Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ How to Write a Fanfic Review, GW Style ❯ Chapter 5

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Note in the aftermath of the edited Yaoi 101:

I did intentionally put in the whole part about condoms and hemorrhoids to insert an aspect of education about safe sex, etc. etc. Mostly because it occurred to me that it wouldn't make sense for a teacher or counselor to not explain safe sex, regardless of their intentions. I mean sure it adds a whole new section where I had the chance to use a dildo… but realistically, it made sense to put that in.

I mean, yes, sure if you're in a dedicated relationship and blah blah - and it's discussed that you won't use condoms fine… but the safe sex thing is something that is only included in like 10% of all the fics I've read, and rarely is it ever anything discussed. It doesn't have to be a plot-downer, or anything. In most of the fics that more of us like, there's multiple partners involved, some who are unknown strangers and what not… and the threat of disease is very real, but never seems to trickle into the stories. I mean, maybe in Gundam Wing time they have a sure fire cure for AIDS and cancer… but unless it's stated in the fic somewhere, none of us can presume that - unless you're related to the original creator or something.

This isn't touched upon in my fic, but it's kind of on the same note, where people like to write about bondage and masochism. A lot of these people have no mention of "safe words" - which are words that are to be said by the submissive in case things go too far. Unless it is made clear that in the relationship there is no such compromise, such in the case of slavery etc. - sure, I suppose that can drop. It's a sad fact that there are a lot of stupid people out there, and there are people who might actually try and experiment based on the stuff they read. I'm not saying don't write about it, but at least do a little research. Bondage and sadomasochism isn't just about being tied up and whipping each other. It's as mental as it is a physical venture, but I'm no authority on it myself so I won't go into details.

Also, for those of you who don't know what a hemorrhoid is, as silly as it may sound, all those rape fics and hard sex fics never ever address them… even though they are a very real, very uncomfortable, and very hard to spell real occurrences that result from the tearing of anal tissue. For those of you who already knew what they were, you're probably wondering why the hell I mentioned them in the first place either because you think they're gross or that it was just an unnecessary call to 'urk.'

It is not limited to old guys who take a shit a little too hard once in a while - anyone can get one, and let me tell you… I have quite a few friends and family who can tell you that it isn't fun. For those of you who ever bleed 'back there,' the best thing to do is to place your body in a position where your lower torso is elevated so the blood won't clot in the cavity… which is basically what a hemorrhoid is, a blood clot. Another way to think of it is as a scab in your ass that never quite heals, and you can't do much about it once it gets there.


So make fun if you want, and write the graphics of rough sex afterwards, but my thing is that these things are possibly the most *obvious* of the after effects of anal rape and things… but have you ever seen anyone talk about them or mention them in fics? I mean, I would think it would be a big deal to have a side effect of - not only all the emotional trauma and angst - but the fact that you could potentially damage yourself further if you don't have enough fiber in your diet from then on. Maybe this is just a thing that I notice because there was a random flux where people I knew were getting them left and right - luckily I wasn't one of them.

These are just things I think more people should think about while they're reading or writing fiction.