Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Making Heero Human ❯ Chapter 12

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Cherry Blossom: Hiyee everybody! Long time no see…

Angry Mob: Grrrrr….

Duo: Hmm…seems like the natives got a little restless while you were gone.

Angry Mob: ::advance threateningly::

Cherry Blossom: Uh…look! I'm really sorry! But I couldn't update, I was in Europe and AOL was being a bitch!

Angry Mob: Killlll youuuuu…

Matteo: I say we run.

Duo: Ditto.

Heero: ::yawns::

Cherry Blossom: Er…

Melpomene: Hey all! Whoa, what the hell is going on here?

Everyone: ::stare::

Duo: Who are you?

Melpomene: ::offended:: You mean you don't recognize me?

Duo: Ah…no…

Angry Mob: ::quickly losing interest:: DIE CHERRY BLOSSOM!!!

Cherry Blossom: Smeg.

Melpomene: All right, that's enough of that. ::snaps fingers, angry mob is now pacified with pocky::

Cherry Blossom: Heeeey! Only authoressess can produce pocky with a snap of the fingers. How'd you do that?

Melpomene: I'm a muse.

Matteo: I'm a muse and I don't have cool powers.

Melpomene: I'm a greek muse. You're a store-bought muse. There's a difference.

Matteo: ::fumes:: I am not a store-bought muse!!

Cherry Blossom: But I don't need another muse. One is plenty.

Melpomene: Honey you need an angst muse. This stuff you're producing now is WAY too sappy.

Everyone: ::stare::

Duo: Not enough angst?! Did you see the last chapter? DEAD PUPPY!!!

Malpomene: ::yawns:: It's been done. I'm talkin' real angst here.

Cherry Blossom: ::sigh:: Fine. Angst away. But if I get flames for this it's YOUR fault.

Matteo: ::still mad:: I am NOT a store-bought muse!!

Melpomene: Yeah, yeah. Whatever. ::smiles evilly:: Let's get to the fic.

Disclaimer: If I owned Gundam Wing I would have enough money to buy a decent word processor. Since I am presently typing this on the word processor from HELL this scenario is very improbable.

Warnings: Shounen ai!! Shounen ai shounen ai shounen ai shounen ai shounen aiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!! Have I made it clear to you people yet? MALE/MALE RELATIONSHIPS!!!! HOMOSEXUALS!!!! Got it? Good. So don't flame me because of it.

Making Heero Human - Part 10

Duo spun around to see a pair of extremely cold cobalt blue eyes glaring icily into his own. He paled visibly and swallowed hard to dispel the lump that had suddenly formed in his throat. Heero did not look happy.

"H-Heero! Didn't hear you come up buddy. Uh…something wrong?"

"What the hell do you think you're doing?"

Duo flinched. The words were like daggers, flung with tight, cold precision.

"N-nothing really…" He bit his lip and fiddled with his braid a bit, hoping that maybe Heero would just let this go.'Yeah, right. And Wufei's Santa Clause.'

Heero took a step closer, clenching his fists tightly. Duo took a step back and bumped into Wing. There was no where to go.

"You," Heero said. "Were inside my Gundam, inside my Gundam. Going through my cockpit recordings. Those were private! You had no right-"

Duo's eyes suddenly flashed in anger. "Now wait just a minute! I'm sorry I invaded your privacy and all but I was worried about you. In case you've forgotten you were about two seconds short of killing yourself yesterday and by what I've seen on these tapes you've got a problem. I know that you've been having nightmares lately and you haven't acted like yourself at all." Duo's voice softened a little. "I care about you Heero. I'm just trying to help."

Heero's glare never wavered. "No one ever asked you to care about me. I don't need a babysitter and I don't need a friend. What I need is for you to leave me alone."

Duo's mouth dropped open. "But Heero-"

"Quiet!" Heero was shouting now, his face livid with anger. "Just shut up for once in your life! Dammit I trusted you, Duo! I even…" Heero's voice trailed off and his fists unclenched slowly.

"You what, Heero?" Duo asked quietly, tears shimmering in his violet coloured eyes that pride refused to let fall.

Heero sighed and turned his head away from Duo, looking past him with a kind of resigned expression. "It was my own fault," he said softly, as if talking to himself. "I shouldn't have let you in. I shouldn't have let you…I knew this would happen. Dr J was right. Never get close to anyone. I really should have learned that by now…"

"Heero…" Duo's voice was strained and raw with his effort to hold back tears. He took a step towards Heero and reached out his hand. Heero smacked it away and walked out of the room, leaving Duo behind to stare after him in misery.'Dammit.'

Heero walked stiffly away from the hanger, eyes staring straight ahead, jaw clenched so tight his head ached. He got all the way outside before it hit him. He had nobody now. He was completely on his own. He had trusted Duo and Duo had betrayed him. The tenuous friendship that had been strung together so precariously was now dismantled, destroyed. Heero felt slightly sick.'If I had only kept my distance I wouldn't be feeling this way now. I used to be so good at burying my emotions. What happened?'

Heero laughed bitterly. Duo had happened. Duo had brought him out of his shell a tiny bit at a time without Heero noticing it. Duo had accessed his emotions in a way that no one else could. And now…'Now I feel empty, cold, despair. Now I feel pain. Now I feel…'

"I don't want to feel. I don't want this pain. I don't want…"'Lonely. I have nobody. Why couldn't he just let me die? It would be less painful than this. Why?'

Heero sank to the ground in despair and curled his knees up against his chest. The darkness seemed to be closing in on him…

Quatre watched his lover work with a kind of dazed fascination. He observed the quickness and dexterity of his hands, the precise movements, the intense look of concentration on his face as he briskly lifted and swept down the delicate silver blade again and again…

Finally the banged boy noticed that he had an audience.

"Uh, Quatre? You okay?"

The blond Arabian shook himself from his daze and beamed at his lover. "Wow Trowa, you're so good at that!"

Trowa blushed and said, "I'm only chopping vegetables."

Quatre uncurled himself from the chair he had positioned in exactly the right spot so he could observe his koibito, and came over to wrap his arms around Trowa's waist.

"I know," he chirped. "But everything you do seems special to me, Tro-koi."

Trowa's blush grew deeper at the endearment but he put down his knife on the counter and returned Quatre's embrace.

"You're the special one, Kat," Trowa whispered and bent his head down to capture his koi's lips with his own. But before he could reach his goal, Quatre's knees buckled and he fell to the floor, clutching at Trowa's sleeves feebly. Trowa caught him before his head smacked against the hard tile and set him down gently, cradling him in his arms like a child.

"Quatre! What happened?" he asked, concern flashing in the depths of his eyes.

Quatre put one hand to his forehead and looked at Trowa with a kind of bewildered torment.

"It's Heero. He's in so much pain…" The blond struggled to his feet with Trowa's help. "I have to go to him."

"Are you sure you're okay?" Trowa didn't like the pale and pinched expression on Quatre's face.

Quatre shook his head. "I'm fine. It was just the initial shock. All those emotions…and from Heero! It caught me off guard."

Trowa nodded and asked, "Do you want me to go with you?"

"I'd better talk to Heero alone. He's already feeling betrayed. I don't want him to feel threatened by both of us confronting him. I sensed another burst of emotional pain from Duo. Maybe you should find him and see if he's okay."

Trowa nodded once more and gave Quatre a quick kiss on the cheek before going off to find Duo. Quatre watched him go with a smile that quickly turned into a frown as he also set off in search for the source of such a strong wave of despair.'Oh Heero, I hope you're not doing anything stupid… '

Quatre found Heero in the room he shared with Duo, sitting on the floor with his head between his knees. He approached him cautiously.

"Heero?"

Liquid blue eyes blinked up at the blond empath and once again, Quatre felt that same wave of utter despair… He swayed on his feet a bit, and then got a hold of himself.

"What's wrong, Heero," he asked softly, kneeling down beside the boy.

"I…"

Heero's mouth opened and closed, as if he could not bear to form the words that would express his pain. His shoulders shook a bit and a shiver seemed to trace down his spine. He stared straight in front of him, eyes blank and frightened.

Quatre placed a small hand on his shoulder and winced when Heero pulled away.

"Please Heero…tell me what's bothering you. Maybe I can help."

Heero shook his head and continued to stare past Quatre. His hands clenched and unclenched, knuckles growing white with the pressure.

"I'm alone again," he murmured, voice muffled and soft. "He left me alone again."

Quatre's eyes narrowed, confused. "Who left you? You mean Duo?"

Heero shook his head again and continued to murmur, "Alone. And it's dark here. I don't like the dark. Please don't leave me alone…"

Heero whimpered and seemed to shrink in on himself, clutching at the air around him like one drowning. Quatre, frightened for his friend, wrapped his arms tightly around Heero's shoulders and began to rock him back and forth.

"It's all right Heero, you're not alone. You're not alone," he comforted.

Heero buried his face in Quatre's shirt and gave out a shuddering cry, letting his tears soak into the stiff fabric. Quatre held him close and continued to whisper reassurance in Heero's ear until the body wracking sobs subsided, leading Heero into an exhausted and troubled sleep.

Quatre watched Heero's shaky breathing and frowned. Something was seriously wrong with his friend but he didn't know how to help. Although he could feel the pain that plagued Heero, he didn't know where it was coming from or if he could do anything about it. Quatre sighed and gently pried Heero's fingers from their tight grip on Quatre's shirt.'I hope Trowa's having better luck with Duo.'

Trowa found Duo sitting underneath one of the large apple trees that bordered the steep hill the safe house was situated on. He didn't turn around as Trowa approached, but continued to sit with his knees drawn up against his chest in a childish pose. Every so often a gust of wind would stir the branches of the tree and Duo would shiver and pull the edges of his sleeves closer around him.

"Duo..."

No response. Trowa sighed and sat down beside him, wondering what he could possibly say to ease his friend's pain.

They sat in silence for awhile until…

"I've lost him."

Trowa stared at him, startled. "Duo?"

The braided boy let out a shaky breath and continued. "I've lost him, Trowa. We were just starting to connect. I was beginning to think that maybe…and then I did something totally stupid and I lost him. Maybe I never had him in the first place. Maybe it was hopeless from the start--"

"Don't," Trowa interrupted suddenly. "Don't start to doubt yourself now. I've seen the way you two act around each other. I've seen the bond between you as clear as day. Never give up on your love. It would be silly to quit now when you're so close…"

Duo looked up at the banged boy, mystified. "Trowa?"

"I almost lost Quatre once."

"You mean you…but how?"

"I doubted him, and myself. It was stupid and it almost cost us our relationship but we talked it over and he forgave me…"

Trowa stopped when he saw that Duo didn't believe him and started again. "Look, do you remember that time when Quatre was called home to deal with that fake betrothal a few months back?"

Duo's brow furrowed in thought. "Yeah, that girl's family had forged all those papers about how his Dad had arranged a marriage for him behind his back. But those signatures were proved phony as soon as Quatre found the real documentation for his Father's Will, right?"

"Yeah," Trowa nodded. "But at the time I didn't know that the documents were fake. I thought…" Trowa swallowed hard before continuing. "I thought he was leaving me."

Duo's mouth dropped open in surprise. "Aw, come on Trowa! That's ridiculous! You know that Quatre would never leave you for some girl he's never met. He loves you!"

Trowa glared at Duo for an instant before his eyes lowered to gaze at the hands he had folded in his lap. "I know that now," he said. "But back then…I was just so scared that he would leave me. He's got such a kind soul. If the documents were real he might have honored his father's wishes and married her. And besides, I'm not exactly the most worthy person of his affections."

Duo waved off Trowa's comments with one hand, making a disgusted face. "That's total crap and you know it Tro-man. You and Quatre were made for each other. You're just as worthy as anybody else."

A faint blush crossed Trowa's features before he continued. "Yeah well the night before he left I threatened to never speak to him again if he went back home."

"You didn't," Duo gasped.

Trowa bit his lip and nodded. "It was stupid of me, I know, but I couldn't think of anything else I could do to get him to stay. The whole thing escalated into this big fight and he left that same night in tears…"

"What did you end up doing?"

Trowa smiled faintly and said, "As soon as I realized what an ass I was being I booted it over to the airport, praying that his shuttle hadn't taken off yet."

"And…" Duo prodded.

"And his shuttle had taken off."

Duo's eyes grew to twice their regular size. Trowa laughed inwardly at his expression and hastily finished his story.

"But Quatre hadn't gotten on. He was waiting in the terminal with all of his bags, just standing there…" Trowa's voice got a little scratchy at this point and his eyes got a far away look in them. "He told me that he couldn't leave until he was sure that I didn't love him anymore. I told him that I could never stop loving him and that I was sorry and that I'd never act like such a fool again. He just smiled and kissed me and I knew that I was forgiven…"

"Aww," Duo commented, getting this sappy look on his face. "That's so sweet!"

"We ended up going back to his colony on L4 together," Trowa continued. "But if I hadn't been such an idiot about the whole situation we wouldn't have fought in the first place. I just needed to have more faith, in Quatre and in myself. Do you see what I'm saying Duo?"

Duo nodded and fiddled with the end of his braid. "Yeah…but how do I set things right with Heero?"

Trowa stood up and stretched out his legs. "I suggest that you tell him how you feel. And make sure he gets it. Don't worry, I'm sure everything will turn out all right for you two."

"Yeah," Duo agreed, his face brightening slightly. "I guess you're right."

Trowa turned to walk back to the house when Duo's voice stopped him.

"Hey Trowa?"

"Yes Duo?"

"Thanks man. You've really helped a lot."

The edges of Trowa's mouth turned up a bit in an almost imperceptible smile. "You're welcome. But you owe me one. I think this is the longest I've ever talked in my life!"

At this comment Duo laughed heartily, scaring the few birds that had gathered in the branches above his head. Trowa was glad to hear the sound of Duo's laughter again. He might not show it, but his friend's happiness meant a lot to him and Duo's ability to keep his sense of humor in times like these was a rare and precious thing.

"I'll see you later Duo," Trowa said as he left. But Duo wasn't listening. He was planning out in his head what to say to Heero.'Just you wait, Yuy. I'm gonna get you back if it's the last thing I do…and it might very well be the last thing I do if you still have your gun with you. Hmm…maybe I'd better hide your weapons first…'

To Be Continued....

Cherry Blossom: Wow this fic is getting WAY more angsty then I wanted it to be.

Matteo: And we all know who's fault that is.

Melpomene: ::glare:: And just what are you insinuating?

Matteo: I'm not insinuating. I'm accusing. You're too depressing!

Melpomene: I'm an angst muse you dingbat! That's what I do. I angst.

Matteo: Well you're screwing up my comedy!

Duo: And don't forget the mush.

Matteo and Mel: Shut up!

Heero: ::twitch::

Cherry Blossom: Uh oh…

Heero: What did you say to my Du-chan?

Matteo: We said "shut up".

Melpmene: Yeah!

Heero: ::starts to shake::

Duo: Er Heero? Hee-chan?

Cherry Blossom: Uh…I'm just gonna step over here for a minute and…beg people to review…yeah…

Heero: OMEO O KOROSUUUUU!!!!

Matteo and Mel: Eep! ::run::

Duo: Eheh heh…review?

Cherry Blossom: Please?