Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Picture ❯ Chapter 9

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 9

All Duo's instincts told him to race back to the safety of Quatre and NightWind Hall as soon as he could, but his conscience told him he would never have a batter chance to find the packet that would free Milliardo. After all, he owed it to Milliardo to keep up his end of the bargain.

When they returned to the house, Duo was more than embarrassed to find both Juanita and Morgana up and dressed. He knew that he must look like a gypsy and did not miss Juanita's amusement. Nor did he miss the fact that Heero had no intention of explaining anything. Heero meant for his mother and sister to think exactly what they were thinking.

Duo excused himself quickly and went to his room. He cooled his heated face and brushed the tangles from his hair. His nerves made him jump when he heard a soft knock at the door.

"Who is it?"

"It's Morgana, Duo. May I come in?"

"Of course," Duo replied, breathing a sigh of relief.

Morgana came inside and closed the door behind her, then crossed the room to sit on the edge of the bed. She watched as Duo continued with his hair.

"Duo, my son says you might be visiting these few days, then return to London with us."

"He has invited me to stay. I agreed to go to London when you leave in a few days, but I think I might stay just today and then go home in the morning. After all, much as I enjoy your hospitality, I must pack and make preparations. Of course, I could not go without Quatre."

"Quatre would be most welcome. You've never been to court?"

"No," Duo replied. He could have laughed at the thought of a nameless person such as himself and his equally nameless friends, Quatre or Dorothy, being welcomed at court

"It is exciting, but it can also be a bit . . . unnerving."

"Unnerving?"

"It is not a place for a person as pretty as you are, if they are not of strong will. There are dangerous currents that flow there and it's easy to be sucked into them." She tilted her head and looked at Duo questioningly. "Are you strong of will?"

"I believe so." Duo paused in his brushing. "If you mean can I keep my thoughts to myself . . . yes, I'm strong of will."

Duo wondered why both Heero's sister and mother had felt it necessary to warn him about the dangers at court.

"I don't want you to misunderstand me, Duo. Since you came, I've seen my son laugh for the first time in a long time. I think you're responsible for that. But . . . things are different at court than they are here. He . . . he might seem different to you. I'd like to think you would not judge by gossip and jealous whispers." She looked at Duo with a penetrating gaze, as if she would read any words left unspoken.

"I know quite well how malicious jealousy can make people. But I try never to make judgments on anything but my own feelings."

"Excellent. You'll do well. I've always said that listening to one's own instincts is usually the best way." Morgana started for the door. "If there is anything I can do to help, please call on me."

"Thank you."

When the door closed behind her, Duo sat slowly down on the bed. Heero has asked him to share the short days with him before they went to London. But the question remained in his mind. Was the packet of letters still here or were they safely put away in London?

He had a deep suspicion that Milliardo's information had been wrong. The letters had not been in Heero's possession when he'd arrived here. He was too relaxed, too . . . unwatchful was the only word he could think of. If Heero was all Milliardo said he was, Heero would have been more suspicious when he had found Duo in his study. No, Heero was relaxed here, and Duo was certain he would not bring any problems here with his mother and family at home. Then letters were in London, in his own house. And Duo would have to go there to gain possession of them.

Duo and Quatre settled into the coach in silence as if began the journey to London. Juanita would be with Heero and Ebony this morning as they too begin the trip.

"At least your Milliardo will be close by should any trouble occur," Quatre said.

"Yes." Duo smiled. "I'll feel much safer."

"Duo, you know we need only go back to the Round to disappear. Heero would never find you again."

"Quatre, you will be my liaison with Dorothy?" Duo asked. "If I feel any really danger, or" - he laughed - "if I get cold feet, I'll run back home like a scared rabbit. Until then, this might be my only chance to get what I'm after."

"I shall visit Dorothy often," Quatre said reassuringly. "Just to keep her informed of everything that's going on."

The two boys lapsed into silence, each considering his own private thoughts, which were strikingly different."

* * *

Heero, too, was deeply engrossed in his own thoughts, and was quite unaware of the fact that although Juanita conversed with her mother and responded to Ebony's endless questions, she kept a close eye on him. The fact that Duo Maxwell had had such an effect on him continued to surprise her.

She also knew that for the past few weeks something sinister had been preying on his mind. She knew he was involved in something, but all her subtle inquiries had met with no success.

Heero and Lord Errol Wray had been the closest of friends through childhood, military service, and then their joint service in the court of Queen Victoria. Errol had been closer to the queen and her consort Prince Albert than most. After the first attempt to assassinate the queen, just before her first child was born, Prince Albert had put Errol in control of his and the queen's safety. Errol took his duty very seriously, for he knew what confusion and disaster would reign should anything happen the England's monarch.

That Errol had taken his childhood friend into his complete confidence was a matter of pride with Heero and deepening the fear to his family.

Juanita also knew the Carters were involved in the matter somehow, and she was one of the few who thought that his rendezvous with Hilde Carter were more to seek information than to bed the woman. Juanita had no doubts that both she and Heero knew Hilde for what she was. It did arouse her curiosity as to how Heero was going to handle his affair with Hilde when Duo was in his home. She had a feeling that the duchess wasn't going to like it very much.

Duo had insisted he would stay with them only until a suitable place could be found for him and Quatre.

Despite Heero's insistence that he need not bother to look, Duo would not change his mind.

The two carriages drew up in front of Heero's townhouse within minutes of one another.

Morgana's mastery of the household was obvious at once. Things moved in an orderly fashion, and Duo was pleased when Juanita offered to give him a room-by-room tour of the house. He quickly memorized where every room was and singled out the once he intended to search first.

Juanita and Duo walked down the hall stopping at each room, so Duo was surprised when they passed one by. His face must have shown his curiosity because Juanita paused.

"This room is my father's private study. It's been locked since he died. One day, I suppose, Mother will relent and open it for Heero's use."

"It must be painful for her."

"Yes," Juanita said softly, but she didn't elaborate, and Duo had to swallow all his other questions and continue with the tour.

That night before dinner, Duo decided to take a walk in the garden. It was an exceptionally beautiful laid-out affair, and he wondered if it, too, had a maze.

Concentrating on his thoughts, Duo did not hear Morgana approach.

"It is lovely here, isn't it?" Morgana said. "Even this close to the city."

Duo turned to face her and smiled. "Yes, it is. I was just wondering if there was a maze."

"How surprising. There is. Heero seems to have a fondness for the dreadful things." She reached out a hand and motioned to a nearby bench. "Would you sit and talk to me for a while? I'm sure Nita will be late for dinner, she usually is."

They sat together in the mellow twilight and for a time they didn't speak. In moments like this Duo was even more aware of the feeling of guilt he'd tried unsuccessfully to overcome.

"My husband was rather proud of this place," Morgana said thoughtfully.

"As he well should have been." Duo turned to look at Morgana. "He built it for you, didn't he?"

"Yes . . . . it seems so many years ago."

"Pardon my forwardness . . . but you are not English."

"No - " Morgana smiled - "my family is from Seville."

"How ever did you meet?"

"Meet?" Morgana laughed. "We did not meet, we collided. Odin was a rascal, and he made his fortune as a privateer. I was on my way home from Japan, where my father had sent me to school. Our ship was no match for his and so . . . we were his prisoners."

"Were you not frightened?"

"No," Morgana said quickly. "I knew when I first saw him that he was the man I wanted. He was beautiful. In, fact Heero is his image. I allowed Odin to pursue me," she laughed softly, "until I caught him."

"And you've never regretted it?"

"Not for a moment."

"Did your parents ever forgive you?"

"When I had Heero in my arms and they saw him and how happy I was, there was no longer any question of forgiveness."

"How romantic."

"Yes, and rewarding. Heero and Nita are the best of gifts, and Ebony had made my life complete."

Duo was silent again. Of course his mother adored him. It was unlikely that she knew that secret part of his life that might cause Milliardo harm. Morgana's remarks only served to make Duo's confusion worse. Heero was two separate people. Which was the true Heero?

"There you two are." Heero's deep voice interrupted Duo's thoughts. "I've been looking for you. Mother is seems that Ebony is not quite feeling well She wants her grandmother to spoil her a bit more."

"She is no more spoiled than you were, my dear son, and the only harm is had done you is to made you firmly believe you should always get your own way. I expect one day you'll get a bit of a shock when what you want is unobtainable. I shall go and look in on Ebony."

Heero silently offered Duo his arm and they walked slowly together.

"Heero?" he asked.

"Yes?"

"Is this where you lived as a child?"

"Mostly. Here and at WingStar."

"And you prefer it here?"

"London . . . the court, they're exciting and challenging. For peace, I'd rather be at our country estate." Heero looked at Duo with warmth in his eyes that caught Duo's breath. "I have a very valuable thing there. It has a unique charm I'll remember always."

"Your mother was telling me about your father and how she met him." Duo tried to ignore what his words did to his heartbeat.

Heero chuckled. "I'm afraid my father was . . . quite a colorful personality."

"He was a pirate," Duo laughed in return.

"Ah . . . but he got what he wanted . . . always. Even the woman he loved from the day they met to the day he died."

They stopped walking and turned to look at each other. Duo knew what his unspoken words meant, just as he knew that one step forward was all Heero would need. Duo couldn't afford to take that step . . . in fact, he was afraid to.

He was saved the search for words he couldn't find when a young maid approached to call them for dinner.

That night Duo began his search. One room was all that could be safely managed each night. The last thing he wanted was to come face to face with Heero under circumstances like before. He might not have the strength to say no.

His search was a disappointment and he went to bed, not knowing that Heero had left the house several hours before.

* * *

It was in the wee hours of the morning that Heero returned. A gray fog shielded his arrival and the large object he carried. He came into the silent house without a sound, and carried the carefully wrapped object up to the only locked room on the house. From his pocket, he withdrew the key, and went inside. A few minutes later he came out empty-handed. He relocked the door and went to his room.

He lay in thought for a long, long time with a smile of satisfaction on his face before he went to sleep.

The next few days were to prove to Duo that he wad been right in his decision not to stay with the Yuys too long. Finding a place of their own was a task he gave Quatre while Heero began to show Duo a London he had never known before.

"London," he told Duo, "is a city used to absorbing outsiders and turning them into its own."

No, Duo though, London had tried to turn her into something, but not one of its own.

From London Bridge to the Bloody Tower, to the fabulous art galleries and the great Saint Paul's Cathedral, all awed Duo. This was a side of the city he had never even imagined.

They shared lunches and picnics and laughter. But still Duo searched. Finally he concluded that the locked room was the only place the letters could possibly be. But . . . how to get in?

Heero was absorbing Duo the way he had said London would absorb Duo. Duo was a puzzle, a child's innocence on the body of a delightful youth. He enjoyed his laughter, his multitude of questions, and the way Duo listened and understood. Duo was bright and intelligent, yet behind his eyes lingered that look. A look Heero wanted to change. He knew Duo had secrets, but he also knew that despite everything, he was falling deeper and deeper in love with Duo.

It was over a week before Heero announced he was going to present Duo at court. Quatre had come back from visiting the Round and he and Duo were closeted in their room.

"What did Milliardo say, Quatre?"

"That he hoped you were all right, that he was proud of how capable you were . . . and had you found the letters?"

"Is that all?" Disappointment filled Duo's voice.

"What do you expect him to say to me, Duo? He says if you can slip out he will meet you in the Round tonight."

"How can I possibly do that, how would I get there . . . and alone? It's impossible." It annoyed Duo that Milliardo would consider him walking into such danger.

"When I saw Dorothy today she thought you might want to send a message, so she is sending Mariemaya to the garden gate at midnight."

"Good. That's better. I'll write a note and find a way to meet Milliardo tomorrow." Quatre nodded, and Duo went to his desk and sat down before another thought struck him. He turned to again to Quatre. "Why did you go to the Round today?"

"Just to visit Dorothy and too see Trowa. Duo . . . I feel so . . . scared here. I wish you could find the letters and we could go."

"Well, I think I've found where they are. I just haven't found a way to get to them. But I will."

"It can't be too soon for me."

Duo turned back to his desk. It had been weeks since he had seen Milliardo and he was anxious to talk with him. He needed encouragement, needed to feel his love surrounding him. If Milliardo could just hold him for a while and rekindle his courage, he could go on.

Quatre watched Duo slip the note into his pocket, cast him a quick smile, and leave the room. Quatre knew Dorothy had been as worried about Duo as he had.

It had surprised him when Dorothy had voiced some strong reservations about Milliardo. Dorothy had confessed that she'd checked his background thoroughly but found nothing. Milliardo was, it seemed, exactly what he was. Still, both of Duo's friends worried.

Dinner had been the laughing affair it always was when Ebony and Heero ate at the same table. Occasionally Duo would glance up and see Heero watching him with a puzzled and somewhat speculative look. It made him shiver with the strangest feeling.

After dinner Duo felt as if his nerves were stretched to the point of breaking. Why tonight, of all nights, did the entire family decide to spend a relaxing evening at home?

It seemed to him as if the minutes were hours. He grew more and more aware of Heero every second they were together. He needed Milliardo! He felt as if he would burst out crying if he didn't get away from that penetrating blue gaze soon.

Finally it was Heero who made Duo breathe a sigh of relief.

"I have a great deal of work to do," he said as he rose and went to kiss his mother and sister good night. Then he gathered Ebony up in his arms. "And you, little one, it's been a long time since I tucked you in."

Ebony giggled and clung to him, and Juanita rose to follow them.

"I'll go with you, or else you'll tell her stories all night and she'll never get to sleep."

"I believe it is time for me to find my bed also," Morgana said. "Tomorrow night we must attend the queen's ball and if we are going to celebrate we'd better get some rest tonight. Duo?"

"Yes, I think I will retire too." He glanced at Quatre, who rose at once.

In his room, midnight seemed an eternity away and Duo waited with little patience. Finally when he thought he could bear the waiting no more, midnight came.

"Quatre, look and see if the hall is dark," Duo said as he took up his cloak and pt it about his shoulders, he put the hood up so his face could not be seen.

"There's no light. Duo, please be careful. If someone sees you, it will look very strange for you to be running around the garden at midnight."

"I'll be careful," he replied and then was gone. Quatre looked at the closed door and wished he had found some way for Duo to get out of the situation that he was in.

Duo moved down the darkened hallway slowly. He had paused outside his door for several minutes to let his eyes become accustomed to the darkness, and then moved slowly to the top of the stairs.

He looked down, but the bottom floor was like a dark well of shadows. With one hand on the banister, he moved down step by step.

He shook with tension. Quatre had been right. All he needed was to be found creeping around the house after midnight, dressed as he was. Heero would have no problem understanding that he was no longer a casual guest.

He slipped out the large French doors that led to the garden and paused, then moved across the garden to the back gate.

There seemed to be no one about, and then he whispered Mariemaya's name. Duo almost shrieked when Mariemaya stepped out of the darkness a foot or two from him. He had seen no sign of the girl was there.

"Mariemaya, Lord, you frightened me out of a year's growth."

"I seen you comin'." Mariemaya looked up at the huge house before her. "What a bloody big place. How do you find you way about?"

"Like you find your way about the Round," Duo answered. "For heaven's sake, Mariemaya, be quiet. Voices carry on a night like this. Here," he added as he took the mote from his pocket and handed it to her. It vanished beneath dark rags before Duo could blink. "Mariemaya, if . . . where there is a answer to my message, where will you put it?"

"Right here, behind this gate. I was lookin' about while I was waitin' for you. There's a stone back of it that has a nice hollow spot. I'll leave the message there."

"Fine," Duo replied. He didn't relish the thought of slipping down here every night to see if something had been delivered.

"Dorothy says to be careful. If you need help, you just holler."

"Tell Dorothy that I'll try to find a way to see her in the next few days, but there is only one place left to search and I have to din a way to get into it. When I do . . . if I find what I want, I'll come running back to the Round as fast as my legs can carry me."

"All right. Is that all?"

"Yes."

Mariemaya nodded, stepped back away from Duo, and then silently vanished into the night.

Duo felt the darkness folding around him, and the night seemed to be filled with threatening shadows. He moved back across the garden and into the house.

He was quite unaware that curtains had been held back and serious eyes watched him progress into the house until he disappeared inside. Only then did the curtain drop back into place.

Duo was excited about the ball and couldn't deny it. No matter what the circumstances, he delighted in his beautiful gown and the honor he might never know again of being presented to the queen.

He hadn't been able to find a way into the locked room, but he had his eyes open for any opportunity.

The day passed without one and he found himself, with Quatre, dressing for the ball. With Milliardo's usual perfect taste, he had chosen the gown Duo would wear, and this one was unique. It was of a dark purple shade that seemed to shift color to a burnished blue as he moved. It was a gown meant to be seductive. The ivory of his shoulders combined with the dark color created an illusion of passion, passion that would draw people to Duo like moths to a flame.

He had jewelry, but nothing seemed to quite fit the gown. In desperation he wore only a strand of pearls with matching earrings.

Quatre wore pale pink that was warm and created a faint blush on his porcelain skin. Duo was the only one who knew that Quatre would rather have been anywhere else this night except where he was.

"Just think," Duo said with a soft laugh, "we are actually going to meet the queen. Aren't you excited, Quatre?"

"I suppose."

"Suppose?"

"Oh, Duo. We were never raised to associate with royalty. You're a good actor, but me . . . I'm just a little orphan boy who's out of his depths with these people. I always have a feeling Heero and his mother and sister are looking right through me. Duo, for pity's sake, what does one say to the queen?"

"I suppose what one would say to anyone else. After all, she was a woman before she was a queen. Besides, from what Juanita and Morgana have said, her relationship with Prince Albert is very romantic. If she knew our situation, she would be compassionate."

"Or she'd have us executed. We shouldn't meddle in court affairs."

"I don't want to meddle in court affairs!" Duo said in exasperation. "I want those letters. Then Milliardo and I can go on with our lives."

"You're excited because you enjoy a challenge. Yes, you do, don't deny it. But . . . after you succeed, what will you do when you and Heero come face to face again? As Milliardo's husband, you will. He will not be as compassionate as the queen, I don't think."

"I'll cross that bridge when I get to it," Duo replied. He looked into his own eyes in the mirror and tried to convince himself that it would not matter what Heero thought once the game was over. It annoyed him that he wasn't successful.

Heero closed the lid of the small velvet-lined box and looked and Juanita with what she had always called his pirate grin.

"Are you sure about this, Heero?"

"As sure as I am about anything, Nita. Mother gave me this amethyst necklace for the person who I will marry."

And you truly intend to wed Duo?"

"Do you doubt it?" He looked at her with an amused lift of a dark-winged brow.

"I don't doubt that you'll get what you want. But I have lots of other doubts. Like, what kind of mischief Hilde will cause when she finds out, and what will happen to your plans if she decides to have a little talk with Duo? A lot of things are at stake here."

Heero unknowingly repeated Duo's words. "I'll cross that bridge when I get to it."

"You haven't even asked Duo. What has come over you? You've never been careless before."

"Trust me, Nita; I'm not going to be careless now. But I'm not going to let Duo slip away from me either."

"You always know so much more than you say, dear brother, and I never thought my wild and rather untamed sibling would tumble for a sweet, misty-eyed virgin." Juanita chuckled. "He is a virgin, isn't he, or have you seen to that little matter already?"

"You know, Mother was remiss in your training. She should have washed your mouth out with soap more often that she did. I've not laid a hand on Duo."

"That is itself is remarkable." Juanita laughed, but her laugh faded when she looked closely at her bother who was completely unamused.

"I believe to be in love with him. Why is that so hard to believe?" Heero said quietly.

"I'm sorry, Heero," she said softly. "I just thought -"

"That he was another conquest. I'd thought you were beyond listening to rumors."

"He's so young . . . so - "

"Innocent, yes, he is. He has a purity and honesty about him I haven't experienced since I was a hot blooded boy. It's a rare quality, and I hunger for it like a starving man for food."

"But you know so little about him."

"Getting snobbish, Nita?"

"God, no, but I don't want you to be taken by surprise, or taken in by a pretty face."

"Have I ever?"

"There's a first time for everything."

"Worry less about me and more about yourself."

"Me?"

"I've heard a few rumors too. I don't believe them, but others might. What of you and Milliardo Peacecraft?"

"Milliardo Peacecraft! I'd rather bed a leper," Juanita said so venomously that Heero had to smirk.

"We know him for what he is, but nothing can be proved and no one else has a suspicion. When did you decide he was not the perfect catch of the season?"

"The first time he began to pursue me and ask probing questions about you and your friend Wray. I'm averse to being used like a whore and while I'm being treated like a fool."

"Ah . . . pity the man who thinks you a fool." Heero chuckled. "I'd better hurry. I want to see Duo and give him this before we go" Heero walked to the door, then turned and looked at his sister. "I'd take it as a personal favor if you could contrive for you and Mother to take a separate carriage."

"That can be arranged."

"And Quatre?" Heero added.

"Of course."

"Thanks. Speaking of Quatre, have you seen him somewhere before? I keep getting the feeling I've seen him, but for the life of me I can't remember where."

"No. I hadn't noticed," Juanita said thoughtfully. "But now that you mention it, there is something . . ." She shrugged.

"It's elusive as hell and I can't rid myself of the idea that it is an important memory. Oh well, maybe it will come to me. In the meantime, thanks again for your help."

"I'll remember that you owe me a debt."

"I don't doubt it for a minute."

Heero walked toward Duo's room. If Nita was surprised at him, he was even more surprised at himself. He hadn't thought of marriage, had actually thought that one day it would have to be done as a matter of convenience and to produce an heir. He'd never been prepared to woo a delicate half child who had slipped so easily past all his defenses. He had come into his heart like a breath of clean morning air. When he knocked on Duo's door, it was Quatre who answered.

"How very pretty you look, Quatre."

"Thank you."

"My sister is looking for you. She and Mother are prepared to leave; they would like you to ride with them. I shall bring Duo."

"All right. I shall get my shawl. Please, come in. Duo is ready to . . ."

Quatre paused because he knew that Heero wasn't listening to a word he said. He had opened the door wide and Heero had come nearly face to face with Duo, who wore a warm, welcoming smile.

"I'll see you at the ball, Duo," Quatre said and he left, closing the door on anything Duo might say.

"Duo," Heero said. "What a vision you are." He crossed to him, standing close enough to make Duo catch his breath at his overwhelming masculinity.

Duo's self-control wilted like a frosted flower. Heero was overpowering. When he took Duo's hand in his and pressed a soft kiss on it, Duo felt it to his depths. He was grateful that they had to leave.

"We'd best hurry or the others will eave without us." His voice sounded breathless even to himself.

"We needn't rush. The other have already gone. I'll escort you. But before we go, I have something for you." Heero held the box before him and slowly opened it. Duo could not help gasping.

"Heero, how beautiful." Slowly Duo removed the pearls he wore."

Heero took the jewels from the box, stepped behind Duo, and placed them about Duo's slender neck. Duo touched them gently, and when Heero had the necklace in place, he went to the mirror.

"What a perfect color." Duo turned to Heero. "I', sire they are either your mother's or Nita's. Whose are they? I shall have to thank her and assure her I'll be very careful"

Heero laughed and drew him into his arms to kiss Duo lightly. "They are not my mother's, not Nita's. They are part of my inheritance, and they are a gift from me to you. They couldn't be worn more effectively than around your beautiful neck."

For a minute Duo was silenced and his face placed a bit. Was this his first step in seduction? He didn't believe that Heero was one who have to buy favors.

"I . . . I can't accept them."

"Then wear them just for tonight. They look as if they had been made just for to wear with that gown." Heero felt her know Duo well enough to know he was not going to commit himself so easily.

"All right." Duo was hesitant.

"Duo, later tonight there is something of utmost importance I must talk to you about. Will you join me for a ride through the park when the ball is over?"

Something of importance to talk to him about! He almost panicked. Did Heero know about him? Had he made a fatal slip? Worse, had Heero been aware all along? Had Heero been playing with him? He wanted to say no, but his hand was warm in hers and the intensity of his gaze drew a word of agreement from him almost against his will.

In the semi-dark of the carriage Duo felt beneath his cloak to touch the warm stones that lay against his skin. He was so ware of Heero sitting close beside him that he could hardly think.

But thought was unnecessary when they entered the magnificent ballroom at Buckingham Palace. All Duo could do was react to the spectacular sights around him.

Heero could easily read the excitement on Duo's flushed face. Color! Glittering crystal chandeliers, the flow of diamonds and rubies, the fabulous gown, and the music! All of it captivated Duo. When Heero swept him out onto the dance floor, Duo felt as if he were flying on a cloud.

Duo relented and accepted the glass of champagne Heero coaxed him to take. Duo was laughing at something Heero had said and waiting in breathless expectation for the arrival of the queen, when he turned almost instinctively toward the entrance.

Two men and a woman, obviously entering together, stood framed in the doorway. One man was tall, distinguished looking, in his mid-fifties and quite handsome. Beside him stood a young and extremely beautiful woman. She was tall, her hair the color of ripe plums, her eyes a deep purple. She smiled the smile of a contented woman.

But those were not to two on whom Duo's eyes were fixed. He was gazing at the younger man. Handsome and proud, Milliardo Peacecraft smiled down into the face of the beautiful woman beside him.

Heero saw where Duo's eyes wandered and spoke. "Ah, I see Peacecraft has arrived."

"Who is the man with him?" Duo was hesitant to ask the question, not certain he really wanted an answer.

"Lord Stephan Noin," Heero replied and his tone was as cold as chips of ice. "A cold-blooded fish who would do in his own mother for a pound."

"And . . . and the lady?"

"Lucrezia Noin, his daughter . . . and, I'll wager, Milliardo's future bride if his pans go as he hopes."