Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ The Edulcoration of Duo Maxwell ❯ Manipulation ( Chapter 7 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

The Edulcoration of Duo Maxwell - 7/?

~~~~~~~

Note: This fic is a response to Nova Una's challenge to write Gundam Wing/Pretty Woman fusion fic with Heero in the Julia Roberts role and Duo in the Richard Gere role.

Warnings: AU (duh), yaoi (double duh), language, citrusy situations (hey, part of the challenge DID mention lemon!), suggestive dialog, significant deviation from Pretty Woman script, although it bears enough similarities to still be considered a fusion. Lime in this chapter.

Spoilers: None for GW, oodles for Pretty Woman, to an extent.

Disclaimer: I don't really need to be Captain Obvious here, do I? No ownership, no profit.

Edulcorate (verb)- To free from harshness (as of attitude) or to soften

~~~~~~~

Chapter 7 - Manipulation

Peacecraft was, of course, already there waiting for them when they arrived. Except he wasn't alone.

The first thing Duo noticed was the waist length platinum hair. It was uncannily like the wig Heero had been wearing the night before, except the white eyebrows that were upturned curiously left no doubt that it was indeed Peacecraft's natural color. His eyes traveled toward Heero, and noticed that Heero was surprised as well, as evidenced by the very slight widening of his eyes.

Standing next to Peacecraft was a young woman with equally long hair, although hers was a soft brown shade, almost blonde. The sides were gathered loosely, and her bangs were much less reckless than her brother's, but the family resemblance was evident in the determined set of her jaw.

"Gentlemen," Milliardo greeted them, extending a hand. Duo shook his hand firmly, then released it. When Peacecraft turned to Heero, Duo could feel the tension in his body as he hesitated ever so briefly before reluctantly accepting the handshake.

Heero hated shaking hands. A handshake was too intimate for strangers to share. Skin-to-skin contact, a clasping of body parts that meant so many things to so many people. Handshakes were considered absolutely binding in many circles, akin to a blood oath, and yet others regarded them as mere formalities. The gesture was too ambiguous for Heero's liking. He'd sooner let Peacecraft fuck him than shake his hand. Assuming the man was going to pay him, of course.

He could feel Duo's disapproval, and knew he'd failed at hiding his hesitation, but he couldn't help it. Part of him could still hear his grandfather's voice in the back of his head instructing him at a very young age the appropriate way to greet someone. He knew that wasn't the root of his discomfort, but at least it was something tangible he could blame. He hated having problems that couldn't be traced to a definable source.

Peacecraft was introducing the young woman as his sister, Relena. She smiled at Heero, and he bowed to her slightly. Duo almost expected her to drop into a curtsy.

Duo turned his attention back to Milliardo. "This is Heero," he said belatedly, already feeling as if he were being forced into some macabre dance. When Peacecraft quirked an eyebrow at him, Duo said, "he is a very close friend." Let the blond make of that what he would, Duo thought. He was going to change the musical score for their little stage playing. He felt a thrill of excitement at the challenge.

They all sat down following the introductions, with Duo seated across from Heero and to the right of Peacecraft.

He watched the mildly enraptured look on Relena's face as she turned to face Heero and started telling him about her upcoming birthday. He barely registered that she'd stopped talking and that Milliardo was speaking, and he winced inwardly until he realized that the words were not addressed to him.

"...customs, and I apologize if it made you uncomfortable," he was saying. "It was incredibly rude of me."

Heero bowed his head in acknowledgement. Peacecraft seemed to recognize that he did not need to explain himself further, and then their food arrived.

Duo's attention was riveted on Heero, who was carefully explaining the various bowls and plates to Relena, who seemed smitten. Duo couldn't blame her. Heero was an extraordinarily good looking man. He wondered what her brother would think if he knew that his sister had developed a teensy crush on a whore.

Watching Heero, it struck Duo that his companion would have made a damn fine geisha, if he were a woman. Up until now, he had not assumed anything about Heero's past, including his ethnic background. It really didn't mean anything, and it had little to do with why Duo had hired him. However, the tightly drawn raven hair made the slight tilt of his eyes that Duo had first noticed in the car all the more evident. That, and the way he handled the chopsticks with precision and grace, suggested that he was of Japanese descent. Duo would never have guessed that the brown eyes were anything but Heero's natural color, so well did the compliment the image before him.

If a simple handshake bothered him that much, what the hell was he doing selling the rest of his body?

He'd only been with Heero for twenty-four hours, and he was more confused now than when Heero had first offered him a blow job. He watched Heero's hands, hands that he'd felt on his body the night before. He was fascinated at the way Heero deftly cleaved a portion of his food in half with the chopsticks, a feat he doubted he'd be able to handle half as gracefully.

There was that word again. Graceful. He was hard pressed to fit this subdued, polite, almost painfully elegant young man, one who was almost shyly explaining harmony to Relena Peacecraft, with the one whose mouth had brought him to a mind-blowing orgasm the night before. Then he pictured the way Heero had handled Wufei's car, and had to admit that graceful was an apt description, regardless of how it was presented.

Heero tilted his head almost imperceptibly in the direction of a restaurant patron who was gesturing wildly with his chopsticks, and he shook his head and said something to Relena. She covertly glanced in the direction indicated and nodded in understanding.

Duo found himself grateful for Heero's presence. Although the restaurant was on American soil and therefore Western etiquette was acceptable, it had been a long time since he'd last had dealings with any Japanese businessmen. He'd forgotten the elaborate dance that the dining experience was, one that involved a series of steps that were repeated throughout the meal, all in a carefully choreographed manner.

He glanced at Peacecraft, and noticed that the man seemed just as at ease with the dance. Duo fought the beginnings of a frown. If he was so damned knowledgeable, why had he extended his hand to Heero in the first place? Why was he allowing Heero to take care of educating his sister on proper dining etiquette?

Enough. He wasn't here to enjoy a casual dinner with an old friend. He was there to put Peacecraft's back against the wall. The man's obvious self confidence made him itch to do it, too.

Duo took a sip of water, then held his glass aloft, letting the light reflect off the droplets of moisture that beaded along the side. "A name is an interesting thing, you understand," he began, not bothering to look at the man next to him. "A very interesting thing. Something that should be meaningless, and yet so many are judged by it. That seems rather unfair, don't you agree?" He tilted the glass, rolled it, let the water gently lap against the sides, as if it held all the answers to the universe within.

"People die to uphold it. People die to defend it. People will do so much, all for a mere word. That's either incredibly dedicated, or incredibly delusional. Peacecraft," he said, drawing out the name, hissing slightly as his tongue touched the roof of his mouth. "Peacecraft is a most interesting name. To craft peace. From what, do you suppose? You can't build something from nothing. No one can." He allowed himself a glance at Heero out of the corner of his eye. He was keeping Relena distracted. Good boy.

"Some people try to forge peace. For them, peace is escape from war, but not necessarily one that involves weapons of mass destruction. Life is war. One continuous, unending struggle. Not everyone is able to ward off the feelings of hopelessness that arise when the uphill battle becomes too much. They need assistance, reinforcements. An arsenal. Something to help them make their way through the darkness, if only for a day."

Heero's hand hesitated ever so slightly as he brought the chopsticks to his lips, but Duo's attention was focused solely on the blond to his left, even if he refused to make eye contact with the man.

Duo tired of the dance. It was time to move in for the kill.

"I'm not sure if you're aware," he continued, "but I've heard a rumor that Zodiac is currently under investigation for unscrupulous business practices involving the illegal use of prescription drugs."

"That's ridiculous," Milliardo said firmly. "They have a reputation for being in the lead for development of new drugs, and have the full backing of the FDA."

"Then I wonder who might want to tip them off to something that would launch a full scale investigation?" Checkmate. And Milliardo Fucking Peacecraft knew it, too.

"You bastard," Peacecraft hissed, his anger evident in his voice.

"Probably," Duo said in a lazy drawl that was nothing like his usual voice. "But an honest one." Heero noticed the dangerous glint that was in his eyes.

Milliardo stood up abruptly. "Relena," he said sharply. "We're leaving."

She glanced at her brother, then looked at Duo. Turning to face Heero, she gave a rueful smile. "It was a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Heero," she said. "Thank you for taking the time to insure that I did not make a complete fool of myself."

Heero didn't risk more than a brief nod, not with the waves of anger rolling off Duo.

The Peacecraft siblings left, the taller one striding toward the door with purpose in mind, the younger one hurrying to catch up.

Duo was still staring at his glass. One arm was draped over the edge of the table. His eyes moved from the glass to Heero.

"Who are you, Heero?"

Before Heero could reply with 'Who do you want me to be?' Duo was on his feet and throwing a handful of bills on the table.

"Screw manners," he said irritably. When Heero hesitated, he grabbed the other man's arm. Heero didn't bother to resist, not wanting to draw any more attention to them, but his body went rigid with anger of his own.

Once outside, Duo dropped his hand from Heero's arm.

"Sorry."

Heero rubbed his arm where Duo's fingers had dug into them. It didn't really hurt, but he was surprised to see the fury that had so rapidly consumed his companion. He supposed he should have expected it from someone as passionate as Duo.

Passion. He shook his head. Passion implied some sort of emotional involvement, and it seemed that Duo was fighting to keep himself distanced from everything around him, as evidenced by his chillingly calm response to Peacecraft. Duo had led the lamb to slaughter, and it had chafed Peacecraft's pride.

'Who are YOU, Duo?' he thought, his anger dissipating.

Duo handed his ticket to the parking attendant, and they waited for the rental car to be brought around.

It wasn't until they were in the car, Duo behind the wheel, Heero in the seat next to him, leaving a safe distance between them, that Duo spoke.

"Peacecraft should know by now that it's a dog eat dog world, Heero, and that unfortunately someone has to wear the milkbone underwear."

The humor was forced, and Heero said nothing, leaving both of them to their own thoughts. Duo's weak attempt at lightening the situation made the silence seem like a living thing, uncurled and slithering about their bodies.

Duo handed the keys to the valet at the hotel entrance, and then turned to Heero, a smile on his face. It wasn't an obviously forced expression, but it wasn't genuine either. Heero understood the silent message. Whatever happened in the restaurant or the car was not to be discussed, period.

They returned to the room, and Duo threw the keycard on the desk a little too forcefully. He turned to Heero and grinned a bit sheepishly.

"So, where'd ya learn all those fancy dining manners?"

Heero frowned at Duo's lapse into casual speech. It was so unlike the way he usually spoke.

"I already have this job," he replied, his own voice carrying a hint of smugness, even if it was just as forced as Duo's smile earlier. "I did not realize I needed to furnish a resume listing all of my accomplishments after the fact."

"Hmmm, a resume," Duo said, licking his lips suggestively. He gave a bark of dry laughter. "We are a lot alike, you and I."

Heero quirked an eyebrow at him.

"We both screw people for money. Of course, the people you're screwing don't complain, I'd imagine."

Heero remained silent, afraid that Duo would stop talking if he said anything.

"You don't get involved with your clients. Bad business strategy to do so. Same with me. You can't let yourself feel anything for them. Means to an end," his voice grew softer with each sentence. He turned to face Heero, cupping the other man's cheek briefly. "That's why you don't kiss on the mouth, isn't it?" He dropped his hand and turned to walk toward the balcony, standing in the doorway, his arms crossed and his head bowed.

"Duo."

Duo grunted.

Heero took a deep breath. It was a mistake, he knew that, but he couldn't stop himself.

"Why does it bother you so much to be called a bastard?" Heero had an idea, but he'd been taken by surprise so many times by Duo, he wanted to hear it from him.

To his surprise, Duo spoke. "What I said to Peacecraft." He turned and looked at Heero. He looked like he wanted to say something more, but didn't. "Don't wait up," was all he said, then he left the room.

Heero stared after him. This was the easiest job he'd ever been hired to do, since moving to California. Duo was going to just pay him to live it up in this luxury suite, unmolested?

He frowned, then turned toward the bathroom. He didn't glance once at Duo's laptop.

~~~~~~~

It was hours later and Duo had still not returned. Heero gave up trying to sleep and turned to Duo's computer.

He managed to gain access to the security cameras in the lobby and hallways, frowning at how easy it had been, and eventually he noticed an undue amount of fluttering in front of one of the rooms. People would start to head into the room, then hesitate and walk away. A few congregated there, obviously discussing something, and in a few minutes two employees seemed to have lost an argument with their peers. They headed into the room with slumped shoulders.

Heero had lost faith in his hunches long ago, but he was pretty sure he knew why they'd been reluctant to enter.

He got up and searched through the dresser drawers and the closet. He found what he was looking for and shook his head. He would never have seen himself doing this in a million years, but there was a first time for everything.

~~~~~~~

Duo's fingers were splayed across the piano keys in one of the dining rooms, faltering now and then before he gritted his teeth and started again. He hadn't really welcomed the company of the hotel employees who were stacking the chairs to make room for the cleaning crew in the morning, but in the great scheme of things, their presence was insignificant. THEY were insignificant.

He felt their sudden discomfiture before a third presence made itself known to him. He wasn't really surprised to see Heero out of the corner of his eye, but then he realized what Heero was wearing and his head snapped up.

Heero was standing there wearing nothing more than that damned black wig and Duo's dressing gown.

Duo was flabbergasted, but he did no more than quirk a grin at Heero. He would have willingly bet that there was no way that Heero would have traipsed through this hotel dressed, or not dressed, as he was. He beckoned Heero over with a tilt of his head, and, wonder of wonders, Heero complied.

Duo eyed him up and down with an exaggerated leer, then licked his lips. Heero frowned slightly, and Duo gave him a very tiny, but genuine smile.

Heero said nothing, and Duo felt as if those eyes, somewhat hidden by the shadows in the dimly lit room, were looking for some sort of answer.

"Would you gentlemen mind?" Duo said, not taking his eyes from Heero. They seemed only too glad to hasten their way out of the room, and he heard the audible click of the door as they closed it behind them. Smart boys.

"So, Heero," Duo said. "I must say you've taken me by surprise. I wouldn't think you'd want your assets on display for the entire hotel."

A minute curving of those lips, and Heero untied the robe and let it fall open, revealing Duo's workout clothes, untouched as yet on this trip as he hadn't so much as set foot in the gym. Duo had to admit, the body hugging shorts looked much better on Heero than they did on him. His eyes were transfixed to the bulge between Heero's legs, and his hand itched to reach out and stroke it.

He was brought back to awareness when Heero spoke.

"You play the piano." Not a question, a statement. No trace of surprise. Duo felt almost disappointed.

"Not really," he admitted, demonstrating by playing the only song he knew, all the way through until he reached the chorus, and then his fingers hit a discordant note. Again. "That's all I know," he added, rather unnecessarily.

Heero was standing next to the piano seat, the silk dressing gown caressing Duo's arm. He repressed a shiver and turned sideways to straddle the bench. He slid to the end of the seat, where Heero was already standing there, waiting for him. His hands reached up and around Heero, running his fingers along the slick material that covered incredibly tight buttocks. It was strangely erotic, even more so than the feel of Heero's naked ass the previous night. He marveled at the firmness beneath his hands, and he couldn't help squeezing, reveling in the way it resisted the pressure of his fingers. It felt different, with his attention focused solely on that part of Heero's body. Last night he'd had Heero in his mouth while he fondled the firm muscles, but this time there were no such distractions. His fingers ghosted over the shorts, running from the small of Heero's back to the underside of that perfectly curved bottom.

His breathing quickened, and he glanced up to look at the front of Heero's, no, his, shorts.

And there was no change in the size or shape of that bulge.

He dropped his hands immediately, and stood up. "Follow me," he said harshly, and stalked out of the room.

Heero removed the dressing gown, balling it up in his fists for a moment, then obeyed.

tbc