Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ A Fine Line ❯ Chapter 7 ( Chapter 7 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

A Fine Line

By Gossamer Wings

Rating: R for the majority of the fic; NC 17 for this part.

Warning: violence, language, yaoi, lemon (finally)

Disclaimer: The usual GW stuff. Original content and characters belong to the author.

Pairs: 1+2,1x2(eventually, have patience) 3x4, 5+S

Archive:www.mediaminer.org just type in Gossamer Wings

E-mail: gossamer__wings@hotmail.com and gossamerwings1x2@yahoo.com

C&C: Needed and appreciated, let me hear from you.

AN: As you can see in the above warning, the first lemon has finally made its way into the story. And I do mean first, there will more where appropriate in the story. Hope you enjoy the chapter. Please read and review.

Chapter 7

The same mid-July day as chapter 6. Preventer HQ 1700 hrs.

"Hey Heero, are you almost ready for the meeting?" Duo asked impatiently, as he stood in the doorway, arms crossed, tapping his foot.

"Just a few more minutes." Heero answered, as the printer continued to spit out page after page of information from the autosearch he started days ago. "You may need these if you want to convince Lady Une to follow up on your PPO idea."

"It looks like half the population of humanity is a member of the PPO." Duo complained, as he eyed the growing stack of paper.

"It's my fault. I failed to be more specific with the filter for the needed criteria." Heero remarked.

"Why Heero, you, made a mistake?" Duo said, as he feigned surprise.

"I'm only human Duo." Heero replied, as he handed the stack of paper to Duo.

Duo's mouth hung open in shock. "Oh... My…God! Heero Yuy declares he's human!"

"You had doubts?" Heero asked, quizzically.

"Come on Heero, with the way you behaved during the wars? I was starting to wonder where your rechargeable power pack was." Duo said, almost honestly.

Heero's expression fell into disappointment. "You considered me a robot?"

"I said I was starting to wonder, Heero. It wasn't only because you rescued me after my capture by OZ. You did a bunch of other things that changed my mind. I started to admire you. I knew you weren't just some callous soldier following orders." Duo said, before pausing. "I guess that's what Relena sees in you."

"Let's not go there, Duo." Heero said, breaking the strained silence. "She is a danger that must be nullified. That is another mistake I made, not killing her that night."

"Don't forget I'm the one that stopped you." Duo reminded him.

"I've never forgotten that night, Duo." Heero said, absently touching his upper arm as he looked Duo in the eye. "I have the scars to remind me every day."

Duo searched Heero's eyes, not quite certain of the flicker he saw there. "And you still call me your best friend?" Duo said, shaking his head.

Heero pushed Duo out into the hallway breaking the gaze. "Let's go, we'll trim the list down later."

****

Operation Relena planning session.

Gathered around the conference table, all eyes converged on Lady Une. "Now that everyone is here let me state that from now on, punctuality is expected for all meetings." Lady Une cast a cold stare at Heero and Duo as they settled into their seats. "Especially after Relena arrives. The time we have for preparation is quickly fading."

"Yes ma'am." Duo answered meekly, followed by a grunted acknowledgement from Heero.

"The first order of business is planned testing for Relena. Sally, Dr. Springer, what do you have?"

Dr. Springer and I have a few recruit candidates set to start the preliminary screening tests just after Relena arrives. Besides the standard IQ and psychological tests, we also have the latest psionic brain scanner on loan from the Brussels University. It has been used successfully in diagnosing the most difficult cases." Sally reported. "I would like to obtain blood specimens for analysis, but it might be too difficult to get the cooperation needed. That is where Heero and Quatre will be helpful."

"You expect me to get blood from a rock?" Heero asked skeptically.

"I expect you to be able to talk her into giving specimens or at least find an accidental way to get them, "Sally insisted, strain showing in her voice.

"An accident can always be arranged." Heero replied calmly.

"Sally, Heero! Relena is not to be harmed in any way in trying to obtain the evidence we need. Is that understood?" Lady Une reprimanded them and received their silent assent. "Now, what about the information she requested Wufei?"

"We are more than halfway finished. The files are of a wide variety, from mission reports to inventory and purchase orders. It's uncertain what she is looking for." Wufei explained to the group.

"Like the smooth talker she is, it could just be a ruse." Duo piped up. "The old bait and switch scam."

"The old bait and what, Duo?" Wufei asked.

"I should have said decoy for you to understand, Wu. You know, lead us in one direction then when our guard is down, ambush with the real reason to be here. It's just another slick con game for Relena to get what she wants." Duo said, as he gave a sly glance at Heero and the scowl that crossed his features.

"I'll consider that warning Duo." Wufei said.

"That brings us to the next subject. Scott, Quatre, how is the training coming?"

Scott cleared his throat before proceeding with his report. "Quatre has been progressing quickly. Far faster than my expectations. I have spoken to Dr. Springer's colleagues at Decker Mental Health Center and have arranged a week for Quatre and I to experience the different aspects of a wide range of disorders."

"Is it safe for him to go?" Trowa asked, concerned about his loves health.

"I'm satisfied that Quatre has developed and utilized the techniques needed to protect himself from actually experiencing the emotions he will encounter, Trowa. Do you lack confidence in him?" Scott asked pointedly.

Trowa felt the anger rise within him. Why did Scott always question his concern for Quatre and why did it bother him so?

"I'm concerned about Quatre's health. He was weak and worn down when we arrived." Trowa countered. "He needs to be in the best of health to proceed with this next phase of your training."

"Trowa, I've improved greatly since we've been here. Scott's training has had a significant effect." Quatre interrupted, trying to calm Trowa's increased overprotectiveness since their arrival. "When do we leave Scott?" Quatre asked.

"In a few days, if that is alright with you?" Scott answered.

"A few days? I won't have my data collected by then." Trowa said.

"Your presence is not needed, Trowa. It would be too distracting for the short time they will be there." Wufei told them. "You're needed here."

Trowa's anger rose again, but Quatre put a reassuring hand to Trowa's leg, letting him know he was comfortable with the upcoming separation. "It's something which must be done to insure the peace, Trowa."

Lady Une continued with her agenda. "The next order of business may seem off topic, but I feel there may be a connection. You are all aware of the interrogations this morning. I need someone to head up surveillance of the local PPO offices." Lady Une handed out copies of the literature that was left for them. Each one began leafing through it. Heero and Duo exchanged glances as Duo began to nervously finger the PPO information he brought with him.

"Duo, since you brought the situation to my attention, I've decided to give this assignment to you. Your skills and connections match well for what needs to be done." Lady Une announced.

"I've already started looking into it." Duo answered with a wry smile as he patted the stack of papers in front of him.

"Excellent. Have you seen the sketches of the mystery sweepers Duo?"

"Yup, don't know them at all, but I can pass it around some friends on L2. They might be new to the business or from another colony." Duo said confidently.

There was a small knock on the door before it opened, revealing Vivian, pushing a small cart into the room.

"Miss. Messer, what is the meaning of this interruption? This is a closed meeting." Une demanded.

"Madeline asked me to bring this in, she was delayed." Vivian apologized quietly as her eyes searched for Duo.

"Very well, continue quickly."

The silence in the room was overwhelming as Vivian began distributing coffee and pastry. No one wanted to continue their conversation in front of Vivian. Sally watched as Vivian seemed to become increasingly nervous in her actions, since everyone's eyes were on her every move.

"I have one little reminder to mention." Sally began, breaking the silence and bringing attention to herself. "The physical exams for Trowa, Quatre, Heero and Duo are scheduled for tomorrow morning. Please be on time so we can finish as quickly as possible."

"Physical!!" Duo squeaked out as he attempted to bolt from his chair, bumping Vivian. A bath of steaming hot coffee poured down Duo's back. "AHHHHH!!" He yelled out in instant pain; the hot, wet, clothing now clinging to his skin, making the pain worse.

Heero instantly grabbed the nearby carafe of ice water in front of him and unceremoniously dumped it down Duo's shirt, roughly pushing Vivian away in the process.

"I'm sorry, Duo. It was an accident." Vivian tried to say, but became lost in the commotion.

Sally moved toward Duo with another carafe of water to add to Heero's. "Vivian, you'll have to leave." Sally ordered.

With a nod Vivian backed out of the room.

"Agh! Are you two trying to freeze me to death!!" Duo shouted as more cold water slid down his back.

"It's only to stop the initial burning, Duo." Heero advised, reaching a hand out to stop his struggling against Sally.

"I took first aid too, Heero!" Duo shouted back, but bit back his next comment as their eyes met, seeing the concern there. "I'll be fine in a few minutes." Duo said, straightening up with a hiss. "Oh man, it feels like that sunburn I got when I first came to Earth."

"Sally, take Duo down to the infirmary. Meeting adjourned." Lady Une called out above the others voices. "Duo, see me tomorrow afternoon to discuss your assignment."

"I'll be there." Duo affirmed as he left with Sally. Heero followed close behind.

Scott watched Duo leave with Sally. "I don't see how he'll be able to handle his assignment."

"You underestimate Duo." Trowa said, interrupting Scott's spoken thoughts. "He's much stronger than he looks. Believe me when I say, you do not want Duo angry with you."

"Without his Gundam, what could that slip of a boy do?" Scott retorted.

"He doesn't call himself Shinigami for nothing." Trowa showed an evil grin, leaving Scott with that little morsel of information to chew over.

****

Later that evening.

The apartment door swung open, ushering in the two young Preventers; each carrying a sizable doggie bag.

"Oh man, am I stuffed! Thanks for buying dinner. I don't think I could have made it home without eating. Damn Une for holding that meeting so late."

Heero took Duo's bag and placed them in the fridge for later. Duo would probably be hungry again before the night was over.

A blinking light on the communication console caught Duo's attention. Punching in the access code, the screen came to life, revealing an incoming fax for him. With increased curiosity, he entered his confirmation code.

"Oh Shit! It's from the bank again. Those bastards are going to keep riding my ass until I cough up more credits." Duo said as he waited for the fax to print out.

"Well, what do they have to say?" Heero asked, as he watched Duo read until his mouth fell open.

"I don't believe it?!" Duo said, scratching his head. "They say there was an accounting mix up and instead of being behind, I'm months ahead in payments. I don't get it. That bank has the reputation of being the most ruthless when it comes to their accounting. I've had interest charges added for being just a quarter credit behind."

Heero tried to hide the small smirk that attempted to cross his lips. "I'd say accept your good fortune. You won't be distracted by personal business during your mission."

"I guess your right….Hey! Wait a minute! Did you have anything to do with this Heero?"

`Damn, caught in the act.' Heero thought turning his back to Duo.

"Heero, I wanted to be an honest businessman. I could have hacked into the bank and changed the records too, if I wanted to." Duo yelled.

"I only wanted to help, Duo. It's only temporary, until we're finished with Relena. It was the only quick way I could help my best friend." Heero said, eyes downcast, not wanting to look Duo in the eye. He knew Duo hated lying. What he did was a form of a lie. "I'm sorry."

Duo saw the look of dejection and regret on Heero's face. Heero was only trying to be helpful in a way he thought was the most logical and efficient for the situation. It was his attempt at being a friend the only way he knew how.

"Apology accepted." Duo said.

Heero looked up to see a gentle accepting smile on Duo's face.

"You're right. With the foreclosure hanging over my head, it would probably pop up at the worst time. We can't afford that. This mission is too important. We'll settle with the bank when it's all over."

"Thank you, Duo."

"Hey, don't go all soft on me Heero. We have an infiltration to plan." Duo quickly said, fighting the urge to throw his arms around him.

"I'm sure you have it all planed already." Heero quipped.

"You know me so well, huh? I'll go case the place tomorrow morning, plant my bugs, then set up a listening post at HQ. Don't worry; I'll finish my share of the data collection. Then I'll attend a meeting for new members. I'll be an innocent teen, so willing to help promote pacifism to the entire universe going to Hell and back if I have to." Duo said with his hands over his heart, batting his eye lashes at Heero.

A couch pillow hit Duo square in the face.

"Hey! What was that for?" Duo said, as he flung the pillow back with a laugh.

Heero caught the pillow and returned it again while grabbing another from the couch. The rapid exchange becoming a no holds barred pillow fight, including exaggerated howls of pain, curses of revenge and raucous laughter.

A pounding on the door put an abrupt halt to their rowdiness. "Hey, keep it down in there before I call the cops."

"Yes Sir. Won't happen again." Duo shouted at the door. "Now then, where were we?" Duo said as he raised the pillow again.

"Duo, you can't do reconnaissance in the morning. We have our physicals." Heero reminded him.

The pillow dropped from Duo's hands to the floor and his face went blank. "Fuck." Duo cursed, as he fell to the couch then winced. "There goes a good nights sleep."

"I'll be supporting you, I promised.

"I know. Now the skin on my back feels stiff and ready to crack."

"Where's that cream Sally gave you? I'll put some on." Heero offered

"I think I left it in the kitchen." Duo said, as he removed his boots.

"How about some hot chocolate? It will help you get to sleep." Heero called from the kitchen.

"I'll try anything just about now." Duo replied.

Heero returned carrying two large mugs of hot chocolate, just as Duo was removing his shirt. As Duo stretched his arms to relax, Heero caught himself staring at the contours of Duo's smooth muscles that led to a narrow waist. Duo was no longer the fifteen year old boy he remembered when they first met, almost three years ago.

"Where's the cream?" Duo asked, seeing Heero's hands were full.

"Pants pocket." Heero replied.

Before Heero could put their drinks down, Duo reached into Heero's pocket, his fingers fumbling through the contents until he came out with the tube. Heero fought back a gasp as Duo's roaming hand touched more than the contents of his pocket.

"It's awfully small." Duo commented, bringing Heero back to reality.

"What?" Heero asked.

"The tube of cream. How is this small amount supposed to cover most of my back? "Duo replied.

"Sally said a little bit goes a long way. To apply a very thin layer." Heero repeated Sally's instructions.

"Well, get to it before the chocolate gets cold." Duo said, as he pulled his braid out of the way and laid face down on the couch.

Heero surveyed the angry reddened skin and the few raised blisters that had formed. Deciding to start at the shoulder and work down, Heero squeezed a small amount on his fingers. He dabbed dots of cream around Duo's back, then began to gently spread it with his fingertips.

"Mmmmm…. You're much better at this than Sally." Duo sighed.

Heero's mind didn't register anything beyond the pleasurable moan that came from Duo's lips. He became focused on the feel of Duo's skin beneath his fingers. The uninjured skin was soft and warm, so pliant. His hand trailed downward from Duo's shoulder, stopping just above his waistband and continued to knead the tender skin there. Heero felt warm all over, as an unfamiliar stirring began in his groin. Duo looked so peaceful. His long lashes brushed his cheeks, his face flushed and relaxed, each breath becoming deeper, his body restless beneath him.

Duo's eyes shot open as he tried to push himself up hurriedly off the couch, knocking Heero to the floor with a thump.

"Sorry Heero. Uh…I just remembered my hot chocolate is getting cold." Duo stammered.

"Tha… That's alright, Duo. I was finished anyway." Heero mumbled, as he turned away, embarrassed at his arousal.

"Don't worry about it." Duo said as he tried to keep from facing Heero as well. He took his drink and started for his room, not wanting Heero to see his body's betrayal. "I guess I'll head to bed now….A lot to do tomorrow…. Good night, Heero."

"Good night, Duo." Heero said quietly, as his mind tried to sort out what just occurred between them.

****

Thud……thud, thud…..thud.

Heero slowly awakened to the irregular staccato that filtered through the wall from Duo's room. Now, fully awake, he listened for sounds signaling that Duo was finally settling down from his restless sleep. What he heard was totally unexpected. `It couldn't be' he thought. The sound became louder. Heero pushed away the thin sheet, concern urging him on. He approached Duo's door, hand hesitantly rose to knock.

"Nooooo!" Crash. "Noooooo!"

Heero burst into the room, ready to meet any trespasser. The sight before him stopped him in his tracks.

The soft light from the hall highlighted Duo, crouched on the bed, eyes wide with terror. Tears flowed down his cheeks, falling onto his already sweat glistened skin. His chest heaving with his sobs. Thread bare pajama bottoms hung low on his slender hips. His unbound chestnut mane surrounding him like a halo. Heero could feel the extreme despair that gripped Duo's features, but there was something else. Duo looked beautiful in his sorrow.

Heero was shaken to his senses as Duo reached for some unseen object. "Don't die….you can't."

"Duo." Heero said softly, but Duo couldn't hear him, trapped as he was in the world of his night terror.

Heero slowly approached the bed, so not to startle Duo if he awakened suddenly, and softly sat on the edge of the bed facing him. Duo's fear filled eyes stared through him; his body shivering.

For once, Heero was unsure of what to do. During the war, Duo's nightmares were never much more than thrashing in bed and incomprehensible mumbles. But this; was it safe to wake him?

"Duo, time to wake up." Heero said as he leaned toward him.

"Don't….you'll die too….please don't." Duo sobbed as he backed further against the wall. "Can't lose you Heero …..not now."

Heero was upset that he was included in Duo's nightmares once again. "I'm alright, Duo. You can't lose me. I'm fine." He said more nervously. "See for yourself." Heero reached out wrapping his hand lightly around Duo's wrist.

"Ahhhhh!" Duo screamed as he tried to pull away from Heero's tightening grip. "Too late…Heeroooo…too late….Ahhhh….bloody tears….so much blood…." Duo cried uncontrollably.

Heero pulled Duo toward him, wrapping his arms around him to stop his struggling. Then, an instinct he never realized he possessed took over. Heero nestled Duo's head under his chin and began to rock back and forth as he gently stroked Duo's head continuously. "It's alright Duo, I'm not going to die. It's just a dream, not real." Heero repeated again and again.

"Let…me…die…with you."

"No one is going to die, shhh, shhh." Heero continued as Duo's struggling slowed and his sobs became occasional hiccoughs.

"All die…alone…again."

"You'll never be alone, Duo. I promise, I promise."

Slowly Duo's words faded, his muscles relaxed, his breathing reverted to the deep even steadiness of normal sleep. Unconcerned with the passage of time, Heero continued the gentle rocking, until he was content that the demons that plagued Duo's dreams were indeed vanquished.

Heero tenderly returned Duo to his pillow and pulled up the sheet. As he eased himself off the bed, not wanting Duo to awaken, he stepped on the broken mug. Duo stirred as Heero bent down to pick up the pieces.

"Wha…Heero?" he mumbled sleepily.

"Go back to sleep." Heero whispered. "You broke the coffee mug, it woke me up."

"Sorr…..buy….'nother…." Duo faded into sleep again.

Heero breathed a sigh of relief. Perhaps Duo wouldn't remember the nightmare. But Heero would never forget his promise.

****

The next morning.

"Hurry up, Duo; we're late as it is." Heero said, as he urged Duo along.

"But I'm hungry, Heero. We left without breakfast." Duo complained loudly, the rumbles from his stomach agreeing with his statement.

"Sally said we have blood work to be done that required fasting. You can eat when the physicals are finished." Heero said.

"Just great. Besides being poked and prodded, I have to be a human pin cushion too." Duo snorted.

As they neared Sally's door, Duo's voice trailed off as he slowed to a stop and just stared straight ahead.

An arm encircled Duo's shoulders. He looked up into Heero's face. "I don't know if I can go through with this, Heero." Duo whispered.

"I'll be right with you at all times. I won't let you panic. It's only Sally, we've know her for years." Heero said, encouragingly.

Duo took a deep breath to calm himself. "Let's go."

"It's about time you two got here. You're lucky Sally is running late." Quatre said. He and Trowa were already stripped down to their underwear.

"Just great." Duo groaned. "Sally is the one who insisted on us being on time. Now she's late and I'm starving!"

"Then you have time to fill these out." Trowa interrupted, handing Duo and Heero forms to fill out.

Heero studied each question thoroughly before writing each answer. Duo just scanned the list and scribbled his answers as quickly as possible to get it over with.

Duo looked around for something to distract him from the growing butterflies in his stomach. He knew better than to bother Heero just now and Trowa and Quatre were involved in an intense but quiet conversation on the other side of the room.

There had to be something to do to keep his mind occupied or relieve his hunger. Blood tests be damned, he was getting light headed as it was. He had to have food. Then his eyes fell on Sally's black bag on the floor. Maybe Sally had a secret candy bar for emergencies.

Duo walked over to the bag slowly and just looked at it as if it were some strange dangerous animal ready to pounce. Slowly he reached out and hesitantly put his hand on the handle. He lifted the bag, holding it at arms length and dropped it on the counter as if the handle were to hot to touch. Looking around, he was relieved the others were not paying attention to him. He let out a long sigh, not realizing he was holding his breath. He wiped the few drops of sweat that were starting to form on his forehead.

Duo opened the bag and proceeded to poke around the contents. Thermometer. Nope, he had people try to stick that in unmentionable places. Small flashlight. That could come in handy tonight he thought and pocketed it. Still not finding anything to eat, he pushed aside pill bottles and wrapped syringes. Here was something interesting. He reached into the bag and picked up the stethoscope with two fingers. He turned it around to look at it from all sides. Then, curiosity got the better of him, overriding the nervousness in the pit of his stomach. With both hands he placed the ends in his ears. Trowa and Quatre's voices became muffled. He picked up the chest piece and blew his warm breath on it. Hearing how loud his breath sounded, he tapped on it and the small taps sounded like someone knocking on the door. So engrossed was he, he didn't notice Sally enter the room.

Duo continued to experiment. He listened to the rapid beating of his heart, then lowered the stethoscope over his stomach, where he heard the strangest noises. He started to giggle when he looked up and saw Sally and the others grinning at him. He quickly handed the stethoscope to Sally. "Sorry, Sally." He said, blushing with embarrassment. "Gee, I didn't think I was so hungry. My stomach is awfully noisy."

Sally ignored Duo's glib comment and retrieved her stethoscope from his hand with a jerk. "Let's get started, it's getting late. Duo, Heero, strip down. Quatre, I'll start with you since you need to be cleared for your trip." Sally barked out her orders.

Sally attended to her duties, examining Quatre head to toe, reviewing the answers to the questionnaire. Satisfied, she moved onto Trowa, then Heero.

Heero kept an eye on Duo, who was like an overwound spring ready to break. Heero could see the tension building in Duo's muscles as he twisted the end of his braid. Duo's eyes darted to Heero's frequently, looking for and getting the reassurance Heero had promised; each exchanging the slightest of smiles.

"Duo, get on the scale please." Sally directed him. Duo was staring at the wall, not hearing, as if in a trance. "Duo." Sally said loudly, irritation showing in her voice. Duo stood frozen.

"Duo." Heero said, approaching him, getting his attention. "Sally needs you on the scale."

"Huh? Oh, Sorry. I was just planning for my mission tonight." Duo apologized, as he stepped on the scale.

"Duo, can you stand still for at least two minutes so I can get your height and weight?" Sally ordered.

Heero watched as Duo clenched and unclenched his fists in frustration. What was the matter with Sally's attitude today? One more complaint and he was sure Duo would blow.

"Duo, do you need any equipment for tonight?" Heero asked; to try to defuse Duo's anxiety.

"Don't think so, but I'll let you know later." Duo answered, relieved for the distraction.

"What's the matter Sally" Duo started with a sly grin. "Wufei stand you up for dinner or something?" He asked sarcastically to break the tension.

Sally's face grew crimson.

"Oops. Forget I asked. Don't want to get too personal." Duo quickly said.

"How is your back, Duo?" Sally asked, changing the subject.

"Feels much better. That cream worked wonders." Duo answered, as she inspected his back.

"But Duo, it's almost healed. The blisters are gone and the skin is just light pink." Sally said puzzled.

Duo shrugged. "I've always healed quickly.

"Keep using the cream anyway. Now let's finish up."

Finally, they were finished. Sally told them they could dress as she looked over her findings.

"Well, you all are healthy and pass the exam so far. I'm pleased to see that, with what you have all gone through the last few years. You'll need to have blood work on you way out." Sally said as she looked at her papers again, and then looked at Duo as he stood next to his friends, who were now about 10-15cm taller and 2-5 kg heavier than he.

"Duo, have you been eating properly? Especially high calcium foods?" Sally asked. "Maybe you haven't hit your growth spurt yet." She said as an afterthought.

"What?" Duo asked, not having heard, as he was hurriedly getting dressed so he could leave.

"He's eating just fine Sally. Six square meals a day plus snacks." Heero answered for him.

"Can I get breakfast now? I'm starving." Duo insisted.

"Yes, but…" Sally called after him, seeing only his braid pass through the door.

"We'll be going too, Sally. You'll let us know the final results on Quatre's test?" Trowa asked.

Sally just nodded.

Heero watched as the door clicked closed behind them. He stood in silent contemplation for a few moments before approaching Sally.

"Sally." Heero started, and then stopped. Was he doing the right thing, interfering with Duo's life again? Duo forgave him about the bank, but this was more personal. He just didn't want to see Duo worry about being a carrier of death anymore. For some reason, it was important to him to make sure Duo was never in any kind of pain; physical or emotional.

"Heero…you wanted something?" Sally asked, breaking Heero from his thoughts.

"Do you have any information about the plague that swept through the L2 colonies years ago? Symptoms, how it spread and killed." Heero asked.

"That's a strange question. It can't be about Relena. She wasn't near L2 then and the only prognosis was death." Sally said.

"Duo grew up on L2, lived on the streets with other orphans when the plague hit." Heero answered.

Sally sat stunned. "I never realized Duo survived that horrible disaster. He must have been lucky to have received the vaccine."

"That's what I need to find out. Duo swears he was never vaccinated. How could he have? I doubt the L2 authorities cared about helping the homeless. He was in close contact with several of the children he lived with as they died. He was able to obtain vaccine for some in his group, but didn't take any himself." Heero explained.

"That's impossible Heero. If what Duo says is true, he would have died." Sally began to explain. "The L2 plague was a slight variation of one of the hemorrhagic fevers that surface now and again on Earth. A vaccine was developed for a milder form years ago and the L2 strain was related to that one. Once it was isolated, the vaccine was amplified to fight the L2 form."

"What are the symptoms?" Heero asked

"It starts with fever and nausea, but progresses rapidly with vomiting and diarrhea. As you can understand by its name, it affects the blood vessels by breaking the lining down, causing the blood vessels to leak. The victim literally bleeds to death through any mucous membrane and orifice. It's not a pleasant thing to see." Sally said with a shutter. "It's passed by close contact with the victim even before the bleeding starts."

"So a child could look like he was crying tears of blood." Heero said, thinking back to Duo's night terror.

"Is that what is bothering Duo? He didn't seem himself." Sally said.

"Can he be tested to see if he carries the virus?" Heero asked bluntly.

"Yes, I'll add it to his requisition. But the only thing it will tell us is if he was vaccinated against it. If he was infected, he would be long dead, Heero. The virus has never been found dormant in humans." Sally insisted again.

"How long will the test take?"

"A few days; I'll let Duo know the results."

"I would prefer to tell him myself. He did confide his fear to me and the peace of mind it would give him would only help the mission with Relena. No distractions." Heero told her.

"For the mission." Sally sighed. "Just when I thought you were being kind for once. I'll call you when the results come in."

Heero nodded and left Sally to her paperwork.

****

Later that evening: Quatre and Trowa's house.

"Thanks Sally, that certainly is wonderful news. Is Scott aware I'm all cleared for our trip?" Quatre asked.

"He is my next call. Let Trowa know his tests were fine also. I'm sorry I missed him. Usually I prefer telling my patients their results personally, but it seems like circumstances have been preventing that lately. Have a safe journey if I don't see you before you leave. Please contact me if you have any trouble Quatre." Sally finished.

"Don't worry Sally. Trowa would never forgive any of us if anything happened, which I'm sure will not. Good night Sally." Quatre said, turning off the vid phone.

Quatre walked over to Trowa, who was leaning against the doorway of their room, arms crossed over his chest.

"I don't understand why you didn't want to talk with Sally, Trowa."Quatre said.

"I heard what I needed to know. You know how I feel about the next phase of training Scott has planned for you." Trowa said, as he turned to enter their room.

"Trowa." Quatre said, grabbing his arm. "Nothing is going to happen while I'm gone."

"No one can be sure of anything, Quatre. You were trained to plan for the unexpected as a pilot. Have you thrown away that training?" Trowa asked, pulling away.

"No, I haven't. But I have the utmost confidence in the techniques Scott has taught me. You've seen the results since we've been here." Quatre said, as he followed him.

"I agree, you are healthier than ever. But I have this nagging thought at the back of my mind that…" Trowa hesitated.

"That you could lose me?" Quatre finished for him. "You, more than anyone, should know that I would never allow that to happen." Quatre said as he wrapped his arms around Trowa. "Your mine. I love you. I'll love you forever."

Quatre pulled him tighter against him, brushing their lips together lightly. "Let me make your fears and doubts disappear." He whispered.

Trowa nodded slightly, his eyes closing as if under a spell, allowing Quatre to guide him toward their bed.

"We've been together long enough to trust one another's decisions." Quatre continued in a soft melodious voice, as he began to unbutton Trowa's shirt. "You know, what is good for me is always good for the both of us." Quatre nuzzled at Trowa's ear, his warm breath sending chills through Trowa's body. Quatre's tongue traced its curves before sucking the soft pendulous lobe into his mouth.

"Quatre…" Trowa began to speak.

"Shhh love." Quatre hushed him before drifting his lips slowly back to Trowa's barely touching, but still radiating warmth.

Quatre slid Trowa's shirt over his shoulders and arms, exposing every centimeter of well toned muscle of his amazing acrobat. Quatre stroked Trowa's chest lightly with his fingertips, Trowa's muscles quivered in anticipation. Quatre's fingers slithered down past Trowa's hips, teasing around the waistband of his pants before releasing the fastenings, allowing the garment to pool around his feet.

A smile curved Quatre's lips before pulling Trowa against him, lips finally meeting firmly in a passionate kiss. A quiet moan escaped from Trowa's throat as he slid his tongue across Quatre's lips wanting more, but was denied.

"Not yet, love. All good things come to those who wait." Quatre whispered, gently pushing Trowa onto their bed.

Quatre shed his clothing, enticingly. Trowa's eyes followed every move, centering on Quatre's stiffened manhood twitching with excitement. Quatre's eyes shone with a predatory glare as his body pressed Trowa back against the sheets. Trowa pulled him into an embrace as Quatre invaded the sweet and willing mouth.

Moans of pleasure filled the room as hands explored favorite, sensitive spots. Quatre twined Trowa's hands with his, guiding them to the curves of the wrought iron headboard.

"Don't move love." Quatre cooed, trailing the tip of his tongue along Trowa's jaw and down his neck stopping to taste the sensitive skin near the shoulder. Tasting deeply, he moved on, leaving his mark for Trowa to remember this night. Continuing his downward journey, Trowa writhed beneath him, teased by feathery touches and kisses. Quatre teased one nipple then the other to sensitive hardness with his agile tongue.

"You taste like nectar. I could devour you right now, Trowa. But the prize of sweetest honey awaits." Quatre spoke softly, measuring each word. "Ah, the bee's dangerous stinger rises to protect the prize. What should I do?" Quatre asked coyly, as he danced his hand over the straining wet bulge in Trowa's briefs.

"Quatre." Trowa panted.

In silent reply, Quatre peeled away the final barrier to his prize. "The stinger looks dangerous and in need of taming. Don't you think so, Trowa?" Quatre asked, lightly stroking the softness of Trowa's inner thighs. Trowa opened himself to the enticement, straining for Quatre's touch.

"So eager, are we?" Quatre said as he neared Trowa's weeping cock, and licked the sweet drops of dew.

"Quatre, more." Trowa moaned, bucking his hips.

Quatre eased his tongue around the head, drawing a hot line down the underside of his shaft, pausing at his heavy sac before sucking both jewels into the hot cavern of his mouth.

"Ahhh, Quatre." Trowa cried out, his knuckles turning white as his grip tightened on the headboard. Trowa draped his legs over Quatre's shoulders, pulling him closer.

Quatre's tongue swirled the oval jewels around as he sucked Trowa closer to the edge before releasing him.

"Quatre, I need you." Trowa moaned.

"All in good time, the pleasure is in the journey, not the final destination, love." Quatre said as he took Trowa's cock fully down his throat. Quatre's fingers prepared his loves entrance; with each bob of his head he penetrated Trowa, deeper and deeper. Trowa inched closer to release until the wonderful warmth and pressure disappeared. With the shifting of weight on the mattress the void was quickly refilled with Quatre entering him. "Mmmm, you feel so good, Trowa. Such a sweet honey pot." Quatre moaned, thrusting slowly. He surveyed his lover's body, breathing in his musky scent, the glistening sweat highlighting every contour in the dim light. He hungered for more of his lover. "What do you want Trowa? Tell me what you want."

"Faster Quatre, faster." Trowa moaned thrusting back to get his need across. Quatre complied, heady with increased lust at the sound of his lover's voice. Moving together in well rehearsed unison, they soared in each others pleasure.

"Yes!" Trowa cried out, as Quatre began to strike his prostate repeatedly. "Harder, fuck me harder!"

Quatre knew they were both so close to climax. All he wanted to do now was to slam into his love, to move them to ecstasy. He reached his hand around Trowa's gorgeous cock and began pumping in time with their frenzied pace. Just a few more strokes and Trowa cried out his release as ribbon after ribbon of his essence covered them both. Trowa's inner spasms gripped Quatre tighter, pushing him into his climax, spilling himself, filling Trowa with his hot seed. Fully spent, Quatre collapsed onto his love, both embracing through the last tremors of their loving, savoring every moment, etching it onto their memory.

Recovering first, Trowa rolled them on their side. Wiping away Quatre's sweat soaked hair he placed a gentle kiss on his lips. Quatre opened his still glazed eyes.

"I trust you Quatre. I know you'll be safe. I love you." Trowa said.

"Thank you." Quatre sighed, before falling fast asleep.

Trowa pulled up the blanket and cuddled closer, sleep overcoming him as well. Moonlight streamed through the window, like a spotlight, on the peaceful couple.

****

Morning came too quickly. Trowa stretched his stiff muscles, blinking as bright sunlight shone in his eyes. Checking the clock, he was surprised that it was almost noon. Reaching for Quatre, to alert him they were late, he found only cold empty sheets and a note.

Trowa,

You were sleeping so soundly and looked so peaceful. I couldn't bear waking you. Just keep remembering last night and I'll be home before you know it.

Love Quatre

Trowa reread the note several times. "I trust you Quatre. It's Scott I don't trust. I just have to figure out why."

TBC