Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Overboard ❯ Chapter 13

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 13

Duo was here!

Almost.

In Good Forest, anyway, which was almost as good as, when you thought of all the other places that he might have been. China, for example. Or New Britain.

Heero’s heart sang as he sped along Good Forest Drive, at a speed guaranteed to make pieces fall off his truck. His toolbox rattled and thumped in the tray, but he ignored it. He could always buy another toolbox. He’d done it before.

Arriving in Good Forest, Heero realised that he had forgotten how much larger than Darke’s Cove it was. However, he eventually found Doc McGee’s house, only a hop skip and a jump from that nice kebab shop, and... Heero suppressed a shudder… Welfare. Welfare notwithstanding, it was a very convenient place to be, and a nice house, too, thought Heero, being disposed to like everything today, even the weather, because after all they really needed the rain. It had been so dry lately. And sleet was good too.

But now the rain had stopped.

Outside Doc McGee’s house at last, Heero loitered outside the picket gate, chewing his lip and staring in through the arched hedge, suddenly beset by doubt. Stalling for time, he inspected the house.

A nice house. Two-story, whitewashed Georgian, with mullioned windows. Fireplace in every bedroom.

Duo was in there. Somewhere.

Slowly, Heero slunk along the gravel path between the low box hedges, plagued by visions of Duo’s face as he’d last seen it. White, and hurt, and hating Heero. Gravel crunched beneath his feet and he flinched, reflexively looking around. What if Duo didn’t want to see him? What if he hated him?? What if he’d gone? What if…oh hell…

…what if Heero missed him because he was too slow, and Duo moved on again, without ever knowing that Heero loved him?

It was that thought, more than any other, which stiffened Heero’s spine outside the shiny, black, front door, and raised his hand to lift the brass, lion’s head knocker.

Without warning, the door flew open, and Heero lurched backwards off the circular porch in shock, stumbling around in the gravel.

“Ah hah… Heero Yuy. I was wondering when you’d show up.”

Peering around the door, Doc McGee cocked his head on one side and frowned down his long, pointed nose, looking for all the world like a predatory bird about to snap up a worm. Or, an Uncle, about to snap up the young man who had made his nephew so miserable.

Heero shifted nervously from foot to foot, suddenly feeling about five years old, and due for his triple antigen shot.

“Hullo Doctor McGee.” He said. “Is Duo in? It’s important.”

He stepped forward, about to rush through the door to Duo, only to find it blocked.

“Why?”

Taken aback, Heero stared wide-eyed at Doc McGee. Why indeed? There were so many things that he wanted to tell Duo, none of which he wished to reveal to Doc McGee, or anyone else for that matter. His conversation with Duo was none of Doc McGee’s business. He decided to tell part of the truth.

“It’s important. I have to give back his cross.” And he fumbled around in his shirt, producing Duo’s cross and holding it up for inspection, like a man warding off a vampire, of the long-proboscis-ed, mosquito-cross variety.

“Sorry. Not good enough.”

And the door slammed shut in Heero’s face.

“What…??? WAIT!!!” Heero hammered on the door. “Come back! I have to see Duo! It’s important!!”

The door opened again, and Doc McGee stood, peering at Heero, around the doorway, and down his pointy nose, and over his forbiddingly crossed arms.

This time, all his senses alert, Heero was conscious of the odour of exotic spices wafting from the darkly cavernous hallway behind Doc McGee. Tribal chanting, that lifted his brows in curiosity.

Nervously, he eyed Old Doc, who seemed so much more intimidating when he was Duo’s Godfather. What would he think about his godson having a boy friend? For that matter, what would his godson think about having a boyfriend? Cautiously he fumbled for the magic words that might summon Duo.

“I have to see him.” He hesitated. “I…” Was it really so bad to love another man? Love was love after all. “I…”

Doc McGee stared implacably down his pointed nose, hand threateningly on the door. Offended, Heero glared back, feeling trapped.

Distantly he seemed to hear voices from long ago … pretty-boy… faggot

“…I need to tell him that I’m sorry. For tricking him. That we miss him.”

“Try again!”

And the door slammed.

Gaah. Heero was really starting to hate that brass lion. It had an irritatingly smug look. He attempted to smash its face in with its knocker.

Nothing happened.

This time, the shiny, black door stayed closed.

After ten minutes of emphatically closed door, Heero sat down on the porch step, folding his arms over his bent knees. He was not giving up. Sooner or later Doc McGee had to come out of the house.

A fat raindrop fell from the eaves and slid down the back of his neck.

Ten more minutes, and he rested his cheek on his folded arms, closing his eyes. He couldn’t give up. He had to find Duo. Distantly, he thought that he heard a rustling in the hedge, and the patter of tiny hooves, but he didn’t bother to look. He felt very tired.

Sitting, he dreamed of Duo. Not the frantically furious Duo of their last meeting, but the warm, loving, mischievous one, who had insinuated himself into the heart of Heero’s family, in the same way that he always hogged the middle of the futon. His friend. Even if Duo never loved him back, maybe things would be all right if at least they could be friends. If they couldn’t, then maybe things would never be all right again.

After some unknowable length of time, Heero became aware that a warm hint of cumin and coconut had wrapped him around, and lapped about his feet. The black door had opened. For a moment, he sat unmoving, and then, tiredly, he lifted his head, looking out over the small sea of hedges and gravel, his voice thick. “Please. Please tell me where he is. I have to tell him that I love him. I miss him so much.”

“GERALD!!!!”

It was a voice like the tolling of an exotic bell, which was definitely not Doc McGee’s. Startled, Heero turned, to see a very young and extremely beautiful island girl, with a cloud of candyfloss hair, a cigar through the lobe of one ear, and designer jeans. She stared back thoughtfully, tapping her small, brown foot in annoyance.

Like a jack-in-a-box, Doc McGee’s head popped up beside hers, and inspected Heero’s flushed, damp face over her shoulder. Nodded grudgingly.

“He’s at The Plaza,” he said.

And disappeared again. Startled, Heero stared wide-eyed at his dusky, guardian angel, who stared solemnly back. And winked. Turned away, then glanced fleetingly back over her shoulder. “Tupac,” she offered. The door closed again.

Released from the step, Heero Yuy shot from the house like a bullet from a gun, running towards The Plaza. Ran and ran. Ran like the wind. Like a gazelle. As if he were a yacht with spinnaker set, running before a spanking breeze. Ran for his life to The Plaza as if his feet had wings, leaping gutters, vaulting over dogs, and dodging around pedestrians.

And as he ran, he thought that he heard a voice, drifting jubilantly down to him from an upstairs window.

“And you’d better not upset him again Heero Yuy or I’m putting those slug gun pellets right back where I found them!!!”



+++



Duo Maxwell wandered aimlessly through the shoals of The Plaza, a boat in search of a mooring.

Drifted into a variety store, picking things up and putting them down. Wandered out again, not remembering a thing that he’d seen.

Listened to a terrifyingly over-groomed sales lady with a microphone, in the centre of The Plaza, extolling the virtues of turkey sausage. Spat turkey sausage quietly into a planter box, and meandered on.

Anchored in the Art Suppliers for a while, but then slotted the sable brushes back into their pigeonhole and drifted out. No point buying much stuff before he had a place to stash it. And if he were going to start painting seriously again, he’d need to think about a proper studio or something. It was just an excuse really. Any excuse to get out of the house. While he was walking around and doing stuff, talking to people and dodging cars, then he wasn’t thinking about Heero. And he didn’t want to think about Heero.

Heero had lied and lied and lied to him. Tightly, Duo clung to that thought, losing himself in his anger, because if he thought about anything else, he would probably cry, and be damned if he was going to freaking well cry because Heero freaking Yuy didn’t love him after all. Heero had had no right. Had just been stringing Duo along when all the time he was having it off with Relena. Had probably been laughing it up with her the whole time.

But he was not going to think about Heero.

Over in the corner of The Plaza, there was a disturbance, as somebody skidded to a halt beside the kebab shop and looked around frantically, sweeping their messy brown hair out of their eyes.

Their blue eyes.

Shit. That was Heero.

Caught in the searchlight of those blue, blue eyes, Duo Maxwell panicked, and jerked to a halt as if he’d run aground. Frantically, he looked for an escape route, but it was too late.

“Duo…” Gasping in front of him, Heero bent double over his knees, heaving for breath. Stood up at last, flushed and panting, a little bead of sweat trickling into his eye. “Duo I…”

Duo punched him.



+++



“What the hell was that for???”

Picking himself up off the ground, Heero knew very well what it was for, but he was angry. He’d just had a very unnerving time with Duo’s godfather. See-sawed from happiness to misery and back again, in the space of an hour, and had his deepest feelings dragged out and publicly questioned. A terrifying, infuriating experience, for someone as private as Heero Yuy. So he was angry. He’d moved heaven and earth to find Duo, and Duo hadn’t even let him say anything. Gingerly, he felt his aching jaw, waggling it from side to side, and probing at the inside of his cheek with his tongue.

“You deserved it you prick!!!” Duo glared at Heero, shaking his sore hand, then fisting both on his hips.

Heero glared back.

“I came to say sorry!!! And to give you your cross! And then you punch me!!!” Belatedly, he ripped the chain from around his neck and thrust it at Duo.

“You freaking well lied to me!” From the long list of wrongs that Heero had done to him, Duo chose the least. The others were too painful to talk about. Bad enough having a broken heart, without having Heero apologise for it, and, possibly, offer to buy him a drink for old times sake, as if that would make it better somehow. Nothing could make it better. “I trusted you and you betrayed me! Sorry just doesn’t cut it!”

“I had to!! Welfare were going to take the boys if I didn’t have a partner!”

“So that just makes it all right does it? Sure thing Yuy! I’ll just stick around, waiting for the next time, that you wanna betray me because you don’t have a choice!” Duo’s voice dripped sarcasm.

“NO!” Heero stared at him, aghast. This was all wrong. He didn’t want to fight with Duo. He wanted him to come home. “No. Of course it isn’t all right. I did a terrible thing Duo. To you. To all of us,” he added bitterly, “If it’s any consolation, it hurt us just as badly. The boys really miss you.”

Shit. Duo was trying not to think about the boys. “Yeah,” he said softly, choking down his anger. “I miss them too. Are they okay?”

“No,” Heero said baldly. “They want you to come home. We all do. We miss you Duo.”

Duo eyed Heero under his bangs, not ready to deal with that yet.

“Welfare were really going to take them?”

“Yes!!” Heero eyed him in frustration. Duo knew that. Why wouldn’t he believe him? If he ever got out of this he was never, ever, going to lie to Duo again.

“Oh…well okay. I can understand why you were desperate then. But…you really hurt me Heero!” Duo took a hasty step away, then turned back again, his voice muffled. “Can you imagine how it felt to know that everything I’d believed in was a lie? The boys…my whole life! Everything!! I mean…you even convinced me that I was gay Heero!! And now...” He gritted his teeth and looked away, flushing darkly.

Heero Yuy felt a tiny seed of hope take root, and his heart raced.

“Duo…Duo it wasn’t all a lie. Not all of it. At least…it started out a lie…” Heero had promised himself never to lie to Duo again, and he forced himself, now, to be scrupulously honest. “…but it changed! We all want it to be real! Please Duo…please come home. We miss you.” He swallowed hard, and forced a smile, trying for lightness. “Tyler can’t get Fez out from under the fridge!”

“Oh.” Said Duo. “I see.” Turning away, he examined a boot from a tub of children’s shoes. “The boys miss me so you want me back.”

“NO! I mean…” Heero clenched his fists tightly. Duo obviously didn’t see at all. Was being deliberately obtuse. “We all miss you.”

“Oh. Well that’s what it sounded like.” Cody needed boots. Duo started turning over shoes, looking for a pair in his size, ignoring the fact that he wasn’t going to be seeing Cody, or any of the boys, again.

“Duo no!”

Heero snatched the shoe from Duo’s hand and grabbed his shoulders, turning him firmly around to face him, his blue eyes imploring.

I miss you. I want you to come home.”

“I don’t know…”

Heero tightened his fingers on Duo’s shoulders and gave him a little shake, willing him to believe. “Duo…I always felt something for you. That bit was never a lie. Right from the time you shoved me overboard. I always wanted it to be real. I… I probably wouldn’t have lied in the first place if I hadn’t. And now…now I… Please come home. I…Duo…” He took a huge breath, to settle the butterflies taking flight in his stomach. “I love you Duo.”

Duo stared at him, violet eyes huge in his pale face. He clung to the shoe bin as if it was the only thing holding his head above water. His voice was so soft that Heero had to strain to hear him over the noisy hum of The Plaza. The children busking with recorders in the corner, who were playing Edelweiss again.

“And…and…I love you. Loved you…”

Heero’s heart started hammering as if it would beat its way out of his chest. Eyes glowing, his fingers tightened to pull Duo closer, but Duo lifted a hand, holding him back.

“… I loved you Heero and you took it all away. You gave me a family, and then when it suited you, you just snatched it back from me. All gone! Just like before.”

Heero was confused. Before? What did Duo mean…before?

“I missed the boys. I missed you!!” Duo’s voice shook and he swiped at his eyes angrily. “What if it happens again?? What if you’re lying to me again? I couldn’t stand it Heero.”

“But I love you! It’s the truth! I promise I won’t leave you!” Heero stared at him desperately. This couldn’t be happening. A determined women, with a pram and a toddler in tow, pushed past him as she raked through the discounted shoes, and he was edged aside, his hands slipping from Duo’s arms.

The huge violet eyes were like bruises in Duo’s pale face. “But can I believe you Heero? How can I be sure that you really do love me??”

Desperately, Heero searched for the words that would convince Duo, the blood pounding in his ears. He couldn’t think. There was noise everywhere. Children crying. Conversation shouted over counter and table. A roving microphone sales woman had set up outside the shoe store, and was loudly calling out Winter specials. Boots, 15% off.

A finger feathered across Heero’s cheek. “I’m sorry Heero” And Duo slipped away, ducking around a planter box and heading for the other side of the plaza.



+++



Duo darted through The Plaza, lean and sinuous as a fish, dodging the steady streams of shoppers, braid twitching behind him. Panic-stricken, Heero watching him go, searching desperately for a way to bring him back. Another 50 paces and he’d be gone. He’d run off somewhere, and hide, and Heero would never find him again. 40 paces…thirty… This was really it. Duo was going. Forever.

If only there was some way to prove to Duo that he really meant it. That he loved him, more than anyone, or anything. Some sacrifice he could make. Some dragon he could slay…

And suddenly, Heero knew what to do.

“Give me that! Quick! Please!! It’s important!” Snatching the microphone from the surprised sales woman, he leapt up onto a large, rectangular planter box, straddling a miniature box topiary. Some sort of bird. A swan, maybe.

“DU…eeeeeeeeeeee” The microphone squealed with feedback, and Heero snatched it from his lips. Stared nervously out across a sea of curious faces, and wiped sweaty palms on his trousers, switching the microphone from hand to hand. Oh well. At least he had everyone’s attention. So long as he had Duo’s. He searched quickly for a fast-moving braid, last seen, heading for parts unknown.

“DUO!!! DUO MAXWELL!!! WAIT!!!” Like a foghorn, his voice rang out across The Plaza, and he winced painfully, but forced himself to stand straight and tall.

Slowly, Duo came to a halt, and turned, staring back at him.

Heero’s heart raced. Determinedly, he hefted the microphone, but then looked out across the sea of curious faces, and quailed. Squaring his shoulders he wallowed hard. He had to do it! This was his last chance.

“I LOVE YOU!”

Everywhere, people were turning to stare at him, faces twisted in curiosity. Laughter. Some outright disgust. A small boy laughed and pointed. Tried to climb onto another planter box and his mother looked shocked and tugged at his hand with a look of annoyance.

And suddenly, Heero didn’t care any more. Who the hell cared what they thought anyway? They weren’t perfect either. These were the same idiots who frowned on breastfeeding in a public place. How dared they tell him whom to love! It was Duo who mattered. Only Duo. Suddenly he felt incredibly light. Weightless.

Across the other side of the plaza, a familiar grin slowly dawned on Duo’s face, and Heero heart took wing. He flung his arms wide. Sank to one knee on the unfortunate swan’s head and grinned back.

“DUO MAXWELL!” He bellowed joyfully. “YOU GET BACK HERE! DON’T YOU DARE LEAVE ME AGAIN! I LOVE YOU, YOU IDIOT!”

Heero Yuy…” Suddenly Duo was in front of him, on the planter box, staring at him quizzically. “What are you doing? Everybody’s looking. They can hear you. They’ll all know you’re gay.” A sweeping gesture of his hand took in the little boy and his irate mother, the microphone lady, The Plaza, the kebab shop, the visibly-amused Abdul, who was overing near the entrance, and, probably, Almighty God. The other hand hovered near Heero’s.

FUCK THEM!!! I L…” Oops. Damn. Heero’s cheeks burned.

Duo’s lips twitched. Deliberately, he rested his hand over Heero’s, and switched the microphone off. Took it from him, and placed it on the ground, next to the decapitated swan. The microphone lady immediately snatched it back, glaring at them both, but Duo ignored her. Kept hold of Heero’s hand, fingers curling warmly around his.

“Hmm? You were saying?”

“I don’t care what everyone thinks!! What business is it of anybody else if I love you? If I want to kiss you right here then why the heck shouldn’t I?!”

“Oh…”

The bitter pungency of mutilated box was all around them, until suddenly it was eclipsed by the delicious fragrance of Duo’s hair, coming closer and closer, until suddenly Heero couldn’t smell box at all.

Duo’s voice faltered, his eyes very bright. “…and… and do you?”

Heero’s heart was pounding so hard that he could hardly think. He nodded mutely, completely unable to speak. Captured by Duo’s eyes, by Duo’s lips…

“Well then…”

…and Duo smiled mistily at him…

“…get on with it Yuy!!!”

…and tugged insistently on Heero’s captive hand, and with a strangled noise, Heero launched himself at Duo, almost knocking him off the planter, wrapping his arms around him in a stranglehold, and burying his face in the curve of Duo’s neck. Refused to surface, just shook his head jerkily, burrowing deeper, and hugging him even tighter, shaking.

Heero Yuy was crying.

Wordlessly, Duo turned his own face into the soft, dark hair, and held Heero tightly, kissing his hair, ear, neck, and any other part that he could reach, over and over again. Stroking his back, and running his fingers up into his silky hair.

And gradually Heero relaxed against him, his trembling stilled. Lips moving softly against Duo’s neck, breathing a shaky whisper against the damp skin. “Oh God! Duo! Oh God oh God…Duo…I love you so much! Don’t ever leave me again!”

Duo shook his head, blind against Heero’s hair, holding him tighter.

“Oh Duo…”

Wiping his eyes surreptitiously on Duo’s shirt, at last Heero drew back, just far enough to rest his forehead against Duo’s, blinking. Drew his hands up to cup Duo’s cheeks, and gave him a shaky smile.

Duo cupped Heero’s hands with his own. Attempted a cheeky grin, which wobbled alarmingly.

“Now about that kiss…”



+++



Gradually, Heero became aware of a prodding sensation on his right hip, slowly becoming more insistent. Cracked open his eyelids, just enough to glance sideways, unable to muster a glare.

“Nice to see you so happy my dears but the Council won’t be too pleased with you playing in their planter boxes.”

He blinked, dragging his lips from Duo’s. A tiny, silver-haired, old lady peered happily up at him through her glasses.

Mrs Noventa, poking him with her walking stick.

“There’s a City Ordinance you know dear.” She beamed up at him, lowering her voice confidentially. “No skateboarding either. It’s most unfair. Nothing about kissing though.” She winked.

Heero blinked. Stared down at Mrs Noventa. Giddy with happiness, Duo started to laugh.

Catching Heero’s hand, he swung their arms, like a child, still laughing, then held tight and let the momentum carry them, leaping, high above the earth. Planted a kiss on Mrs Noventa’s velvet cheek, then another on Heero’s lips, just to be fair. Broke free at last, pink-cheeked and breathless, his heart singing.

“C’mon Sunshine. Let’s clear out before the Garden Police catch us, and you can apologise to me some more.” He eyed Heero thoughtfully. “Forever if you like.”

“Hm. Okay.”

Mission accepted.



+++



Hand in hand, they fled The Plaza then, Duo dragging Heero quickly out of sight, into a modern café on the corner. They tumbled into corner seats by a large picture window, almost hidden behind an enormous, potted palm. Ordered coffee. And cakes. Many cakes.

Duo! Don’t be so greedy…” Oops. Had he really said that? It had slipped out so easily, as if Duo had never left. Biting his lip, Heero turned red with mortification, but Duo just laughed giddily, still fizzing with delight.

“Hey! Butt out Mr My Body Is A Temple! I’m starving! I haven’t had lunch yet!” Or breakfast. Or much dinner the night before. He hadn’t been hungry. Now, suddenly, he was ravenous. “Hey! They do pizza here. Wanna split a pizza?” He grinned happily at Heero’s reply, then fell silent, staring at Heero.

Damn Heero…”

Heero smirked. Duo was looking at him as if he was lunch.

Duo pounced. Cupped Heero’s face and dragged him half across the table. “God!! I missed you so freaking much!!!” Kissed him to within an inch of his life.

“Oh…” Breathlessly, Duo tore himself away, scanning Heero’s face anxiously. “Is that okay? I mean…” He glanced out the window. “There’re lots of people around…”

Heero couldn’t care less. Had been permanently inoculated against embarrassment by the terrifying act of declaring himself to his one true love with a loudhailer. Probably a good thing, now that Duo was part of his life. He hoped so. He really hoped so. For answer, he hooked his hand around Duo’s neck and dragged him back. Kissed him, with all of his wanting and heartache and sleepless nights.

I was so afraid…

Releasing Duo at last, Heero stared down at the table cloth, tracing paths through some spilled sugar with a fingertip. “…afraid that you hated me.” He glanced up, through a protective screen of brown hair. “I wouldn’t blame you if you did.”

“Idiot!!” Duo gathered Heero’s hands between his cupped palms and shook them emphatically. “I could never hate you. Pissed off though…” He frowned at Heero. “…now that’s another story. Lie to me again and I’ll have your freaking balls Yuy. I mean it!”

Eyeing his expression warily, Heero was in no doubt that he meant it. Reflexively crossed his legs.

“I’m sorry.” Contritely, he pressed a kiss to their clasped hands, then rested his forehead on them, feeling days of tension drain from his shoulders. “So sorry. I never meant it to go that far. It was just supposed to be a week, but then Welfare dropped that probation order on us and things just snowballed from there. And then…well… I was so scared to tell you…so scared that you’d leave…” He darted a fleeting, sideways glance up at Duo, then closed his eyes, sighing and nuzzling Duo’s hand with his cheek. “…I couldn’t bear to let you go.”

“That’ll do it for me.” Duo’s voice was a husky murmur as he turned his hand over, to cup Heero’s cheek with his palm. Slid his fingers into his hair and urged him up for a tender kiss. Explored his mouth with warm, soft lips, that tasted of coffee and cinnamon, and they were quiet for a long time.

“Shit!” Duo forced a shaky chuckle. “I was dead sure that you loved Relena. Dumb huh?” He dared a little glance across at Heero.

“Yes.” Heero said baldly, terrifying Duo for an instant with his precise English. “It is dumb. I don’t love Relena. Besides. I think that she’s with Walker,” he added smugly, thinking of Walker trailing around behind Relena, getting snake-bitten, and rescuing her out of trees, and from irate pet-owners.

“Oh.” Duo relaxed slightly. He knew that Ed was a good bloke. He’d always liked him. Then, struck by a sudden thought, he stiffened, and sat up nervously.

“So…are you okay with that Heero?”

Heero stared at him dumbfounded. “What?!” Thumped their joined hands on the table, and then his head, in time with each word. “Why why why why why do you always think that I like Relena?”

“Because she follows you around like a puppy dude!”

“I already have one dog!” Heero was terse. This idiocy had gone on long enough. “It’s a pain in the butt! I don’t need another one! I need a boyfriend!!!” He scowled formidably at Duo, who grinned imperviously, giddy with relief. “And that would be you!!!”

“She’s a very nice girl though,” he added, suspecting that he had just been extremely rude to Relena, but not caring much. “And a really good friend. She stuck by me back in high school when…well…” He took an enormous breath and glanced up, meeting concerned violet eyes. The first step in sharing himself with Duo. “…you’ve met Alex and Mueller… It was after basketball practice…”



+++



Staring intently out of the window, Heero nursed his teacup, not drinking, the clear liquid shivering in his hand. Slopping over into the saucer, amber on white.

Watching him, Duo thought about Alex, and Mueller, and the hell that had been Darke’s Cove High School. It explained a heck of a lot about Heero Yuy. No wonder Heero didn’t trust anyone. Duo’s heart ached for that younger Heero. So alone… Just like him…

“You know…” He paused, waiting for Heero to turn his head. “I didn’t really thank you properly for my cross back there. It means a heck of a lot to me. It was my Mum’s you know.”

Holding the cross in the palm of his hand, he scrutinised it, as if seeing it for the first time. Turned it over and traced the initials engraved there with a gentle finger. “She gave it to me in the hospital. Before she…you know.” Biting his lip, he stared hard at his tea, stirring . Blinked, and turned back to Heero. “They died in a plane crash.”

Jolted from his memories, Heero reached across the table and took his hand, a gentle pressure of fingers, his heart suddenly too full for speech. This was what he wanted more than anything. What he ached for. All of Duo. The real Duo Maxwell. “My brother Odin and his wife too,” he offered softly. “I was fifteen…”



+++



The table was littered with cups and glasses; the spilled sugar decorated in swirling lines and whorls, that said DM L HY if you squinted from just the right angle, and chose to believe. Heero did.

The waitress was re-laying the tables for dinner, circling closer and closer, but Heero was strangely reluctant to move. Wanted to take Duo home, to move the chest of drawers, and Duo, into his bedroom, and not come out for a very long time, but at the same time wanted this afternoon to never end. This long skein of cinnamon and coffee flavoured moments. This, more than anything that had gone before, was the time that he would always remember as being when he truly became Duo’s, and Duo became his, like a tapestry being woven together.

Duo had dragged his chair around beside Heero’s, into the patchy shelter of the palm tree. Had tangled his legs and feet and arms so thoroughly with Heero’s that Heero didn’t know how he was still managing to sit in his own chair. Not that he minded.

Duo grinned up at him, from Heero’s shoulder.

“You know Heero… it’s funny. It’s kinda like we’ve just met…finding out all this stuff about you….and me telling you things… In a coffee shop for crissakes! I feel like it’s a first date or something.”

“Mmm…” Heero’s agreement was a soft exhalation of breath against Duo’s ear, making him tingle with pleasure.

“It’s like…mmmmmm…” Distracted by Heero’s tongue, it took him a moment to remember what he was about to say. He chuckled, the vibration shivering down Heero’s body to his toes. “… oh. Yeah. We got it all backwards. First we moved in together…Now we’re dating.”

It was exactly like a first date. Or, better yet. A third date. Delicious, slowly-building anticipation filling him from his head to his toes.

By unspoken agreement, they had dawdled. And dallied chastely amongst the palm leaves. Almost chastely. Every touch, an aching promise of tidal waves to come.

Abruptly, Duo sat up. “S’pose we should introduce ourselves then!” Thrust his hand out at Heero. “Duo Maxwell. And I’m pleased to meet you!”

Obediently, Heero shook. “Heero Yuy.” His lips quirked, as he mimicked Duo’s tone. “And you have a great ass! Now get back here!” And he dragged Duo back to his place against his side.

Duo laughed out loud. “Yeah…well that’d work!” Sighed happily and nuzzled his silky head against Heero’s cheek.

Hmm. Would it though? Heero stared thoughtfully at their entwined hands. He suspected not. Duo would have laughed…he would have said hn… and then they would have gone their separate ways. It didn’t bear thinking about. Maybe backwards was better. Like being thrown overboard…sink, or swim. Did the sirens ever rescue shipwrecked sailors? Fall in love and carry them to shore, and drag them with them out into the world?

“Well…now-w-w...” Duo was eyeing him with an expression that made the warmth in the pit of his stomach coil suddenly tighter. “…I think that it’s time for you to take me home from our date babe. And kiss me at the door.”

“Which door?” Heero whispered softly, forgetting fate, forgetting sirens, hardly able to think. Completely unable to breathe.

“Our bedroom door of course. Although…” Head tilted to one side, Duo inspected him, his own mischievous siren, one finger twirling a lock of Heero’s hair. Drifting down Heero’s cheek. “I think you’re missing something.”

“Oh…wh…” The thought of that door, of a bedroom door that was our door, was making Heero’s knees shake. He cleared his throat. Swallowed hard and tried again. “What?”

“This.”

And pulling his cross back out of his shirt, Duo slipped the chain over Heero’s head.

“There. That’s better. Although…I was thinking…” He traced the cross with a thoughtful finger, his palm coming to rest over Heero’s heart. “…maybe we could get it engraved. Start a family tradition you know?”

Wide-eyed, Heero stared at him. Heard the question in his voice and could only nod fervently, swallowing hard, overwhelmed by the promise of those countless tomorrows that went to make up a tradition. A family tradition. His family.

But…Duo’s cross

His mother’s cross.

The cross that he nearly drowned for.

“But…but Duo…” Blinking hard, he stared down at the precious thing on his chest, as if he’d never seen it before. A cross. Symbolic of hope, and forgiveness. New beginnings. And love. Lots and lots of love. He looked up at Duo, only able to say the least of the myriad things in his heart.

“I don’t have anything for you.”

“That’s okay.” Smiling, Duo entangled their fingers, swinging Heero’s hand up to his lips and nibbling gently. Grinned happily around his knuckle “You can buy me a ring dude.”

And clutching tightly to Duo’s hand, daring the world to say anything, Heero Yuy did just that.