Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Making Heero Human ❯ Chapter 7

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Cherry Blossom: Helloooo! It's one in the morning! Do you know where your children are?

Heero: She's cracked.

Cherry Blossom: ^__________^ Nope. Just blissfully lacking in sleep.

Duo: Um…does this mean that this chapter is fluffy mush?

Cherry Blossom: ...no. I want ACTION! STUFF BLOWING UP! YESSSS!!!!

Heero: ::beginnings of a smirk::

Duo: ::nervous:: Hee-chan?

Heero: Explosions I can do.

Cherry Blossom: Well by all means, blow stuff up. I'll get the popcorn.

Duo: ::brightens:: Popcorn? Yum. ^__^

Heero: ::weird freaky zero laughter:: Buahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

Cherry Blossom: O.o;;; Er, yeah. Let's just get going here.

Disclaimer: If I owned Gundam Wing I would have enough money to buy a decent word processor. Since I am presently typing this on the word processor from HELL this scenario is very improbable.

Warnings: Shounen ai!! Shounen ai shounen ai shounen ai shounen ai shounen aiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!! Have I made it clear to you people yet? MALE/MALE RELATIONSHIPS!!!! HOMOSEXUALS!!!! Got it? Good. So don't flame me because of it.

Making Heero Human - Part 7

"The God of Death has come to take you into Hell, baby! Whoo hoo!" Duo crowed as he sliced into yet another mobile suit, the crush of the metal complimenting the myriad explosions that rocked Deathscythe roughly. Intense but nothing he couldn't handle. After all, he was Shinigami.

"Eat Scythe, OZ scum!"

"Must you always be so loud Maxwell?" Wufei complained, not that far away, wrecking his own kind of havoc (or "justice" as he liked to call it) on OZ's mobile troops.

Duo swept the butt of his Thermal Scythe behind him just in time to intercept one particularly stupid soldier who thought he could sneak up on Duo's blind side.

'Huh, like I have a blind side.'

"Relax Wu-man. I'm just having a little fun, y'know," Duo pouted as he suddenly reversed thrust to avoid the flaming pile of wreckage that used to be a mobile suit, hurled his way by the Shenlon pilot. "Sheesh, what are ya trying to do, kill me?"

"If only," Wufei sighed as he speared into a suit with a "chink" sound not unlike the one a can opener makes. Yet more explosions followed.

"Pretty," observed Duo. "Almost makes me wish I had a camera."

"Just shut up and watch your six. There's two suits coming up on your right."

Duo rolled his eyes and gave a sharp, "Yes Mom," before firing some well-aimed missals at the incoming suits. "Hey Q, how you doing up there?"

"We're almost done our section. But Heavyarms is running out of bullets and we haven't heard from Heero in a while. His station wasn't supposed to be that heavily guarded. He should have checked in by now. I'm getting worried."

Quickly eliminating the last two mobile suits in that area, Wufei turned his Gundam in Quatre and Trowa's direction.

"I'll go back up Trowa," he said to Duo. "You find Heero and tell him to haul his ass out of there. These troops were spread far too thin for it to be accidental."

Duo scratched his head in puzzlement. "What are you saying Wufei? You think this was a decoy?"

Wufei's voice got two degrees colder. "That's exactly what I think. If I'm right, then all the troops that were supposed to be in this area have converged to Heero's sector."

"Fuck!" Duo swore as he turned his Gundam around. "That's more than fifty troops. Heero can't hold off that many on his own, no matter how perfect he thinks he is."

Duo pushed Deathscythe into high gear, searching his radar for Wing's signal. A signal to his far left flashed weakly.

'Gotcha'.

Speeding off in that direction, Duo had just one thought on his mind.

"You just fuckin' better be alive when I get there, Yuy. Or I'll have some issues to take up with you in Hell."

'Damn.'

Heero was in, as Duo was fond of putting it, deep shit. The base that was supposed to be 'minimally' guarded had turned out to have four times as many troops as any of the heaviest guarded areas. Although Wing hadn't taken any significant damage, Heero was running out of ammo and his rear thrusters were burning out. And those damned suits just kept on coming.

"Ah-!"

A group of missals caught Heero on his left flank and the explosion rocked Wing violently until it tipped, pushing Heero roughly against the cockpit window. Several systems alarms went off; warning Heero that Wing wasn't going to be able to handle another hit like that.

'Just…hold on…a little longer…'

< Let go…>

'No…that voice…'

< Let go, Heero. Sssurrender to the darknesss. I sssaid that I'd be back for you, and now…>

Heero drew in a sharp breath and closed his eyes. That voice, that hissing whisper…he knew it all too well. It was the same voice that haunted his dreams at night. Behind his eyelids, the demon grinned.

'No…'

Heero lifted his shaking hands from the controls and pressed them against his temples, as if trying to keep the contents of his head from spilling out.

< I sssaid that I would kill you Heero. And I alwaysss keep my word…>

"No!"

Inside his mind, Heero could hear the wailing start again: that terrible sound that he could never quite escape from, the sound of his own fear. This time it seemed to howl at him in wordless fury, battering painfully at the walls inside his head, putting pressure of his chest, suffocating…drowning…

'Monster!'

The voice chuckled darkly, the sound a rasping cough that grated painfully on Heero's ears.

< I am only what you make me, Heero. I am you…>

'No!'

< Yesss, I am the darknesss that livess inside your sssoul. Will you reject me now? I have been a part of you for ssso long, you have forgotten me. But now…>

Heero's hands clenched into fists and he trembled, repressed sobs choking in the back of his throat.

< Yesss…just let go. You've held the pain for ssso long now. It'sss time to eliminate your sssuffering. Look Heero, look upon your death. Sssoon you will feel no pain…>

"No…pain…"

Heero lifted his head and looked out the cockpit window at the approaching mobile suit. Its beam canon was pointed steadily at Wing, the hand moving toward the trigger as if in slow motion. Heero watched, fascinated.

< Yesss…accept it. Embrace it. It's time for you to say goodbye. It won't hurt. Just a little pinch, and then sweet…>

"Sweet…"

< The dark is where you belong, Heero…>

The wailing in Heero's head grew to an overwhelming crescendo, and then died, leaving behind a thick silence. Everything seemed to be in slow motion as the beam canon fired…

And Heero waited to welcome death.

"Heero! Can you hear me? Answer me, dammit!"

Duo's transmitter picked up nothing but static from the Gundam Wing and he pounded it with disgust.

"Stupid hunk of junk," he muttered. "Never works when I want it too."

Duo could see Heero in the midst of what looked to be about thirty OZ suits. Even though Heero's wasn't responding to radio call, it didn't seem like he'd picked up any serious damage. But that nasty looking beam canon in one of the opposing mobile suit's hands wasn't very comforting.

'Guess I'll just have to go down there and help him out a bit,' Duo thought, grinning as he began his descent.

His grin dropped, however, when a group of three or four missals hit Wing solidly on the left, throwing it to the ground.

"What a cheap shot!" Duo yelled, outraged. He targeted the suit that had fired the missals and quickly flew over to slice through it like it was tissue paper. He watched the remaining halves of the suit explode with satisfaction and turned to brag to Heero…and felt his heart jump into his throat. Wing was still on the ground, unmoving.

'What the hell? Why doesn't he get up? Wing wasn't hit that bad, he should be getting up, why doesn't he get up?'

"Heero!" he shouted. "C'mon, get up! We need to get outta here!"

No reply. Duo started towards the fallen pilot.

"Heero!"

The light in Wing's eyes went out, indicating total systems failure. Duo started to panic.

"Get UP man, c'mon! We've gotta go!"

Duo saw the OZ suit with the beam canon position itself to fire at the target. Still Wing did not move.

'Shit shit SHIT!'

"Heero for God's sake MOVE! You're gonna get fried if you don't move NOW! HEERO!"

The beam canon fired, sending a blast of energy heading straight for the unmoving Gundam.

'Oh fuck…'

Duo's thoughts seemed to scatter into tiny fragments, each of them screaming out Heero's name…

"NO!"

Duo did the only thing he could think of. He rammed his Deathscythe into Wing, turning his thrusters on full, hoping to push them far enough out of the blast site so they both wouldn't end up a crispy smear of goo on the battlefield.

The impact slammed his against the cockpit walls and for a second everything went blank. And then everything went white…

Heero's consciousness was flung wide, the white light enveloping him, taking him, crushing him. He heard a thousand voices scream his name, the demon called his name…

"Heero!"

No. This was not the demon's voice. The tone, although raw with fear and pain, did not hold the same terrible quality as the darkness in the other's voice. It was too pure, too full of emotion…familiar…a name…

'Duo.'

"Heero, fortheloveofGod, will you frikken answer?"

'He sounds worried,' Heero mused, feeling very detached from it all.

Why was Duo here? He wasn't supposed to be. Heero was dead and Duo was alive…

'Unless he really is Shinigami and this is Hell…'

No, that was ridiculous. Heero was probably just imagining his voice…

"Heero! HEERO!"'I'm sorry Duo. I never told you…you were my best friend…'

"Shit, Heero we have to leave NOW he's getting ready to fire again."

Heero frowned, trying to pull his scattered thoughts back together.

'Leave? But I can't leave. I'm dead. What is he talking about?'

"Heero COME ON! Oh hell…"

Ragged sobs filtered through the haze surrounding Heero. They sounded painful, heartbreaking. Heero wanted to comfort the one who was crying, but he couldn't get close…

"God please…Heero…"

'No. This isn't right. I've got to help him. I've got to go back and help Duo.'

Heero struggled against the weight pushing against him, struggled against the darkening edges of the white light. He flung his entire strength against the wall of his consciousness, trying to break through…

"Duo?"

"Heero? Oh God, Heero…are you okay?"

"Get back."

"Huh?"

"Get back. I'm going to fire."

Deathscythe released its hold on Wing and flung itself back a few meters. The OZ suit fired its beam canon once more.

"Heero!"

Faster than Duo would have imagined possible, Heero drew his own beam canon and fired, the two beams meeting each other and colliding in an awesome display of fireworks. The two beams battled for supremacy for a moment, but Heero's was far stronger and finally, his beam pushed back and slammed into the mobile suit, totally obliterating it in an instant.

Duo watched with wide eyes.

'Well, shit.'

"Duo! Heero!"

Quatre's voice cut through the sounds of destruction, insistent and worried.

"I hear ya Q. Let's get out of here. This mission was a bomb. Coming Heero?"

The pilot of Wing gave no reply but he followed the other pilots as they left the battlefield, weary and more than a little pissed. Or at least, Duo was.

'Why the hell didn't he answer me? Heero you and I are going to have a little talk when we get back to the safe house.'

Anyone who could have seen the way Duo's glittering amethyst eyes darkened would have shivered. As it was, Heero felt Wing's cockpit grow two degrees colder and he wondered briefly at it.

To Be Continued…

Duo: Oh, you're in deep shit now Hee-chan.

Heero: Shut up. I am NOT suicidal.

Duo: ::snorts:: Uh huh. And after trying to kill yourself so many times, we believe that.

Matteo: Hey, weren't you supposed to put a Duo comforting Heero mush scene in here somewhere?

Cherry Blossom: O.o

Heero: O.o

Duo: O.o

Matteo: What?

Cherry Blossom: Where have YOU been?

Matteo: Working on your vampire fic.

Cherry Blossom: Well I could have used some help over here you know.

Matteo: Hey, I'm only one muse. Besides, you've got the characters to help you.

Cherry Blossom: Oh yeah, they're SO helpful. (gag)

Duo: Hey…is she insulting us?

Heero: ::sigh::

Matteo: Where's the mush scene?

Cherry Blossom: Next chapter.

Matteo: You keep saying that, the reviewers are going to get pissed.

Cherry Blossom: Hey, I'm working as fast as I can here. I'll start the next chapter after lunch, kay?

Duo: Mmm…lunch…

Heero: Uh oh, now you've done it. You've said the word…

Duo: Must…eat…FOOD!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!!

Heero: Quick, grab him! He's headed towards the kitchen!

Cherry Blossom: Nooooooo! Not my Lune Moons!!!

Duo: ::chomp, gulp, chew:: Mmmm…

Cherry Blossom: >__<

Matteo: Cherry?

Cherry Blossom: Just review, dammit.