Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Everbody Breaks ❯ The Next Step ( Chapter 8 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

The Next Step
By Kai
 
 
Disclaimer: Nope, I don't own Gundam Wing - and trust me - the boys are VERY thankful for that fact.
 
Ratings: NC-17 (sexual content, dominant and submissive, yaoi, and language)
 
Warnings: Yaoi, 1x2x5x3x4 established and a 1x5+2 (you'll see what I mean!) in this one.
 
Special Thanks To Z for taking on the horrible and terrifying job of betaing for me, you're a life saver!  I'm not sure what flavor, but you are!
 
Summary: Things get more complicated, and Wufei isn't sure he's ready though he's willing to try, he just wasn't sure he could handle being a voyeur or having someone else watch.  Then of course, there's that unexpected phone call that comes at a less than perfect time but what do you do when you're needed?  Wufei knows all too well what his duty is....  Oh and sorry this took so long but RL has it in for me, I swear!  Since so many people wrote me and reviewed, I will definitely keep going with this!
 
 
The Next Step
By Kai
 
My bottom was still a bit sore from the spanking and wearing clean pants and underwear didn't help with the soreness, but strangely it made me feel better.  The pain wouldn't let me forget what we'd done or what Quatre had said.
 
I pushed my loose damp hair behind an ear. I had to shower to wash the blood from my ear and shoulder; the bites were shallow so I hadn't had to wear a band aid over either.  It felt rebellious to have had him so obviously mark me but I liked the feeling.  Quatre had been true to his statement, insisting on dressing and drying me, I was a little relieved he didn't push to wash me as well.  Despite having slept with each of the others I still felt hesitant about letting it go too far.  It felt somewhat unreal that this was all happening as it was and anything more would have been too much for me to handle right then and I think Quatre was aware of that.  I felt safe around him, safe enough to let go and that scared me a little.  True, I felt safe enough with the others to let go as well, but they were the only ones I had ever felt that way with.  Sally was like family and that was probably why I remained guarded around her about certain things.  I knew she would readily listen to anything I chose to reveal to her without judgment, but when you've spent your entire life hiding who you really are and what you truly want it's hard to get over it and move on.
 
I was back downstairs with my sketchpad, drawing Quatre in the commanding way I'd seen him earlier - naked and watching me with a look that still managed to reach inside me and twist something, when the others came back.  Apparently, they'd picked up a couple of DVDs as well as food and though I couldn't be sure because the moment Duo saw me on the couch he hid the bag behind him - a bag that had 'Pleasurable Toys' printed on the outside.  I hoped that they didn't expect anything involving all five of us and sex happening after the movies.
 
To hide my sudden discomfort I closed my sketchpad and placed it in my bag next to the couch.  It wasn't that I doubted my feelings for them or that I doubted what they felt for me.  It was more a case of zero to overload.  To my knowledge no one before them had ever found me attractive or worth getting to know and quite frankly, I had been content with it that way because caring so deeply for four other people was quite enough.  But I hadn't believed that I would have been given the chance of one of them returning my feelings - all four was overwhelming, not unwanted in any way, but overwhelming.
 
In my mind I knew I was being a little silly since we'd technically already had sex as a group of five, but with the blindfold it had been okay because it was as if I hadn't fully known what was happening.  I'd had sex with each of them and learned things about myself that I didn't fully understand.  We'd only been officially together about four days and I didn't think I was ready to deal with more than one sexual partner at a time.  Something else that probably stemmed from my upbringing - homosexuality had been accepted by my clan (well, for everyone but the heir) but multiple partners had been frowned upon.
 
I was so immersed in my thoughts that I didn't notice the sudden quiet in the room until I found Trowa crouching in front of me, watching me in concern.  I was a little surprised to find that my stomach felt like it had become a single solid mass.
 
"Wufei?"
 
I stared at Trowa and my mind was blank.  How do you tell the people that you love that you weren't quite ready to go farther than you'd already managed?  I didn't know.  I had no idea.  What if they wanted that and pushed me away because of it?  The rational part of my mind knew that that would never happen but that wasn't the part that was making my heart race, my mouth go dry or my hands shake.  I could feel myself beginning to panic again and forced it away - trying to bury it like I'd buried most things in the past.
 
Duo was gripping my arm hard moments later.  "Don't you dare!  You can talk to us Fei, you have to talk to us or this is never going to work."
 
My throat closed up and I found myself pulled into a tight embrace.  Duo was holding me so close it almost felt like he was afraid to let me go.  Slowly I looked at Trowa, then at Heero and Quatre, who stood behind him.  Quatre must have just finished his shower before he had come downstairs since his hair was still damp.  There were so many emotions in their eyes that it was difficult to discern what they all were, however what was plain was that their attention was solely on me and that they were waiting.  I owed it to them to at least try to talk to them.
 
I purposely looked away from them to stare at the far wall, but my face still flushed with heat.  Sex wasn't something you talked about and it was only supposed to occur in private with those you were bonded to - at least that's what I'd been taught - so it wasn't easy but I made myself relax slightly and did my best anyway.  "I-I don't think I'm ready for much more than I have right now.  I'm, um, it's more than I ever let myself imagine it could be and I don't think, I mean, too much... I ..." My throat closed up and chocked off anything else I might have tried to say.
 
Luckily Duo had no qualms about being brutally blunt.  "More than one sexual partner at a time for you would be going to fast?"
 
I nodded, still not looking at them and I was a little surprised at what Trowa said next.
 
"What about watching?"
 
I blinked into his green eyes, shocked into looking at him.
 
He smirked a little, more a twitch of his lips than an actually smirk.  "What about you watching two of us or one of us watching you and someone else?"
 
My cheeks flared instantly to life - prude, thy name is Chang.  Still, I forced myself to think about it but having not allowed myself to imagine it in the past it was difficult to get a clear mental image.
 
"Wufei."  Quatre called my name and I looked up in time to see him literally attack Heero's mouth, his hands cupping Heero's rear and pulling their bodies close.  Heero just let himself melt into Quatre with a groan, letting the blond have complete control.  My mind may not have known the answer to Trowa's question but my body, apparently, had no doubts.  It definitely enjoyed the show.
 
Duo chuckled near my ear as his hand briefly trailed over my crotch - forcing me to bite my lip to keep from moaning at the touch.  "Feels to me like we have our answer to Trowa's question, right Fei?"
 
I didn't even bother trying to croak out a reply, choosing to nod instead.
 
Duo's voice became husky.  "Good, because I like to watch."  Then he pulled away and jumped to his feet.  "Dibs on Fei and Heero tonight!  I've been fantasizing about those two together for forever."
 
Quatre pulled back from Heero and had to use both hands to keep Heero upright.  There was a small, but smug smile on his lips as he faced Duo.  "That's because you have an Asian fetish."
 
Duo flipped his braid over his shoulder.  "As if you don't blondie."
 
"As I recall, I never said I didn't but since you get them for tonight I get Trowa and Wufei in the morning."
 
Perhaps I should have been offended or angry at being discussed in such a manner, especially since I was in the room with them but I was strangely content to listen to them argue as I leaned back against Trowa who had taken Duo's place.  I was a little startled when Trowa interrupted them.  "Then I get Duo and Wufei tomorrow evening."
 
Heero seemed to have recovered somewhat though he was still leaning against Quatre.  "Then Quatre and Wufei are mine the morning after."
 
"Hey!"  They turned to look at me in worry; served them right.  "I get Quatre and Duo the evening after Heero then and Heero and Trowa the morning after.  I can't believe you didn't think to ask if I wanted an opportunity to watch any of you!  Injustice!"  My face was hot as I said it but it was what I wanted and the looks on their faces were certainly worth it.  "Now, what are we doing tonight?"
 
Duo hopped over to the bags he'd put on the chair and handed the one with food in it to Heero (I could tell from the aroma) before he rummaged through the other bag and pulled out some DVDs.  "Naruto Marathon!"
 
From what I could tell it looked like a Japanese animation of some kind.  It didn't sound familiar though.  "What's it about?"
 
Duo grinned, "Ninjas!"
 
***********************************
 
It wasn't much of a marathon in the end because it was getting late by the time we sat down to eat and watch the DVDs.  I had to admit that it was surprisingly good, well, what I was able to see was.  For the first two episodes, I was able to devote most of my attention to the show, simply enjoying the companionship the others were giving me.  They were close but no one was actually touching me.
 
It was the start of the third episode that Duo's arm slid around my waist.  I wasn't expecting it and stiffened automatically at the touch.  He instantly started to remove it but I reached across my stomach to push his hand firmly against my hip, ignoring the flush I felt building in my cheeks.  It seemed to me that it was the little touches and the words that were the hardest for me to get used to.  I did my best to relax after that and go back to watching the show but I had suddenly become aware of how close everyone really was.
 
Duo was on my left with his right arm around me.  On my other side Trowa's long frame was folded up in what room was left of the couch.  In front of us, in the space between the couch and the coffee table, Quatre was siting with his back near my legs and right in front of Trowa, Heero was laying down with his head in Quatre's lap.  I wasn't sure how he was able to see the show like that, but maybe that wasn't important to him.  Heero didn't strike me as one to watch much TV and, I had to admit, if I had Quatre running his fingers through my hair I probably wouldn't be worrying about watching TV either.
 
It was sort of strange to be sitting, with them as I was, when I had wanted to do so for so long, almost like it was a dream.  If it was I was fairly certain that I didn't want to wake up.  If it was and I woke I was sure I wouldn't live long after.
 
I shivered a bit at the thought and slid over so that I was leaning against Duo's chest while at the same time I reached out to pull Trowa's leg into my lap.  I wanted to touch Quatre and Heero as well but they weren't close enough to do more than slide my foot under Heero's neck next to Quatre's leg.  It made me feel better, loosing the sudden fear I'd felt tighten in my chest. 
 
Duo's mouth moved by my ear.  "What's wrong baby?"
 
I couldn't help it, I stiffened.  I mean, baby?  Honestly, some people's terrorists.  "Call me baby once more Maxwell and you'll be loosing a package you value greatly."  I said it quietly so he would be the only one to hear.
 
I was rewarded by a light chuckle.  "Alright... love."
 
Funny how such a simple four letter word could make you melt while another could awaken homicidal tendencies.
 
I could have avoided answering his question but avoiding it would only last until the next time Duo asked.  The guy had a mind like a steel trap though, he didn't forget anything.  So I took the more prudent course and avoided avoiding the question I couldn't avoid in the first place.  I was supposed to talk to them after all but that didn't keep me from whispering it.  "Just wondering if this is just a dream."  Even to my ears my voice sounded a bit desperate.
 
Understanding people was something I was good at but understanding them in regard to myself was not.  I expected Duo to do something but having Trowa suddenly lean forward and kiss me breathless was a very nice distraction.
 
As he pulled away his eyes were somehow soft and hard at the same time.  "It's not a dream."
 
Oops, seemed that Trowa was part rabbit.  I did my best to nod confidently and he seemed to accept that as he settled back onto the couch.
 
I managed to relax after that, getting used to the feel of Duo's arm, and watch some more of the show.  I was able to watch one more full episode before Trowa switched positions - with his legs hanging over the arm of the couch he laid his head hesitantly in my lap.  Even though I had seen it coming and had done my best to stay relaxed; I still tensed the moment his head made contact with my lap.
 
Next to me Duo went completely still and I had to fight down a surge of panic that Trowa might try to pull away like Duo had but with the idea that his touch was less welcomed than Duo's. So in an attempt to reassure both of them, I grabbed Duo's hand with my left again and put my right arm across Trowa's waist, just under his arm.  They both held still but Duo's fingers traced light circles over my thigh and Trowa had laced his fingers with mine.  I tried to relax; I really did, because I wanted them there.  The problem was that I couldn't seem to and my heart was thundering in my chest in a way that was distinctly painful. It was made worse by the fact that I was well aware of the fact that I needed to relax soon, or it would cause problems we didn't need.
 
In the end I tuned out everything, not an easy task with two people you wished to enjoy the company of hanging onto you - even with your eyes tightly closed.  Still, with years of meditating behind me it wasn't as difficult as it should have been.
 
It was working okay until Duo whispered into my ear.  "Fei?"
 
When your body functions have slowed down to their minimum functioning speed there are two things that should 'logically' not happen.  The first is that you are able to come out of that state quickly and the second is that you should be brought out of that state quickly.  It's a bit painful and not a little disorientating.  Luckily the only outward sign that it had bothered me was that I'd tensed up again.
 
Blinking at my lap, I found Trowa missing and a quick glance around the living room showed that Quatre and Heero were gone as well also the TV was turned off.  The clock showed that is it was only about ten thirty in the evening but they may have thought I was sleeping and decided to call it a night.  That was probably for the best since I actually wanted to pay attention to Naruto the next time I watched it.  Something I would likely have to do alone, or I wouldn't be able to watch any of it.
 
"Wufei?"  I glanced up at Heero who had come back into the living room and was wearing a strange almost vulnerable _expression.  He must have just come back into the living room.  "Will you take me?"
 
I honestly almost asked him 'where do you want me to take you' but figured it out in time before I did.  Duo would never have let me live it down if I had asked.  Luckily I managed to beat my blush into submission - this time, but that didn't mean I was capable of actually forming words.  When Duo didn't say anything I took it as a sign that he wanted to 'watch'.  Somehow I got the impression that Heero was always in the position of being 'taken'.  I'd never allowed myself to give it much thought before but if I had I, more than likely, would have concluded that he would have been doing the 'taking'.  Then it occurred to me that I didn't really like those terms.  They weren't what I wanted to happen between us.  "No, I won't take you."
 
Heero seemed to collapse in on himself and I cursed myself as I forced my body to stand and reach for him, bringing him against me.  There were reasons I chose to keep to myself and remain silent; the main one being that I wasn't socially adjusted.  Then, trying not to think about it, I kissed him.  I kissed him and tried to give him everything that I was.  Not just the good but the bad, confused, and the parts that I had no name to put to.  When I pulled back I was a little surprised to find myself completely supporting him.  I wasn't the only one 'giving', he was too - just in a different way.
 
Looking into his blue eyes I saw more than I'd ever really allowed myself to before.  "I don't want to 'take' you Heero.  I want to 'give' to you; I want to 'give' to you everything I am but I will not 'take' anything that you do not wish to 'give'.  'Give' me nothing if you wish, it matters not, because I will not hold back from you - or the others - ever again.  I'm tired of holding back.  I know it won't be easy but... I'll try... I'll always try."
 
Our roles seemed to reverse momentarily, because he was suddenly holding me very tight and I felt safe in his arms, how could I not?  He was capable of bending steel bars, nothing would get to me while he was there.
 
I was a little startled when I felt slightly more slender arms, but no less strong, join Heero's around me.  I'd almost forgotten that Duo was there.
 
"Don't push yourself Fei.  Just go at your own pace.  We've waited this long, waiting a little bit longer won't hurt us any."
 
I felt Heero nod in agreement to what Duo said and I was a little relieved because I knew there were things I wasn't ready for.  A lot of things.  Still, I had to get over some of it and right then was as good a time as any.  True, I didn't speak very loudly and my face burned but there was no mistaking the desire in my voice or my eyes as I locked my gaze with Heero's.  "I want to be inside you."
 
It was a little strange and, I have to admit, a bit heady to feel the power my voice and words seemed to have, not only on Heero, but on Duo as well.  They both ground their hips against me and if that wasn't an obvious sign of how they felt, the look in Heero's eyes and the feel of Duo's panting breaths against my ear would have clued me in.  Thankfully, I'm not that dense.
 
Grabbing their hands I led them upstairs and chose the nearest available room.  I figured that if what Quatre had done with me had been enjoyable, then it would probably be for Heero as well; minus the spanking.  I actually found the idea of commanding Heero in such a way highly arousing.  And though I wasn't an exhibitionist; I did sort of like the idea of Duo watching.  Any one but one of the other pilots and I wouldn't have even thought it a possibility.  Perhaps they were a bad influence on me...
 
When we were inside the bedroom I shut and locked the door before I grabbed a chair and put it near the side of the bed.  Then, gently, but firmly I pushed Duo into the chair and leaned over him, never breaking eye contact.  "Don't speak, don't move, don't touch yourself unless I say you can - if you do I'll remove you from the room.  If I remove you and you go to Quatre and Trowa to get release I won't let you touch me for a week and I won't touch you for the same amount of time.  Understand?"
 
Part of me was expecting a flippant reply or a joke but Duo just nodded, the _expression on his face looked like a strange mixture of hunger and lust.  Quatre rewarded me when I listened to him so I leaned forward until my lips were almost touching his but no other part of our bodies were close.  "Good boy."  Then I lightly ran my tongue over his lips, when he moaned slightly I pushed in past his lips and teeth and did my best to make him forget his name, age, and Deathscythe.
 
I felt a little smug at how dazed he appeared afterwards.  I'd never believed I could have that effect on anyone but now that I did I knew I'd have to be careful, it was something I could easily become addicted to.  I had a sudden urge to kiss his nose and though I hesitated for a moment, I still followed it through.  "Remember what I said."
 
Turning I found Heero standing by the door, right where I left him and I suddenly had a new idea.  A combination of what Duo and I had done in the shower and what Quater and I had done earlier but it depended on how heavy Heero was.  I didn't doubt my control but I'd never thought I'd be using it for something like I was planning, it would be an interesting challenge.
 
Something on my face must have shown through because I suddenly had Heero's complete attention.  I didn't walk over to him so much as I stalked over to him, he actually took a few steps back - exactly what I wanted as he was soon against the wall with my arms on each side giving him no where to go.  Since neither of us had shoes on I didn't have to worry about them; balancing on my left leg I ran my right foot up and down both of his legs, smirking when I felt a tube in his left front pocket.  Never loosing contact with his body I re-positioned my foot so that it was firmly over his groin with my toes slowly flexing.  He shuddered and his eyes slid closed.  Martial arts was proving to be useful in some highly amusing ways.  I briefly wondered what the Masters would have said if they could see me but quickly discarded the thought because, knowing my luck, I would have received a very dry critique on my performance.
 
It isn't the easy to do three things at once and I doubt I did a good job; adequate but certainly nothing spectacular.  Standing on one leg I continued to massage Heero through his pants as I kissed him and removed his shirt.  Once the shirt was on the floor I lowered my right leg back to the floor and ran on hand over his chest, the other I used to undo his pants.  I pushed them down awkwardly as I began sucking at his neck.  With one of my feet I stepped down on them so that Heero would have an easier time getting out of them.  He stepped out of them with little prompting and was left wearing his underwear and socks.
 
Turning him I pushed him so that his front was against the wall before I slid down his body and then, using my teeth and hands, ripped the side of his briefs.  They'd ruined my clothes the first time, so it seemed fitting to me that Heero's underwear were sacrificed for the cause.  The underwear slid down his right leg and I pushed my hips against his ass as I stood up, bring his bared erection in complete contact with the cool wall in front of him.  There was a part of me that was a little shocked at what I was doing but I shoved it away.  I could deal with it all later when I was alone.  Right then I was going to enjoy being not alone.  If there was one thing I'd learned from the war it was how fleeting moments of happiness were and being connected to Heero on such a basic level was something I wanted to hang on to.  I sucked his ear into my mouth and was rewarded with a guttural groan that went straight to my cock.  "Don't move until I tell you to."  I barely recognized my own voice.
 
I stepped back long enough to remove my pants and underwear, not bothering with my shirt, and pulled Heero's legs further apart.  In one hand I held the tube that had been in Heero's front pant's pocket and it was exactly what I had thought it was.
 
Leaving Heero for a moment I walked back to Duo, whose eyes were wide and darting between Heero's backside and my slow approach.  Looking closer I noticed the white knuckled grip he had on the arms of the chair, it seemed to be the only thing keeping his hands from reaching for the painful-looking mound between his legs.
 
I walked behind the chair and spoke quietly to him in a way that ensured that my warm breath brushed his skin and made small whimpers escape him.  "You like what you see Duo?  You like seeing his tight, little ass exposed for all to see?  Do you want me to make love to him Duo?  Do you want me to mercilessly pound into him?  Making him moan and thrash against me, begging for more?"
 
Duo visibly shook and I change my plans yet again, I could always try my previous plan another night.  Duo was only supposed to watch but he was going to have a more active role then I'd planned on.
 
Tugging him to his feet I moved him to the bed and made him sit on the edge, still fully clothed.  Returning to Heero I took my time stretching him, finding myself talking the entire time in a voice I could barely call my own and using words that I'd had trouble saying not more than six hours earlier to Quatre.  A part of me wanted to shrink back from it but I'd promised to try not to hold back from them so I squashed it as best I could, I could deal with it later when I was alone.
 
When Heero was pushing himself back onto my fingers I roughly moved him to the bed and pushed him over Duo's lap so his bare ass was in the air.  Locking gazes with Duo I growled.  "Don't touch, he's mine."
 
Then in one motion I burried myself in Heero, feeling a smug satisfaction when both Heero and Duo cried out.  I moved slow at first, still talking.  "You like that don't you Heero?  You like being filled?  You want it rough don't you?"
 
It startled me a little when not only Heero but Duo as well started begging me to go harder and faster.  That's what I did, my hand grabbing Duo's braid as my other held onto Heero's hip tightly enough to leave a few marks.
 
Heero climaxed first, Duo seconds later and after a couple more wild thrusts I followed.
 
The two of them were little better than zombies as I somehow managed to help strip Duo and clean us all.  The moment they laid down they were asleep.  I should have joined them but now that it was over I couldn't push my thoughts away.  So instead of joining them I left the room and went to my own and changed into sweats and a t-shirt.  I had to be alone and I couldn't do it in the house so I went down the stairs and outside.  Once outside I shivered at the slight chill in the air and then I started to run.
 
****************************
 
I don't know how long I ran but by the time I'd finished my lungs burned and so did my muscles.  I tried to walk it out but the muscles in my legs were spasming so badly that they wouldn't hold me up.  I ended up flat on my back a few yards from Quatre's garage.
 
While I'd been running, I was able to avoid thinking by focusing on the act of running; surprisingly it could be extremely absorbing. That changed the second I stopped and I was flooded by embarrassment and shame.  What I'd done with Heero and Duo wasn't something I should be ashamed of, I knew that but it's a difficult thing to fight conditioning and rules that a society forces it's members to follow.  From the time you're a child you are taught that the beliefs and rules in the society you grow up in are the right ones.
 
It wasn't the sex, or the fact that it was with another of the same gender, it wasn't even that I'd had multiple partners... it was that I'd been told and taught, almost from birth, that my desires - the things I wanted didn't matter because they were at the bottom of a long list of concerns.  Things I was supposed to remember before I even considered what I wished.  If what I wanted could have a negative effect on anything on that list of concerns then what I wanted was ignored.  Shut away.
 
I'd managed to accept that I not only wanted but needed each of the others to give me what I required to be whole but I hadn't realized just how deep or strong those wants were.  The first time with Heero had been new and I hadn't allowed myself to actually let go.  I hadn't really let go with any of them yet and what had happened with Duo and Heero had only been the tip of the iceberg.  I'd be lying if I had said I wasn't afraid because I was terrified.  I was terrified of really getting to know who I was under it all.  I was scared that if I let out too much of what I wanted that I would scare them away.
 
Even without a psychiatrist I knew I was messed up.  All of us were because of the war but I was messed up from before that.  I couldn't help but wonder if it would have been different if my mother had survived childbirth, if my father hadn't died in the shuttle accident and if the Elders had allowed me to have 'real' relationships with other people.  The second I thought it though I discarded the thought.  It was done and what was done couldn't be undone.  That didn't mean I couldn't learn something knew but that would take time, patience and all the control I possessed.  I just hoped I was up to the challenge.
 
*********************************
 
I made sure to check what time it was when I actually went back into the house; 3:00am, there really was no point in trying to go to bed - not when I'd be wide awake in two hours.  Internal clocks weren't all that wonderful.
 
So I spent an hour on my katas, showered and at 4:30 I grabbed my sketchbook and pencils from where I had left them by the couch and re-entered the room where Duo and Heero slept.
 
Sitting against the far wall I absently started to sketch the two of them; the way they were tangled in with the sheet and themselves, the way Heero had Duo's braid possessively wrapped around his hand, and the way Duo had his arm hooked around Heero's waist, the slight differences in their coloring and the way sleep allowed them to look their own ages instead of world-weary.  Picking up my supplies and pad I left the room with a peculiar ache in my chest.  The ache stayed with me as I took my art supplies back to the room my things were in.  I began to repack my bag in an attempt to get everything to fit when my cell phone suddenly rang.  I wasn't psychic but I was a new-type and I knew that it wouldn't be good before I actually answered with my usual curt reply.  "Chang."
 
"Captain Chang, it's Agent Warren."
 
I felt myself stiffen immediately.  Nobody called me Captain Chang unless it was necessary for my command status to be acknowledged - it was just easier to deal with others at Preventers if they didn't have my rank shoved in their face constantly and Eric never referred to himself as Agent Warren unless he had to, like when he chastised new recruits or when he was involved in a serious and very official situation.
 
"What is it Agent Warren?"
 
"Preventer Headquarters was bombed sir."
 
I went completely still, "The details Agent."  My voice held as much emotion as ice.
 
"The explosion occurred at six o'clock pm, about half an hour ago.  Ten casualties, six severely injured and in critical condition as of the last report with about twenty with minor injuries.  Among the casulaties were Alisa and Agent Catonelli."
 
I felt an ache at the loss of Alisa, Sally's secretary had been a truly wonderful woman.  My mind reeled at the loss of Agent Catonelli because she had been one of our best field agents and the single mother of two.  If I thought that was the worst I was soon shocked to discover that it was worse, much worse.
 
"Among the severely injured were Captain Po, Captain Noin, Captain Zechs, your secretary Tabitha and Commander Une.  They were in a meeting at the time."
 
"That's all of the highest ranking officers in Preventers except..."
 
He finished the sentence for me "... you."
 
That meant that I was in charge of the entire Preventer Agency and I was in the wrong place.  "Alright.  Agent Warren I want you to gather the highest ranking agents we have together for a meeting in twenty minutes.  We'll hold a secure conference call from the shuttle the moment I've set a course back to Earth, I'll take one of the Speeder from the L4 branch, it'll cut the time nearly in half.  I want to know what happened, any and all leads and suspects, who's currently in the field, the level of danger those agents may be in, next of kin for the deceased, an update on those in critical condition, an outline of any current missions and investigations, and I want to have a meeting arrange with any politicians that raise concerns over this.  Oh, and have someone competent assigned to speak to the media and inform them that the incident is under investigation - someone who looks as if they're trustworthy and knowledgeable.  If the press likes the spokesperson we may have an easier time dealing with them."
 
"Understood sir."
 
We hung up because what more was there to say.  I grabbed my half-filled bag, threw in my wallet and cell phone and was out the door without hesitation.  I'd have to call the others from the shuttle.  They wouldn't be happy but they couldn't be involved in this.  Une trusted them but the terms of their status with the Preventers wasn't decided by Une, it was decided by the politicians.  The terms were clear, unless they joined Preventers full time they were on a need-to-know basis only and none of them wanted to be with the Preventer's on a permanent basis.  I also wanted to keep them as far from what was happening as possible, not just because I wished to keep them safe, after all they could take care of themselves, but because I didn't want them in a position where they felt compelled to do something they didn't want to out of some ill-place sense of obligation to me.