Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ A Fine Line ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

A Fine Line

By Gossamer Wings

Rating: R for the first 6 chapters; NC17 for later in the story.

Warning: Yaoi and violence ahead.

Disclaimer: The usual GW stuff, but all original content and characters belong to the author.

Archive: www.fanfiction.net and www.Mediaminer.org just type in Gossamer Wings

E-mail: gossamer__wings@hotmail.com and gossamerwings1x2@yahoo.com

C&C: Please! Any comments craved and appreciated.

Chapter 3

Taking a few more sips of the champagne, Duo watched the merry guests enjoy themselves from his isolated corner table. His tablemates had already abandoned him for the dance floor. He watched as Hilde danced, first with her new husband then separated as the band announced the next song would be a credit dance. In order to dance with the bride or groom you had to pay them one credit. Duo searched his pockets to see what he had left. Money had been tight the last two weeks, with only a few small sales after that large shipment cancellation. Howard was able to help him get two small sales as it was. Duo's hand came out of his pocket with two credits. He could afford a dance or two with Hilde, he owed her that much since he wasn't able to pay her this month. He stood up, put a smile on his face and joined the line waiting to dance with Hilde. He participated in idle chatter with the other guests in line until it was his turn.

"Well Hilde girl, you finally made it. A real married woman now." Duo said as he placed a small kiss on her cheek. Then with a twinkle in his eye he said. "I thought a girl always looked for a guy with a simple last name. But not Hilde, you go from Schbeiker to Dalyrmple. Now that is a mouthful to say and spell." He chuckled as Hilde gave him a soft punch in the arm. "Ow, I was only kidding. Harvey's a great guy. He better take good care of you or he'll have to answer to me."

"Oh Duo, what are we going to do with you?" Hilde giggled.

"Hey, there is no cure for me ya know. How long are you and Harvey going to be away?" Duo kept his smile in place.

"We have two weeks booked at the new resort on L4. I showed you the brochure last month." Then Hilde asked worriedly. "Duo, is everything alright? You're not usually this forgetful."

"Just business, that's all. Howard is helping the best he can. I'm sure things will be looking up when you get back. Then I'll be able to pay you for your work." Duo said quietly, his smile fading a bit.

"Don't worry about that Duo, what are friends for." Hilde said.

Someone tapped Duo on the shoulder. His time was up and the next person was waiting to dance with Hilde. "I'll talk to ya when you get back, ok? Have a great time." Duo walked back to his table, picked up his glass and finished off the drink. Instead of sitting back down or attacking the buffet table, he left unnoticed for home.

***

The heat in the colony was unbearable today. The climate systems were most unpredictable and hit extremes while trying to simulate the weather of an Earth summer or winter. It brought the sweltering heat of late summer too soon.

Duo entered his small living area along side his salvage yard, suit jacket slung over his shoulder. Sweat saturated his dress shirt that now clung like a second skin, closing the door quickly he immediately pushed the air conditioning onto high, then threw the jacket as well as his tie on the floor, before flopping down on the sofa.

"Two weeks at the resort on L4. I could use a vacation like that." Duo mused. "Yeah right, only if I won the Lottery." He chuckled as he started to doze. It must have been the combination of the heat, champagne and mental exhaustion, for Duo was quickly deep asleep.

The roar of the air conditioner slowly transformed to the sound of the rolling surf. Duo found himself lying on a hot sandy beach watching the clouds float by, the sounds of sea birds echoing in the air. All seemed quiet and peaceful. He could feel the built up tension from the last few months begin to ease and relaxation take over. "Mmm, this is the life." He thought to himself. "No worries, no bill collectors." He let out a soulful sigh.

In the distance he could hear voices shouting and they were getting closer. He sat up, shading his eyes from the sun with his hand, to see what the commotion was. He saw a group of people approaching, what they were saying not quite clear. He looked around noting the beach was deserted except for his presence. Something was unsettling about all this. The distant voices were clearer now, they were shouting his name in anger and he could see them waving papers in the air. "Duo Maxwell! Payments over due! Late fees! Cut off services! Foreclosure!" The voices crashed over him like the pounding surf, as he covered his ears to block them out.

"No! I'm trying my best!" he shouted. "No one wants to deal with the leftovers of war!"

Howard suddenly appeared next to him. "Duo, you got to make a break for it. They're closing in fast!" he said urgently. Duo nodded affirmatively and took off down the beach, not really knowing where he was headed. But no matter how fast he ran the bill collectors seemed to be right behind him.

The sunny sky turned dark with clouds, black and foreboding. The soft warm breeze became cold and fierce. Thunder rumbled in the distance after each strike of lightening brightened the sky like a fireworks display.

"NO, leave me alone!" he cried out. "I tried my best. Leave me ALONE!" he screamed.

Out of the corner of his vision he saw movement; he turned his head to see a shadowed figure just in front of the palms. "There is a way out over here!" it called. The figure stood still, waiting. Duo headed for the mysterious person, but exhaustion was taking over as he slowed down. He couldn't slow down now, they would catch him. "I can't make it! Help Me!" The lightening illuminated the area in a strobe effect revealing Heero with his hand outstretched. Duo tried to reach out and take Heero's hand, but he just couldn't get any closer. The harder he tried, the slower he became, as if he were mired in quicksand.

"Heero, help me! I can't reach you! Help me!" He kept screaming. Duo awoke with a start finding himself still on his sofa, gasping for air. He tried to calm himself, his hands still shaking, as he wiped the sweat from his forehead.

"Man, what a nightmare! I know I didn't have that much to drink." Duo said to himself.

Entering the kitchenette, Duo poured himself a cup of coffee. Feeling a shiver, he realized the air was still on full blast and turned it back to normal. He sat on the sofa sipping from the steaming mug, contemplating his nightmare. "If I don't make the next payment the bank WILL be chasing after me." He sighed. "Maybe I do need to get away for a while to think things over. But where?" He continued sipping his coffee adding more to it as he paced around his little living quarters. As he remembered the part where Heero was reaching out to help him. "Would Heero really want to help me? Or was my mind just playing tricks on me?" he thought out loud. "I should read his e-mails to see where he is." Never understanding why he saved every last one of them, he sat down at his computer and called up the file named Heero and began to read.

***

A full pot of coffee later Duo finished reading all of Heero's e-mails. Surprisingly he had even replied to most of them. They seemed to communicate with each other more now than during the war. He reread the last letter about being called to Preventer HQ for an emergency job. No new ones since then. "So Heero got called to Earth. Earth is nice this time of year." Duo dialed up Howard and as his face filled the screen Duo put on his best smile.

"Hey Howard, how are things going?"

"Duo, if you need more help getting sales, you're out of luck today. Even my contacts are drying up. You know I would bend over backwards to help you." Howard replied.

"Well that's not the reason I called." snapped Duo. "Sorry `bout that. I'm planing on going away for awhile. I need to… rethink my options. If you know what I mean." He finished quietly.

"That I do, Duo." Howard smiled back at him.

"As a favor, do you think you could spare time to watch my yard? Until I get back that is." asked Duo.

"I could do that, no problem." answered Howard. "Where are you going? And for how long?"

"Earth. There might me some help for me there." Duo paused, biting his lip. "Howard….Could you lend me some money? I'm kind of tapped out at the moment."

"Sure Duo, let me know what you need, I'll send it over." Howard smiled back at him.

"Thanks Howard, you're a real pal."

***

The beginning of July was unusually mild for the local. Quatre and Trowa arrived at the Preventer HQ expecting a harsh military like building. Instead they found a sprawling campus on the outskirts on the city, containing several two and three story buildings as well as a hanger or two.

After showing their ID's, they were directed to park and use a specific entrance. Upon entering, they were surprised by the number of recruits assembled.

"Remember Quatre, a lot of these people are in support positions as well as secretaries and maintenance workers. We don't know how many are agents like ourselves."

"I just didn't realize how similar it is to Winner Industries." Quatre said as they picked up their orientation packets from a table at the entrance of the large meeting room they entered.

It was close to 0800 and the various groups that were milling about started taking their seats. The uniformed person at the front of the room stood at the podium tapping on the microphone gaining everyone's attention. The soft murmur of idle talk died down so the person could address them.

Quatre nudged Trowa with his elbow. "I didn't think we would see Wufei so soon. Maybe we can get lunch together."

"This should be interesting; Wufei was never one for public speaking." whispered Trowa.

"Good Morning everyone and Welcome to the Preventers." Wufei began. "You have all come here for primarily the same mission, to maintain the peace that was fought for by many brave people. Each of you will have a different role, from field work to support. Each is just as important as the next; we are all equals in this endeavor." Wufei paused. "As you all remember from the last Eve War, peace is tenuous at best. It is the Preventers duty to seek out threats to our peace and neutralize it before they come to their fruition."

Quatre's attention was starting to wander, as it now seemed that Wufei was heading into one of his lectures on war and justice. They had heard Wufei talk on interminably when they were pilots. Trowa seemed to be paying attention, but he had been known to sleep with his eyes open during one of Wufei's rants. The rest of the new recruits hung onto his every word.

No one, except Quatre, noticed the door silently open just enough to let one late arrival in and settle into a nearby seat across the aisle. Quatre stifled a small gasp as he recognized Heero Yuy.

Heero heard the gasp and turned his head finding himself staring face to face with Quatre. Trowa awakened at Quatre's gasp looked in the direction Quatre was and also found himself staring at Heero. Heero gave no hint of recognition, his eyes showing their usual steely gaze, and then turned his attention to Wufei.

Wufei had kept an eye on Heero after his entrance and met Heero's fiery stare. There was questioning anger that would have to be addressed later. Wufei continued on with his speech as if the exchange had never happened.

"Trowa, what's Heero doing here?" Quatre whispered.

"We'll find out later. Heero is not one who volunteers without a reason." Trowa whispered back.

They both turned their attention back to Wufei until they could take a break and talk to Heero. Wufei, keeping an eye on his three former comrades, continued speaking.

"Man had always been a violent animal. Though we pride ourselves for our intelligence, that intelligence has not led to a completely peaceful existence. Take away one weapon and he will find another to destroy with. Before the era of mobile suits and thermal weapons, we used nuclear and biological arms. Before that standard artillery powered by various gun powders. Before that, swords and arrows and before that sticks and stones. So, as many a Mother has said, `Put that stick down before you poke someone's eye out with it.' " The group all laughed at Wufei's attempt at levity, and everyone seemed to relax a little. " As you can see, the most ordinary object can be turned into a weapon. It is the intent in which an object is used that causes it to be called a weapon. As Preventers, it is not our job to outlaw everything that could be dangerous. If we did that, we would have nothing to live with, not even our simple sticks and stones. Our duty is to be watchful of what people may be planing to use as weapons and their purpose. Out duty is to maintain the peace, quietly. Again, welcome to the Preventers. I'll now leave you in the capable hands of our Physician Dr. Sally Po." Wufei sat back down, not making a move to leave as he planed. If he had, the three former pilots would have followed. They didn't need a confrontation this early in the operation.

Sally took the podium next instructing everyone to their packets for filling out the usual administrative paperwork and releases. Quatre kept glancing at Heero occasionally. Heero was just doing his usual discreet blend in to the crowd routine, ignoring them completely. Trowa put a reassuring hand on Quatre's to let him know they would find out together what was going on. Something didn't feel right with the four of them assembled at the same place and time. Trowa was determined to get answers.

Sally finished up her instructions "And as for your health records, only those who have not sent in their updated medical records are due for a complete physical. You will find the appointment information in your packet."

Quatre and Trowa found their appointment date and time the same. Quatre noticed Heero pull out an appointment slip also, he strained to see what it said, but Heero had crumpled the paper before he could read it.

Trowa nudged Quatre out of his preoccupation with Heero. "Lunch, let's go."

"Heero!" Quatre called as the group of people started to leave the room. Heero hesitated before he decided to join them. He had questions that needed answers also.

"Quatre, Trowa. What are you doing here?" Heero asked.

Trowa answered first. "We came to be Preventers, just like you."

"Heero, join us for lunch." Quatre chirped in. "We can catch up then."

"Fine." He said flatly. He would talk to Wufei about this later in private, after he got answers from Quatre and Trowa. They silently headed for the commissary.

***

They passed down the serving line filling their trays, and then sat at a table located away from the other new recruits.

"I must say, we were surprised to see you here Heero. I thought you were working for Relena?" started Quatre.

Heero looked up from his tray contemplating what to tell them. "That ended months ago. I do computer consulting work now. That's why I'm here."

"I thought they had their own experts, but I guess no one is better than you, Heero. Wufei probably requested you." Trowa stated.

"You could say that." He said as he slurped the last of his milkshake, getting a quizzical look from Quatre.

"Why are you here?"

Trowa started "The circus was sold and no longer needed me; I couldn't live off of Quatre and…"

"Trowa found out Sally was looking for empaths and since I was having… well…difficulties at Winner Industries this seemed like a solution for both of us." Quatre finished.

"What are the plans for your abilities Quatre? I haven't heard of this." Heero questioned.

"We're not sure yet. We meet with Sally this afternoon. So far, all I know is that they will help me develop and control it better." answered Quatre. "How long have you been here anyway?"

"Two weeks. It's a special project, so I'm not sure how long I'll be here." Heero said as he finished the sushi then started on the chili dog and fries still on his tray.

"So you must work with Wufei then? We should get together over the weekend, if you have time." Quatre said.

"I see Wufei daily, he supervises computer surveillance." He said as he continued eating. "I'm sot sure about the weekend, give me your number, I'll call you." Heero looked at his watch; he should be able to catch Wufei if he left now. "I have to get back to work."

"That's ok Heero, we meet with Sally soon too, see you later? Quatre asked

"I guess so." Heero said preoccupied as they left the table. Trowa watched Heero as he walked away, stopping at the cashier to purchase a package of snowballs on his way out.

"Something's not right Trowa." stated Quatre.

"You noticed too?" replied Trowa.

"I sensed Heero wasn't telling the complete truth about why he is here. He is hiding something."

"I'm sure his reason for being here is on a need to know basis. We might even be part of it. But something else is different about Heero. I just can't say exactly what though." Trowa said.

Trowa, did you notice how much he ate for lunch?"

"I believe chili dogs, fries and chocolate milkshakes were never a part of Heero's diet before. Especially the snack he picked up on the way out."

"Oh, what did he get?" asked Quatre.

"Snowballs." He said looking right at Quatre.

Quatre's eyes widened "Snowballs? That was Duo's favorite snack when he could find them. Do you think he is here too?"

"I'm sure we'll find out when we see Sally."

***

Not finding Wufei in his office, Heero returned to the computer complex. With Quatre and Trowa's explanation, it was most likely a coincidence they were all here. But he wanted to make sure.

While waiting for Relena to show up, as Wufei anticipated, he busied himself by improving the Preventers systems. He was supposed to be enjoying himself with his new career after all. The silence in the room was deafening, too quiet. Heero couldn't concentrate on the task at hand; events of the day were unsettling. He sighed as he put on the headset for the CD player, opened his soda and began eating the snowballs.

****

Wufei was meeting with Lady Une and Sally Po after the orientation.

"Why wasn't I informed of Quatre and Trowa coming?" fumed Wufei

"They only contacted me a few weeks ago Wufei, they have very good reasons for joining. Quatre's empathic abilities are disturbing him. I believe we can help him. You know I was looking into a program to research the possibility of using empaths during investigations. It seemed like the perfect opportunity to start." answered Sally.

"If Quatre's abilities are as good as described even now, perhaps we could use this gift on our problem with Relena." added Lady Une.

"True, Relena would not be suspicious of any of us former pilots. It would only be inevitable that we would end up here with our history. She is familiar with all of us to one extant or another." said Wufei.

Is there any sign of Relena coming here? It's been two weeks since Heero arrived." asked Lady Une. "If she doesn't show we'll have to let Heero go on his way. We can't hold him here forever"

"Not yet, but we are aware that she knows he is here. There have been inquiries into accommodations from her people. Looks like a long term arrangement, not just a secure hotel she usually reserves for speeches and meetings. She will come." answered Wufei confidently.

"Do you have any ideas on what pretext she will be visiting Wufei?"

"I believe she will be on a fact finding mission. Looking into the type of recruits, their background, our training. Whatever she needs to prove we are too violent to ensure pacifism." He reported.

"Sally, how will we get her tested?"

"I have plans to challenge her to participate in recruit screening and testing. That way we can do as much as she'll let us, as long as a few new recruits do also. Tests we don't usually do. If she balks, we'll have to find a plan B. I don't think she will back down." said Sally.

"If she does back down, we can use Heero, if he tests, she'll do it. I'm sure he will test out "non violent" said Lady Une.

"Don't forget we have Quatre. He should be able to pick up something even at this stage of his abilities. I meet with him and Trowa shortly." said Sally.

"They will have to know that this is why Heero is here. They suspect something already. You should have seen them at the orientation. They already had lunch together, probably compared notes." said Wufei. "They don't like being toyed with."

"Tell Heero I'll meet with all of you at 1600 in my office. Meeting adjourned." finished Lady Une.

***

Wufei entered the computer complex stopping at the desk.

"Have you seen Heero Yuy this afternoon Vivian?" Wufei asked the new secretary.

"Yes sir, He has been in room 5 since he returned from lunch." Vivian replied, as she pushed a reddish curl behind her ear and smiling widely.

"Thank you Vivian that will be all." Wufei nodded politely as he headed down the hall.

Vivian placed her chin on her hands and sighed as she thought. `Miss Relena chased after him for years and I get to see Heero Yuy every day.'

***

Wufei knocked on the door of room 5 and didn't get an answer. He entered, maybe Heero had stepped out. He saw Heero's back to him and called out his name. Heero had been known to totally ignore everything when he was concentrating at the keyboard. "Heero" he said again. Then he noticed the headset. "Must be evaluating some new communications." He thought as he stood next to him to get his attention, even though Heero probably already knew Wufei was there.

Heero looked up at him as he removed the headset. The static like sound of loud rock and roll was heard, causing Wufei to frown.

"I've never known you to listen to music when you worked Heero." stated Wufei.

"It was too quiet; the background noise helps me keep focused." He answered.

"Lady Une wants to see us at 1600 in her office." stated Wufei.

"Will Quatre and Trowa be there also?" he asked pointedly.

"Of course, but they were not part of the original plan Heero. They came on their own and aren't aware of their potential role." Wufei said indignantly.

"So much for all your well made plans." snorted Heero. "I'll be there." He said as he turned back to the computer screen and replaced the headset, again ignoring Wufei. Wufei knew he would get nothing more from Heero and promptly left.

****

Quatre and Trowa were waiting patiently in Sally's office. She was a half hour late when she walked in.

"I'm sorry I'm late, I had a last minute conference." She said as she sat at her desk.

"Don't mention it Sally, we don't mind. The quiet here helped block things." Quatre stated. "Trowa said you would be able to help me."

"First, I don't know much about what you can do or how strong your abilities are. I haven't met many empaths Quatre." Sally said, "Tell me about it."

"Well it's not like I know what people are actually thinking, it's more how they are thinking, their emotions just seem to radiate out and hit me. At first it had to be very strong emotions, very basic like fear, pain, hate. It would cause me pain and feel the same emotion."

"Would this happen often? How long have you been able to experience this?" Sally asked.

"Well it only seemed to start strongly while I was a Gundam Pilot. I can't be sure, but I might have had occurrences as a child. As to how often…I guess if the need was important to know." answered Quatre.

"Have your abilities changed any since the war ended?"

"Oh yes, so much Sally. I've been able to sense whatever emotion that is directed at me all the time. It drains me both physically and mentally. The only way to stop it has been to get away and be alone. It isn't the way I want to live my life Sally."

"Are you able to detect emotions directed at other people?" Sally continued with her questions while jotting down notes.

"Yes, if they are strong enough."

"Sally," Trowa interrupted "Will you be able to help Quatre? That is the main reason we came here."

"We have one empath on consultation now. He is going to help us help you. Scott had developed ways, walls and rooms he calls them, so the emotions will not affect you as they do now. He says it's more like reading a recipe then getting involved with a great novel plot you can't put down."

"When can we get started Sally?"

"I have you scheduled to meet Scott first thing tomorrow. But first I have to tell you Lady Une has set up a meeting at 1600 and wants you both to attend."

"I remember you stating she had a use for Quatre's abilities. Is this part of it.?" asked Trowa.

"I believe so; I can't say anything else until then."

"Is Heero involved also? We know he is here." stated Trowa.

"Like I said, you'll find out at the meeting. Until then you have some free time." With that Sally dismissed them.

"I don't like the feel of this." said Trowa "There is a lot being unsaid."

"It doesn't feel like Sally is hiding anything to be deceptive. We are not being tricked into doing anything."

"So far Quatre. Let's see what Lady Une has in mind." Countered Trowa

"We have a few hours until then; let's see what this place is like, do you have the map?" With that, they proceeded on a `self tour' of the Preventer ground. Retired soldiers never give up old habits.

****

1600 hrs. came and all were assembled except Wufei, who came in about five minutes late.

"I expect you have a good reason for being late Wufei." said Lady Une.

"News of our project." Wufei stated simply.

"Good, now let's begin. Dr. Springer, you've met Heero and know Wufei. Let me introduce you to Quatre Winner and Trowa Barton. They were also Gundam pilots and have met Relena on occasion." Quatre and Trowa looked at each other quickly with a questioning look, and then turned back to Lady Une.

"So good to meet you Mr. Winner, I'm told you are an empath. I would have preferred you have been fully trained first, but the situation needs to be dealt with as soon as possible."

"Lady Une." interrupted Trowa, "There has been enough avoidance of the topic. What is the situation and how do we all fit in.? Do you need the Gundam Pilots to save the world again?"

"Alright, here are the facts." started Une. "Relena Peacecraft, in her effort to promote Total Pacifism, has caused severe unrest among the Earth and Colonies. If you've listened to her speeches and observed the results of her negotiations lately, you will see her solutions are no longer helpful nor rational."

"You mean she has gone insane." Trowa said matter of factly. "I've heard people complain about her ideas. Someone in her position of power is dangerous indeed. What do you have in mind and where do we all fit in?"

"I see that you are on top of things Trowa, as always." started Wufei. "Actually, you and Quatre weren't part of our plan. When you called wanting to come, Sally suggested that Quatre could be helpful. So we are asking you to join us."

"Lay out your plan and we'll decide. But I won't allow you to use Quatre as a Guinea pig in all this." Trowa said sternly, wrapping a protective arm around Quatre's waist.

Lady Une told them about their plan, and that the ESUN would make their decision on what action to take.

"We are hoping that your abilities will be able to find any differences in her behavior and her actions, things the testing won't show. I know she is not aware of what you can do, so it is to our advantage to have you on board. I understand your training begins tomorrow." finished Lady Une.

"Yes it does. If I can help prevent Relena from creating chaos, I'll do what I can." Quatre said firmly.

"Wufei, did you have information for me?" Lady Une looked to Wufei.

"As expected, Relena has rented a large house outside the city for an undetermined length of time. She should be arriving in the next few weeks. That should give us adequate time to work with Quatre and set things in motion." reported Wufei.

"Heero." Said Trowa "I'm a little surprised you're allowing yourself to be used like this."

"The peace is in danger; I'll do what needs to be done to protect peace. Relena is dangerous. I saw that not long ago, now the danger must be removed." answered Heero.

"Wufei, keep us informed on Relena's movements. Meeting adjourned." Lady Une stood to leave.

Dr. Springer stood then stopped. "Quatre I will be assisting Scott with your training. I'll see you in the morning. It is a pleasure to have met the Gundam Pilots, but weren't there five of you?"

Wufei rolled his eyes and let out a huff. "Please Dr. Springer, for this delicate plan we do not need that annoying and troublesome Maxwell around."

Trowa and Quatre looked at Wufei, unsure of what to make of his remark. They thought Duo was here by Heero's behavior. Heero gave Wufei one of his stern glares. Slowly everyone left to go about their duties.

On the way home Quatre turned to Trowa "Trowa, when Wufei mentioned Duo, I got the strangest feelings from Heero. I just can't pin point what the feelings are."

"I would think that Heero would be the hardest person to decipher. He doesn't know what most emotions are, let alone experience them. Remember his training. If he doesn't understand what he is feeling, how can you understand it.?" Trowa said.

"I guess your right." agreed Quatre. "But, Duo did always seem to know how to read Heero's mood better than I, and he isn't even an empath. It's too bad he isn't here like we thought."

****

"Natasha, are all the arrangements for my stay by Preventer Headquarters finalized?"

"Yes, Miss Relena. The house has an open ended lease, you can stay as long as you like." answered Natasha.

"Then it is time to notify Lady Une of my impending arrival. I've prepared the letter; have it delivered first thing tomorrow. It's time to see what that organization is really up to. It certainly isn't promoting Pacifism as I am doing." Relena said, handing Natasha the envelope.

"Very well Miss Relena. Everything will be ready for your arrival after you finish your summer lectures at the University."

"That will be all Natasha." Relena said as she returned to her desk. `So' she thought to herself `Heero has given up trying the civilian life. He just couldn't give up his old ways. We'll see about that. What will he do when the Preventers are disbanded?' Then she laughed.

****

Quatre and Trowa arrived at 0800 sharp to meet with Scott and Dr. Springer to begin Quatre's training. The office was in a lower section of the medical building. Quatre knocked on the door and a muffled `come in' was heard. Entering the office expecting to see a secretary and a normal office setting, they were surprised to find a quite different atmosphere. The area was softly lit, several comfortable chairs and sofas as well as fluffy mats on the thick carpeting. It was well soundproofed and low soft music could be heard. It seemed the ideal place for relaxation. Quatre felt completely at ease.

Two men approached, Dr. Springer speaking first. "Good Morning Quatre, Trowa. Let me introduce you to Scott Crotty. He has been helping us set up the project. Scott this young man is Quatre Winner, our first empath to enlist, and his friend Trowa Barton."

They all exchanged pleasantries and shook hands all around. "Quatre, I look forward to working with you and your talent. You can tone down your anxiety level now, I don't bite. You will find my methods very easy to use once you learn them and then you'll be amazed at how much more you'll be able to do." Quatre gave a relieved smile, realizing how nervous he had been. Scott looked Trowa over as if he were studying his very being. "Trowa you don't have to be so suspicious, you can check my background with Dr. Springer if you have any concerns. There is nothing about the training that would harm your… friend."

Quatre and Trowa looked at each other then back at Scott. "You could sense all that?" asked Quatre "Just that quick and it doesn't affect you physically?"

"Not if you follow my instructions. You will learn to read the emotions not feel them. Otherwise the talent would be a curse instead of the tool you will make of it." Scott said.

"Amazing, I'm ready to begin" Quatre said excitedly.

"My training is more a one on one technique, Dr. Springer is here mainly to observe and monitor your physical as well as psychological reactions. The less distractions as possible the better, in the beginning."

"So my presence is no longer required." stated Trowa.

"Not at this time, I need to begin on a clear channel to Quatre and with you here he would not be able to concentrate on the controls needed at this stage. Once he has the controls in place then you are very welcome. At that point you can walk him through various exercises I have prepared. I will give you the outlines at a later date."

"I understand." Trowa said looking at Quatre questioning.

"I'll be fine Trowa; it's what you brought me here for. Why don't you go see Wufei or Heero? I'll meet you for lunch."

Trowa looked at his watch. "Lunch then." Then left the room.

"Now then, let's begin Quatre; settle yourself anywhere that is comfortable for you."

****

Trowa made his way to Wufei's office in the main computer complex, stopping at the main desk. The young woman was occupied with an intense telephone conversation. She reminded him of Catherine with her reddish curls. She seemed oblivious to him, so he cleared his throat to attract her attention. The sound had no effect on the chattering girl. "Excuse me" He tried again.

The girl practically toppled from her chair at the sound of his voice and in the process knocked over a flower vase, which in turn knocked over her beverage glass saturating the assorted papers covering the desk. "Ughhh!!" the young women tried desperately to stop the flow of liquid from progressing any further, to no avail, ending up wet herself. "Mr. Chang is going to absolutely kill me this time." She whimpered. "I'm sorry, I didn't notice you waiting."

"I'm sorry I startled you, you were busy, let me help." Trowa offered.

"No, no, that's alright, this seems to happen to me all the time. Can I help you?" She said with a smile as if the incident didn't happen.

"Could you tell me if Wufei is available? I need to discuss a project with him."

"Mr. Chang is in, who shall I say is here?"

"Tell him Trowa Barton." He replied, surprised at her emphasis on the Mr. "Miss Messer" he said as he looked at her name tag.

"Just call me Vivian, everyone else does, one moment please." As she buzzed Wufei's phone. "Mr. Chang, Mr. Barton is here to see you. You can go right in, his office is…"

"I know where to go." He cut her off as headed down the hall.

Vivian continued to watch him as he walked on down the hall. For a new recruit, he sure seemed a little too confidant about where to go. Then the name he gave rang a bell. `Miss Relena had spoken of the Gundam pilots and now I've met three of the five. I know Heero is off limits, he's Relena's. Wufei is just not my type. This Trowa is handsome, quiet and very polite. Maybe?' Vivian was jarred from her daydreams as more water from the desk dripped on her foot.

***

"Trowa, what can I do for you?" Wufei offered as he entered and took a seat.

"What can you tell me about this Scott Crotty and what has he done for the Preventers?"


"A little overprotective aren't you? I can assure you Quatre is in good hands. Scott has assisted us in several investigations, with excellent results. When he questions people, it is almost like he can literally read their minds. If Quatre is able to do as well as Scott, he will be a valuable asset to the Preventers in maintaining the peace."

"I see everyone is pleased with his performance, what about his background check?"


"He had a complete check done, no OZ or Romafella connections. Had no dealings with any of the factions during the wars. It interfered with his abilities too much, as Quatre is bothered by his own now. That is when he perfected his talent, so it wouldn't affect him. We have the utmost confidence in him to train Quatre."

"I'm only thinking of Quatre's health and safety Wufei. Not just an asset for the Preventers."

"Is that the only reason Trowa?" Wufei asked pointedly. "I'm surprised you would have so little faith in him."

Trowa's face reddened in anger. "It's not that. I trust Quatre. He is just fragile and vulnerable right now."

"I can understand that, Sally said he wasn't up to his physical peak."

"That is why I want to make sure he isn't overworked when Relena shows up."

"I wouldn't worry, she is coming after Heero as much as the whole organization. If it wasn't for the fact that she endangers the peace I have a feeling Heero would not have cooperated with us at all." Wufei said.

"But he protected her for years and even worked for her, why the change in attitude?"

"I know Trowa, I thought they were a couple also. He just blew her off when she confronted him about it when he quit her employ. He has changed; he's not the same Heero Yuy we knew."

"I know what you mean, Quatre and I noted changes also. New habits he didn't have before. But then we never really knew him before Operation Meteor."

"It doesn't matter what new habits he has picked up as long as it does not hinder this operation with Relena. It's delicate as it is to try to relieve her of her world influence. She has too many followers and enemies that are more than willing to start up a war if she isn't removed in a way that looks like it is her own doing."

"I guess your right." After a brief silence Trowa asked "By the way, why did you react the way you did about Duo when Dr. Springer asked where the fifth pilot was?"

"You know how irresponsible Maxwell can be at times, Trowa. The skills he has aren't needed and his behavior distracting. It would be like having another Vivian Messer around."

"The secretary that spilled water all over her desk when I arrived? Does she do that often?"

"I swear she is a walking disaster area. I don't know how she passed all the tests. One thing she has going for her, besides her family connections with the ESUN, she has a photographic memory." Wufei sighed. "If she could just stop being so careless, she could be a good agent." Wufei looked at his watch.

"Am I keeping you from something Wufei? I'm due to have lunch with Quatre anyway."

"No, lunch was next on my agenda, might I join you? I would like to hear how Quatre faired during his first training session."

"I'm sure he wouldn't mind." Trowa answered as they both got up to leave. Halfway down the hall they met Herro coming toward them.

"Trowa, Wufei." Heero greeted them. "How was Quatre's training today?"

"I don't know Heero, I wasn't allowed to remain. I'm meeting him for lunch if you care to join us."

"I'll do that, let's go." He said curtly and started walking as the rest followed.

"Vivian, we will be at lunch. I do not want to be disturbed." instructed Wufei.

"Yes Mr. Chang." Replied Vivian as she watched the three Gundam pilots exit the building. She picked up the phone. "Carol, can you relieve me at the desk? I need my lunch break now. Great. Only instructions are no pages for Mr. Chang. Do not disturb. Thanks. I owe you one." `Now, to check out Trowa.'

***

Quatre was already waiting for Trowa at the commissary entrance. His smile getting larger when he saw Wufei and Heero with him.

"It's great all of you are here, and then I won't have to repeat myself several times." Quatre said.

"From your actions I see everything went well Winner." stated Wufei.

"Let's sit down first before I start can we?"

"Of course Quatre." Trowa said as he slid an arm around his waist and led him inside.

They didn't notice Vivian a short distance away watching them. The look of disappointment showed on her face as she observed the physical contact and body language between Trowa and the blonde. `Well there goes Trowa. He definitely wouldn't be interested in me. The blonde one must be Quatre Winner of Winner Industries. Who would have thought that such a diverse group of young men could have been the Gundam Pilots? Wait, there is still one more, but he isn't here. What did Miss Relena say about him? A long haired idiot who was lucky he didn't get them all killed during the wars, a real pest. Even if he was here I doubt I would be interested in him.' Vivian proceeded to purchase a take out lunch and eat outside.

***

"Well Quatre, we're all waiting with bated breath, what happened?" asked Trowa impatiently.

"It was fantastic Trowa! Already I'm able to block out what I couldn't before. We started with some new relaxation techniques, and then moved into some self hypnosis and bio feedback. It taught me to shield out only what I wanted to feel. I am so glad you talked me into coming. You saved my life again." Quatre's face just glowed as he looked at Trowa.

"Any more planned for the afternoon?"

"No, Scott didn't think I would get this far already. He'll have a full day planned out for tomorrow now that he has an idea of the extent of my abilities." answered Quatre.

The sound of slurping caused everyone to pause and stare at Heero. "Sorry." He said, putting the cup down. Trowa used he eyes to direct Quatre to Heero's tray which contained three slices of pizza with everything on it, bread sticks and apple pie. As well as the milkshake he just finished and a soda.

"Yuy, must you make that awful sound?" complained Wufei.

With Heero and Wufei occupied Trowa whispered "Can you try to read him? Something is definitely wrong with Heero. Either that or he is not the real Heero."

"I'll try." Quatre mouthed, concentrating just on Heero.

"Wufei" interrupted Trowa "Do you have anything for us to do this afternoon? We could go over the details of the current mission to make sure all is in place before her arrival." Trowa dragged the conversation on so Quatre could read Heero's reactions to the conversation.

"We could go over the testing planed and I'm sure she'll want to examine the entire facility. She may want to see records of recent missions also." answered Wufei.

"That's fine, your office then?"

"Yes, we'll have to use the computer room also to call up the classified missions." finished Wufei. "I'll meet you there. I have to see Sally about something."

"So Heero" asked Quatre. "What kind of work has Wufei given you since you've been here? Gone on any missions?"

"No, my mission is to remain here until Relena shows up. I've kept myself occupied by updating their computer systems. It was in incredible need of updating. I'm surprised they were able to gather any information with the systems they have, the bureaucrats always underfund the agencies they need the most." Heero told them in between each mouthful until he finished. "Are you ready to go?"

"Uh, sure." Answered Quatre, surprised at the length of relaxed conversation from Heero. On their way out Heero again stopped at the cashier for a snack and purchased a small package of cotton candy.

While waiting for Heero to catch up, Trowa asked, "Well, is he the real Heero?"

"That much I'm sure about Trowa. His emotions are still hard to read but I did pick up boredom and loneliness most of the time. When Wufei mentioned HER, you could say the anger and hate needle went right off the dial. Probably because she's a political threat right now. The loneliness is what I don't understand as Heero never minded being alone. In fact, he preferred it. I would like to know what it is he is lonely for." Quatre quickly finished as Heero caught up with them.

As they crossed the court yard toward the computer complex, no one noticed Vivian leave the bench and follow them inside. `Mr. Chang wasn't with them and is probably back at work as I should be' she thought. In fact, Wufei had entered just ahead of them.

Upon entering the computer complex, they witnessed a commotion at the reception desk. A few security guards were talking to someone and there were assorted groups of female employees giggling and pointing at the person the guards were talking to. Being the tallest of the group Trowa could see a little of what was going on. The stranger was short, about Quatre's height, his hands moving rapidly as he talked and seemed to be dressed all in black including a cap. Trowa slowed down, the rest slowing with him, as Wufei approached the scene.

"What is going on here!?" bellowed Wufei. The guards moved, allowing him to get close to the situation. As he did, the stranger took off his cap and a long chestnut braid fell down to his knees.

"MAXWELL!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE AND HOW IN KAMI'S NAME DID YOU GET IN!!?" an exasperated and shocked Wufei screamed.

"Wu man! Am I glad to see you! These guys just won't listen to me." exclaimed Duo with a smile on his face.

"Do you know this person Sir?" asked the guard.

"Unfortunately yes, you can go. I'll take over from here." Wufei sighed; he pinched the bridge of his nose, as a headache started.

"Well, to answer your questions Wu, I got in because you security sucks and second I came here to see…."

Duo stopped talking in mid sentence as the rest of the pilots approached. "Heero!! Just the person I came to see."

"Maxwell! My office. NOW!!" Wufei huffed as he turned to go. All four followed him in silence.

Vivian gaped at the new arrival as the five of them filed past. `Was this the one Miss Relena called a long haired idiot? Not this gorgeous young man, those eyes, that smile, that hair. Now this could get interesting.'

****

Arriving in the office, Wufei sat behind his desk directing Duo to a chair in front of it. Heero took the chair next to Duo while Quatre and Trowa sat on a small sofa next to the door. Quatre tried to talk to Trowa but was interrupted as Wufei started in on Duo again.

"Alright Maxwell, explain yourself for this disruption you've caused."

"Sorry Wu-man, I guess I should have come straight up instead of being polite and asking for you guys." Duo started.

"Get to the point Maxwell." Wufei said gruffly, trying to cut Duo's rambling short.

"Gee, give me a chance Wufei." Duo replied, and then paused. "I'm on vacation from my yard for a few weeks, so I thought I'd come see Heero. That's all."

"And how did you know he was here at Preventer Headquarters?"

"Heero always tells me where he is, but I didn't expect Q and Trowa here too. What `cha doing? Having a party and don't invite me? Thanks a bunch guys, now I really feel wanted." He pouted.

Wufei was stopped short with Duo's answer and looked to Heero with a questioning look.

"We exchange e-mail. I didn't know that my presence was supposed to be a secret." Heero said as he shrugged. "Why the interrogation Wufei? Duo is one of us and you treat him like some OZ spy."

Wufei sputtered a bit. "Well, he breached our security and invaded our intelligence sector. That's why." He ended indignantly.

"Wufei, getting in here was a cake walk. You could really use a whole new system." Duo started again. "Forget about upgrading. Since you hired Heero, you should include the security system too, not just the computers."

Wufei's eyes widened in disbelief at Duo's statements. "Heero, how much have you told him about your being here?" he demanded.

"Only what you just heard. Are you satisfied with the answers now?" Heero glared at Wufei.

"Yes. Maxwell, you can go now." Wufei dismissed Duo with a wave of his hand.

"What! No, Gee how have you been, it's great to see you, how about a tour? Just the bums rush. Here's your hat what's your hurry." Duo got up and walked to the door giving a quick glance at Heero, before opening it to leave. "Do I need an escort or do you trust me not to blow the place up on my way out?"

Wufei said nothing in response. As the door slowly closed behind him, Heero jumped from his chair to catch the door and follow Duo. "Duo! Wait!" he called after him, leaving the remaining pilots behind in the

office.

****

"Wufei, what is wrong with you, treating Duo like that?" Trowa said angrily "Duo is just being Duo, you know that."

Wufei let out a long sigh shaking his head. "Your right. I was just surprised to see him here, that's all. My concentration is all on my operation with Relena. It has to go perfectly." He confessed.

"Right. Your operation Wufei. First you drag Heero here under false pretenses and practically hold him hostage using his devotion to peace. We come voluntarily for our own reasons, then find out we're part of your little plan too. Now Duo shows up and you don't even welcome him? You just ask him to leave?" lectured Trowa "If it wasn't so important I'm sure Quatre and I would rethink our decision to be here."

"Wufei" Quatre started quietly "It's obvious that Duo doesn't know why we are all here. He came to see Heero on his vacation. At least they have maintained their friendship with each other. That's more than I can say myself. I regret that I let my work get in the way. Can you say the same Wufei?"

After a long pause Wufei shook his head no.

"Let's go Trowa." Quatre said as he stood to leave.

****

"Duo! Wait!" Heero called as he caught up to him. "Why didn't you tell me you were coming?"

Duo stopped dead in his tracks, turning to face Heero. The anger on his face softened, replaced with a small smile. "I'm sorry, this vacation was a mistake. A spur of the moment idea. I don't know what I was thinking." Duo said sadly, brushing back his bangs. "Thanks for standing up for me with Wufei." Duo turned to walk away.

"Where do you think you're going?" Heero said as he grabbed Duo's arm.

"Wufei made it perfectly clear I was `persona non grata' around here." Duo slapped Heero's hand off his arm.

"Wufei does not run the place." Heero answered

"You could of fooled me, by the way that pompous ass was acting."

"He has his reasons." Trowa interrupted.

"Q-man, Trowa!! What a sight for sore eyes." Duo smiled ear to ear giving them both a big Duo hug. "I guess this is a kind of reunion now, huh?"

"Duo, it is great to see you." broke in Quatre "We're a little miffed at Wufei too. I'm sure he'll calm down and change his mind later."

"Yeah, he always had a short fuse when it came to me. I should let him cool down. Now what do we do?" shrugged Duo.

"How about that tour you wanted?" suggested Heero as they stopped in front of Vivian's desk. "Vivian, may I have a visitors badge for our friend?" She reached in her drawer for the badge. "Not that one, the other kind," Heero corrected her. She nodded and handed Heero the one he indicated. Heero hung the chained badge around Duo's neck. It read VIP VISITOR which was only used for government officials.

"Gee, thanks Heero." Duo's eyes glistened with appreciation as his smile went ear to ear. "Where to we start?" They proceeded down the hallway as Duo put an arm around Heero's shoulder. "Let's start at your office; you do have one, right? Hey guy's, you coming?" He called over his shoulder.

"We'll catch up in a minute Duo." Quatre motioned Trowa away from Vivian's desk. "Trowa, I know what Heero was lonely for." Quatre whispered.

"What do you mean… oh." Trowa nodded. "It all adds up now."

"Even you didn't need to be an empath to figure that out." Quatre chuckled.

"As much as Heero complained about Duo over the years, I guess he decided he wasn't annoying after all." added Trowa. "Duo is like background noise you don't notice until it's turned off, and then you wonder what is missing."

"It's about time Heero has a close friend, he'll need it when Relena shows up."

"Duo said he was only here a few weeks though. Let's hope we can get her wrapped up by then. We better catch up with them." Trowa took Quatre arm and proceeded down the hall.

Vivian watched the swaying of Duo's braid as he and Heero walked down the hall. `What energy he has, such a friendly personality. To bad he is only here on vacation.' Vivian sighed, pushing the uncontrollable curls away from her face and resumed her work.

****

Several hours past as Duo was given the royal treatment on his tour of Preventer headquarters. They were now in the medical building to see if Sally was in. Her door opened just as they were ready to enter.

"Duo, how wonderful to see you! How are you?" Sally greeted him. "Wufei said you were visiting."

"I'm just fine Sally, nice place you have here, could use some improvements though. Maybe I should talk to Lady Une for you." Duo said with a wink and a smirk.

"You haven't changed a bit. I'd like to continue this conversation but The Lady just called for me."

"That's ok Sally. I'll be around for a while." answered Duo as she left down the hall.

"We'll have to get going too Duo. I have a full day training session tomorrow. I'm sorry." apologized Quatre.

"He had a tiring day and needs his rest." Added Trowa "We'll get together again later in the week."

"No problem guys. I guess I popped in at a bad time. Later then." He waved to them as they departed, leaving Duo and Heero alone.

"I guess that's the end of the tour. I might as well get going myself." Duo shuffled his feet "Don't want to wear out my welcome." He laughed nervously.

"Where are you staying? I'll drive you." offered Heero.

"Ummm… I haven't figured that out yet. I came here right from the shuttle port." Duo confessed.

"That settles it. You're staying with me." Heero insisted as he grabbed Duo's duffel and headed for the exit.

TBC

****