Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ First Times ❯ Nightmares ( Chapter 3 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 3:

Duo jerked awake several hours later as he sensed something wrong. Blinking in confusion, he tried to figure out what it was that had woken him up. It didn't take him long, soft moans were issuing forth from the Wing pilot's lips as he tossed on the single bed. Duo stood up and moved over to Heero's side. Sitting down on the edge of the bed, he ran his hand down Heero's cheek softly. He had never dared touch the other man this way before, but Duo couldn't bear to hear Heero suffering. "Shhhh Heero. It's all right. You're safe."

The words only made Heero moan more. Soft words escaped Heero's mouth as he tossed. "No!! No, please don't hurt him. Please. Oh god. Duo. I am so sorry. I couldn't protect you. Duo, please. Please don't leave me." The whispered words tapered off, but Heero didn't cease his tossing.

Duo gasped as Heero's words penetrated the fog that was surrounding his brain. He's having a nightmare. A nightmare that concerns me. Oh Heero, why didn't you tell me? Duo shook his head in confusion as he pulled the quaking pilot into his arms, mindful of Heero's hurt shoulder. "Shhhh Heero. I'm here. I won't leave you." Duo was grateful to feel that Heero was not as hot as before, but he didn't like these nightmares plaguing his partner. Cradling him closer, Duo placed a small kiss on Heero's brow.

At the slight touch, Heero's body relaxed and Duo smiled. He drifted off to sleep still holding onto the other boy. The next morning Duo woke up content; stretching his muscles, he felt his hand come into contact with something hard. Duo opened his violet eyes in confusion, before remembering that he had fallen asleep holding Heero the night before. Only now their roles were reversed.

Duo was spooned against Heero's side with Heero's arm slung over his waist. The other boy felt cool to the touch, but Duo wasn't taking any chances. Sitting up, he gently slid out from under Heero's arm and padded over to the dresser to get the capsules that Sally had left for Heero. Cracking one open, he headed back to Heero's side and poured the contents of the pill into his mouth, making sure the other boy swallowed it. Duo smiled softly before leaving the room to get breakfast, shutting the door securely behind him.

Heero groaned as he swam through the several layers of haze that was shrouding his mind. Reaching the top, he slowly opened his eyes but immediately reconsidered. Closing them again, he fought against the nauseous feeling that he had and gingerly sat up. Surveying the room, he was mildly disappointed to find himself alone. Looking at the clock he saw the red numbers blinking back at him. He stared hard at the clock trying to remember what time it should be but the clock still continued to mock him. It read almost noon surprising Heero. Have I really been out all day? he thought to himself. Attempting to stand, he was grateful to find that the nauseous feeling had passed. Carefully, he made his way to the doorway when another bout of dizziness swept over his form. Falling, he landed heavily against the doorway, slipping back into unconsciousness.

Duo who was just heading back to Heero's room, began to panic when he heard the soft thud and then was unable to open the door. Knowing that Heero was on the other side of the doorway, Duo bit his lip and decided he would try the window. He had it open the night before and maybe just maybe he had left it unlocked. Slipping outside, he raced around to the window and began pushing against it. It easily slid open at his touch. Sighing in relief, he slipped inside the room and closed the window behind him. He frowned when he saw Heero crumpled against the door. "Oh Heero. Why didn't you just stay in bed?" He picked up the other youth and carefully deposited him back into the bed.

Heero groaned as he opened his eyes again. "Duo?" he asked raspily.

Duo grinned down at him. "Yep, it's me. Hold on a sec and I will get you some water."

Heero nodded as Duo left the room only to return a moment later with a cool glass of water.

Duo tilted it up against Heero's lips and he drank greedily from the glass. After a second, Heero pushed the rest of the glass away and tried again to sit up. This time he succeeded without falling over. "Duo? How long have I been out?"

"Just a day, Heero."

Heero blinked up at the other boy. "A day?"

"Yeah."

Heero watched his partner for a moment wondering what Duo was neglecting to tell him when he glanced down at his wound. He could see neat precise stitches where the bullet wound had been. Raising his eyes questioning to Duo, he said "Sally was here?"

Duo nodded before pulling out a small pill bottle. "She left these for you to take. She said for you to take one a day for the next week. They should help with your fever and your insomnia."

Heero nodded, realizing what must have happened. Duo must have given him the pills which made his tired body sleep. "Thank you Duo."

Duo's head snapped up to gaze into Heero's cobalt eyes. "For wh-what?" he stuttered.

Heero let a small smile play across his lips. "For taking care of me. I don't know what is wrong with me."

Duo nodded. "It was nothing Heero. I mean I couldn't just let you suffer." Duo turned to go when he felt Heero grab his wrist. Looking downward, Duo gasped when he saw Heero's expression.

"It was to me, Duo. I have never had anyone care enough for me to want to take care of me just because I was me. I'm not the "Perfect Soldier" everyone thinks I am. I make mistakes Duo and last night just happened to be one of them. I am grateful that you were here to help."

Duo's eyes had been increasingly getting wider the longer Heero talked. He had never heard the other boy say that much before unless it concerned a mission. Speaking of missions . . . "Heero, did you get it?"

Heero nodded. "Yeah, it's in Wing."

Duo nodded thoughtfully, "I wonder what's so important about that laser?"

Heero shrugged. "Don't know. Dr. J just said that I had to get it and that I had to go alone. He never said what they were planning on doing with it."

Duo's eyes darkened dramatically. Those blasted scientists were playing around again. First it was Quatre and Trowa, now they were tormenting Heero. They will pay.

Heero noticed that Duo's violet eyes had darkened. "Duo? What is it?"

"It's nothing. Don't worry about it, kay? You just get some more sleep."

Heero nodded. Normally, he too would have reached the same conclusion that Duo had but the medication was muddling his thoughts and making him sleepy again. He reached out a hand to Duo when he felt himself slide into the welcoming darkness.