Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ A Fine Line ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

A Fine Line

By Gossamer Wings

Rating: NC 17 for later in the story

Genre: Drama/ Action, Adventure

Warning: Shouen ai, yaoi, violence, language

Disclaimer: Gundam Wing and it's characters do not belong to me but to someone else. The use of them are for entertainment purposes only. Any original content and characters belong to the author.

Summary: There is a fine line between genius and insanity. It only takes a gentle nudge to go one way or the other.

AN: The story takes place over a six month time period, perhaps more as the story progresses. So I expect this to be a really long story. My plot line kinda took off from a simple story to get 1+2 together, into a real monster of a plot. I hope it's the roller coaster ride kind of story with plot twists that come out the way they are planned, but everyone who writes knows how the muses make you do things. Enjoy, and don't forget to read my other story (my first) Is Nothing Sacred. Any and all reviews appreciated.

Spoken words "…."

Thoughts `…'

A Fine Line

Chapter 1:

AC 197: It has been six months since the Marimaia War and the Gundams are no more. The Preventers, an organization set up by the ESUN, was on constant alert for trouble situations that would destroy the still fragile peace.

The former Gundam Pilots had returned to a normal life, or at least they tried. Wufei joined the Preventers immediately, knowing that was where a warrior was needed. Quatre took over running Winner Industries with the assistance of his many sisters. Rashid and the Manguanacs now ran security for Winner Industries. Trowa still spent time performing in the circus with Catherine but tended to spend his hiatus with Quatre. Duo returned to salvage work, opening his own yard. Heero at first worked as Chief of Security for Vice Foreign Minister Relena Peacecraft; but frustration and frequent arguments caused him to quit. He now worked as an independent computer systems consultant. It was easy work and gave him the freedom he didn't have working for Relena.

All in all they tried to live normal lives, but after years of training and fighting, it was more difficult than they thought. World peace left them restless and empty. So, one by one, they all came to the same solution.

*****

" But Iria, I can handle both the start up of the new resource satellite and the labor contract negotiations." Quatre exclaimed, pacing back and forth in front of his desk.

"Quatre, as head of Winner Industries, I know you want to have a hand in every aspect of it's operation; but you have to learn to delegate a little more." Iria said, trying to clam Quatre down.

" I need to keep busy Iria. There is never enough for me to do. I'm just not used to such a slow pace of living."

"Quatre, your doing everyone else's duties. Some of the department heads are grumbling about your interference. Father always trusted them and their decisions. Why don't you? "

" It's been a lifetime since I could trust another's decision Iria. As you know, there are few people I could trust and depend on, whether it is business or my life."

" There is nothing else you can do about it. The wars are over and you have to settle for life as it is now. You are the heir of Winner Industries; it's time to do what you were born to do Quatre."

" It may be what I was born for, it doesn't mean it's what I want to do."

" Than what do you want to do Quatre?"

" To be truthful ? I don't know exactly, but I know it isn't this. Trowa is coming to visit soon. I'll discuss this with him. He understands my problems where 29 sisters do not." Quatre turned and looked out the office window.

" We'll talk about this later." Iria left him standing by the window to his own thoughts.

`Oh Trowa, do you feel restless like I do now that peace exists? We fought so hard to achieve this; we were supposed to be happy. Why do I feel so empty?'

*****

flashback

"Heero, there you are. I've been looking for you." Said Relena, as she caught sight of him walking down the hall.

"Why? I've been in my office all day. You only had to pick up the phone to find me." He said, his voice showing irritation. " It's late and I'm headed for dinner."

" Dinner, what a wonderful suggestion. Where do you want to go? Or would you rather have Chef make something special for us?"

Heero let out a long sigh and counted to ten before answering. It was like this almost every day. All he wanted was to go home for a simple meal and relax. It was impossible to get a minutes peace around Relena. She expected more from him than he could give. Protecting her for the sake of continued world peace just didn't seem worth his effort anymore.

" Relena, I'm tired and it's been a long day. I just want to go home."

" I thought we could spend some time together. We haven't had a chance to spend any time alone without work. I've cleared my schedule for the week." Relena rambled on.

" I have plans for the week and now that I think about it, for the rest of my life."

" What plans Heero?" Relena asked with a puzzled look.

" Plans that do not involve working for you any longer." Heero handed her an envelope. "Here is my resignation, effective immediately."

" You can't resign! I need you here!" Cried Relena.

" You don't need me for security, you have always had excellent staff for that. You expect a relationship that never existed." Answered Heero.

" What do you mean never existed? How could I not mean anything to you after the last two years?" Relena's voice was rising now.

" You were a messenger of peace. A peace I fought hard for. Protecting you during peace was the logical next step. You don't need protecting Relena, at least not by me." Leaving her speechless, Heero turned and walked away.

End flashback

Heero had settled into his next job quite easily. Working alone as an independent computer consultant suited him nicely. It was a little like being a Gundam Pilot, moving place to place, no roots, just dong the job. One clients face just blending into the next. Most of the jobs were simple; trouble shooting, rewriting code. Others were slightly challenging. Companies needed increased security from hackers. Adding firewalls and other security reroutes made the job almost enjoyable. He usually hacked into a system to find it's faults and fix it. But he always added a few backdoors only he knew about which might come in handy someday.

Heero arrived at the condo he was renting while on the current job. He threw his jacket on the sofa and put his briefcase and laptop on the table. On his way to the kitchen, he noticed the answering machine blinking. `Probably the current client already.' They called every night with questions that could wait until morning. He continued on into the kitchen to make dinner. He would listen to it later while he was eating.

Sitting at the table with his teriyaki chicken and ramen, Heero opened his briefcase and took out a notepad. In between bites he looked over his notes trying to decide what the client wanted this time. He turned on the answering machine and it was not the client.

" Heero Yuy; Chang Wufei here. The Preventers are in need of your consulting services. Reservations have been made in your name on the morning shuttle. I will meet you on arrival here." The message ended then the next one started. It was the client, of course. He cut off the message before it ended, picked up the phone and called the client.

*****

Trowa followed Catherine into the trailer after their last show of the evening. The crowds were getting smaller everywhere they went now. The peace everyone was enjoying hadn't helped their little circus any. People were finding new ways to entertain themselves other than this little traveling show. It was getting smaller all the time. Fewer crowds left less money to pay everyone and feed the animals.

" What are our choices Catherine? He can't hold out much longer."

" I don't want to think about it Trowa." Catherine turned away.

" It's only inevitable, the offers are getting larger each time they come back. He'll sell for sure next time. What choice does he have?" Trowa continued.

" Then we will merge with the larger circus, that's all. We'll still have the act."

" They won't need any more clowns, they have more than enough now. You can use any one of them for your act." Said Trowa matter of factly.

" But Trowa, you're my brother, part of the act." Protested Catherine.

" Catherine, you can use anyone and you know it. Besides, they won't allow me all the time I take off, to visit Quatre, like I do now. They are all business, not family like this circus is."

" Then what will you do Trowa?"

" I'm visiting Quatre after our next stop, we have a lot to discuss anyway. I'll let you know then." Trowa yawned and stretched. " It's getting late and we're moving tomorrow. I'm going to bed. Good night Catherine. Don't worry, I'll be fine." Trowa entered his small room not noticing the tear trace down Catherine's cheek.

*****

Duo slammed the door of his small office, turned and kicked the wastebasket then opened the door and slammed it again, even harder.

" That Bastard!! How can he say those parts are a glut on the market, he just bought a shipment last week." Duo yelled at the walls. He threw himself down in his desk chair, spun around several times then flopped his legs on the desk, knocking several old coffee cups on the floor.

" Damn it! That sale was supposed to make the next mortgage payment. Where do I get the cash now?" He leaned back in his chair and rubbed his hands over his face. " So much for turning swords into plowshares. Who's big idea was that, huh?" A quiet knock sounded on the door and it slowly opened a few inches.

" Is it safe to come in?" Asked Hilde

" Yeah, yeah, I won't bite." Replied Duo.

" I just stopped in to let you know that I've finished up the bookkeeping. There really wasn't much to enter this month."

" Tell me about it. Between the wars I could move anything, now we actually have peace and I can't sell a fucking washer, let alone used MS parts."

" I'm sure business will turn around soon Duo. I'm just sorry I won't be around to help you."

" What do you mean Hilde?"

" Did you forget already silly? My wedding is in two weeks, and you still haven't returned the RSVP."

" Oh yeah, sorry, it's here somewhere. I know I filled it out." Duo mumbled as he sifted through the papers on his desk.

" Don't worry about it, you're welcome with or without it Duo."

" Sorry Hilde, I've had a lot on my mind lately, that's all."

" Something or someone I should know about?" Asked Hilde.

" Huh? No. I guess I have a lot of thinking to do. It's kinda hard to retire from war when all you've done your entire life is fight for one thing or another."

" I think I understand a little Duo, but now we should all be enjoying the peace you and I fought for. It's your reward."

" Yeah? Well how come I feel like I won the booby prize instead?"

" I have to go. Last dress fitting. Call me if you want to talk, ok?"

" `k" Duo answered, not watching as Hilde closed the door. " The peace I fought so hard for seems to have ruined my life so far. There has to be a way to get out of this hole. Think Maxwell! What would Heero do now." He said as he stacked his pens and pencils in a neat design on the desk. He hadn't had much contact with the others in a long time, but Heero only a week ago. He would drop a quick e-mail to Duo at each new location he was working at, but not much else. That was a miracle in itself really, since he never contacted any of the others. " Oh well, back to business, maybe Howard could give me some inside info on what is selling right now." He turned to the vidphone and dialed Howard's number.

*****

The shuttle port was virtually deserted when the last scheduled flight arrived at the gate. The passengers shuffled out one by one, weary and bleary eyed. The last passenger scanned the waiting area until his eyes found it's target and steadily approached the waiting figure.

" Heero." Wufei nodded.

" Wufei." Heero responded.

" Any other luggage to pick up?" Wufei asked as they headed for the car.

" No, you didn't exactly explain how much work was needed on your system. I can always send for the rest of my things if need be."

" We can go over that in the morning when we meet with Lady Une. Your to stay with me tonight. After meeting with Une, you may want to arrange other accommodations."

" Sounds like this is more than a consulting job Wufei."

" That's all I can tell you right now Heero."

The drive to Wufei's was quiet for the most part, casual talk passed the time. A few questions to catch up on the last few months since the war ended. At Wufei's small apartment, Heero settled for the livingroom futon. It was only a few hours before dawn arrived and the meeting.

` What would Duo say in this situation? "Curiouser and Curiouser" ' Heero thought with a slight smile on his lips. That summed it up fairly well.

*****

At Preventer Headquarters, Lady Une was waiting for the last two participants to arrive. Already present were members of the ESUN Security Board, which the Preventers reported to, in addition to the Preventer psychologist. Worry and anticipation covered the faces she looked out on.

The door to the conference room opened, Wufei entered with Heero behind him. Heero observed the men and women surrounding the long table, recognizing several without acknowledging them.

" Welcome Heero, I'm pleased you accepted our invitation. Please sit down." Lady Une spoke and gestured to a seat. Heero joined Wufei at the table.

" An invitation gives one the opportunity to decline. It's obvious you did not need me for computer work, considering your other guests. Now what is the real reason you want me here?"

TBC…..