Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ A Fine Line ❯ Chapter 6 ( Chapter 6 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

A Fine Line

By Gossamer Wings

Rating: NC 17 for some parts, R overall

Warning: Shouen ai, yaoi, violence, language

Pairs:1+2 (1x2 eventually, be patient) 3x4, 5+S

Disclaimer: The usual GW stuff. Original content and characters belong to the author.

Archive:www.mediaminer.org just type in Gossamer Wings

E-mail: gossamer__wings@hotmail.com and gossamerwings1x2@yahoo.com

C&C: desperately needed and appreciated.

I now take you into mid July AC 197, Sank Kingdom at Peacecraft University or as the alumni affectionately call it "Old P.U." (I couldn't pass up the pun).

Gossamer Wings

Chapter 6

One week later. Sank Kingdom; 0800 hrs.

It was a beautiful July morning. Sunlight streamed through the open windows of the room as a gentle warm breeze billowed the sheer curtains. Relena was up earlier than usual, anxious to start a new day. With only a few more lectures at Peacecraft University, she would be free to handle matters of much more importance.

Making her way towards the dinning room, she picked up the morning newspaper from a small sideboard near the door. She tucked it under her arm, not yet ready to read the days headlines.

"Good Morning, Miss Relena. I didn't expect you up so soon." Pagan addressed her.

"Good Morning Pagan. My night was very restless." Relena answered.

"I'm sorry I was unable to bring you your bedtime tea. I wasn't feeling my best again." Pagan apologized.

"Please don't fret, Pagan. Natasha brought my tea when she heard you weren't well. Are you sure you feel better?" Relena asked worriedly.

"Yes Miss, much better. That was very considerate of her; I will have to thank her later." Pagan said as they walked through the hall. "Are you ready for breakfast?"

"I'll take it on the veranda." She said, heading for the French doors.

Pagan nodded, accepting her orders and left her.

Pagan entered the kitchen, the door closing silently behind him. Moments later he leaned over a table breathing heavily. Reaching into his jacket pocket, he took out a small brown bottle, removing an even smaller tablet, placing in his mouth. Minutes later, he stood straight, tightened his tie and pulled down his vest. Wiping the few beads of perspiration from his brow he proceeded with his duties.

****

Out on the veranda, Natasha was already seated, reading over official reports. The sun shown down on her shoulder length black hair. Iridescent highlights shimmered as she turned her head at the sound of Relena's voice. Standing quickly, she unconsciously brushed the wrinkles from the tan skirt that hung loosely from her thin waist.

"Good Morning Miss. Relena. I trust you slept well." Natasha said as she curtsied respectfully. "I heard Pagan, is he feeling better?"

"He told me he was, but he still looks a bit tired." Relena answered worriedly.

"I'm sure he'll be just fine. It's probably just his age catching up with him." Natasha returned to her seat after Relena sat down. "With all the traveling he has done with you over the years, it is bound to take its toll on the dear man." Natasha offered.

"You're most likely right, Natasha. I fear I have overworked him the last two years." Relena answered regretfully.

"How old is he?" Natasha asked.

"I don't really know." Relena said, as she searched for an answer. "He has been with the family as long as I can remember. You could say, he has been like a second father to me. He was always there to protect and guide me whenever Mother and Father weren't around."

"That is quite unusual for a household servant, isn't it?" Natasha asked curiously.

"Not in my opinion. Father had the utmost trust in him. Since Father died, I don't know what I would do without him. He is a man of many talents and has helped me in immeasurable ways."

"I understand, Miss Relena." Natasha conceded. "If you don't mind, I took the liberty of choosing a backup valet for our upcoming trip. I've become very fond of Pagan as well. I don't want to see him exhaust himself. I anticipate our stay may be a lengthy one." Natasha said.

"Oh dear, I've never thought of the need before. I believe you're correct though. I just hope Pagan understands."

"I'm sure he will appreciate your kindness in the matter. He has been most unselfish in his needs. Would you like me to inform him?" Natasha asked.

"No, I'll do that Natasha. Just make sure Pagan's accommodations are superior to his backup at the rental house."

"Oh course, Miss. Relena." Natasha said, as she made note of it in her planner.

The sound of footsteps and the rattle of china caught their attention. Pagan set down the large silver tray, serving each of the young women cups of tea, followed by another small covered dish containing breakfast items.

"Will that be all Miss. Relena?" asked Pagan.

"Yes Pagan. I only have one class today at the University. Someone else could drive me if you're still not feeling well." Relena said, while placing the cloth napkin on her lap.

"I'm quite recovered. I'll bring the car around at 1000." Pagan replied, and then returned to the kitchen with the large serving tray.

"I'd say that decision is final." said Natasha.

"Let's see what surprises the world has for us today, Natasha." Relena said, opening the paper to the front page, scanning the headlines. "How terrible." Relena exclaimed, as she began to read aloud. "A peaceful protest by pacifists turned into a riot after local salvage yard workers disrupted the orderly group, resulting in injuries and arrests. All participants are being questioned at Preventer Headquarters to follow up similar instances on Earth and L3 colony." Relena put down the paper. "Natasha, could you get me more information on this? You would think if there have been similar instances that Preventer agents would have been assigned to protect the pacifists from assault. It's just another reason to show how incompetent that organization is."

"Of course Miss. Relena. I should have something for you after class today."

****

Quatre and Trowa's rental house, 0800 hrs the same morning.


The insistent ring of the vid phone interrupted their breakfast. "Who could that be so early?" Yawned Quatre, as he poured himself another cup of tea. "We don't have to be in until 1000."

"I'll get it." Trowa said getting up.

"Trowa, Good Morning. I was expecting Quatre."

"Just a moment." Trowa moved away from the screen, giving his spot to Quatre.

"Good Morning Scott, why so early?" Quatre yawned again.

"I just wanted to let you know that we will be doing a few practice interrogations today and need to start earlier than expected." Scott said.

"Alright, when should we be there then?"

"0900, in the central building. Trowa will be needed as well."

"No problem, we'll see you in an hour."

****

Preventer Headquarters: 0900 hrs.

Dr. Springer greeted them, cheerfully, in the hallway before escorting them to the interrogation rooms. "I'm sorry we have to start so early, but we couldn't pass up the opportunity of having real suspects to mix in with the volunteers." He said excitedly, as he pushed up his glasses that had slid down his nose again.

"Suspects? What are they charged with?" Quatre asked curiously.

"There was a protest march of some sort at a local manufacturer that turned a little violent." Dr. Springer said as he took papers from his rumpled uniform jacket. "Here is an information sheet on the company and the two groups involved in the altercation."

"PPO, Pure Pacifist Organization. I've heard of them. One of their representatives has been trying to meet with me for months. I've just been to busy to grant an appointment." Quatre said as he continued reading.

"The company they were picketing makes various electronic devices using recycled mobile suit parts. Several salvage yard employees were part of the group when fighting broke out." Trowa commented, with a eyebrow and questioning look to Quatre.

"I'm told your friend, Duo Maxwell, alerted Lady Une about this situation and she wants it looked at a little more in depth." said Dr. Springer.

"What do you want us to do?" Asked Quatre.''

"With each subject, I would like Trowa to do the questioning. You are to try to read their emotions. During each session make note how they react to Trowa's questions, as well as while they are answering. You can keep notes. It's more natural that way." Dr. Springer instructed.

"That sounds simple enough. I presume the volunteers are to try to confuse Quatre." Trowa said.

"Not confuse, to see if he can differentiate between the two." corrected Dr. Springer.

"Sounds pretty cut and dried. Are you up for this Quatre?" Trowa asked.

"I can't wait to start. It will be interesting to see how Scott's techniques will work." Quatre said enthusiastically.

"Here are a list of questions Lady Une would like you to ask, feel free to add your own at any time Trowa."

****

Sitting back in the chair with his long legs extended, his green eyes narrowed as the first subject was brought in. He smoothed down the wisps of dirty blond hair that always escaped control. A nervous habit he had been unable to rid himself of. Scott watched with interest through the one way glass. The PPO protester sat calmly, hands folded in front of him on the table. Trowa entered the room followed by Quatre.

"Good Morning. I'm Agent Barton and this is Agent Winner." Trowa introduced themselves as Quatre took a seat a short distance away. "We have a few questions about yesterday's protest."

"Ask whatever you want. I have nothing to hide." The protester answered calmly.

"We'll start with your name and the reason you were at Grant Industries." asked Trowa.

"Anthony Sumners, I'm a member of the local chapter of the Pure Pacifist Organization. If you'll check, we had all the legal permits for our gathering."

"I see they are in order. We are investigating the altercation that occurred between your group and the salvage workers."

"It happens everywhere our representatives go it seems. Those workers just don't understand the message it sends to the people, that those products are made from the machines of war and evil." Mr. Sumners stated passionately.

"Did you see who or how the fighting started?"

"No, all I remember is that something hit me from behind, then on the ground trying to protect myself."

"Did you recognize any of the salvage workers from any other demonstration you attended?"

"No, one scrubby face looks just like the next. They all deal in death and destruction, like vultures they are." Mr. Sumner answered with disgust.

"That's all for now Mr. Sumner. If we have any further questions we will contact you."

"Anything I can do to help bring peace and pacifism to the world young man. May I leave you some literature on our organization?" offered Mr. Sumner.

"Uh, yes, just leave it with the secretary on your way out." Trowa answered uncertainly at the friendly offer.

The next person brought in was dressed in dirty coveralls and work hat, the name `STAN' sewn on his breast pocket. He was definitely not a member of the PPO. Stan sat down nervously where he was directed, his eyes darting around the room.

"I didn't start anything at Grant's yesterday, no matter what those PPO loonies say." Stan said defensively before Trowa could say a word.

"Let's slow down a little, Stan. We're not accusing you of anything." Trowa stated calmly. "We just want to get some facts about what happened."

"Fire away, I'm not guilty of anything but curiosity." Stan said, a little more relaxed now.

"What were you doing at the protest site?"

"My friends and me work at a small salvage yard in the next town. Business had been slowing almost to a dead stop. Grants was one of our last customers who bought parts from us. The Sweepers that come in have been telling us about this PPO and what they're doing on L2, so we decided to see for ourselves."

"What have the Sweepers been saying?"

"That this PPO has been convincing the L2 governments to outlaw the use of MS parts in manufacturing. Yards are closing down all over L2. They're putting us out of work. How are you supposed to make stuff at a reasonable cost without recycled parts? There can't be enough raw materials to do that. I'd rather die than work in some suffocating mine for peanuts." Stan answered in frustration.

"Did you know everyone in your group personally?"

"Yeah…no, wait. After we got there a couple of other guys showed up. Said they were Sweepers from out of one of the L2 colonies and weren't going to take any more shit from this group. Said they were spreading like a disease and had to be stopped." Stan finished

Trowa handed Stan a paper to look at. "Do you recognize all the names?"

Stan read over the names slowly. "Yeah, it's all the guys that came with me."

"Did you know the names of the Sweepers who joined you?" Trowa asked hopefully.

"No, the shit kinda kit the fan after they arrived."

"Would you be able to describe them to our sketch artist? It would be a help." Trowa asked.

"Sure, anything to stop those crazy PPO people." Stan answered enthusiastically, then was escorted away.

The hands of the clock moved swiftly as each demonstrator was brought in and asked question after question. Quatre sat a comfortable distance away, scribbling furiously at times and nothing at others, without any sign of tiring. Finally the last person was questioned and released.

"Quatre, are you alright?" asked Trowa.

Quatre looked at him almost beaming. "Absolutely Trowa. I've never experienced anything like it. Everything Scott has taught me worked perfectly."

"Quatre, you did wonderfully!" Scott said as he entered the room. "I was watching." Scott pointed at the mirror on the wall. "Get your papers organized and we can compare notes later."

"That's fine with me, I'm sure I know who were the volunteers."

"Lady Une will need a copy to go along with the transcripts of the tapes from these sessions." added Trowa.

"Trowa, Duo must have suspected something like this when he came to Preventer Headquarters. His salvage yard is on L2." Quatre said.

"Duo?" Scott asked.

"Duo Maxwell. He is the fifth Gundam pilot Dr. Springer had asked about." Quatre explained. "He grew up on L2, was a sweeper himself for awhile, then started his own salvage business after the war."

"I must meet him. It seems a strange coincidence that he arrives around the same time those mysterious L2 sweepers cause trouble." Scott said.

Trowa interrupted Scott. "You would be wrong if you think Duo had anything to do with this investigation. He is the most honest person alive."

"I wasn't implying that he was, Trowa. Perhaps he might know the L2 sweepers. You said he is involved in the scrap business." Scott answered quickly.

"Alright." Trowa conceded. "We'll let him know about the sketches. He might recognize the faces. Are you ready to go Quatre?"

"Yes." Quatre said exiting the room ahead of Trowa. Leaving Scott alone.

****

Preventer Headquarters: 1200 hrs.

Lady Une sat at her desk, thumbing through the PPO literature that was left by Mr. Sumner.

"Wufei, have you read this literature?"

"I haven't had the opportunity, Lady Une." Wufei said as he picked up one of the pamphlets.

" It seems that Duo might be on to something with this PPO. At first glance their goals are what the world wants, peace throughout the Unified Nations and the Colonies. What raised my suspicions are their policies on how to accomplish those goals." Lady Une stated.

"The destruction of the wars weapons has been everyone's goal since the end of the war." Wufei said.

"It's not the obvious weapons they are after. Not the beam cannons and mobile suits or even the small arms used by everyone, including us." Lady Une continued.

"Some small arms will always be necessary by the Preventers until all threats are gone." Wufei stated confidently.

"I know you don't believe that statement as well as I, Wufei. There will always be someone waiting to try to take over the world; one tyrant replacing the next. It's our duty to find him before he makes his move. Our real job is to make sure the general population believes real world peace has been accomplished. They should never have to know how close we are to disaster nearly every day."

"You believe this PPO has an ulterior motive?" Wufei asked suspiciously.

"After reading the transcripts of the interrogations this morning, my gut says look into this as quickly as possible." Lady Une said as she stood and started pacing.

"Their methods do not seem to be very practical, Lady. Picketing and handing out flyers does not seem very threatening." Wufei said, pointedly.

"Look at who they are picketing, and how they are achieving their goals, Wufei. They started on L2 and even though they claim no direct association with Relena, their literature mirrors many of her recent speeches." She stopped to look Wufei directly in the eye.

Wufei raised an eyebrow of surprise. "We should assign a team to watch this group then."

"That's just my thought exactly. Who better to assign than the person who brought this to our attention."

"DUO!" Wufei exclaimed.

"Of course. From what was found out today, salvage yards and their customers have been targeted. First on L2, now here and L3. Their ideology of `evil begets evil' just doesn't add up for me. There is something more sinister at work here and I intend to find out who is behind it all." Lady Une finished.

****

Scott's office: 1200 hrs.

"Quatre, you have certainly exceeded my expectations today." Scott said, wearing his charming smile as he looked over Quatre's notes.

" I wouldn't have been able to do any of it without your help, Scott. Trowa has mentioned how much more relaxed I've been since we've started the training."

"I'm grateful that I've gained Trowa's confidence. He's very protective of you." Scott said.

"So, how were my results? How many of the volunteers did I pick?" Quatre asked, ignoring Scott's last statement.

"You were able to pick out all of the volunteers. That shows that you are capable of picking out 100% of that group. Now as for the real suspects, you picked up definite deceit on all of them during questioning. Their nervousness may have interfered with how you read them." Scott thumbed through a few pages, pulling out one in particular.

"Are you saying that nervousness may feel like they are lying, but really aren't?" Quatre asked.

"I have found it to be so, especially in people not used to being questioned by the authorities." answered Scott.

"I see, so once I detect the nervousness, I should block it, then look deeper." Quatre said thoughtfully. "That should put all the people on an even standing then."

"Very good Quatre. Now, I want you to think back to the first two people questioned. Remember how they felt to you, block out the nervousness and now tell me your conclusions." instructed Scott.

Quatre closed his eyes, doing as Scott instructed. He sat in relaxed thought for several minutes before opening his eyes again.

"I conclude that both men were telling the truth. The first man had a firm conviction of his beliefs. What he said was true, about the fighting part. His opinion of the sweepers and salvage people only `felt' like truth because of his belief in the statement."

"Good Quatre, now the second man." Scott asked.

"Well, after blocking the nervousness, he no longer came across as hiding information or lying. I get more fear of loss and worry. After offering to describe the unnamed sweepers, he had a weight lifted from him. Relief that he was believed." Quatre finished.

"Where do we go with the investigation from here, Quatre?"

"It all points to finding the two mystery sweepers. We need to find out their motive for disrupting the PPO protest and if they were involved in the other incidents." Quatre answered.

"I'll forward this and my comments to Lady Une, before the group meeting she has scheduled. It's for everyone involved with the Relena operation at 1700. It will be in the conference room next to her office." Scott said.

The beeping of his pager cut their discussion short as Scott recognized the message.

"I hope you don't mind Quatre, but I have a personal matter to take care of."

"Not at all Scott. I'll make sure Trowa knows about the meeting." Quatre said, raising from his seat to leave. "If you need any more information before the meeting, let me know."

Scott waited a few minutes after Quatre left before taking the cell phone from his jacket pocket. Dialing in the com code, he waited impatiently for the click of the receiver on the other end.

"You have no business calling me here!" he said angrily before the other person could answer. "What do you want?" Scott asked gruffly, then listened to the person's explanation. "Alright, that can be accomplished easily. I'll call you back with what you need." Scott said, then listened intently as he watched his door. "Is everything progressing on schedule on your end?" Scott asked, looking at his watch. "Give me about an hour." Hearing the other's acknowledgment, he quickly cut the connection.

****

Sank Kingdom; Peacecraft University: 1400hrs.

"In closing today, I want to remind you all that it is everyone's duty to promote peace and pacifism in every way possible. As we have seen by the last two wars, we can not just leave decisions in the hands of our leaders. We must be ever vigilant and participate fully in the decision making processes that affect all our lives. How are we to do this?" Relena asked as she looked from face to face of her students. "Participate! Become involved, join the local school board, make sure Pacifism is taught to our children. Run for office of local government; ensure that our laws promote pacifism. These are just a few ways you can ensure a lasting peace.

For our next class, I want you to present your ideas on how the individual can promote Pacifism. I'll see you all next week for our final class." Relena finished with a smile.

The students began filing out of the classroom, some talking eagerly about the ideas they planned to present. Natasha squeezed past the last few students and approached Relena.

"Miss. Relena." Natasha started, gaining Relena's attention. "I have the information you requested this morning."

"Wonderful." Relena said as she looked around the room, noting the last few students leaving. As they closed the door behind them Relena continued to gather her notes, placing them in her briefcase, giving them time to make sure they could not be interrupted.

Natasha waited patiently for permission to speak, not wishing to face Relena's ire again if she spoke out of turn.

"What have you learned?" Relena demanded.

"All of the individuals involved in the altercation have been questioned and released without any charges filed against them. Information obtained shows that there were two men, who were not known by either group that started the physical fighting. They indicated they were Sweepers from L2, but that remains to be verified. Artist sketches have been made from eye witness accounts for that purpose. The Preventers may just pursue the investigation past the minor fighting to center on the PPO and its activities." Natasha finished.

"Are you sure of this information?" asked Relena.

"My source is very reliable." Natasha answered confidently.

"How dare they question the activities of a peaceful organization!" Relena growled. "They should be watching all of those filthy salvage workers. Their work is so disgusting. They pick apart the mobile suits and market the remains for profit. They are no better than scavengers picking over carrion from the battlefield before the bodies are given a respectful burial." Relena spoke loudly as she paced around the lectern.

"We will be at Preventer Headquarters shortly. Your last class is next week. I'm sure you will be able to redirect their efforts to a more useful purpose. They really should be enforcing the precepts of Pacifism." Natasha smoothly suggested.

"Turn the Preventers into the enforcers of Pacifism?" Relena thought about Natasha's statement. "That would be the logical next step, wouldn't it? Come Natasha, I have some research to do on that idea. Lady Une may not be the best choice to lead the Preventers into the next phase of their existence." Relena said as she moved with new found excitement toward the door, where Pagan stood patiently waiting.

"Pagan, are you ill again?" Relena asked, noting the perspiration on his pale face.

"No. The cooling system in the lounge was not working properly again. I must have dozed off from the heat." Pagan answered, then coughed to clear his throat.

"We should hurry to the car then. Pagan when we get home, you are to take the rest of the day off. Natasha will take care of my needs." Relena insisted.

"As you wish Miss. Relena" Pagan responded quietly, without further argument.

The drive along the winding country road, to Relena's residence, seemed to take longer than usual. The women took no notice, being too involved exchanging their new ideas for the Preventers.

The sudden loud, staccato blasts of a truck horn roused the young women from their conversation. Before them loomed a behemoth transport vehicle, closing on them quickly. Screams of terror escaped their lips, eyes wide with fright.

"Pagan! The truck!" Relena managed to call out.

Pagan's drooping head snapped up at the sound of Relena's voice. With great effort he managed to return the car to its own lane. As quickly as it seemed they were out of danger, the car began to weave erratically toward the shoulder of the road. Pagan's head and shoulders sagged slowly as he struggled to maintain control. His helpless passengers bounced roughly about their seats as they traveled off the road over uneven terrain. The car slowed, about to miss a grove of trees, when with a sudden burst of speed they lunged forward. They came to a swift stop with a thud.

The sudden silence was broken by the hissing of steam escaping from the damaged engine. Slowly Relena and Natasha pulled themselves from the floor.

"Miss. Relena, are you alright?" Natasha asked worriedly as she attempted to check Relena for injuries.

"Don't bother with me. How is Pagan?" Relena insisted as she roughly pushed Natasha away. "Pagan! Answer me! Pagan!"

Relena shoved open her door and made her way to Pagan's. Struggling for several moments against the stubborn steel, she managed only a small opening. "Pagan! Can you hear me!" Relena cried out as she pounded on the glass.

"Let me help you, Miss."

Relena jumped at the sound of the unexpected and unfamiliar voice. The sight of thick strong arms reaching past her brought a sigh of relief. The sound of the straining metal being pulled apart to revealed Pagan's immobile body.

"Miss. Relena, I've called for help. A medical team is on their way." Natasha anxiously informed her. Relena was too preoccupied to hear her.

"I hope the old guy is alright. I stopped as soon as I saw you leave the road in my rearview mirror. The truck driver told Natasha.

"I'm sure he'll be fine once the medical team arrive." Natasha answered.

"It's a good thing you didn't get very far from town; they should be here any minute." The truck driver said nervously, as he watched Relena attempt to attend to Pagan.

No sooner was that said, the ambulance arrived.

"Come Miss. Relena; let the medical team take care of him. You must be looked at yourself." Natasha insisted, as a second ambulance arrived.

"I'm not injured, do you hear me?! I'm alright! Relena insisted. As someone began to shine a light in her eyes, she began to slap the caregivers' hands away. "Forget about me, take care of Pagan! Natasha, assist me!" Relena cried out in frustration, tears falling down her face.

"Miss Relena, please listen to him. The other medical team is caring for him. We should go now." Natasha spoke into Relena's ear in a soft and persuasive tone.

"Yes, your right Natasha." Relena said as she stood , straight and noble, head held high. "Sir, you are to take us to the hospital as quickly as possible."

"This way ladies." The ambulance attendant said, as he led them away.

****

Hours later the once bustling emergency room had quieted to a steady hum. Relena and Natasha were declared healthy, without any ill effects and were allowed to leave.

"Please Doctor; tell me how my driver Pagan is?" Relena pleaded.

"I don't have much information to tell you. He has been taken to the cardiac unit. That's all I know Miss. Peacecraft." answered the Doctor.

"Thank you." answered Relena automatically as she left the room in search of Natasha.

"Miss. Relena, there you are." Natasha called out with relief. "I've been looking all over for you. Pagan has been taken to the coronary care unit. I've only been able to learn that he is stable at this time. They won't tell me anything more unless I am family." Natasha finished as she pressed the elevator call button.

"They will speak to me! I am Relena Peacecraft, Princess of the Sank Kingdom!" Relena spoke with firm conviction. "I'll have their jobs if I don't receive the information I request."

Exiting the elevator they arrived at a cold and starkly furnished waiting room. The empty chairs being entertained by a vid screen anchored high on a wall. At a small desk, a volunteer smiled at them.

"May I help you?" The elderly volunteer in a pink smock asked kindly.

"Yes, I want information on my employee, Pagan." Relena stated simply, respecting the older woman.

"Of course Princess." The volunteer answered, recognizing Relena, placed a call. "There is a visitor with him now. They request you come in to meet with them and the Doctor."

"Thank you madam. You have been the first kind person I have encountered here all afternoon." Relena addressed the woman, then turned to meet with the doctor.

Relena and Natasha approached the foreboding double doors as they automatically opened. They stepped aside as an empty bed was wheeled past them. Continuing to walk into the eerie atmosphere of subdued lighting with foreign sights and sounds, they were startled when a unexpected voice addressed them.

"Relena."

A look of surprise and confusion crossed Relena's face as she quickly turned toward the voice.

"Mother?! What are you doing here?" Relena called out, as she rushed to her mother's side.

"The hospital notified me of Pagan's accident. They said he was in critical condition." Mrs. Darlian started

to explain.

"They called you about the accident? I don't understand? Why weren't you downstairs?" Relena asked, puzzled that her mother had not checked on her welfare first.

"They assured me you were uninjured and were being released, darling. I'm here because I am listed as Pagan's contact in case of medical emergencies. He has no other family except for us, Relena." Mrs. Darlian said, trying to reassure her daughter.

"I'm sorry Mother; I didn't mean to be so rude. I'm just so worried about Pagan. The volunteer said the doctor wanted to speak with me." Relena hugged her mother.

"We are to wait here for him, he is examining Pagan now." Mrs. Darlian answered as she returned Relena's hug.

"Perhaps I should wait outside. I seem to be out of place here." Natasha said, as she started to back away toward the door.

"Oh, I'm sorry to have ignored you. Natasha, isn't it? Relena has spoken highly of you." Mrs. Darlian said as she released Relena. "We haven't met. I'm Relena's mother, or rather, her adoptive mother."

"Mother, I've asked you not to say that. I said you'll always be my only mother." Relena insisted.

"It's alright Relena. I understand the relationship." Natasha replied quietly.

A tall middle aged man entered the room, wearing a white lab coat with a stethoscope hanging from its pocket.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but are you Mrs. Darlian?"

"Yes, are you Dr. Thackery?" Mrs. Darlian asked. "How is Pagan? Was he injured seriously in the accident?'

"He wasn't injured from the accident except for a few bruises. I'm afraid it was his heart condition that caused the accident."

"What heart condition?!" Pagan has always been healthy!" Relena exclaimed.

"Relena, calm down. I have known Pagan since you were a child. As his employer, I was aware of his health, as well as your father. That is one reason he never went into space to the colonies with you. It was too much for his heart." Mrs. Darlian explained.

"You knew he has been ill! Why wasn't I told? All I have put him through, I caused this to happen." Relena said, infuriated toward her mother.

"It was Pagan's choice not to tell you Relena. I honored that decision." Mrs. Darlian said calmly. "Dr. Thackery, would you tell us more please."

"Please sit ladies." Dr. Thackery gestured to a few pieces of overstuffed furniture. The small room was decorated to promote comfort for distraught families. "To begin, Pagan has been ill for a long time. His records indicate he has had numerous minor heart attacks. He is at the point where his heart is almost incapable of circulating his blood in an adequate manner to meet his body's needs. He had been in chronic heart failure for quite some time. With his age and other factors, he doesn't even meet the criteria for a transplant." Dr. Thackery said.

"What is your prognosis, Doctor?" Mrs. Darlian asked stoically.

"There is nothing more we can do for him, except keep him comfortable, Mrs. Darlian. Pagan is dying."

"Oh no." Relena sobbed quietly as tears came to her eyes. Natasha put a comforting arm around her.

"He is awake and comfortable. He has asked to see each of you alone, one at a time." Dr. Thackery informed them. "Mrs. Darlian, he has asked for you first."

Mrs. Darlian nodded, stood bravely and followed Dr. Thackery from the room.

Pagan lay in his bed, elevated to a semi-sitting position. His heart monitor showing irregular patterns. Pagan seemed to almost disappear in the bed. His white hair and pale face, against the backdrop of white sheets and hospital gown, he looked like a ghost already. He opened his eyes as he heard footsteps approach, attempting to smile as Mrs. Darlian stood at his side.

"Dearest Pagan, is there anything I can do for you?" Mrs. Darlian started, as she dabbed at her eyes.

"Don't cry Mrs. Darlian. It's my time… I know that. Our young lady has grown to quite a young woman, hasn't she?" Pagan rasped, every breath taken with great effort.

"We couldn't have done it without you Pagan. You kept her safe when we couldn't. My husband and I.. it brought great comfort knowing you were always there to protect her."

"It was my duty. One I chose with honor and served with pride." Pagan paused. "There should be an envelope that was with you husbands valuables in the wall safe. It's addressed to him from the King of the Sank Kingdom, regarding myself." Pagan began coughing, a moist, rattling deep within his chest. Mrs. Darlian tried to offer him a sip of water, but he shook his head. "I must finish." He insisted. "The envelope contains instructions for my interment in the event of my death."

"Pagan, please don't speak of that." Mrs. Darlian begged.

"I must…You must follow the instructions implicitly. For the memory of the Sank Kingdom and your husband's bravery." Pagan finished.

"I will Pagan, to the letter." Mrs. Darlian whispered, trying to hide her sadness of the impending loss of an old friend.

"Please send Relena in." Pagan requested.

"Oh course." Mrs. Darlian said, then placed a kiss on his cheek before leaving to send in Relena.

"Pagan wants to see you now Relena. He is quite weak, but let him say what he feels he must to you." Mrs. Darlian instructed her now grown daughter, but at this moment, looked like the small lost child that was brought to her so many years ago.

Relena stood at the doorway, wiping the tears from her red rimmed eyes. Pagan gestured weakly with his hand for her to come closer. The closer she came, the harder she began to cry. She became angry with herself, knowing she was upsetting Pagan.

"Hush now, Miss. Relena. It is unbecoming for a young woman of your stature to be crying. Chin up now." Pagan said, trying to be cheerful.

"Pagan, what will I do without you. You have been at my side as long as I can remember." Relena cried quietly, as she held tightly to his hand.

"I have taught you all I know Miss. Relena. My duty is finished. There is someone else close to you now. I believe you can trust her, as well as you trusted me, with everything in your life."

"Her? You mean Natasha?" Relena asked.

"Yes. I believe she has put your best interest above her own. I have seen her devotion to you grow every day. She is a valuable asset Relena. Don't lose that." Pagan coughed again.

"Relena, all these years I have served you, I have been unable to tell you my deepest feelings. You have been the daughter that I never had and brought great joy to my life. You don't know how proud you have made me feel the last few years, seeing what you have become. The King would be so pleased."

"Pagan, please rest. Save your strength." Relena begged.

"Not much time left, Relena. Let me finish. Above all, I want you to live a happy life."

"I'll do my best Pagan. I'll do it for you." Relena promised.

"Thank you dearest one. I need to see Natasha. Please send her in." Pagan requested, giving Relena's hand a gentle squeeze.

"Natasha, Pagan wishes to see you now." Relena said quietly.

"Me? I don't think it would be proper. I'm no one to him." Natasha answered bewilderedly.

"I'm sure he has his reasons. Please go to him." Relena gently insisted.

"Of course, Miss. Relena" Natasha answered obediently, hesitantly leaving the room.

Standing by the side of the bed, Natasha watched, mesmerized, as Pagan labored for every breath. "Pagan." She whispered and Pagan's eyes slowly opened. "Miss. Relena said you wanted to see me."

"Yes, child… I have been watching you closely since you began working with Relena." Pagan said haltingly.

"I don't understand Pagan." Natasha said wringing the edge of the bed sheet nervously.

"I am following my instincts and believe I can entrust and pass on my duty to you." Pagan studied her face to be sure she was understanding him. "My entire life has been dedicated to the service of the Sank Kingdom. I pledged my life to the protection of the heirs to the throne. I pass this duty to you." Pagan wheezed. "I see how dedicated you are and are able to do all that I have been unable to do for her….as I had always helped her. But above all, the greatest secret of Relena's life must be protected from discovery at all costs." Pagan's breathing became more labored and the heart monitor seemed to be too fast for any normal person to endure. Natasha's curiosity was piqued.

"Secret? What secret, Pagan." Natasha asked urgently.

Pagan reached for a thin chain around his neck and tried to pull on it. "Take this. It will open a small wall safe in my room. You will find all you need to know and what to do."

"What are you talking about, Pagan."

"Protect… her secret… at all costs. The worlds future….is…now...in…your… haanndsss." Pagan's voice trailed off, his eyes blankly stared past Natasha as his hand still clutched the chain.

Oblivious to the drone of the monotone signal that now came from the heart monitor, Natasha pried the chain from Pagan's hand before the medical staff arrived.

Following the sounds to Pagan's room, Relena and her mother found Natasha just outside the doorway weeping.

"Natasha?" Relena started to ask, when the young woman threw her arms around Relena.

"Oh, Miss. Relena. He tried so hard to say something….I just couldn't hear him. He was so weak." Natasha said in between sobs. "He was such a gentle, kind man. He will be greatly missed."

"He is gone then." Relena said.

Natasha only nodded her head against Relena's shoulder. Together, they shared their grief for a great man.

****

Hours later at Relena's residence, the pall of grief permeated every room. Pagan had been loved and respected by everyone he came in contact with. Relena felt uncomfortable around the staff without Pagan at her side.

"Relena dear, perhaps it would be good for the staff to take the rest of the day off." Mrs. Darlian suggested.

"Your right Mother. If I have trouble concentrating, I'm sure the staff will as well. Natasha, could you release them for me?"

"Yes. I don't mind." Natasha replied with a curtsy, then left Relena and her Mother alone.

"There is so much to do Mother and I don't know where to start." Relena said.

"There is nothing expected of you Relena. It is my responsibility to follow Pagan's wishes. I have his instructions to follow; he left them with your Father a long time ago. I'll inform you of all the final arrangements." Mrs. Darlian told her daughter.

"Are you sure there is nothing I can do?" Relena asked. "I feel so helpless."

"Just remember Pagan for the extraordinary man he was." Mrs. Darlian said, as she placed a kiss on Relena's forehead. "I'll be back tomorrow." She said, turning to leave.

"I've made tea for everyone." Natasha said, as she entered the room carrying a tray.

"I'm sorry, I can't stay Natasha. I have the arrangements to take care of." Mrs. Darlian apologized.

"That's quite alright Mrs. Darlian." Natasha said, setting the tray down. "Miss. Relena, please sit and relax. You have had a very trying day."

"I'll see you tomorrow, Mother." Relena said, as she took the cup Natasha offered her.

****

The silence between the two young women seemed to stretch for hours; each not wanting to break the silence first.

"I feel so responsible for Pagan's death." Relena finally spoke.

"I don't see how, Miss Relena. He was quite elderly." Natasha replied.

"He always seemed so active and full of energy. That was, until a few years ago." Relena started.

"What happened then?" Natasha asked.

"That is when I found a boy washed up on a beach, fell in love at first sight and would stop at nothing until he was mine." Relena explained.

"You mean Heero Yuy?" Natasha asked.

"Yes." Relena sighed. "My pursuit of Heero must have stressed Pagan immensely."

"I'm sure Heero was just leading you on, playing with your emotions, using you for his own reasons during the wars." Natasha suggested.

"I was putty in his hands, Natasha. I gave him all I could offer after the last war, but…." Relena's voice trailed off.

"He dropped you like the proverbial hot potato. He said he fought for peace and where does he go? Straight back to an organization that blows things up. The Preventers. He could have just as easily stayed with you. Look at the progress you've made promoting Pacifism." Natasha told her.

"He used me. How could I have not seen it before now? And in the end poor Pagan had to pay with his life, instead of a peaceful retirement." Relena growled angrily.

"Perhaps we should surprise him and arrive earlier than expected." Natasha purred.

Relena cocked her head at the suggestion. "I don't know. Pagan's belongings need to be taken care of. Mother may need something for the funeral, but…. I don't know if I could." Relena said, dabbing at a stray tear.

"Let me take care of his room, Miss Relena. I'm sure it would bring back too many memories of the past." Natasha offered.

Relena nodded her agreement. "Yes, but… if you should need help?"

"I'll call you, Miss Relena."

"Thank you. I'll be in my room resting." Relena rose from her seat leaving Natasha alone.

After sufficient time had past and she was sure Relena would not return, she gently set her cup down on the tray. Gathering the items, she returned them to the kitchen, then proceeded to the servant's quarters. She approached Pagan's door with eager anticipation. Her heart raced with excitement as she tried the door knob.

The knob turned easily, the door unexpectedly unlocked. Of course, as respected as Pagan was, no one would dare invade his privacy. She scanned the room as she entered.

Pagan's room, though austere, had everything he needed and everything had it's place. There weren't too many items hanging from the wall, only a few photographs of Pagan when he was much younger. The one that caught her interest was of Pagan holding a very young child with blondish hair. On closer inspection, she recognized the features of the child as a much younger Relena.

A tight smile formed on Natasha's lips. "What better place to hide a secret about Relena than behind a picture of her."

Natasha removed the picture, nonchalantly tossing it on the nearby bed. Before her, the door of the safe gleamed in the light of the setting sun, giving it a golden hue, as if a great treasure were contained within. Natasha bit at her lip as she removed the electronic key from around her neck. `Pagan could have exaggerated "this secret past of Relena" ' she thought to herself, as she began to insert the key. "There is only one way to find out."

With a soft click, the locking mechanism released and the door opened a small bit. As she opened the door all the way, she noted that it contained more that one item. Removing them one by one, questions that may never be answered crossed her thoughts. One small box contained several medals that looked military in nature; another contained a small album with photos of Pagan and Relena. The same as the one that covered the safe. There was a group picture of Relena and Pagan, with a few older people. Perhaps Relena's birth parents and a boy with white blonde hair, a few years older than Relena. It was a picture of the Royal family of the Sank Kingdom. But that was no secret. The world knew that information. "So, Pagan cared for Relena before her adoption. That can't be the secret." Putting down the album, she next pulled out a large envelope with Relena's name stamped upon it in red ink.

The palms of Natasha's hands grew sweaty in nervous anticipation. With trembling hands, she opened the envelope and removed a thick package of papers. She sat at Pagan's desk, turning on the desk light in the growing darkness. She began reading, slowly at first, but quickly sped up the pace. Finally reaching the last page, as the shadows in the room lengthened, she picked up the papers hugging them to her chest. A small giggle emerged from her lips which grew steadily into hysterical laughter.

TBC…..

1

16