Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ The Edulcoration of Duo Maxwell ❯ Confrontations ( Chapter 6 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

The Edulcoration of Duo Maxwell - 6/?

~~~~~~~

Warnings (for the series): AU (duh), yaoi (double duh), language, citrusy situations, suggestive dialog, mild angst, significant deviation from Pretty Woman script, although it bears enough similarities to still be considered a fusion.

Disclaimer: I don't really need to be Captain Obvious here, do I? No ownership, no profit.

Spoilers: None for GW, oodles for Pretty Woman, to an extent.

Edulcorate (verb)- To free from harshness (as of attitude) or to soften

~~~~~~~

Chapter 6 - Confrontations

Heero's strides carried him to the registration desk of the lobby, and the woman behind the counter looked up at him with a standard issue "service-with-a-smile" expression in place. Heero handed her a sealed enveloped with bold handwriting on the front.

"A friend of mine will be here today to pick this up," he stated. She nodded, the smile drooping a little at the commanding tone of his voice. "His name is Quatre Raberba, and you will insure that he receives it." His eyes narrowed. "And it will be sealed when he does."

The woman's throat went dry, and she nodded again. Heero inclined his head slightly, then left as quickly as he'd arrived.

She shivered. His look had promised the most dire of consequences if the envelope wasn't safely delivered. She couldn't help but watching as the man moved across the lobby. It was a shame that not all men could pull off wearing leather, but this one most certainly could. It was even more evident during his departure than his approach.

She sighed, then pulled out a key from under the desk. As she locked the envelope away for safe keeping, she shook her head. Her roommate was right. She did have a thing for dangerous men.

~~~~~~~

Heero made his way through the crowd, his peripheral vision noting the presence of others but not slowing down, moving only as much as necessary to avoid bumping into anyone. At one point he had to wait for several luggage carts to be wheeled past, and he looked around impatiently.

He recognized an elderly couple approaching a man who had just emerged from an office door that opened into the lobby. They had been part of the group giving him disapproving looks while Duo and he waited for the elevator the night before. His eyes automatically flicked to the person they were talking to, registering the contrast between the man's tailored khaki-colored suit and brightly colored tie to the attire worn by other hotel employees. Heero's path was clear as the procession of luggage carts came to an end, and he resumed walking until he was outside, where he blinked a few times in the harsh sunlight. He flicked the blonde bangs out of his eyes and determinedly walked down Wilshire Boulevard toward North Beverly Drive.

~~~~~~~~

Duo ate his lunch at his desk, one hand rapidly clicking the delete button to rid his Inbox of various unsolicited e-mails. If he found out how his e-mail address got onto these bulk mailing lists, he'd kill the person responsible.

"Bad news, Duo," Wufei said without preamble, walking into his office and leaning over Duo with both hands flat on his desk.

"Really. Good thing I just ate, I'd hate to ruin my appetite."

Wufei scowled at Duo's nonchalant attitude, even though he knew that Duo was every bit as concerned as he was. He stood up straight and turned around to lean against the desk, crossing his arms across his chest, deliberately turning his back to Duo.

"Zodiac has been sniffing around Peacecraft's company. Rumor has it they are looking to expand their pharmaceuticals division, and if they offer Peacecraft a contract, our plan won't have a chance."

"Shit. The Omnificent, Omnipotent, Omniscient, and Omni-everything Zodiac?"

"The same," Wufei said disgustedly. "This doesn't look good, Duo."

"Anyone ever tell you that you need to lay off the drama, Chang?" Duo said. Before Wufei could come back with a biting comment, he added, "pharmaceuticals, huh?" His tone made Wufei turn around and stare at Duo, who was looking thoughtfully at the ceiling.

"Know the worst part about business?" Duo mused. "Red tape? No. Not that. Government agencies." When Wufei looked like he was going to question Duo further, he moved back to his computer, one hand on the keyboard, the other on his phone. "I've got work to do."

Wufei bristled at the dismissal, but if his partner had an idea, he wasn't going to interfere.

~~~~~~~

Heero glared at the sales associate at Prada Men.

"I'm sorry, sir," the nervous employee said, wringing his hands. "It's store policy."

It was true that many shops on Rodeo Drive were so exclusive, shopping was by reservation only, but Heero hadn't expected this place to be one of them.

The place wasn't even that busy. Heero seethed inwardly. He'd hoped to intimidate the little man, but he reminded himself that these folks were used to catering to self centered, ill-tempered celebrities.

He spied a group of dark-haired businessmen examining some of the merchandise on display, and watched them for a while. When one of them turned so he was facing Heero, he realized all was not lost yet, since there was opportunity staring him right in the face. He'd have to identify himself, but he knew the risks of that being a problem were next to zero, considering who they were. Setting his face in a mask of determination, he strode over to them. When he reached them, his features softened. He bowed his head slightly and spoke a few words, his voice low and respectful.

The salesman tried to pretend he was straightening the lapel on a jacket nearby, and tilted his head toward the speakers slightly. He thought he heard something that sounded like oh-gee-san, but since he didn't speak even a smidgen of Japanese, he wasn't sure what that meant. He quickly returned to his previous position as the men who weren't engaged in conversation caught him trying to eavesdrop. The eyes of one of the men lit up in either recognition or acknowledgement after the dangerous looking young man spoke. He replied, bowing his head in return, and a few rapidly exchanged phrases later, the two of them returned to the salesman, the dangerous looking one a respectful distance behind the older gentleman.

"Mr. Hitomi?" the man squeaked as they approached, his eyes flicking toward Heero nervously.

"This gentleman is in need of assistance," Hitomi said simply. No explanation was given, but the implication was clear. Hitomi wasn't facing Heero, but the salesman was. Heero's lips curled in an almost feral grin at the look of shocked amazement that flitted across the man's face.

"Certainly, Mr. Hitomi," he said, then turned to Heero, who was extending his thanks to the gentleman. When Heero faced him again, he swallowed nervously, then asked, "how may I help you, sir?"

~~~~~~~

Heero walked into the lobby of the luxury hotel with a garment bag over his shoulder, and scowled fiercely.

How the hell was he going to get back in the room?

The elevator operator recognized him, and his eyes grew wide with alarm. He remembered the longhaired man, the penthouse hotel guest, and the way he'd ignored him and punched the button to close the doors. The blond-haired man had been with him, and had looked fit to kill someone. He'd breathed more easily once they'd reached the top floor and the others had exited the cramped space. By then, the hotel employee had hazarded a tentative guess at the nature of the relationship between the two men, but as was expected of him, he kept his opinions to himself. It was hard not to shiver as Heero walked onto the elevator as if he had every right to be there. Which he apparently did.

When they reached the penthouse floor, Heero stepped out without looking back and waited for the elevator doors to close, then he walked to the door and crouched next to it to examine the lock.

He had nothing with him, and a quick search of the alcove did nothing to improve his situation.

His mood wasn't any better when he got back to the ground floor, still carrying the garment bag. His fingers tightened briefly on the hanger as his eyes scanned the lobby. He spotted the man in the khaki business suit, which Heero now recognized as an Armani, thanks to the suit that one of Hitomi-san's colleagues had been wearing.

"Can I help you?" the man asked, approaching Heero, one hand reaching up to stroke the neatly trimmed beard at his chin.

Heero was surprised at the informal speech the man used. He studied the man appraisingly. He was considerably older than Duo, but nowhere near as old as the couple he'd been speaking with earlier. He was mostly bald, but almost proudly so, with the graying hair at his temples practically dominating his entire head. The bright fuchsia tie had a repeating pattern of what looked like tiny green palm trees, if you looked closely.

He was not what Heero expected to find working in a hotel of this caliber, but maybe that would work in his favor.

"I need to get into the penthouse," Heero said without preamble.

"No can do," came the casual reply. "Not without ID and your name on the room registration." He looked at Heero almost accusingly.

Heero wracked his brain. What was Duo's e-mail address again?

"I'm here with Duo Maxwell," he said, gritting his teeth to avoid strangling the man who seemed to have all day to determine Heero's chances of success in getting ready in time for Duo's little dinner engagement.

"You are, are you?" It was clear that the man didn't believe him.

"Howard," a woman interrupted timidly. "There's a phone call for you."

"Wait one moment," Howard told him. "Unless you have somewhere else you need to be."

Heero didn't care for the implied slur, but shook his head. He should have charged Duo the entire ten thousand.

Howard took the call. When he heard the voice on the other side, he looked up at Heero, and then said into the phone, "looks like he's ready to snap someone in two?" He nodded at whatever was said on the other end, then hung up the receiver.

"Mr. Maxwell has requested that I provide you with access to his room," he said, not at all embarrassed. Heero was confused. Hadn't the man just looked down on him, guessing what he was? Not that he wanted anyone to question his relationship with Duo, whatever Duo decided that relationship was going to be for the duration of the week.

"Anything else I can do for you?" Howard asked him.

Heero fingered the blond strands of hair at the side of his face thoughtfully.

"Yes."

~~~~~~~

Duo wasn't very happy that he'd had to call the hotel to let someone know that Heero was staying with him in the end. He couldn't believe he'd forgotten about the keycard. He prayed the man who'd greeted him that morning was still there, because he looked like he'd be the most laid back of all the hotel employees, with his casual manner in dealing with the guests. Duo had chatted with the man briefly shortly when he asked for transportation to be brought around. He imagined if he'd had a father, he'd have wanted someone like Howard.

Thankfully the old guy had reacted as Duo had hoped, which was not to react at all. All Howard had wanted was to confirm that the person requesting admittance to Duo's room was the same young man that was standing in the lobby looking incredibly pissed.

He supposed it could be worse.

Fortunately they were going to be on time for Peacecraft's infernal dinner. He'd taken a shower in the executive suite and donned his own formal attire. He was curious to see Heero in something other than his leather pants. Not that he minded the view. He frowned at that thought, not liking the implications.

He looked around the lobby, only half expecting to see Heero's blond wig, if he hadn't gotten the Lorelei Lee reference. He had faith in Heero's ability to figure it out, although there was really no reason for him to do so. He realized that a raven-haired man seated at the bar was staring at him, and at first he thought it was Wufei, until he realized that the nose was much smaller, and the cut of the suit was not something that his partner would wear. This man's lips were also more inviting, and he felt himself grow warm. It made him uncomfortable. Then the man stood up and started to walk toward him, and he realized it was Heero. In a damn black wig.

The dark hair of the wig was smoothed away from Heero's brow with a few stray wisps covering his forehead, and the rest was pulled back into a tight little ponytail, just like Wufei's. As he got closer to Heero, Duo noticed the dark brown contact lenses as well. He looked damn good, Duo hated to admit, but he couldn't help feeling a bit disappointed at the same time.

He stood there awkwardly, not quite sure what to do. If Heero had been a woman, he'd have offered his arm for her to take, but he was at a loss. Heero leaned close to him, and Duo started to panic. Was Heero going to kiss him? HERE?

"We're going to be late," Heero breathed in his ear as he walked past him. Duo just watched him go for several seconds before he followed.


Heero waited for him at the entrance, while Duo explained that this was a very important client, and that no matter what Duo said, it was important that Heero go along with him. Heero had his bored expression on, and Duo wondered, not for the first time, if he'd made a mistake. Then he thought of spending the entire evening alone with Milliardo Peacecraft, especially after the way Wufei had complained about him, and decided that nothing could be worse than that.

tbc

~~~~~~~

I admit it. I know nothing about Japanese etiquette, and I know nothing about Rodeo Drive other than there really ARE stores that require reservations just to SHOP there. I highly doubt Prada Men is one of them, but I'll leave it up to you to decide whether that's my using artistic license or the sales peon being a complete weenie to Heero. I did read somewhere that it was VERY common for Japanese tourists to spend an exorbitant amount of money at Prada Men. Go figure. Seems I'm forgetting a couple other "I'm an ignoramus" disclaimers down here, but I'm sure you'll figure 'em out, and if not, go me!

Updates from hereon out may be a bit appearing less frequently, as I am trying not to rush through my setting the stage for what comes later. Emphasis on trying.

Today's vocabulary lesson:

Omnificent - creating all things (all creating)
Omnipotent - infinite in power (all powerful)
Omniscient - having infinite or extensive knowledge (all knowing)