations." Lady Une added.

Duo's smile and twinkle of the eye were enough for her to know he understood.

****

Decker Health Center

Quatre stretched out his stiff muscles from the long care ride. Turning slowly, he surveyed the grounds surrounding the facility. It was not what he expected. The summer sun sparkled from a reflecting pool in the center of spacious manicured lawns with plantings of various types, blooming in their summer time splendor. The building itself was reminiscent of a noble's manor house than a hospital for the mentally ill.

"It's not what you expected, is it Quatre?" Scott asked with a knowing smile.

"No. I expected a more modern hospital type setting." Quatre replied, as they proceeded to the entrance at a slow pace.

"Studies have shown that a quiet and home like setting is very conducive to therapy. Decker is also a private institution; its clients are mainly from aristocratic families." Scott instructed.

"How many clients are here now and what is the average stay?" Quatre asked.

"The population never exceeds twenty. I'd say the average stay is six months, although there is one long term case that has been here for two years without much improvement." Scott finished, as they reached the entrance way.

"What is this person's problem?" Quatre asked, his curiosity piqued.

"That will have to wait until our briefing with the Director." Scott said, after they entered.

"May I help you?" The receptionist asked.

"Yes, we have an appointment with Director Billings. Scott Crotty and Quatre Winner."

"Doctor Billings is expecting you. You'll find his office down that hallway on the right. I'll let him know you are here." The receptionist said.

Within a short time the three had completed the obligatory introductions and settled down to the business at hand.

"Dr. Springer has assured me that the information you wish to accumulate is of great importance to the ESUN. We've been friends since medical school; I value his judgment and understand that discretion in the matter is vital." Dr. Billings addressed them.

"Than you understand that we cannot divulge the purpose behind our request. It demands the utmost secrecy. After we leave, it will be as if we were never here." Scott said.

"Of course." Dr. Billings nodded. Having dealt with many well know families, he knew that denials of treatment were common. The Winner name was not unknown to him. The boy could be here for possible treatment, the ruse of observation of patients perhaps used by his family to get him here. He did seem a bit young to be an agent for the Preventers.

"We will only be here for the week, what do you have lined up for us?" Quatre pushed the conversation along. He wasn't comfortable with the look in the man's eyes. He cast an aura of suspicion that gave Quatre a chill down his spine. Perhaps the man has dealt with too many Romefellar families and feels their visit has an ulterior motive. He planned to keep his abilities heightened at all times while he was here.

They accepted a folder of papers and looked them over as Dr. Billings spoke, "You'll see that I have one or two each of the few conditions you asked about. You should be able to observe and meet them with out any complications to their treatment."

"I don't see the schizophrenic case on the list. That was our number one requirement." Scott said. "I know she is still here."

"I was hoping you wouldn't need to see her." Dr. Billings fidgeted uncomfortably. "She has been…a bit uncooperative with her therapist lately."

"All the better for our needs, Dr. Billings. I must remind you that the ESUN guaranteed us complete control over who we needed to see." Scott said with an almost threatening tone to his voice.

Dr. Billings grew uncomfortable under the intense glare of Scott's emerald eyes, seeming to understand the unspoken meaning in the words.

"I'll speak to her therapist. I'm sure she will cooperate with you." Dr. Billings said as he hastily stood and moved toward the door to show them out. "I'll have an orderly show you to your rooms. Since only one on call therapist stays overnight, I'm afraid you'll be using unoccupied client rooms. The surveillance cameras will be kept off during your stay, we value your privacy. Feel free to use the call bell system if you need anything. The nurse on the section will instruct you in its use." Dr. Billings ushered them into the hall.

"When can we meet with the first subject?" Quatre asked.

"I'll meet you in the staff dinning room for lunch after you've settled in." Dr. Billings continued, ignoring Quatre's question.

An orderly arrived almost on cue. Dressed in white top, pants and shoes and clean cut short hair, he seemed out of place in the elegant surroundings. Climbing the grand central staircase the orderly instructed them of meal times, shift changes and general information. To Quatre the man seemed to be repeating the information by rote, as if he was always assigned to escort new clients and their families. The man continued to drone on without emotion and without asking questions. Quatre felt uneasy around the man. In fact the whole facility seemed to have his nerves on edge already. Quatre shook the feeling away. Perhaps it was just the fact that Trowa wasn't here with him. That must be it.

They arrived at the section their rooms were located, stopping at an open door. A young woman stepped out to greet them with a cheerful smile.

"So you're the special visitors for the week. It's highly irregular, but then Decker always caters to the unusual. You can call be Catherine. We go by our first names here. It makes it more casual and home like. What should I call you?"

"Quatre."

"Scott."

"Alright Quatre and Scott, this way to your rooms." Catherine said, handing them each a small booklet. "Its a little orientation packet we give the new employees. It shows you how to get around the place and a few rules and regulations. Since you won't be here long the maps will be helpful. I think I got lost ten times my first week here."

They stopped at the end of the hall and she handed them each an electronic key. "You're across from each other. Get settled in, lunch is in an hour. You'll hear the chimes when they sound."

"Thank you Catherine, I'll be sure to look for you." Scott gave her one of his most gracious smiles.

"You're welcome Scott." Catherine replied with a giggle.

This Catherine reminded Quatre of Catherine Bloom with the same cheerful personality and he then felt a pang of loneliness for Trowa. He quickly shook off the feeling, knowing that his purpose here was more important right now.

"If you'll excuse me, I'd like to unpack and relax a bit before lunch." Quatre excused himself. Scott just nodded his acknowledgment as he continued his conversation with the nurse.

****

The dinning room, again, was not what Quatre expected. Instead of a large room with multiple tables, there was one long elegant polished, hard wood table, the length of the room with matching chairs along each side. The table was set with delicate china and crystal. A few staff stood by the door waiting to serve. Again he felt on edge. This was a private facility, but the opulence brought his uneasiness to the surface again. They took seats next to Dr. Billings, who was seated at the head of the table, as other employees casually took their seats.

Dr. Billings stood, gaining his staff's immediate attention. "Ladies and Gentlemen, I would like to introduce the guests I told you about. Scott and Quatre…" Dr. Billings gestured toward them. "As we discussed at out regular staff meeting last week, are here to observe a few of our clients. They will not be interfering or participating in any of your therapies."

Greetings and introductions went around the table in a cordial manner. Lunch was served and consumed amid the quiet murmur of conversation. Soon the table was cleared and portfolios appeared in front of various staff members.

"If we may get started." Dr. Billings took command of the agenda. "I have set up a daily schedule to meet everyone's requirements for this week's sessions." A handout was given to Scott and Quatre. "Five days and five disorders will be all you will be granted to observe. I must stress that any noticeable change in our clients and the entire process will be terminated. Is that understood gentlemen?"

"Of course, it has never been our intension to disrupt anyone's therapy.' Scott answered for both of them.

"This afternoon each client's therapist will brief you on their condition, history and any precautions that may need to be taken." Dr. Billings finished.

"Will we be able to interact with them in a relaxed social setting? One on one observation may not suffice for our needs." Quatre interrupted.

"Our clients for the most part are allowed to socialize with each other and staff, Dr. Billings. I see no reason why they can't do the same. It will give a more positive impression of our procedures and the facility." Interjected one of the therapists.

"Of course, Dr. Frank. I'll add the recreation sessions to your schedules gentlemen." Dr. Billings and the others added notes to their papers.

The introductory session continued on as each therapist gave an overview of the clients chosen, which included their history as well as the extent of their therapy so far. Quatre made notes to help him in the days ahead.

"That should cover everything you need to know gentlemen. My staff needs to return to their duties." Dr. Billings and his staff began to depart, leaving Scott and Quatre alone at the deserted table.

"Scott, I get the definite feeling that our presence is not appreciated here." Quatre voiced his reservations.

"Nonsense, Quatre. I'm positive any opposition or suspicion you pickup is mainly their concern for the welfare of their clients. This isn't a teaching hospital, so they are not accustomed to the type of intrusion we represent."

"You're probably correct. If my family were paying for private care, I wouldn't want to be watched like a lab rat." Quatre sighed. "What now? It looks like we're on our own."

They left the dinning room and headed for their rooms. Scott looked over the schedule given them nodding his head. "There is a social gathering after dinner where we can observe all of our subjects together. I should find Nurse Catherine. I'm sure she would be willing to assist us to see these people more often than on the schedule."

"If you don't mind, I'd rather go to my room and study the backgrounds on out subjects." Quatre said.

"Excellent! I do suggest that you perform a few clearing techniques before we attend the social this evening." Scott reminded him. "Oh, there she is now. Catherine! Could you spare a few minutes?" He called as he jogged to catch up with her.

"Sure Scott." Quatre gave an exasperated sigh to Scott's quickly retreating back. "I'll get right on it." Quatre said to himself as he entered his room.

****

Heero sat at his desk in the office set aside for the team's use. Looking over a print out of phone records that Duo had given him hours earlier. No special patterns seemed to catch his attention so far. He would have to run the data through a few programs later. A timid knock on the open door interrupted his thoughts.

"Excuse me, Mr. Yuy." Vivian said shyly.

"What is it, Vivian." Heero said, glancing up from his work.

"I was wondering. Have you seen Duo? I need to talk with him about the other day." She said.

Heero nodded in understanding. She probably wanted to apologize about burning him with the coffee.

"He might be at the commissary." He said, looking at his watch. It was Duo's usual time to go for a snack before lunch."

"Thank you. If I miss him, will you tell Duo I would like a few minutes of his time." Vivian asked.

"When I see him Vivian. If you don't mind, I have work to do." Heero said, returning his attention to his work. Vivian's footsteps faded away.

Not long after Duo entered with a handful of papers. "Hey Heero, look at this for me. I think I recognized a communication rerouting sequence." Duo said shuffling the sheets. "Damn I left it in the computer room. I'll be right back."

Duo came to a sudden halt halfway into the hallway. His eyes widened in surprise, or was that fear Heero saw. Duo rushed back into the office, his eyes darting to and fro like a scared rabbit. The decision made in his mind he slammed the papers he held in front of Heero. He skidded around the desk pulling Heero's chair away.

"Hide Me!!" Duo hissed hurriedly as he squeezed himself beneath the cramped confines of the leg area of the desk.

"Duo! What the Hell are you doing?" Heero asked

"It's Vivian! She's been apologizing every time she's seen me since the accident. She's like the blood hound from Hell." Duo said as he squirmed and wiggled to make himself fit around Heero's legs.

"Duo, there isn't enough rooumph…" Heero started to say before Duo pulled Heero's chair tightly into the desk with an unexpected jerk

A familiar voice reached Duo's ears just as Heero was finally able to regain his breath.

"Heero, have you seen Duo? Wufei asked irritably. "I need to discuss these equipment requests and vouchers he submitted. Does he think we have the deep pockets that OZ once had? It's unacceptable." Before Heero could reply Wufei was interrupted.

"Did I hear you say Duo? Is he here?" Vivian asked, not bothering to ask permission to enter.

Heero felt Duo's fingers dig into his thighs, Duo's reminder to stay silent about him. "Duo is not here. I told Vivian about an hour ago he probably went to get something to eat. I'm not his keeper or need to know where he is every minute of the day." Heero huffed as he glared at Vivian in hope that she would leave.

"I only wanted to tell Duo how sorry I am about burning him."

"Miss. Messer, I distinctly heard you apologize profusely to Maxwell yesterday and this morning. I believe that is quite sufficient. Now if you have nothing better than to chase after Duo Maxwell on Preventer time, I'm sure I can fill your assignment calendar for the next month to keep you occupied."

Vivian's face paled and her chin began to tremble as Wufei continued to instruct Vivian in proper Preventer duties, while Heero sat forgotten at his desk.

The minutes ticked by ever so slowly, neither Wufei nor Vivian noticing Heero's complexion slightly redden. Duo attempted to be still in the cramped quarters around Heero's legs. He wasn't as small as he used to be when he had to hide to protect himself on L2. There wasn't much room and the only place to put his head was on Heero's lap. Well… not exactly `on' his lap, that caused Duo's head to scrape on the underside of the desk. Without thinking, he pushed Heero's legs apart to rest his head on the seat of the chair.

Heero's eyes widened as he felt each hot breath that Duo exhaled against his sensitive inner thighs. Heero swallowed hard, gritting his teeth tightly to prevent the involuntary moan that threatened to escape his lips. The heat continued to assault his skin creeping upward, sending a tingling sensation to his groin. Vivian's words became a distant echo of muffled sounds as Heero's consciousness centered on his hardening arousal that was now being nudged by Duo's nose.

Duo cursed mentally as Wufei's voice droned on and on. What should have been just a few moments under the desk, so Heero could brush off Vivian, had now turned into unexpected torture with Wufei's arrival. It was becoming a little too warm, wedged as he was between Heero's legs. The heat of his own breath encompassed him as it mingled with Heero's scent. He was beginning to get a little lightheaded from the lack of fresh air. Unconsciously he took deeper breaths, beginning to savor this new experience, it was almost intoxicating. His fingers slowly loosened their tight grip on Heero's legs, sliding upward until they reached Heero's firm ass, pulling him closer. In the dream like state Duo was in, his mind was trying to figure out why he seemed to have moved position when Heero's voice brought him back to the present, finding his nose in direct contact with Heero's full arousal. `I'm gonna die! I'm gonna die!' is all his mind keep repeating.

"Wufei! Vivian! Could you take this conversation somewhere else!" Heero's irritated voice choked out. "I have a lot of work to do. I'll tell Duo you were looking for him when I see him."

Vivian disappeared immediately, to avoid further verbal lashing from Wufei. Heero cut Wufei off before he could continue to speak. "Lady Une has personally approved off of Duo's requests. I suggest you discuss them with her if you have any questions."

"I will do that, Heero. Duo better not be dragging us on some wild goose chase." Wufei tossed the remark over his shoulder as he closed the door behind him.

Duo all but expected to be dragged out from beneath the desk by his precious braid. He closed his eyes and clenched his teeth in anticipation of Heero's forceful tug.

Slowly, the chair began to move from beneath his head. "You can come out now Duo. They're gone." Heero said his voice straining.

Duo hesitantly peered from the shadows of his hiding place. "I'm sorry Heero, I…I..." He tried to explain.

Heero cut him off. "Just retrieve the papers you were going to get so we can return to work." Heero told him, never moving from his chair.

"Sure…I'll be right back." Duo edged toward the door, relieved he avoided Heero's retribution for this incident.

"Take your time. I have… something to take care of first."

"Ok…. I should check on my bugs again too." Duo quickly left the office.

Entering the computer room, he locked the door behind him. He leaned heavily against the door, letting out a deep breath as he slid down, settling on the floor. "You. Fucking. Idiot!" He cursed himself, banging his head against the door with each word. "I just groped my best friend like some common street corner whore! How can I go back and face him?" He rubbed his hands over his face in exasperation, rapidly putting them back down after noticing that Heero's scent still lingered. "It was just the result of the circumstances, that's all. Just like the other night when he put the cream on my back. Our bodies were reacting to the circumstances, nothing serious at all." Duo said, literally convincing himself against the reality of the situation and its implications.

Heero remained seated at his desk in exactly the same position Duo had left him in. His hand trailed down his thigh and over his softening erection where the heat of Duo's breaths was fading. How could Duo's closeness cause these feelings within him of…need? No, not exactly. It was more than the physical reaction, the words eluded him as hard as he tried to makes sense of it all. Whatever it was, it was becoming stronger and for once he would not fight against it.

TBC