Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ A Fine Line ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

A Fine Line

By Gossamer Wings

Rating: R for now, NC 17 for much later

Warning: Shouen ai, yaoi, language, violence.

Disclaimer: The Gundam boys aren't mine, but any original content and characters are.

Archive: www.fanfiction.net and www.Mediaminer.org just type in Gossamer Wings

E-mail: gossamer__wings@hotmail.com and gossamerwings1x2@yahoo.com

C&C: anxiously needed and appreciated

Chapter 2:

The taxi drove off, leaving the tall silent figure standing at the entrance gate. Walking steadily up to the door, he brushed his long bangs out of his eyes, and then rang the bell. The scuffling of feet could be heard behind the door before it opened. The large ornate portal revealed a man in Arab dress.

"Trowa Barton! Master Quatre wasn't expecting you until next week. He will be pleasantly surprised when he returns home. Let me take your bag" Auda offered.

"That's alright; I'll take care of it." Trowa said as they came to the stairs.

"Master Quatre will be delayed; his meetings concerning the new resource satellite have been running later than usual. Would you like me to let him know you are here?" asked Auda.

"No, I would like to rest for a while, the shuttle flight was tiring." replied Trowa.

"As you wish, I'll have a late dinner ready for you then." Auda bowed slightly and left Trowa to go on his own. Trowa climbed the stairs and made his way to the room he and Quatre shared. Once inside he felt the tension in his muscles release as he breathed in the scent of Quatre that permeated the room. It was good to be back, even though he loved his sister, this was where he belonged. Home was wherever Quatre was. As he stretched out on the bed, he yawned and promptly fell asleep with a slight smile on his lips.

Hours later Quatre arrived home, not in the best of moods. He was still having trouble with cooperation among the department heads and supervisors of the project. It was bad enough with them politely disagreeing with him, but what his Space Heart told him was a different story. He didn't know how long he could go on with the feelings of distrust and disdain he was getting from everyone. It was wearing him down mentally and physically.

`How I need Trowa here now.' He thought. `But it's another week before he is due to arrive.'

Abdul approached Quatre "Let me take your briefcase and jacket Master Quatre. A light dinner is waiting for you."

"I'm not very hungry tonight Abdul, just send some tea to my room." Quatre stated wearily.

"But I'm sure your guest would enjoy your company Master Quatre." answered Abdul.

Quatre's face first showed puzzlement. "Guest?" Then his face brightened and a smile reached his lips as he exclaimed "Trowa is here? But he is early! Why didn't you call and tell me, I would have gladly left the meeting."

"He was exhausted Sir and requested to be left alone to rest until you arrived."

"Thank you Abdul, I'll take care of that now. I'll call you when we are ready for dinner. I believe my appetite has returned." With a spring in his step he climbed the stairs. Before Abdul could reply Quatre had disappeared down the hall.

The doorknob slowly turned and the door opened soundlessly. Peering into the dimly lit room, Quatre noted Trowa on the bed deeply asleep. Before entering the room he removed his shoes then crept toward the bed until he was standing next to the edge. `Trowa must be exhausted; he should have woken before I was halfway across the room.' He thought. `I guess our reflexes are slacking off now that the war is over.' He leaned over and placed a kiss on Trowa's cheek. Without warning two strong arms wrapped around Quatre and he found himself thrown onto the bed with Trowa smirking down at him.

"Well now, does my angel really think he could sneak in here without my knowing? The air changed the second you entered."

"Trowa, why didn't you let me know that you were coming early?" Quatre giggled. "I would have canceled the meeting."

"Time for that later, I've missed you." Trowa lowered himself into a passionate kiss; Quatre responding in kind. A moan coming deep from Quatre's throat before they separated.

"Trowa, Abdul has dinner waiting." Quatre said between placing little nibbles along Trowa's neck. "And I think we will need the energy to continue this properly."

"If you insist my Angel." Trowa breathed as he ran his fingers through Quatre's silky hair. "I'll remember where we left off."

***

"Trowa, how is Catherine doing? Have you changed your act any?" Quatre asked in between bites. He hadn't realized how famished he was. The meetings have worn him down so much this week.

"Well to be honest, the act will be changing quite a lot. It will go on without me." Trowa began.

"Without you?! You're quitting the act?" asked Quatre.

"Not exactly quitting Quatre. Remember I told you a larger circus was making offers to buy ours out?"

"Only, now that you mention it. I didn't think it would ever happen. Your circus always had good crowds." stated Quatre.

"That was before the war was over. Now, with peace, people seem to have other things to do. They don't need the circus to take their minds off of their troubles. The crowds diminished, cash flow slowed, acts left for bigger shows. We were dying on our feet. The Boss finally sold out; the offer was too good to refuse. He can retire now." explained Trowa.

"But what about your act with Catherine? Is she out of a job too?" questioned Quatre.

"No, the other circus insisted on keeping her in the show. What they didn't need was another acrobatic clown."

"They fired you! A circus always needs clowns." Quatre dropped his fork.

"Quatre, don't get excited. I'm fine with the decision. They wouldn't let me take my usual time off with you anyway." Trowa stated, not sounding worried at all.

"What will you do now? You can always stay here and work with me." Quatre offered.

"I've been thinking the last few weeks about what to do and I think you would be interested in joining the venture I have in mind." Trowa looked at Quatre with a raised eyebrow.

"Are you saying go on a vacation? I could sure use one. But I don't think that I could spare the time right now." sighed Quatre.

"Quatre, you're always telling me how the people who worked for your father have not been very cooperative since you've taken over. Could you let your sisters take over for a while?"

"My sisters did run things while I was still fighting after father's death. My being young, they just don't trust or respect my judgment. No experience they say. But…."Quatre paused.

"But what Quatre?" pressured Trowa.

"Well… I haven't mentioned this to you before…" Quatra hesitated again.

"Does it have to do with me?" asked Trowa.

"NO Trowa! Not at all! It's the emotions I feel around here all the time. Distrust, disdain, ridicule, I could go on forever. It's wearing me down. I don't know how much longer I can put up with it. I find it harder all the time to block it all out." Quatre said as he slumped back into his chair.

"Why haven't you told me about this Quatre?" Trowa asked worriedly.

"I thought I could handle it on my own. During the war my abilities didn't seem that strong. I'd feel things once in a while if the emotion was strong, but now, it's like I'm bombarded from all sides all the time." sighed Quatre.

"Then what I have in mind should help you with your problem."

"Trowa, if it's going to help, don't keep it a secret any longer. TELL ME!!"

"I want to join the Preventers." Trowa said bluntly. "I spoke with Sally Po a few months ago about your abilities. I didn't even know it was hurting you so much then. She told me about the Preventers looking for empaths who could help them in their work. They would help you develop and control your abilities while in return you are helping maintain the peace." Trowa explained. "What do you say?"

"It's very tempting." Quatre paused "What would you do at the Preventers?"

"Besides being your assistant? What ever was needed. We could be working with Wufei again; part of the team back together."

"Help me with my abilities hmm… It would be nice to be back on Earth." contemplated Quatre.

"Think it over before you decide." said Trowa.

After a few minutes of silence Quatre spoke again. "I don't have to think about it Trowa. I'll do it. Getting help with my abilities will save my sanity!"

"I'll call Sally in the morning then." Trowa said satisfied.

"It will take me a while to turn responsibilities over to my sisters, plus arrange for our accommodations and…" Quatre continued.

"Slow down Quatre, we don't need to make plans this instant. We can start tomorrow if you want."

"But you've gotten me to look forward to, instead of dreading tomorrow Trowa."

"I appreciate your enthusiasm" Trowa yawned "But it is getting late."

"I'm sorry Trowa, I almost forgot about your long flight. Shall we?" Quatre rose from the table and extended his hand as Trowa also stood. They strolled to their room hand in hand until the door closed behind them.

"Now where did we leave off? Oh I remember" as Trowa began placing little kisses down Quatre's neck while unbuttoning his shirt.

"I thought you were tired?" whispered Quatre.

"Never too tired for you." And then the light went out.

***

Lady Une stood silently, gaining the attention of the group. "Heero, you have been asked here because you had worked for the Vice Foreign Minister."

"I resigned that position months ago. I no longer have any contact with her." Heero said flatly.

"That is not relevant to our purpose Heero. What we need is someone who has worked closely with her outside her public persona. Someone who knows how she thinks and acts away from the public eye." Retorted Lady Une firmly.

"Could you tell us why you resigned?" asked a board member.

"It was professional reasons. We had frequent disagreements over security issues. She no longer wanted her bodyguards to carry any form of weapon including Tazers. When she wanted to dismantle and discard all physical forms of protection in and around the estate that was the last straw." Heero paused. "She called herself a `Bird in a guilded cage', that she couldn't promote her ideals if she herself relied on the means of violence to protect herself. It showed a lack of trust to the people." Heero ended.

"I see." said the Preventer psychologist. "The Vice Foreign Minister relied on you quite a bit. Were there any other disputes or changes in her behavior that hastened your departure?"

"I think you should just get to the point of this meeting Lady Une." Heero stared at the psychologist with an unveiled expression of contempt.

"Over the last few months, Relena's speeches have grown erratic. She has gone from promoting peace and encouraging negotiation to solve problems, to the extreme of ridding the world and colonies of any form or means of violence. Even if it's initial purpose is nonviolent. She seems to have found a violent use in almost anything. Relena has decided that an agency which uses violence to prevent violence is totally at odds with the Total Pacifism she promotes. To that end, she has petitioned the ESUN to disband the Preventers." Lady Une ended to let Heero comprehend the information.

"Relena supported the Preventers, a necessary evil in her eyes. She still did when I left. How do I fit in here?" Heero asked suspiciously, an eyebrow raised.

"Her present behavior is causing concern through out the ESUN and the colonies. Some cry insane fanatic, others genius. We need you to help us bring her here and to stay long enough so we can conduct some psychological testing. Perhaps more intensive tests if indicated." stated the psychologist.

"And how do you expect me to do that? I've told you I haven't had any contact with her since I resigned. I wasn't expecting to again." Heero huffed and crossed his arms over his chest in defiance.

Ms. Moore of the board spoke up next. "Mr. Yuy, it was a well known fact that Miss Peacecraft had an…

emotional attachment to you during the wars. She would stop at nothing to track you down. Do you still insist that your resignation was purely professional and not something more?"

Heero felt the anger rise within him, fortunately for the board member; it did not flow past his mask. "Madam, in my training I was taught that emotions are useless, I do not experience them. Whatever Relena felt or thought she felt for me could never be reciprocated." Heero paused. "To satisfy your earlier question Doctor, Relena wanted a relationship. I declined."

"I think we have established the fact that Miss Peacecraft was… infatuated with you Heero." interrupted Lady Une. "In fact that still might be the case."

Wufei faced Heero next. "Heero, our intelligence has been intercepting Relena's communications and it appears she is still keeping track of your whereabouts. Haven't you noticed that wherever you've gone, Relena was there shortly after to give a speech or attend a meeting?"

Heero looked at Wufei with a slight look of surprise. "So now she will know I'm at Preventer Headquarters. You've used me as bait to lure her here, so she can keep stalking me?"

"Not exactly" continued Wufei. "We've found she will come if you stay longer than a week anywhere. But for our purposes we need you and her here much longer than that."

Understanding crossed Heero's face as he stated. "You want me to become a member of the Preventers so she will change her mind about shutting you down. Correct?"

Lady Une answered. "Both reasons Heero. Because of her attachment to you, why would she try to shut us down if you enjoy the work? In the mean time we can get the testing done. If the testing is conclusive, then the ESUN will take the appropriate action it needs with Relena. Either way the Preventers will remain intact. After that you can stay or leave, it's your choice."

"What if she still wants to shut you down because I am a member? Won't this plan backfire on you?" retorted Heero.

"We'll take our chances Heero. Now, will you cooperate?" demanded Lady Une.

***

The weekend provided a brief respite from the office which Quatre greatly appreciated. Now that Trowa was here and seemed to have an answer for his difficulties, life was looking brighter. Trowa entered the den where Quatre was on the vidphone with one of his sisters. Quatre noticed him and ended his call.

"So far so good, Trowa. All my sisters that were involved with the company are all more than happy to resume the endeavor." Quatre said with a smile. "All that remains is an industry wide letter explaining my absence. To many of them it will be a welcome relief."

Trowa sat on the corner of Quatre's desk. "I spoke to Sally a few hours ago and we are more than welcome. We even have Lady Une's request to arrive as soon as possible, as she has a use for your abilities very soon."

"Did she say what she had in mind?" asked Quatre.

"She said it would have to wait until we arrived. She didn't want to talk on an unsecured line. Sounds like something big to me." Trowa replied.

"Well, all I have left is the letter and living arrangements on Earth. Rashid will handle moving our belongings. We can be out of here by the middle of the week at the latest." Quatre said excitedly. "I haven't felt like this since the start of Operation Meteor."

"One other thing Sally mentioned. We are to keep a low profile; we arrive like any other of the Preventer recruits. General Orientation starts in one week.

Quatre gave Trowa a mock salute "Yes Sir. Preventer recruit Quatre Raberba Winner, reporting for duty Sir." They both laughed as Trowa returned his salute.

***

Right on schedule Quatre and Trowa were settled into their rented house approximately 10Km. From Preventer HQ. It was small by Quatre's standards but a mansion in Trowa's eyes. It suited their needs as new recruits.

Trowa returned from answering the door carrying two good sized packages, handing one to Quatre. "Our Preventer uniforms; orientation begins tomorrow at 0800. Monday is for any new recruit no matter their job. After that it is job specific." Trowa informed him.

"We'll probably get to see Wufei sometime during the day then. It will be good to see him again. He certainly must be enjoying himself. At least he didn't have to put up with the difficulties we have since the war ended." Quatre said as he looked over the uniform.

"Yes Quatre, I'm sure he's put his talents to good use as we soon will be." Trowa nodded in agreement.

TBC…