Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ A Fine Line ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

A Fine Line

By Gossamer Wings

Rating: R for the first 6 Chapters; NC17 for later in the story

Warning: Shouen ai, yaoi, violence, language

Disclaimer: The usual GW stuff. All original content and characters belong to the author.

Archive: www.fanfiction.net and www.mediaminer.org just type in Gossamer Wings

E-mail: gossamer__wings@hotmail.com and gossamerwings1x2@yahoo.com

C&C: Greatly needed and appreciated.

AN: Hope you are all enjoying this. Tell your friends if you do. Please review, review, review. I crave acceptance. I have a one shot story on my author's page for all to see that needs some reader attention also.

Chapter 4

Sally and Wufei entered Lady Une's office. Une sat at her desk with a letter in her hand. "I just received this letter from Relena. She informs me that she will be arriving in a few weeks to discuss the needs of the Preventers." Une said as she handed the letter to them to read. "These other papers are lists of what she wants to inspect while she is here." Une then handed them a stack of papers at least 4-5 cm. thick.

"That will keep her here at least a month." exclaimed Sally. "That will be sufficient time to do all we need to do without her becoming suspicious."

"And Maxwell should be gone by the time she arrives." added Wufei.

"Duo Maxwell is here? Why didn't you mention this?" Une asked "He wasn't on today's visitor list."

"He showed up after lunch. His own way." Wufei answered quickly.

"His own way? I assume our security system wasn't any match for him then." Lady Une smiled. "Perhaps you could convince him to stay to improve our security procedures. That was his specialty, infiltration."

"I saw the others giving him a tour; he even had the VIP badge on. Is he going to stay like the others?" asked Sally

"He said he was on vacation and came to see Heero. I doubt he'll stay." Wufei paused. "I treated him rather badly when he appeared."

"What did you do Wufei?" Sally said accusingly, knowing the temper he could have.

"I'll apologize when I see him later." Wufei left it at that.

"Wufei, you said Duo came in his own way. He bypassed all the security points, just walked in without anyone noticing?" Sally asked.

Lady Une chuckled "Sally, Duo is special. I doubt anyone else could do what he does except maybe Heero. Wufei, find the weaknesses Duo came in through and correct them right away. I'm sure Relena would want to use this against us as well unless….. Duo is our security consultant.

"WHAT!" exclaimed Wufei.

"Just list him that way in the logs. Now get to work on Relena's list. Sally I want your written plan for her testing and surveillance by the end of the week, along with a report on Quatre's training progress. Dismissed."

****

The drive to Heero's apartment was short, since he was staying in a Preventer owned building. He needed to be close in the event Relena arrived, but from what Heero had learned, she probably knew where he lived. Duo chatted about the flight to Earth and how he infiltrated headquarters along the way. Heero made mental notes of Duo's exploits to bring up with Lady Une.

"Gee Heero; you're still as talkative as ever." Duo complained as they entered the building.

"Hnn. I was just thinking."

"You always think too much. Well I was thinking too. Like, how come all of you are now Preventers and Wufei is jumpier than ever. Is something going on you don't want me to know?"

"I'm only here temporarily Duo, I told you that when I came here."

"But Lady Une is one sly fox, throw Wu-man in the mixture and I'd say the offer changed the minute you walked in the door. Don't tell me you weren't the least little bit suspicious Heero. I know you too well; you knew they were up to something when they called you. Now spill!"

Heero looked at Duo deep in thought about what to tell him. "I don't want to get you involved, you're on vacation." He said finally.

"Heero, I am involved because I know something's up. Can I help while I'm here?"

"Now that you mention that, why are you here Duo? You're always telling me how busy you are with the salvage yard."

"Well." Duo fidgeted "Business has gotten a little slow right now… and with Hilde on her honeymoon I just thought… what better time to get away and visit friends." He finished with a fake smile hoping Heero didn't see through it. "I could sure use a shower right now. It's almost as hot here as on L2 when I left."

"Down the hall on the right is the spare bedroom. Bathroom is well stocked." Heero directed, knowing he wouldn't get much else out of him. `I know you just as well as you know me. We're both withholding information. What are you hiding Duo?'

***

It seemed as if Duo was never going to come back out. To pass the time Heero started dinner. Nothing like one of Duo's favorite meals to loosen his tongue. Heero rummaged through the refrigerator for the necessary ingredients.

The smell of food drifted through the apartment reaching Duo's nose. "Is that spaghetti sauce I smell?"

"Yes, as well as meat balls, garlic bread and salad. It's all I could do at the last minute."

"That's one of my favorites. Can I use the vidphone? I need to call Howard and let him know where I'm staying. Yard business, he's watching things while I'm gone."

"Sure go ahead." Heero left as Duo started to place the call. Duo looked around to make sure Hero wasn't listening.

"Howard, I'm staying with Heero while I'm here. How's the yard?"

"The bank called today Duo. They weren't happy about the partial payment again." Howard said sadly.

"If I could sell my inventory I'll be fine. Have you contacted all my usual clients?"

"Duo, I've gone over your inventory and its three quarter mobile suit parts."

"So?"

"If you haven't noticed, the majority of your clients are ardent followers of Relena Peacecraft. Haven't your listened to her speeches lately?"

"Not really, she's always talking about pacifism, all of us being friends etcetera. What does that have to do with salvage?"

"Her followers adhere to the policy of not reusing anything that was used during the wars. Especially Mobile Suit parts. The L2 group is pressing for the total meltdown of such items."

"What! That would bankrupt me, no wait, I'm almost there anyway. Where are the people that aren't followers of Relena? They would trade with me."

"It's getting complicated here Duo. Most of them have gone underground, preferring the black-market dealers."

"What does the bank suggest I do?"

"I have a proposal here from them; let's just say they want to do right by you, because of your role in the war. Where can I fax this to you?"

"Just a sec….Heero!"

"What Duo." Heero peered around the corner.

"Can Howard fax me some stuff here?"

"The com codes are next to the phone."

"Thanks." Duo gave the codes to Howard. "I'll get back to you on it as soon as I can."

"They want an answer in the next two weeks. So don't dally."

"`K. See ya Howard." Duo switched off the phone. Rubbing his hands over his face he sighed. "What the Hell has Relena been telling people lately?"

"Duo, dinner is ready." Heero called as he began pouring wine into glasses.

Duo entered the small dinning area in awe. "My God Heero, you call this a last minute meal? Even Hilde couldn't whip this up so quick." He sat down and started filling his plate. "Not that she will be able to cook for me any more."

"You said she was on her honeymoon. When was the wedding?" Heero asked; to get Duo on the subject of L2.

"Oh last week, it was a fun day." Duo started, as he finished his first glass of wine. Heero refilled Duo's glass while he just sipped on his own. "Can you believe her new name is Dalyrmple, HAHA. But he's a great guy. He's a sweeper ya know. Took her to that new resort on L4, two whole weeks. Must be nice to have credits to burn like that. Heero, you want that last meatball? They don't feed ya well in economy class." Duo's glass was refilled several more times during the meal. "Howard sure is great taking care of things. It'll be easy since things have been so slow. I probably won't need Hilde to do the books when I get back either." Duo's face was getting flushed by now. Heero hardly needing to encourage him to talk. "Howard said I should listen to Relena's speeches, said that's what's slowing business down. Do you know what she's talking about Heero? You worked for her."

Heero didn't know what to say as he had also stopped listening to her speeches when he left her employ. But that was why he was with the Preventers now. Her speeches causing growing unrest. `Could Relena's actions be hurting Duo as well? That has to be part of why he is here. He couldn't know of the Preventer's plans.'

"I know her Pacifist ideas have gotten a little extreme. It's not what she was encouraging before, just ridding the world of weapons."

"So you do know what she's up to?"

"No, not really Duo. Just from what I've heard or read. I would rather not encounter her again unless I have to."

Duo just stared Heero in the eye for a long moment, digesting his words. Heero knew that look. Duo was analyzing and reading between the lines already.

"Duo what do you want to do tomorrow? I'll arrange time off."

"Don't change the subject Yuy."

"I didn't, you did. I just brought it back to your vacation. "

"Well, I, uh…" Beep, Beep, Beep. "That must be the fax from Howard."

"Go ahead, I'll clean up."

"I'll be right back, just going to glance at it. I'll need to spend time with it tomorrow."

"Big sale going through then?"

"I ho... imagine so." He said leaving the table a little unsteady.

Heero cleared the table and began the clean up expecting Duo to return. After everything was cleaned and put away Duo still had not returned. It was very quiet. No sounds of Duo muttering to himself could be heard. Heero entered the living room finding Duo sound asleep on the sofa, papers strewn over the floor, his lap and some still in his hand. `All of the travel and getting into Preventer HQ must have been tiring plus all the wine I gave him.' "Duo?" Heero asked, only getting a snore in response. Shaking his head he picked up the fallen and scattered papers. Curiosity biting him, he scanned the papers, his eyes widening as he read in disbelief. `This was no business deal. The bank was trying to be generous, due to his role in the war. Damn them! They could do much better than that if they wanted to. But the L2 colony was small minded, business is business. I guess is doesn't matter that he saved their sorry asses countless times. Duo didn't deserve to be treated like this. This was no vacation. It was Duo's silent cry for help. He came to me for help.' "I'll do everything I can to help you Duo." He whispered.

Duo moaned in his sleep, dragging Heero from his thoughts. He gently laid Duo down, getting him comfortable. Retrieving a blanket and pillow from the spare room, he tucked Duo in for the night.

"Good night Duo." He whispered. "Don't worry; I'll always be here for you." He gently brushed the hair from Duo's face and ran his hand down the smooth braid. Duo continued to mumble in his sleep as Heero entered his own room.

****

The following morning Heero expected to find Duo still sleeping, but instead found him on the computer, fresh coffee already in hand.

"You're up early." Heero said, pouring himself a cup.

"Thought I'd take Howard's advice and read up on Relena's speeches. I can't believe some of the ideas she comes up with. Here is one where she is even condemning the Preventers." Duo gave Heero a sly questioning look. "The ESUN is letting her get away with this bull shit?" Duo just shook his head. "I feel like such a fool letting this get by me. I guess we all feel the same way, huh. We were all engrossed in getting back to a normal life, letting Relena take over and guide the world to peace, that we let the fox guard the hen house. Now look where we are. Ultra pacifists trying to tell us how to live our everyday lives. That's not real peace, it's, it's…. I don't know. But it just isn't right."

Heero just looked back at him, not saying anything yet.

"Come on Heero, as much as Une loves peace, she's not going to take this laying down. The Preventers have a rep to protect." Duo continued still waiting for Heero to decide when to answer. He was sure he was close to the real reason Heero was here. "There are a few articles on the PPO. Have you heard of them? It's the Pure Pacifist Organization, a political organization that has been lobbying local, national and colonial governments to follow the teachings of Relena Peacecraft. There have been a few altercations between the PPO protesters and some businesses on L3 and Earth. It looks like some pacifists aren't entirely peaceful."

`Oh Duo, you sure know how to hit the nail on the head.' Heero thought

"Now, what I don't entirely understand is what role four of the five Gundam pilots have in all this. You wouldn't want to answer that for me would you Heero? If not, I'm sure I could hack into Une's or Wufei's computer and get the rest of the story." Duo sat silently, patiently waiting for an answer.

Heero thought through his options. 1) Duo had pinpointed the problems Relena has been causing and linked the ESUN and the Preventers to it. 2) By asking about his and the others roles, he probably knew that there was a plan at work already, but just wanted confirmation. 3) Did Duo feel slighted or betrayed that he wasn't asked to help also. Heero made his decision but certainly wanted the truth from Duo as well, why he was here, if he only discovered the problem with Relena now.

"Alright, I'll level with you on one condition."

"And that would be?"

"Telling me why you're really here and explaining these papers to me." Heero held up the bank offer that Duo had received yesterday.

Duo stared wide eyed at the sheaf of papers Heero held and swallowed hard. "You, you read those?"

"Not completely. I only glanced through as I picked them up. You fell asleep reading."

"Uh, yeah. Thanks for the blanket and pillow and everything." Duo said as he played with the end of his braid.

"The papers Duo." Heero waved the papers to get Duo back on track. "What happened? You were doing so well."

Duo hesitated, trying to figure out how to get out of explaining himself to Heero, but he never lied and now wasn't the time to start. So he took a deep breath and started his story. Hoping Heero would understand.

"I was doing what every other salvage dealer was doing. I bought up all the MS parts I could find. The supply was certainly there and cheap. The parts were all reusable for peaceful purposes; servos, hydraulics, electronics. Any remaining weapons were sent to the Preventers for disposal. Father Maxwell used to talk about turning the swords of war into the plow shears of peace. I was proud of what I was doing."

"Then only about two to three months ago sales started drying up. My regular customers stopped calling. Howard helped when he could, but I wasn't making enough to cover the bills anymore, couldn't pay Hilde for her work or even give her a decent wedding present. Heck, I used my last two credits to dance with her at the reception." Duo got up from his chair, turning away from Heero to face the window fingering his braid.

Heero was about to ask how he managed to get to Earth when Duo resumed talking again.

"At that time I didn't know what caused everything to start falling apart. I tried everything Howard and the sweepers taught me over the years I was with them. I even blamed myself for not being a good business man. After talking with Howard last night and catching up on Relena's activities this morning, I guess you can say Relena is the cause of my destruction. All of her crazy faith in total pacifism."

Duo paused, taking a deep breath before starting the strangest part of his story. Heero, not wanting to interrupt and break the mood, stayed quiet.

"Now, why did I come here you ask. You might find it hard to believe, I still do." He continued, shaking his head slowly. "After I got home from Hilde's reception, I fell asleep and had a dream that turned into a nightmare. Not like the ones during the war, even though I still have them too. Anyway, all my creditors were chasing after me to pay up. I tried running, but couldn't get anywhere. It started storming and a voice calls out to me that there was a way out." Duo's voice became choked with emotion. "The voice was yours Heero. You reached out to me and as hard as I tried I couldn't reach you. That's when I woke up. I thought a lot about it and figured, like in the dream; the way out of my predicament was through you somehow. So, here I am." Duo slowly turned to face Heero. "I know it's silly to follow the advice of a dream, but it's all I had left." He finished in a whisper as he bowed his head in shame.

All during Duo's explanation Heero moved closer to him. He wanted to give Duo the reassurance that Duo would have given him if their situations were switched. He just didn't know how or what. "Duo, it's not silly to ask a friend for help."

"I've pulled in too many favors already Heero. I don't want to ruin what little friendship I have with you by borrowing money." Duo answered, not raising his head.

"Then instead, help me get rid of the cause of your so called destruction."

"Huh?" Duo looked up confused.

"Join the Preventers and help me with the problem of Relena Peacecraft. She has put not only my best friend's life, but thousands of people's lives into total chaos."

"Your best friend?" Duo whispered, pointing at himself in disbelief.

"Of course." Heero reaffirmed.

Duo began hugging Heero. "Then dreams don't lie. You do have a way to help me."

Heero slowly returned Duo's hug, putting his arms around the slight figure holding onto him, realizing how good it felt to hold his friend giving him comfort and reassurance. Duo's stomach interrupted the tender moment with a loud grumble.

"Heero, you do have more than rice balls for breakfast don't you?"

"Let's find out." Heero reluctantly released his hold on Duo and both headed for the kitchen. Heero started bacon and eggs while Duo checked the cupboards before setting the table.

"Oh boy, chocolate covered sugar pops! Gotta start with this. Gee Heero, when did you get a sweet tooth? You always used to complain about my never eating healthy."

"I don't know, I just felt like something sweet." Heero answered, setting the dish of eggs in front of Duo."

"So, what kind of plan has Wufei come up with?" He asked in between bites "I'll need to know so I can convince Lady Une to take me on. Do I get a uniform like yours too?"

Heero gave a small smile as Duo poured a second bowl of cereal. "Usually Lady Une isn't always that easy to convince. In your case I don't think she'll have a problem. If she won't take you on, then I just quit the whole operation. I leave Relena leaves."

"How can you be so sure? What was the deal Heero?"

Heero told Duo the entire set up and what each of the pilots role was. Duo took in every part of the plan, nodding in understanding until Heero had finished. Duo remained silent in thought as he continued eating. Heero awaiting some sort of answer.

"Heero, it's not going to work. If her own medical people can't prove she's nuts, how can the Preventers. Sally and Une are trying to outsmart a diplomat. Even sane diplomats can sound crazy at times, then blame everyone else for the bad results. It'll backfire on them. No, this fox has to be caught in the hen house with the feathers still in her mouth. That would make her step down. I'm not sure what you'll have to catch her doing wrong though. It can't be a set up; her supporters would demand an investigation."

"What about that PPO you mentioned? Does she have any direct links with it? You said there have been altercations."

"I'd have to do more research."

"When do you want to start?

"I guess I could start today, then have info to present to Lady Une tomorrow."

"I'll let Wufei know I won't be in then."

"You don't have to stay home because of me."

"Then come into HQ to work on it. I've made the search programs virtually untraceable since I've been here."

"What about Wufei?"

"He should be calmed down by now. If he isn't, I'll take care of it. I didn't think their plan would work from the start."

Then why go along with it. It's not like you to go along with a badly planned op."

"With Peace in jeopardy someone has to be around to pick up the pieces. Even if it is a coincidence, with all of us together again that should be no problem."

"Let's get going then. Don't want to be late for work." Duo got up with a smile and a wink, heading for the door. Heero pocketed the face sheet from Duo's bank fax and followed.

TBC….